Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [AeroTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I know for a lot of people this process is very straight forward and they understand the science/math and protocols that make it accurate and effective. I am not one of these people. I guess that is what made aerotune appealing. It told me step by step what to do and then I did it. It told me how to find a route, how to set up my test rigs, how to set up my computer when to push certain buttons, and things like that. I am going to dedicate time this summer to VE though. Life gets busy and sometimes we pay for convenience, this being one of them for me right now. Finding a course is the toughest for me. Would a large school parking lot work? The difficult thing would be getting up to race speed. I live in very rural Wyoming so highways and backroads are usually where there are large paved routes.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During this last year I've been using empty big box store parking lots, but now that half the population has been vaccinated and business is getting back close to normal I'm hoping the parking lots will be full again. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Here, the wind picks up in the afternoon so the best time for me to go out is near dawn or late at night. The big box store parking lots might still be empty after 10pm or so, but I'd check with the security guards to let them know I'm just a harmless guy riding my bike doing science.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
but I'd check with the security guards to let them know I'm just a harmless guy riding my bike doing science.

Picturing this conversation made me chuckle.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Just got the helmet. This is my impression.

- Material for the visor is better than Giro Aerohead, so it won't crack as it's pretty flexible.
- I wear Aerohead medium, but a couple of spots bothers me. This fits perfectly and I ordered S/M based on their size chart. Circumference of my head is a little over 22
- My ears hurt when I put it on, but it gets better once I get used to it.
- Easy access to the dial in the back and easy to adjust as well.
- Vent is attached by magnet, so it's easy to remove. I thought it was a plug like Louis Garneau P-09.
- This is definitely not for Sprint Tri if you want a fast transition. You can wear Aerohead much faster. Definitely, needs some practice if you want to wear it fast.
- Visor can be attached upside down like Aerohead with two front magnets.
- You can't wear glasses under the visor. There's no space.
- I think this helmet is more compact and light compared to Aerohead.

That's all I can think of at he moment.

One more addition. Portion that covers you ears is very flexible, so you can grab and bend them out when you wear the helmet. It's much better but still my ears are not comfortable.
I thought about getting one size bigger but I doubt it because my head fits perfectly inside of the helmet. I don't know why they made ear area so damn tight!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any feedback on how this helmet is in the heat, I have IMCoz coming up this year. I currently race in the vented Aerohead (not Ultimate). I am of course encouraged by these results for the Rudy Project Wing.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had this helmet since July of last year. Had several rides in the 3-4 hour range in temps in mid to upper 80s. Found the airflow with the vent cover removed/visor on to be fine but couldn’t quite manage as well with the vent cover on. Tried a couple times but ultimately pulled the vent cover off and put in my jersey pocket. Plus side everything is magnetic so quite easy to manage on the fly.
Last edited by: kansaiben: Apr 22, 21 20:14
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had 3 people try it on in the tunnel.

Vs the Aerohead it went 1-1-1. I don't have CdA's in front of me at the moment.

Rider 1 the RP was faster at both 0 & -7.5 yaw.
Rider 2 it was not faster than the aerohead
Rider 3 the aerohead was ~2w faster at zero and I ran an extra data point at -7.5 bc the subject moved a bit. With the extra data point and removing the twitch the RP was 1w faster at -7.5. With the twitch in there it was a bit slower than the Aerohead. I'm inclined to say in a controlled environment the RP for that rider was a touch faster at -7.5. In a less controlled environment, such as outside the Aerohead may be a better choice.

I have bagged on RP for years about how bad their helmets were. It's RP's first legit aero helmet. Given the limited data so far it's doing well against the Aerohead which is something no other company can really say. IDK if there is enough data to say this helmet is the new meta, as of now though given the data out there it's pretty legit.

In May I have another testing session where I'll be getting at least 2 more riders in it to test. Still have room for 1 more rider if they are interested in seeing how it does for them. Or if several want to do just helmet testing I can probably squeeze 3-4 people in to test 3-5 helmets each

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
mgreer wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I should note that three of the athletes: David, Melissa, and Tony, tested their personal aero helmets during the testing. David and Melissa had the P09 and Tony had the SWorks TT helmet. None of these helmets beat any of the three main helmets, though that pesky P09 was pretty close to the Aerohead for David and both the Aerohead and Cerebel for Melissa. These numbers were not included because not all athletes tested them.

That seems to line up with the previous assessments that the P09 is pretty quick on lots of people, but maybe rarely the fastest for anyone. As such, not a bad bet if you're not going to do testing. Was the P09 tested without visor and plug? That seems to be the consensus fastest set-up.

Yes. Tested plug out and without the visor/shield.

Is the p-09 generally fastest plug out and no visor? I’m only asking because it’s counterintuitive.

Thanks and sorry for the somewhat redundant post.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a few weeks of using the RP I'm saying its definitely faster for me than my P09. The RP gives me a better field of view due to it's better fit on my head which allows me to turtle better. I don't think the RP would be a great sprint lid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desert Dude,

I'm a little confused here. It looks like it went 1-2-tie vs the Aerohead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did any of them happen to test with the visor off?
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [PineCreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PineCreek wrote:
Desert Dude,

Depends how you look at it.
If you leave the bad data point in the Aerohead was faster, if you take it out, the RP was faster. I'm calling that a tie. I don't place a ton of weight, or at least not as much weight on the 0 yaw reading as I do at yaw. You're going to spend more time at yaw than at 0. The Aerohead was ~2w faster there and probably for that rider will be the faster overall helmet, but by a slim margin. Of course when you're a pro triathlete & cyclist or maybe it's pro cyclist & triathlete, slim margins matter.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:

No one did.
After looking at the helmet & how it's constructed, I doubt many, if any, will test that way. I'd be willing to bet given how the helmet looks without a visor that it's not fast unless the visor is in place.

