Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitchers,

I just made it to Mont Tremblant for the Ironman. I will be shooting Lionel in his final race before the 2018 Ironman World Championships. I plan on doing a pre race day video. Which he has a tee time at noon. Yes we are going to play golf on Saturday. Also a race day video.

What are some things you guys would like to see?
What are some questions you have for Lionel?

Video release dates
8-17: Ironman MT Training Block Part 3
8-18: Ironman MT Pre-Race
8-21: Ironman MT Race Recap
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question: 230yds out, does he lay up or go for it?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What piece of media (book, film, article) has had the largest impact on Lionel's life?

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 1. How fast has he gotten his 200 SCY free to?
2. Is he taking salt pills(or similar)to get ready for Kona?
3. What does his taper look like the 3 weeks before Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Jan running 2:39 in Frankfurt, how much of a lead is needed at Kona T2. Or does he feel he is ready to come out of T2 with Jan dead even like Mark and Dave 29 years ago and just run shoulder to shoulder and put down the hammer at mile 23? Or is he ready to do a Macca and turn on the road runner turnover on the Palani downhill and get away?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
1. How fast has he gotten his 200 SCY free to?
2. Is he taking salt pills(or similar)to get ready for Kona?
3. What does his taper look like the 3 weeks before Kona?

I dare say he wouldn't be swimming in a 25y pool in canada :P

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you hate the drafting situation but why not 70.3 worlds? I mean why are you racing an unnecessary full IM 2ish months out of Kona when you could go to S.A. and mix it up with the big dogs. Maybe gage their fitness a bit and race with no expectation.......just let it rip and see what happens!

Also I'm still waiting on some team Sanders tees to come out from garneau......need a shirt for my annual 5 hour trainer ride while watching Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
I know you hate the drafting situation but why not 70.3 worlds? I mean why are you racing an unnecessary full IM 2ish months out of Kona when you could go to S.A. and mix it up with the big dogs. Maybe gage their fitness a bit and race with no expectation.......just let it rip and see what happens!

Also I'm still waiting on some team Sanders tees to come out from garneau......need a shirt for my annual 5 hour trainer ride while watching Kona!

Mine is a simpler version of this ignoring the 70.3 worlds part. It would be cool to further stack the field but...I’ll survive.

What is the motivation behind doing a completely unnecessary Ironman 2 months from Kona?

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...do you like training outdoors now?

How do you measure distance swam in the never ending pool? (Serious question as I may build one)

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Question: 230yds out, does he lay up or go for it?

This made me laugh. Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask him what he thinks about Ashley Horner and her 50/50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another one interested in his choice to do a full 140.6 this late in the season; will he race it all-out or hold back on the throttle.

I guess his competition may dictate the second part.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does he schedule a massage or do a significant amount of stretching after a pre race day round? I usually try to play at least once when I travel somewhere to race, but it definitely isn't good for my back/hips on race day - I do it anyway though so I've got a built in excuse if things go poorly during the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will he be playing golf at MTB before and or after the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does he think he'd do against some of the itu guys in an event like super league?
I am also interested in how much he tapered for MTB and also Samorin, as neither were his main goal of the season..?
Also this is not a question for Lionel but for you, I think it would be really cool if you did a video with the JFT Crew (Mario Mola, Jacob Birtwhistle, Vincent Luis)... or do you not do short course athletes?
Last edited by: looberforce: Aug 17, 18 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2016 me wants you to ask him approximately how many Tim Hortons are in Canada.

(Internet says roughly 3,700-3,800)

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [looberforce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looberforce wrote:
How does he think he'd do against some of the itu guys in an event like super league?
I am also interested in how much he tapered for MTB and also Samorin, as neither were his main goal of the season..?
Also this is not a question for Lionel but for you, I think it would be really cool if you did a video with the JFT Crew (Mario Mola, Jacob Birtwhistle, Vincent Luis)... or do you now do short course athletes?

