Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results
Quote | Reply
I've been meaning to post this on a day were I'd have time to answer questions, but that's just not happening right now as we're so busy, so here you go...

We recently conducted an independent aero test on the Rudy Project Wing Aero Helmet. 2 women and 2 men tested the helmet against the Giro Aerohead Ultimate and the POC Cerebel. The results are below, and here is a link to the video. I’ll try to answer as many questions as possible, and I’ll give the AeroLab boys a heads-up that this thread is here so they can answer sensor-related questions.

A couple of notes:
We used the AeroLab AeroPro sensor for the testing. This allowed us to test outdoors on an out and back course. We’ve been using the AeroPro for some time now, and have found the results to be as accurate as any wind tunnel or velodrome testing we’ve done.

If you watch the video, please note we did not take the photos and video the same day as testing. Not a problem except the athletes were riding very easily, soft-pedaling really, and so their heads were up quite high and Athlete #4’s clothing was different. During testing, all their heads were much lower.

Each test consists of 3 out and back runs. The athletes had to get out of their position at every turnaround. This allowed us to determine if they were able to consistently repeat their position and, therefore, drag number. If the results were inconsistent, the tests were re-run. All tests were conducted at race pace. The CdA’s of the 3 runs were averaged for the final CdA.

I partly wonder if the consistency in results we saw was simply because all the athletes have very similar positions. All positions except the road bike with clip-on aero bars are aggressive with tilted forearms. Something to think about in the future.

I think our female athletes, who both wear size medium helmets, could possibly have been put in a small Aerohead and Cerebel, though I doubt they would be all that comfortable in them.

Rudy Project had no knowledge that we were conducting this test. We purchased the helmets with our own money, and did not receive compensation for this testing. Rudy Project was informed of the results once the testing was completed.

Results:

Athlete #1 – David

1. Giro Aerohead Ultimate .205
  2. RP Wing w/vent cover .200
  3. RP Wing w/o vent cover .201
  4. POC Cerebel .197
Athlete #2 - Melissa

1. Giro Aerohead Ultimate .248
  2. RP Wing w/vent cover .232
  3. RP Wing w/o vent cover .239
  4. POC Cerebel .242

Athlete #3 – Tony

1. Giro Aerohead Ultimate .229
  2. RP Wing w/vent cover .216
  3. RP Wing w/o vent cover .217
  4. POC Cerebel .221

Athlete #4 – Lisa

Position 1 – Road bike with Clip-On Aerobar

1. Giro Aerohead Ultimate .242
  2. RP Wing w/vent cover .238
  3. POC Cerebel .244

Position #2 – TriRig Omni

1. Giro Aerohead Ultimate .223
  2. RP Wing w/vent cover .218
  3. POC Cerebel .228

Interestingly, all the athletes love the Wing, and certainly preferred it over the other two helmets. All stated the helmet stayed in place better, was overall more comfortable, was easier to see out of, and it was by far the easiest to adjust as the halo dial is easily reached once on your head (watch the video).

Though these results may be a surprise to some, and were to me to a small extent, I had been given a heads-up from a World Tour team I work with that this helmet has been testing very fast on their athletes in the tunnel. I have since had athletes in the tunnel and the Wing consistently tests very fast confirming the results above. Those are not numbers I can share here.

So, it looks like Rudy Project has a winner on their hands with the Wing. It's fast and functions quite well. I can't express enough how much better the athletes liked the RP over the other two helmets. None of their responses were solicited as we were just testing the drag numbers, but it became a running joke as each athlete finished and said the same thing about the Wing.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for putting this out there. I got one of these because it was time to replace an old LG TT helmet from the mid 2000's. Guess it's no slouch.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How fast can you put this RP Wing helmet on? I can put Giro Aerohead on really fast and it's good for Sprint/Olympic triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing numbers being so close as they are makes me believe that most aero helmets are fairly similar. They all do look the same on the outside, to me they are all bambino lookalikes, so the preference of helmet would come down to personal style and not necessarily any serious advantage

This was a very well made video Jim, thank you

Strava
Last edited by: RossJ: Mar 18, 21 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to your point, we're not actually used to seeing the differences we experienced in these tests anymore. If you have a good position that you can maintain consistently, most of the newer helmets are going to be fast. So, to see the differences here was probably my biggest surprise. I knew the helmet had been testing well in the tunnel, but didn't expect these kind of results. I honestly thought if the Wing could get close to these two helmets, I would've been impressed enough. Instead, it performed as you see, and has continued to do so in the testing we and others have conducted since.

Maybe Kona qualifiers shouldn't expect a free Rudy Project helmet this year? LOL

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
How fast can you put this RP Wing helmet on? I can put Giro Aerohead on really fast and it's good for Sprint/Olympic triathlon.

Great question. It seemed very easy for our athletes to get on their head, and was by far the easiest to adjust once on. I don't think how easy the dial is to reach was by design (maybe it was), but it left a big impression on our athletes. Of course the Aerohead is always easy to put on, but tougher to adjust. The Cerebel was the hardest to get on (though not overly difficult by any means) and certainly the hardest to adjust.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
and did not receive compensation for this testing.

Probably should now as they’re about to see an uptick in sales. 😁

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did any of these testers use a size S aerohead? It doesn't appear the Rudy helmet comes in a size S, just a medium that they label 'S/M'. Seems like that could have an impact for someone that can fit a S on the aerohead, no?

ETA: Sorry, got to the end of the video and you addressed this.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Mar 18, 21 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post a picture of one of the athletes in the more turtled head position that you mention in the vid description and comments on youtube?

