Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scobig wrote:
Had exactly the same thing happen two weeks ago. The bike store sent it back to Specialized who did the repair but it still didn't hold. Specialized are now sending me a new frame. The amazing part is that after the repair they accidentally sent out a replacement frame that was the wrong size. In the interim I had to leave for Ironman Austria so Specialized worked with my LBS (Gears in Port Credit, Canada) to build and box the bike there and the ship it to me in Klagenfurt - at Specialized's cost. It is meant to arrive tomorrow and I could not be more satisfied.

This right here is pretty bad ass. Sucks that they sent out the wrong size frame. But, it is pretty stand up that they took care of the situation like this. Good luck at IM Austria btw

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened last June. It actually became very stressful when I still did not have the bike two days before the race. For some reason it became stuck at Customs in Vienna and I ended up having to pay duty before they would release it (thank goodness for making new, Austrian friends!)

'Speaking' of costs, I also recall having to pay my LBS the labour cost of tearing down and rebuilding the new frame the first time, as well as the original shipping to Specialized. So to the poster that wondered if this is covered by Specialized you may wish to check with your LBS.

Finally, the seat post screws have not been touched since we returned from Austria. I'm tearing the bike down for Lanzarote in three weeks and, thanks for this thread, now have my fingers very tightly crossed!
Last edited by: scobig: Apr 21, 14 2:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fyi….I was wrong. Specialized does not reimburse for labor.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are supposed to cover labor if your frame is less than a year old. Just sent my frame in for seatpost warranty....hoping they don't do the epoxy band aid.....said 3 weeks....
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Fuquani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great - so this means I'll ride my next race in 2 weeks on the road bike! Back to basics. :)
Just got back from my ride and had to change the seat height half way through when I noticed that one of the screws got pulled out on my bike as well. Somebody already said it: pretty amazing, they haven't changed anything about this on the newer bikes. I'm riding a 2012 Shiv Module and the 2014 versions seem to be exactly the same... Anyways, let's wait and see!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [sefro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying the epoxy fix. Come on Specialized let's get it together. I got 5 of your bikes. Not good.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [sefro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sefro wrote:
Great - so this means I'll ride my next race in 2 weeks on the road bike! Back to basics. :)
Just got back from my ride and had to change the seat height half way through when I noticed that one of the screws got pulled out on my bike as well. Somebody already said it: pretty amazing, they haven't changed anything about this on the newer bikes. I'm riding a 2012 Shiv Module and the 2014 versions seem to be exactly the same... Anyways, let's wait and see!

Supposedly the insert that the screw is inserted to has been lengthened and wraps more towards the front of the seat post tube. You cannot see it….but heard this was their fix. I am on frame #3 (first with this new insert) and don't have a race for several months….so may try adjusting the seat and see what happens. Hoping this is the fix. Perhaps they are adding the new inserts in the warranty fix and then epoxying them in there….so the warranty fixes have a permanent solution as well.
Last edited by: NeverEnough: Jun 7, 14 3:51
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just noticed this problem whilst packing my bike tonight, travelling to the Nationals (UK) tomorrow so don't have time to go to my LBS.

Seat seems to be secure and since it's a 40k bike leg it should hold I think.

Rather not get a new frame to be honest, but I'll take what I can get.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [SamH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a frame from early 2012. So mine is susceptible? I disassembled the bike for travel about 15 times so far. No problems. To echo someone else, yes can someone please post a picture of the damage?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll get a post up tomorrow when I unpack the bike, with any luck the seat post should hold under most conditions, I think cobbles, rough surfaces might accelerate the damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [SamH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any new issues or was the problem isolated and a non-issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized is a little like Garmin. They know they have quality issues so they just kill you with great customer service. With Garmin I think it's actually part of their business plan.

Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Specialized is a little like Garmin. They know they have quality issues so they just kill you with great customer service. With Garmin I think it's actually part of their business plan.

Rofl SOOOO TRUE (at least with garmin havent had issues with my shiv yet)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same thing happen to me right after Steelhead last year, 5 weeks out from IM Wisconsin. Sounds like the exact same process. LBS called Specialized who told them to try gluing it back in with a special epoxy, and when that didn't work Specialized wanted it shipped to them to fix. After having it quite a bit longer than they said they would, now probably two weeks out from IM, they finally sent it back to the shop but without fixing anything. My LBS went to bat for me and Specialized ended up over-nighting an S-Works frame as a replacement. This was a huge upgrade as I started with the Comp. Minus the moments of terror caused by not having a tri bike until 10 days before my first IM, it all worked out and Specialized and my LBS came through.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [benlindell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just had the same issue with my 2013 expert. Waiting to hear back from LBS. Only 37 days to IMAZ so they had better hurry.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [benlindell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent my 2014 for repair in December of 13 and they fixed the clamp issue. Just the other day it pulled out again. I guess the frame is of to specialize again. Maybe a new frame as the fix did not hold. Only noticed it as my saddle was dropping.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized made things right. Kudos to specialized.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i. I am trying to find out if anyone else has had any issues with their specialized shiv and the seatpost clamp. I was out riding the other day and noticed my seat had moved. Upon checking the clamp I noticed one of the screws were holding. The lug has come lose from the frame. Looking on line I have seen it is a regular issue in America where specialized have had to replace frame due to this issue.

Well I contacted specialized and have been informed it's nothing to do with them because the bike was brought secondhand. So I mentioned the life time warranty on the frame, only to be told only with the original buyer. I then stated this isn't a user issue it's a product fault and there needs to be a recall or company repair. They have virtually wiped their hands with this problem. I thought specialized were better then that.

I have an ironman race very soon and need this repaired. I now have no bike to race or train on. Any help will be appreciated thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Rickyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you ever figure anything out?

My seatpost clamp failed... the metal piece inset into the frame to hold the bolt came out.

I am the original owner, and even though I registered the frame with Specialized when I bought it new, the LBS is saying specialized wont warranty it without an original receipt, which I don't have, was never even given one.

I had to suck it up and call my ex wife to have her go back through our old checking account, which she has now, and see if she could find where we wrote a check for the bike, that was a shitty phone call to make, she hated me buying that bike.

The LBS told me I'm probably screwed because specialized had turned into real hard asses about fixing these frames since they had to fix so many.

Anyone had any luck with this lately?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds more like your LBS doesn't want to work with you. I'm a Specialized dealer and have had a few frames fail but haven't had any problem getting them repaired or replaced. It's a pain, I hope they have a new design coming out soon but you should be getting better service from your bike shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [jimmytheeagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been tweaking the bike position on the shiv lately so there's lots of saddle post movement. Hoping the lugs fail here at home and not when I'm assembling the bike in a hotel room somewhere. Frame is 4 years old, has seen over a dozen trips in a bike box, and the seatpost has been moved at least a dozen times more. So far so good but I just know it the lugs will fail the day before a race.

Always use a torque wrench BTW.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [jimmytheeagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's exactly right. They're not selling anything out of it and won't help me.

What's the point of registering a bike to me if that won't count for a warranty? I'm beyond pissed and now don't have a bike to race this year. I'm screwed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My clamp went out 10 days before St. George (figures), they said it would be 3 weeks to send it back to the factory. Ugh so I was preparing to ride my road bike. Then my local bike shop (Peloton) called me the next day, and said a new frame was being sent overnight! So impressed with Specialized and LBS , they came through and did the extra customer service so I had my Shiv for race day. My experience has been fantastic

"Don't mistake activity for achievement"
-John Wooden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried sending Mark Cote a DM? For reference, he goes by the user name MITaerobike. I would be very surprised if he wasn't able to sort something out with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but I will try that now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next