Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know why he rides a road bike with Clip ons outside vs taking out his TT bike when he has both at his disposal. Wouldn't it make more sense to use each for it's intended purpose?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on that. Definitely interested in what influenced his decision to go vegan, some of his favorite recipes, whether he feels it’s impacted his recovery, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Earlier this year he was beat by Jan and said it was a great thing because it helped him realized how much needed to change on his bike from an aero perspective.

What changes have been made, if any at all?
Where did he find his biggest deficit in aero?

Is he going to be running with his own fuel belt at Kona or relying on the course as he has been working so much gatorade to get his race nutrition dialed in? weight savings=more speed/comfort? (Yes, I know this sounds stupid, but man I can run with one of those things around my waist. I have tried and tried)
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome Scott! Many congrats on your daughter, superb time!

Really cool to hear how approachable and down to earth Lionel was when you met him.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
triordie1994 wrote:
Can you ask Lionel if he will shut it down if he gets an adequate lead to save himself for Kona? Pretty, pretty please.

He races too hard when he doesn't need to.

x2 on that!

X3 on this!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Hello Slowtwitchers,

I just made it to Mont Tremblant for the Ironman. I will be shooting Lionel in his final race before the 2018 Ironman World Championships. I plan on doing a pre race day video. Which he has a tee time at noon. Yes we are going to play golf on Saturday. Also a race day video.

What are some things you guys would like to see?
What are some questions you have for Lionel?

Video release dates
8-17: Ironman MT Training Block Part 3
8-18: Ironman MT Pre-Race
8-21: Ironman MT Race Recap

When does the MT Training Block Part 3 video go up, can't find it?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vegan????
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

Yep. That's what he said. For the last 12 weeks if I'm remembering right. He said that he feels amazing on it. He looks incredibly fit. We'll see how things go this weekend and into Kona. Looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

Yep. That's what he said. For the last 12 weeks if I'm remembering right. He said that he feels amazing on it. He looks incredibly fit. We'll see how things go this weekend and into Kona. Looking forward to seeing how that goes.

I hope his blood numbers stay on track with this diet switch and he stays up on Iron, HCT etc. To me if feels like messing around with something that may not need to be changed, but thats from 180K away from Tremblant from the peanut gallery (I really should go over to watch/cheer on Sunday).
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

This will shake a lot of people up. Performance enhancer. Eat like a Kenyan run like a Kenyan.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

This will shake a lot of people up. Performance enhancer. Eat like a Kenyan run like a Kenyan.

You can totally rock it on a vegan diet. People who think otherwise are just straight up not looking at the data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did do something similar, though, and raced some of those ITU guys at the original island house. LS was very competitive in the open 5k with one of the fastest runs, smashed them all on the bike tt, but was significantly outclassed on the swim. He made the cut but his poor swimming hurt him on the super sprint and enduro days and he finished well behind Murray overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But is broccoli a carb?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

Isn’t Jan Frodeno vegan too?

Switched last year and spoke about improved recovery when at Oceanside’s Canyon event in April.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

Isn’t Jan Frodeno vegan too?

Switched last year and spoke about improved recovery when at Oceanside’s Canyon event in April.

In his book he writes that he eats fish and eggs (and sometimes cheese) but no meat St the moment.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

Why not? There are athletes out there doing very good on it.

The problem is that now when he skrews Kona (or any other race in the future) people will say it's because of his diet.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

Why not? There are athletes out there doing very good on it.

The problem is that now when he skrews Kona (or any other race in the future) people will say it's because of his diet.

When really what they will mean is that he is too lean because of his diet. He looks damn strong to me. I hope he does well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The racing flat he put on is currently for Skechers athletes only. No word on if and when it hits production. It has a highly resilient midsole and a carbon plate. All this comes from the fine folks on The Running Shoe Geeks facebook page.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3rd fastest Kona after Crowie and Lange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
rsmoylan wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

I hope his blood numbers stay on track with this diet switch and he stays up on Iron, HCT etc. To me if feels like messing around with something that may not need to be changed, but thats from 180K away from Tremblant from the peanut gallery (I really should go over to watch/cheer on Sunday).

This, I hope he’s checking his numbers.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [Jason AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason AZ wrote:
Does he have a coach for golf, advisor, or does it go it alone?

According the Triathlon Taron Ben Hoffman podcast, Ben played golf in high school and can shoot in the 80s. Should Ben and Lionel have a showdown?

There is a tree between the green and your ball. Do you go around or gamble and try to make it through? Trees are like 80% air right?
See, I like these questions. You KNOW all he ever hears is “triathalon this? Triathlon that?”...and he seems to have a sense of humor, so I think he’d appreciate some levity.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
rsmoylan wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Vegan????

This, I hope he’s checking his numbers.

Maurice

The problem is that you can feel really good on this type of diet for a while losing weight and getting leaner, but then if the blood numbers go off track its not something that gets fixed in 2 weeks or a month (in general). It can be easy to "feel better, run faster, climb faster" until suddenly you're lean and weak because blood chemistry went the wrong way. I hope he stays on track with this.

As for tomorrow, good luck to Lionel!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you have some background /experience with this... How often would you suggest vegan athletes get blood work done? (not being a smart ass, genuinely curious).
Last edited by: JBell: Aug 18, 18 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
I'm assuming you have some background /experience with this... How often would you suggest vegan athletes get blood work done? (not being a smart ass, genuinely curious).

A few things influence this: diet, compression hemolysis (not necessarily compaction) sweat rates, male vs female, age...also I believe Desert Dude mentioned in a previous thread that intestinal bleeding is more common in endurance athletes.

In Canada you won’t be anemic until 16 SF, but AIS, cross country ski Canada and a bunch of other orgs they recommend 40.

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next