Would love to see a position that you would say is representative of how each of those athletes held their head during the testing! Just to get a better idea of what position the Wing is faster in.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. My only comment would be that it would have been nice to see each rider perform the test with a road helmet to understand the difference

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Mar 18, 21 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim:

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite the improvement over Rudy being the helmet you never wanted to race in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
What do you think of the aerolab sensor?
It must be good since you tested with it, but more the ease of use on the software side?
I already have the Notio and looking at the aerolab to see which is easier in use to perform testing.
I’m just not sure on aerolab’s ‘lease’ program ;-)

Thanks,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day rudy was one of those high list price but always on sale 50%+ websites - is that still the case? Hard to pull the trigger at over $400 when the aerohead, p-09 can be found sub-$200
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
What do you think of the aerolab sensor?
It must be good since you tested with it, but more the ease of use on the software side?
I already have the Notio and looking at the aerolab to see which is easier in use to perform testing.
I’m just not sure on aerolab’s ‘lease’ program ;-)

Thanks,

Jeroen

The numbers are good. We've had people test both with the sensor and in the tunnel and the numbers match up pretty well. Outdoor numbers are a few watts higher, of course, because it's real world and most cannot hold the same position outside that they can in the tunnel and other environmental factors come into play.

The app is getting pretty dialed in. Once a test run is complete, it takes a minute or so to download the data from the sensor, which then gets sent to the cloud for processing before returning with the final CdA. The entire process is quick and you'll have the number long before you're ready to conduct your next test. App is ios only. You can even email the results from each test to your client as the results come in if you'd like. We don't do that as we prefer to provide the entire report all at once.

An above average athlete is good for about 2 hours of testing at race pace before fatigue sets in.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: Jim@EROsports: Mar 18, 21 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is excellent content, thanks for sharing and writing it up. I did some quick searching but couldn't find much on the aero sensor you're using - is it a realistic option for consumers? For the individual consumer, do you have any thoughts on the best way to field test CdA at the moment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Jim! With your expertise how does this fair with the Oakley ARO7?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fascinating data, thanks for sharing.

To your point at the end of the video on fit and usability, it doesn't matter how aero the helmet is if it doesn't fit. For me, that almost certainly rules out this one. As someone with a 63cm head circumference, I couldn't get the last Rudy Project helmet (size L) I tried on my head due to interference with the foam, not even getting to the point where the dial adjustment mattered. It doesn't seem that they've changed their size chart since then, either. Now, they're certainly not the only manufacturer I have trouble with, but it sure seems like my most likely next helmet is still the Aerohead, at least once I start to worry about wear or UV degradation on my old Advantage2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about this helmet just because it looks cool.

Your test results caused me to pull the trigger today! I trust your testing and it's informed my last 3 aero helmet purchases.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [DylanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DylanD wrote:
Thanks for the info Jim! With your expertise how does this fair with the Oakley ARO7?

The Oakley is a good helmet, but I'm not sure I'd put it at the top tier of helmets these days. I had one athlete who was testing well in it over others but the RP recently ended that run. Don't get me wrong, it's good, I'm just not sure it's one of the top 3-5 helmets. Of course, as always it's very personal for each athlete.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim, this was very helpful. Do you also have results, or comparison data, for the Task Bambino Pro? I am looking for a new aero helmet and while the Rudy Wing Aero, as your work highlights, gets very good results, the look, particularly the tail doesn't appeal to me. The tail kinda looks like...well...I think we know what it looks like.
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:
This is excellent content, thanks for sharing and writing it up. I did some quick searching but couldn't find much on the aero sensor you're using - is it a realistic option for consumers? For the individual consumer, do you have any thoughts on the best way to field test CdA at the moment?

The AeroPro sensor is not available to the public. It is being offered to select fitters and coaches so could be an option if someone near you is offering testing services. If you give me your location I can find out for you.

Otherwise, I'd look up the Platypus thread on this forum for virtual elevation testing. In the end, we're just an easier way to use that method. "Chung on a stick" as we called it many years ago! A trip down memory lane for RChung.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Project Wing Aero Test Results [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
Thanks Jim, this was very helpful. Do you also have results, or comparison data, for the Task Bambino Pro? I am looking for a new aero helmet and while the Rudy Wing Aero, as your work highlights, gets very good results, the look, particularly the tail doesn't appeal to me. The tail kinda looks like...well...I think we know what it looks like.

I don't, though I considered using it or the Mistral as a fourth helmet in the test.

I should note that three of the athletes: David, Melissa, and Tony, tested their personal aero helmets during the testing. David and Melissa had the P09 and Tony had the SWorks TT helmet. None of these helmets beat any of the three main helmets, though that pesky P09 was pretty close to the Aerohead for David and both the Aerohead and Cerebel for Melissa. These numbers were not included because not all athletes tested them.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great informative thread, thank you! I would love to try the wing but am loathe to spend the £350 for it in the UK as my first TT helmet without being able to go and find out if it will be quickest for me by a reasonable amount. With that in mind, I'm looking at the met codatronca, kask bambino or poc cerebral currently, thinking that these will work reasonably with my position. Are any of these regarded as 'fast' helmets in that they usually test well, or is there one that you would say is either a stand out in a good or bad way? I've attached my position for reference if that helps.
thanks again for a great thread and apologies for the slightly tenuously linked Q!

Last edited by: TommyBTri: Mar 19, 21 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting results but as you mentioned in the video, all of the fits were similar. A point of interest is that all the testers had the heads up high which is a CdA killer. For those TTer's who have refined their positions where the head is lower or equal to the back heights, would this helmet see similar results? My guess would be a helmet that fits the body couture better would have better results.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Last edited by: rockdude: Mar 19, 21 8:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next