Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t done Sine (and wouldn’t be able to talk about it if I had) but I have done other Endurance Society events. I ran the Infinitus 88k last year and have had many friends participate in ES events. Andy, the RD, is a great guy. He was the cofounder of the original Death Race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclocross! Crazy hard if you race it instead of cruise, will challenge you in terms of technical ability. And fun. Lots of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 508: insane 48 hours! Like a mini RAAM...

https://www.the508.net/

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed the edit on no long rides. Through hike the AT portion in Shenandoah National Park. 107 miles. 5-7 days. Camp in shelters, at campgrounds, in the woods. Probably can do for $200 if you have equipment already and not counting getting there and back....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to say Everesting on a bike is a good challenge / bucket list item, but you have since updated your post that you want to avoid long-distance cycling.

My 2019 challenge is to go back to the mountain I everested on the bike and do it partially on foot. Ultra-marathon, 16 mountain repeats. $0 entry fee.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barkley Marathons have a pretty low entry fee. There’s an epic challenge for ya!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Oct 24, 18 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See how fast you can thru-hike the John Muir Trail.

I think the current fastest known unassisted time is something like 3 days 22 hrs or thereabouts for 220 miles.

While it's highly unlikely you'll get the FKT, it's certainly an epic challenge through some epic scenery, and not terribly expensive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably can't take 3-5 months off of life, but hike the Appalachian Trail? Hike the Adirondack 46 high peaks?

Its a triathlon (sort of), but the SOS Triathlon in New Paltz is epic.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That also sounds more like a financial than a physical challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Coast to Coast challenge in new Zealand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both very reasonably priced and pretty tough-American Zofingen Duathlon in May and the Escarpment trail run in July. Both in NY.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Regarding climbing in the Himalaya :

if you go for top of Everest, yes very very expensive.
But a trekking in Khumbu valley, Everest base camp, or elsewhere around (Annapurna, Daulaghiri, ...) you can do that for reasonably cheap by yourself, or a bit more expensive with some organization help.

Spend 2 or 3 weeks above 3000m, one week above 5000m is a great experience.

I did this last year and spent 3 weeks total in Nepal. Was less than 2K but we did it on the cheap. I am already planning my next trip there. The Khumbu was very crowded so if people aren't your thing check out any of the other valleys in that area. Can't recommend this enough to everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not super expensive, so climbing in the Himalayas is probably out.

If you're just hiking in the Himalayas, it's far cheaper than triathlons. I did the Everest Base Camp and a side trek on my own and it was very cheap.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 24, 18 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [David73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Damn!!! Now that is a stunning looking race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure i saw it mentioned.. Dirty Dozen in Pittsburgh.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [ltc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ltc wrote:
My brother and I are also planning on doing rim to rim to rim. I came recommend that.
This sounds fun and tough. What are the logistics (run long :)? Advice? Should I start a new thread? Should I have a bail out option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arrowhead Ultra. 135 miles on foot, bike or ski in winter.

http://www.arrowheadultra.com/

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brothers, some friends and I did the Presidential Traverse in New Hampshire in one day. Depending on exactly which route you take it's like 20-22 miles and super-technical most of the way. It's a do-able but challenging one day hike with some of the best views on the east coast.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Barkley Marathons have a pretty low entry fee. There’s an epic challenge for ya!

That's a page that certainly deserves being ripped from the book of epic challenges and stuffed in a plastic bag, but from what I've read it appears to be hard to get an invite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STJ_2028 wrote:
What kinds of (non-triathlon) challenges have you guys taken on that you're most proud of? I'm looking for a change of pace for next year. Something that's a real test of mettle/grit. Not super expensive, so climbing in the Himalayas is probably out. Badwater intrigues me. So does Sealfit Kokoro, but I'm positive I'd mess up my back training for that.

Whattaya got?

Edit: prefer to avoid cycling for long distances.
Red Hook Crit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhf79SJyqGM
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
STJ_2028 wrote:
What kinds of (non-triathlon) challenges have you guys taken on that you're most proud of? I'm looking for a change of pace for next year. Something that's a real test of mettle/grit. Not super expensive, so climbing in the Himalayas is probably out. Badwater intrigues me. So does Sealfit Kokoro, but I'm positive I'd mess up my back training for that.

Whattaya got?

Edit: prefer to avoid cycling for long distances.
Red Hook Crit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhf79SJyqGM

This is something I'd love to spectate - props to those who race this thing!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me an epic event/challenge in 2019 [ret123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about what sort of training plans there are for something like this. We are signed up for a marathon about a month before, so I am hoping that translates over. I plan on mixing some trail running in for marathon prep. We aren't trying to run the whole grand canyon, but want to keep a relatively quick pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Rut 50k do the 1k vertical on Fri, 28k on Sat, 50k on sunday …….then loop Montana before or after and see Yellowstone and glacier

http://runtherut.com/course/

Ouray 100 (but have to have a qualifier

http://www.ouray100.com/
Last edited by: Kenney: Oct 25, 18 14:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try some trail races, half, full marathon or ultra. Try something like a double or quad Dipsea.
Quote Reply

Prev Next