Sorry, I realize it is up to Lionel to answer, but this is like asking a marathoner how he would do against the milers. You're basically asking the guy how he would do in another sport. If you want to see how he would do in Superleague, you pretty well have a decent answer with how some of the Ironman guys fare at Island House, but the right comparison is asking Lionel how he would do against these guys at Kona. It seems the answer to this is that he has the second fastest time EVER at Kona so the ball is in their court them to come to Kona and beat him.

I'm saying this because he has said in the past that he enjoys taking on all the hype of the ITU guys at long distance. He does not have the national federation pedigree and self groomed out of the age grouper ranks, not the elite sport funnel. So if you are wondering why he has so many fans on here, its because Lionel came through the exact same development system as "US"....he's just waaaay better. So it's awesome to see him constantly smacking ITU guys at the full Ironman.

...and just to be clear, he's the ultimate instance of all of us having FOP swimmer envy and making it happen on the bike-run. Most of us don't bother with Olympic distance because our swim deficicit is too big. So Lionel and Sebi and now Cam get held up as poster boys around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does he have a coach for golf, advisor, or does it go it alone?

According the Triathlon Taron Ben Hoffman podcast, Ben played golf in high school and can shoot in the 80s. Should Ben and Lionel have a showdown?

There is a tree between the green and your ball. Do you go around or gamble and try to make it through? Trees are like 80% air right?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [Jason AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason AZ wrote:
Does he have a coach for golf, advisor, or does it go it alone?

According the Triathlon Taron Ben Hoffman podcast, Ben played golf in high school and can shoot in the 80s. Should Ben and Lionel have a showdown?

There is a tree between the green and your ball. Do you go around or gamble and try to make it through? Trees are like 80% air right?

Ben was a 1.7 index. Looking at Lionel's swing it wouldn't be close.

My question for Lionel mirrors others: why the heck is he doing an IM in late August? Hopefully the appearance fee/bonus schedule is quite large.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you ask Lionel if he will shut it down if he gets an adequate lead to save himself for Kona? Pretty, pretty please.

He races too hard when he doesn't need to.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:
Can you ask Lionel if he will shut it down if he gets an adequate lead to save himself for Kona? Pretty, pretty please.

He races too hard when he doesn't need to.

x2 on that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is looking lean? ON purpose? More training? His thoughts on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does he do a lot of Rich Roll recipes?

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I met him today and talked to him about this thread specifically. We talked about the main question of why so close to Kona. He said that he would be having a big training weekend anyway, and he felt that he might as well train on a course with support. It makes sense and is alignment with how I feel I'm coached by desert dude. You can race and still get great training benefit from it. He was also impressed with my daughter's 1:10 100y back that I bragged about. She's 11. So yeah, overall it was great to meet him and he's just as accommodating and nice as he is in his videos.

We also spoke about his diet and if I remember correctly he has been eating vegan for the last 12 weeks and attributes a lot of how great he is feeling to this change.

Scott

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Last edited by: rsmoylan: Aug 17, 18 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionel Sanders - Ironman Mont Tremblant [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
So I met him today and talked to him about this thread specifically. We talked about the main question of why so close to Kona. He said that he would be having a big training weekend anyway, and he felt that he might as well train on a course with support. It makes sense and is alignment with how I feel I'm coached by desert dude. You can race and still get great training benefit from it. He was also impressed with my daughter's 1:10 100y back that I bragged about. She's 11. So yeah, overall it was great to meet him and he's just as accommodating and nice as he is in his videos.

We also spoke about his diet and if I remember correctly he has been eating vegan for the last 12 weeks and attributes a lot of how great he is feeling to this change.

Scott

I want to know more about his diet. I have gone vegetarian and feel SOOOO MUCH better. I know he is sponsored by freshie...what are his go to meals...etc.

Also, what Skechers model is he running in?
Quote Reply

Prev Next