Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue....
Quote | Reply
 I was going to order disc cover from Wheelbuilder.com, but they emailed me back and stated there isn't enough clearance between the disc cover and speed sensor.

Anyone else heard this or have a suggestion? How are Lieto and company running discs on their SC's?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [Speedracer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They use real discs, not disc covers.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so you are saying their discs are thinner than a disc cover? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk. I'm just curious in the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [Speedracer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dics are lenticular. Wheelcovers follow the spoke patterns. Think about it this way: if you look at a bike w/ a disc from directly behind the wheel is completely flat, while a disc-covered wheel is more diamond shaped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Was not aware of this and was planning on ordering a disc cover for my SC.

Hmmm. I guess I'll make do with my S60s.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How far does the speed sensor stick out?

I have been running an 808 with cover on my SC without clearance issues, but I don't use the speed sensor.

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does that apply to all disc covers or only disc covers on certain wheels?

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [usedzipp.com] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is for the Aeolus 9.0 rear wheel.

Vikki told me that a customer with a 6.5 Aeolus rear wheel had an issue with the disc rubbing the speed sensor.

How can you NOT run the speed sensor? Don't I need it for my Node 2 computer?

Last edited by: SpeedRacer1: Apr 3, 11 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So without the actual speed sensor in the bike you can run a disc cover?

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [usedzipp.com] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is correct. However, I'm not sure how you could run without the speed sensor. Did you see the pic I added? It's the one she sent me of a customers bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am assuming that the disc cover is touching the little rubber lip of the speed sensor. If you take that out, I was assuming the disc would not touch the frame but maybe I should give wheelbuilder a call.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I has me a quarq and a garmin 310xt. I'm assuming that means I have no reason to worry about a wheel builder cover? I'm ordering one for the aeo 6.5s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you call, ask for Vikki. I just sent her pictures that I took with my bike and wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You dont have to use the Bontrager integrated speed sensor. Any ant+ capable speed/cadence sensor will work. It just wont be as...integrated.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dics are lenticular. Wheelcovers follow the spoke patterns. Think about it this way: if you look at a bike w/ a disc from directly behind the wheel is completely flat, while a disc-covered wheel is more diamond shaped. "

Mmmn, skipped a few geometry classes there. Some disks are flat sided like you describe, others are lenticular to one degree or another. Some have more complex shapes. A spoked wheel with a rim is pretty close to lenticular (lens shaped) if the rim is shallow. If anything the issue is that the cover is to lenticular.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might be able to do the 'tape the cover to the spokes from the inside" trick to make it work, as some have on the Transition

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops I got a word wrong. Thanks for the clarification. Geometry sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a WB wheelcover on my SC with no problems. I have the Aeolus 6.5 wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run disc covers for both 808 and 404 wheels with no clearance issues on my SC. I even tape a magnet on the cover surface for the duotrap sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [Grim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I hope I have zero issues with this. I'm going on an ordering it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! So much much for the vanity of new and improved TT/Tri design. Perhaps had you purchased a lowly "last year's model" this wouldn't be a issue.

Further, why would you pay for the "best aero frame in the world" and then slap a crappy disk cover on a sub-par, non-aero, spoked wheel? Good luck focusing and enjoying your new ride as you hear that thing rattling in the wind.

Based on your other posts bashing "3-year-old aero designs," I don't get it......

Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing crappy and subpar is your post!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Owners/Wheelbuilder Disc Cover issue.... [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And since when did Bontrgaer 9.0 Aeolus wheels become "crappy" and "subpar"? That's the first time I ever heard that one.
Last edited by: Speedracer1: Mar 4, 11 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eerrr....because its cheaper than buying a disc which might only get used a couple of times a year and only takes 5 mins to take on and off. A couple bits of equally cheap tape cures the 'rattling'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to hear a response as to how a Aeolus with a cover is in any way sub-par. The wind would say otherwise. And if you're wheel cover is rattling in the wind, then you don't know how to mount it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next