IIRC you said you needed to wear rx glasses. Your best bet is probably the P09 or maybe even an older Giro Advantage 2. You might, might, be able to get RX glasses under a selector or bell javelin.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Cajer wrote:

No one did.
After looking at the helmet & how it's constructed, I doubt many, if any, will test that way. I'd be willing to bet given how the helmet looks without a visor that it's not fast unless the visor is in place.

IIRC you said you needed to wear rx glasses. Your best bet is probably the P09 or maybe even an older Giro Advantage 2. You might, might, be able to get RX glasses under a selector or bell javelin.

I have a L Aerohead and my RX glasses (squared, relatively large lenses) fit. My cheekbones are closer to the visor cover than my glasses.

Visor is close enough that it'll cause fogging in hotter weather on climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No one did.

I did... out of curiosity and for the sake of comparing my P09 setup to the same setup on The Wing. My results are in page 3.

For sure it's not an helmet that we designed with "non visor use" in mind and that's ok ! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
Is the p-09 generally fastest plug out and no visor? I’m only asking because it’s counterintuitive.

Thanks and sorry for the somewhat redundant post.

I thought that was only above 37kph/23mph?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5026054#p5026054
Last edited by: agreif: Apr 26, 21 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
PineCreek wrote:
Desert Dude,

Depends how you look at it.
If you leave the bad data point in the Aerohead was faster, if you take it out, the RP was faster. I'm calling that a tie. I don't place a ton of weight, or at least not as much weight on the 0 yaw reading as I do at yaw. You're going to spend more time at yaw than at 0. The Aerohead was ~2w faster there and probably for that rider will be the faster overall helmet, but by a slim margin. Of course when you're a pro triathlete & cyclist or maybe it's pro cyclist & triathlete, slim margins matter.

Not a pro here. It looks like a wash between the two me. I was eyeballing the Wing but I snagged a new Aerohead for $200 and couldn't pass that up.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
Not a pro here. It looks like a wash between the two me. I was eyeballing the Wing but I snagged a new Aerohead for $200 and couldn't pass that up.

Because it is so close, for me and I think a lot of people, it will come down to fit. I had to wear a med in the Aerohead, but it constantly moved around and I ended up having trouble seeing at times and holding my head still. The Wing fits tighter for me and by extension will allow me to keep my head more still and in the end be faster overall. Still too new it to tell, but the non-scientific early test rides I did seem to point in that direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [ntnyln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree....I wear a M in a Aerohead and it fits fine. A helmet is all but useless if it doesn't fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [ntnyln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other Rudy helmets I wear a medium. For the S/M I was on the maximum end of the fit scale, put it on and it rubbed my ears kinda uncomfortably. I bought a S/M in their first order that went out to public through their club affiliate program. I spoke with their rep at IMAZ about it and they said to get on my bike trainer and wear it for an hour and if it didn't get comfortable to send it in whenever they came back in stock. Sent it back and got a large. Really like the fit of the large.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey desert dude or anyone else here.

Does anyone have any aero data relating to the Scott Split Plus like the one Kienle, Norden and the Brownless have been using?
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:

Sure from the data points it's a wash. But in real life no one rides still. You're moving around and the aerohead proved and has proven to be the more consistent helmet across a wide spectrum of riders and conditions when you consider all the data on both helmets. That to be is enough to give it the nod over the RP.

For a rider like ntnyln who said the areohead moved around on their head a lot they may need a smaller size or tighten it or it just may not fit as well. In that situation, where you can't get the helmet to sit still I'd probably recommend the RP.

Aero testing isn't about the smallest number always. It's about blending the smallest number with a sustainable position, gear that allows you to maximize your performance (ie not moving your head around), gear & a position that allows you to sustain the longest amount of time using the best aero discipline (riding as still as possible) that you possess and providing options that allow you to achieve the best performance.

For example I chatted yesterday with someone where going up or down 1cm in stack height made 0 difference in power or drag. Yet, while they can hold the lower position, 1cm higher is a more comfy. Even if it had been 2w slower using the higher position is still a valid option if it allows them to be in the aero position for longer. Or the now know they have the option of using the higher position for LC racing and the lower position for SC racing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the update. I've been using The Wing lately and it's the best helmet you can get. Giro Aerohead is big, bulky and heavy, so I can't use it anymore after I discovered The Wing. I've been suffering from a long ride because my neck hurts and turned out it's the damn helmet!!! The Wing fits much better and everything's in better quality which means no more crack on the visor. My size is S/M and Aerohead won't fit well. The Wing fits 100% perfectly. If you remove the vent cover which is attached by magnets, your head cools down pretty quick too. I practiced and can put it on fast now so it's good for Sprint & Olympic distances as well. Not to mention, my run got better because of no more neck pain. I fell in love this helmet and can't wait for the next race. I even bought their Spinshield to replace old Sutro. I had to chat and call for issues with orders(mistake on my side) but they took care of it right away. Rudy Project really upped the game and I'm very happy with their products and service. If you get a chance, try it on and see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update with some more data points.

My personal helmet, the Aerohead still crushes all the other helmets on me, including the wing. The wing only lost by 6 watts to the aerohead. 6 watts is an ass whipping btw. Not even close.

BUT

on the next subject I tested today (this was their 2nd trip in) the Rudy beat the POC, which beat the aerohead. The RP Wing was 2w faster than anything else.

Like anything, win some lose some & if you're not going to test, buy the helmet that makes you look like the fastest badass you can be.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next