Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once had a brand new set of Zeros exhibit the rocking. New cleats with new pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to disagree somewhat here. I dislike the movement in speedplay as small as it may be compared to the more solid platform of Time I cam from. As for other pedals I can't make a comparison as I haven't tried them but all my bikes have Speedplay pedals now. As I stated early there is a more solid feel with the aluminium plate cleats than the walkables that I prefer but I the walkable cleats trump the old style well to walk in and for aero and I no longer have a set as I replaced them after they wore out.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jul 23, 19 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
I once had a brand new set of Zeros exhibit the rocking. New cleats with new pedals.

here's some info on speedplay platform size. as to rocking. absolutely possible to have rocking. very hard to have rocking if you're using a compatible shoe (the great majority of shoes) and if you mount them right. here's a cheat page.

mind, i love shimano. and i ride egg beaters for MTB. and i'm with you. as we used to say in my day, if this pedal's a rockin', don't come a knockin'. but this is my install. and pardon, i just unpacked from a race over the weekend and everything's filthy. but if you install the pedals right, with the right hardware, on all but the very few incompatible shoes, ain't no rockin. when i see trouble it's because the cleats were mounted "around" the curvature of the shoe (without the necessary hardware).

many or most people don't understand the features of this pedal. if they did, they'd look at this pedal more closely. speedplay is a partner of ours. but they only became a partner about 2 months ago, after quite a few years of my championining this pedal with no agreement between that company and mine. i can only suspect they reached a point where they got tired of spending their money in places that didn't understand the value of the pedal; the specific features that i find of specific value that are not offered in any other pedal.

for those who don't know what the features are, i'm happy to explain. and i have had pedals that rock. that do not exhibit a union between pedal and cleat that is free of play. but not speedplay. this shoe i'm using, the shimano s-phyre, is certainly among the most popular shoes in triathlon. if you place speedplays on this shoe and there's play in the system, i promise you it's not the shoe's fault, and it's not the pedal's fault. same with most other shoes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this on the subject.

http://www.speedplay.com/...dcompare.roadresults

As an additional consideration I've seen it written elsewhere that minimising the stack height between the centre of the pedal spindle and sole of the foot helps with power transfer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
-

The pictures show (at least to my point of view) a set-up for non-speedplay shoes with the adapter (I have this too). There ist however a nasty clearance between the cleat and the shoe. Speedplay solved this problem:
https://www.bike24.de/...mid%5B24%5D=1;page=4
(sorry about the german shop where I always order)
That fills up the gap smoothly.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Slowman wrote:
-

The pictures show (at least to my point of view) a set-up for non-speedplay shoes with the adapter (I have this too). There ist however a nasty clearance between the cleat and the shoe. Speedplay solved this problem:
https://www.bike24.de/...mid%5B24%5D=1;page=4
(sorry about the german shop where I always order)
That fills up the gap smoothly.

i wouldn't say it's a nasty clearance problem. however, i do know that speedplay considers the gap between the pedal and the foot to be a feature, so, it doesn't surprise me that it created a solution that addresses that. this mount in my images is probably 2yr old.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,
I like the way Speedplay pedals feel, but I have been unable to set them up to where they don't make squeaking noises.
It does sound like it could be cleat to shoe interface as you describe. It sounds to me like it is the rubber cover squeaking against the pedal spindle.
Is this possible?
Would getting the cleat flatter on the shoe help with this?
I am using Bont shoes with the recommended adaptor pieces- 5-F & 5-R Snap-Shims. May require "Extra Shim" under cleat-mounting screw of each V.2 Base Plate.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the walkable? I had that with my first pair. Make sure the walkable cover is all the on. Also, I put just a dab of White Lighting right where the edge of the cover is over the spindle. Never had the problem since.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are walkable- Newer style with yellow rubber cover.
I have tried lube like that- Didn't help and was messy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Zeros for a couple of years and liked them for all the reasons others have stated. No longer. They wear out relatively quickly resulting in slop between the pedal and cleat. This is manifested by a side-to side rocking motion of the shoe over the pedal.

The problem with the Speedplays is that the pedal body wears down rather quickly due to the abrasive action of the dirt which gets trapped between the pedal and cleat. Also, the plastic plate inside the cleat, which is the primary weight and friction-bearing surface that the pedal rides and turns on, is subject to the same wear as the pedal, only it is at a significantly greater rate as it's composed of a softer material than the pedal body and really shows the wear. It develops rather deep indentations that are the mirror-image of the pedal itself, as the pedal is constantly rotating against this surface. If there is the smallest amount of grit between the pedal and the cleat, the wear action and subsequent slop is accelerated significantly.

One cannot tell by looking that the pedal body is wearing until it's too late. A dial caliper is required to measure the thickness of the pedal. The outside portion of the pedal is the location of the greatest wear (this is the 3 o'clock position, looking down from the saddle, for the right side, 9 o'clock for the left). When new, the pedal body thickness is .675". Seven months after initial installation, the pedal bodies had worn down to .635", a full .040"! This is about the thickness of the wire that a large paper clip is made of. (It's a lot of wear). The cleat plate had indentations that were .070" deep! When I clipped in, there was all kinds of slop, as the total gap was around .110". I have found that the pedal starts to feel sloppy when the outside of the pedal body has lost around .010". Bear in mind that the cleat will have at least the same amount of wear and usually more (say .015" or so). One feels the wear as a tendency for the foot to roll to the outside. It really doesn't take much wear to feel this sloppiness, and it snowballs once it has started. The gap between the pedal and cleat gets bigger and the slop gets worse. Keeping this pedal/cleat system spotless at all times is critical if you want any longevity.

I switched to Shimano Ultegra pedals with the blue cleat and have never looked back. The stability is rock solid, the float is perfect, AND there is simply no cleat better for walking around.

Just my .02c. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by: Fretking: Jul 25, 19 2:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone through 3-4 dura-ace pedals, each one of them lasting less than year. Every single time, one of the pedals develops massive play and I literally can feel my foot/shoe/cleat moving within the pedal during every pedal stroke. One time it got so bad, I struggled to get into and out of the pedal. I always run relatively new cleats and the tension on the pedals is set to pretty low.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have been contemplating the switch to speedplay.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I've gone through 3-4 dura-ace pedals, each one of them lasting less than year. Every single time, one of the pedals develops massive play and I literally can feel my foot/shoe/cleat moving within the pedal during every pedal stroke. One time it got so bad, I struggled to get into and out of the pedal. I always run relatively new cleats and the tension on the pedals is set to pretty low.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have been contemplating the switch to speedplay.

That's very atypical. DA pedals are regarded by most as being bulletproof and have a great rep for durability and longevity.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
I really don't know why anyone would buy anything else unless they had an overriding brand affinity.

Two negatives about speedplays: cost and maintenance. Upfront they're slightly expensive compared to other systems and the replacement cleats are super expensive compared to others. The cleats must be dry lubed fairly often or they start to feel "sticky" and need to regrease the spindles once or twice a year. That being said, all of my bikes have speedplays on them.

Really. Wow didn’t know this

I have over 20,000 miles on my speedplay Pedals.

May actually be closer to 25,000 miles

Probably 10,000 outside the rest on a trainer

They are 11 years old

I’ve never walked with them on as I just take my feet out of the shoe and leave them on the bike

Maybe this is why they’ve lasted so long?

They don’t squeak and I don’t think they rock

Have never done any maintenance or used any lube on them . Didn’t know I needed to

How many watts do you think I’m wasting?

Maybe I should just buy a new pair and maintain them properly?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 29, 19 20:14
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience the same, lots and lots of miles on several sets of speedplay pedals. Never lube them and they just run fine forever. Much lower stack and better feel versus Look/Shimano.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. I have one pair of Speedplay X-2s I have been riding since the mid to late 90s. Damn close to 25 years. I only inject new grease every couple of years. My old GF ended up with my pair I bought early 2000s. I have two other newer pairs I bought for additional bikes. They last. My feet turn a bit sideways when I pedal, pointing slightly leftward. They find their natural position with the float.

I switched to Speedplay Paves on my Titanium bike I travel with. For long tours getting off my bike I like to know a little mud will not stop me from clipping in. The engagement is very solid but a little harder to pop in and out. On the walkable cleats, I did lose one of the rubber part in Ireland. I usually pack spare cleats for long tours, so was good, but I could have ridden with it just fine.

There used to be a mechanic/fitter at the shop I worked at that always recommended Shimano pedals. That was because that was all he rode. A few of those people I ended up switching to Speedplay when they came back in. I see no advantage using Shimano over Speedplay for a triathlete.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT wrote:
Same. I have one pair of Speedplay X-2s I have been riding since the mid to late 90s. Damn close to 25 years. I only inject new grease every couple of years. My old GF ended up with my pair I bought early 2000s. I have two other newer pairs I bought for additional bikes. They last. My feet turn a bit sideways when I pedal, pointing slightly leftward. They find their natural position with the float.

I switched to Speedplay Paves on my Titanium bike I travel with. For long tours getting off my bike I like to know a little mud will not stop me from clipping in. The engagement is very solid but a little harder to pop in and out. On the walkable cleats, I did lose one of the rubber part in Ireland. I usually pack spare cleats for long tours, so was good, but I could have ridden with it just fine.

There used to be a mechanic/fitter at the shop I worked at that always recommended Shimano pedals. That was because that was all he rode. A few of those people I ended up switching to Speedplay when they came back in. I see no advantage using Shimano over Speedplay for a triathlete.

Lol 25 years incredible

I have to tell the truth mine are closer to 15 years but thought people would call BS

I feel better now after reading your post

😀
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Coincidentally, my DA pedals have started to get play in them again. Enough is enough. Speedplay zero aero are on order.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about this guy's assertion that Speedplay is only good if you're light weight? I'm a huge guy with huge feet and am curious about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdvrCFWIx8I
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
What about this guy's assertion that Speedplay is only good if you're light weight? I'm a huge guy with huge feet and am curious about it.

I have 5,000 miles on my Speedplays X5s and haven't done any maintenance on them.

Of the three of us in my normal ride group, two have switched to Speedplays and our knee pain has gone away. The third was already using Speedplays. Maybe all in my head or should be fixed elsewhere, but I can ride longer and pain free now.

On the weight issue, I'm 190-200#, but don't put out much power, so I can't comment on that aspect.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:

I have 5,000 miles on my Speedplays X5s and haven't done any maintenance on them.

Of the three of us in my normal ride group, two have switched to Speedplays and our knee pain has gone away. The third was already using Speedplays. Maybe all in my head or should be fixed elsewhere, but I can ride longer and pain free now.

On the weight issue, I'm 190-200#, but don't put out much power, so I can't comment on that aspect.

i just published our analysis piece on shoe/pedal choices made by the top 15 men and women in kona, versus the general population of kona racers. it's on our front page. the male and female kona winners, along with 5 of the first 7 men, 3 of the first 4 women, were on speedplay, and was the choice of more of these top 15 athletes than any other brand.

because i work with both the brands and the athletes, i can say with pretty good assurance that this was not a sponsor money choice these athletes were making.

with respect and deference to the individual issues one user or another might've had with speedplay, this article reports on the choice made at the highest levels of long distance triathlon. what i can say with confidence is that certain recurring mythology about speedplay (e.g., base of support not large enough) is just hogwash. this certainly appears the pedal of choice (closely followed by dura ace) among those with earnings on the line, when sponsor money is not the issue.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried Shimano's yellow 1.6 degree lateral float cleats and noticed my right knee hurt so tried the Speedplay and haven't had any knee problems since. I have them on Bont Zeros and noticed the adapter shims were not a good fit to the sole. I filed the shims a little and still not perfect so I put masking tape on the shoe, a glob of 5 minute metal epoxy, bolted the cleat on, wiped off the excess, and let the epoxy become part of the shims and adapter. After removing the tape and reassembling the shims I see no light between the shims and sole. No maintenance, noises, or problems, but only 2000km on them. I will try Shimano again someday with the maximum float cleats just to give it another chance and reduce stack height of the cleat since I have to use the 3 hole adapters on Bonts. I have Shimano style MTB cleats on my folding bike and don't have any knee problems but they have a lot of float. I saw a Youtube once asking Tour de France pro's and think a few used cleats with some float.
Last edited by: Ttakata73: Dec 31, 19 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [Ttakata73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ttakata73 wrote:
I tried Shimano's yellow 1.6 degree lateral float cleats and noticed my right knee hurt so tried the Speedplay and haven't had any knee problems since. I have them on Bont Zeros and noticed the adapter shims were not a good fit to the sole. I filed the shims a little and still not perfect so I put masking tape on the shoe, a glob of 5 minute metal epoxy, bolted the cleat on, wiped off the excess, and let the epoxy become part of the shims and adapter. After removing the tape and reassembling the shims I see no light between the shims and sole. No maintenance, noises, or problems, but only 2000km on them. I will try Shimano again someday with the maximum float cleats just to give it another chance and reduce stack height of the cleat since I have to use the 3 hole adapters on Bonts. I have Shimano style MTB cleats on my folding bike and don't have any knee problems but they have a lot of float. I saw a Youtube once asking Tour de France pro's and think a few used cleats with some float.

interesting you have a bont zero & speedplay issue. that's the set up used by frodeno and lieferman. i would not have thought that would yield any mounting issues. i've used bont & speedplay together plenty and haven't had trouble, both tri and road shoes, but i don't have the zero+ so i can't speak to that shoe.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shoe size and cleat placement sometimes means the purple shims aren't 'thick' enough to keep the baseplate in plane. even not on bont shoes sometimes I do a kludge and use the keyhole shaped shim (you know, the one you throw away lol) as an extra wedgie underneath the 6F wedge.

there is very little curvature to bonts so yes this sounds a little weird. but with a tiny shoe (under size...40?) the squared off area for the cleat is smaller too. the back of the baseplate hangs over the arch area.

will also say that lateral knee pain may not just be a float issue, more of a tibial torsion issue, possibly coming from the ankle.

also, shimano spd mtb cleats do not have float at all. do not confuse a loose spring tension with float.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
with respect and deference to the individual issues one user or another might've had with speedplay, this article reports on the choice made at the highest levels of long distance triathlon. what i can say with confidence is that certain recurring mythology about speedplay (e.g., base of support not large enough) is just hogwash. this certainly appears the pedal of choice (closely followed by dura ace) among those with earnings on the line, when sponsor money is not the issue.

Speaking of Speedplay support I haven’t seen anything in bike industry news about the new owners closing their San Diego facility, laying off all existing employees, reducing pedal model offerings and moving production oversees. The Speedplays we’re used to may not be the Speedplays of the future. Could be they’re better or they could be worse either way I don’t like seeing big business do this to small business:(
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does huge guy mean? I ride at 195-205 and have had no issues with these pedals and love them. Can’t imagine going back to another pedal despite some good experiences with other pedals. These are just that much better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next