Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL - sounded familiar to me too...I love JackMotts comment - as usual, I could not agree with him more.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, you mean to tell me that if I put blinder glasses on Stevie Wonder he is going to have more issues walking into things than if he does not wear them?

In the first place, if we put blinder glasses on both YOU and Stevie Wonder, then you would be the one walking (or running) into things, and Stevie wouldn't. So Stevie would have an enormous advantage. The same would be true, to at least some degree, if we put blinder glasses on both this guy and on Stevie Wonder.

In the second place, it appears from the article that it isn't just a question of what constitutes an even playing field, but even whether this guy can participate safely in the sport at all. I don't know whether there is really any truly satisfactory solution to the problem posed here or any solution that would true level the playing field. Perhaps the best would be to allow him to participate without the glasses, either in a special "partial vision" category or without being allowed to compete for awards.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
Quote:
I again ask, what is he trying to achieve? I thought our sport was each person against the elements, not to focus ones ego on beating others? Is it 10%, 20%, 30% blindness?

It isn't like there has always been a rule requiring him to wear glasses and now he is asking for it to be changed (which is what I think maybe some if you may be thinking). In fact, it is the exact opposite.

When do you stop what? What special consigments do you think he is asking for? He simply wants nobody to wear the glasses because they are dangerous.

I'm not even sure I understand where some of your complaints are coming from.

He can race without the glasses. He just then cannot get an award. So you to say he is not doing this for an award is just totally wrong. No one will stop him from racing w/o glasses.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the sport at all? No, no damn way. Maybe he can sue Nascar next for not finding a way for him to race - despite his disabilities.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
So, you mean to tell me that if I put blinder glasses on Stevie Wonder he is going to have more issues walking into things than if he does not wear them?

In the first place, if we put blinder glasses on both YOU and Stevie Wonder, then you would be the one walking (or running) into things, and Stevie wouldn't. So Stevie would have an enormous advantage. The same would be true, to at least some degree, if we put blinder glasses on both this guy and on Stevie Wonder.

In the second place, it appears from the article that it isn't just a question of what constitutes an even playing field, but even whether this guy can participate safely in the sport at all. I don't know whether there is really any truly satisfactory solution to the problem posed here or any solution that would true level the playing field. Perhaps the best would be to allow him to participate without the glasses, either in a special "partial vision" category or without being allowed to compete for awards.

From what I have read in the past from folks, which may be him, complaining, is NO one is stopping him from racing. But, if you do not follow the rules, like any of us, you just cannot get an award. So I continue to ask, why is he really suing for? No one will stop him from racing. So the only thing left is the award so he can stroke his ego I guess.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn you, you and all that common sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
Damn you, you and all that common sense.

Nah, but this type of crap is seems to get to me. So many in life now are me, me, me. Look at me, me , me. Life is not being fair to me, me, me. Just gets old after a while.
And for folks to hide what their real motives are. Show me one race he was physically stopped from racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article said that athletes not using the glasses have been "disqualified." I took that as meaning that they weren't even considered official finishers.

As an analogy, are people who wear a wetsuit at 80 degrees considered official finishers, even though they can't get an award? I don't know the answer; I'm just asking. I know some races actually have "wetsuit divisions" for such people.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
The article said that athletes not using the glasses have been "disqualified." I took that as meaning that they weren't even considered official finishers.

As an analogy, are people who wear a wetsuit at 80 degrees considered official finishers, even though they can't get an award? I don't know the answer; I'm just asking. I know some races actually have "wetsuit divisions" for such people.

Depends on what the RD wants to do. Again, what is he really worried about. If he got to the do the race, and if he is not worried about awards and his ego, why would he care about being "disqualified" or not in the
official finishers list? Cannot have it both ways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sympathetic with your question about whether this is about awards, etc.

However, there may be a different issue that we're not looking at. Is it possible these glasses are required for him to receive the accommodation of a guide during the run?

I have no knowledge of the specifics, but I wonder if that is a possibility. Maybe he needs a guide for the run, but does not want to have to give up all his sight to get one? I can totally get behind that one, if that is the situation.

Honestly, he seemed pretty reasonable in the article. It certainly incited lots 'o passion! We may all need some slow, deep breaths...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said anything about the awards - that was H2O. All I know is that when an RD posts rules, if you do not like a rule, do not enter the event. Pretty simple. The litmus test for this particular guy complaining (in this case) about Triathlon while some do (myself included) empathize with the guy. I think he is a real inspiration for racing to begin with. I want him to participate and do the best he can do....but rather than just enjoy himself, he filed suit - seemingly to suit him and his goals. He already seems to win his division by a large margin, he was not going to be prevented from participating. To mirror other comments, what are his goals with the suit?

And, when is he going to sue Nascar on the same grounds?

I wonder if we could get a comment from Virginia at CAF about what they think about the situation at hand. I have to imagine "mum" would be the word from there (no, not to infer that the person in question is supported or in any way related to CAF and their functions and activities).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
I never said anything about the awards - that was H2O. All I know is that when an RD posts rules, if you do not like a rule, do not enter the event. Pretty simple. The litmus test for this particular guy complaining (in this case) about Triathlon while some do (myself included) empathize with the guy. I think he is a real inspiration for racing to begin with. I want him to participate and do the best he can do....but rather than just enjoy himself, he filed suit - seemingly to suit him and his goals. He already seems to win his division by a large margin, he was not going to be prevented from participating. To mirror other comments, what are his goals with the suit?

And, when is he going to sue Nascar on the same grounds?

I wonder if we could get a comment from Virginia at CAF about what they think about the situation at hand. I have to imagine "mum" would be the word from there (no, not to infer that the person in question is supported or in any way related to CAF and their functions and activities).

I just see no real reason to file this suit other than awards and ego since I have not seem him be physically stopped from doing a race.

And I totally agree, the RD has the right, IMO, to put on a race they way they want. If you do not like the terms, start your own business rather than destroy someone else's.

This is no different than a guy in Calif who goes around to places in his wheel chair, and then sues them for not meeting the standards. He never intended to go in, just found a way to get him lots of money so he does not have to work. He sure has put a lot of businesses out of business.

Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has to have a guide no matter what. Also for everyone, he isn't sueing to change existing rules. He has competed for years under the rules, but then the rules were changed and now require blackout glasses.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
He has to have a guide no matter what. Also for everyone, he isn't sueing to change existing rules. He has competed for years under the rules, but then the rules were changed and now require blackout glasses.

I think I need to sue WTC and next year USAT because they changed the wetsuit rules and being skinny, it makes it unsafe for me. And yes, I want an award and my name in the finishing list, etc. What's the difference?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At worlds he wouldn't be allowed to compete without the glasses, and thats besides the point. He wishes to compete against other athletes. He just wants fair rules and he sees this as unfair. You know like you not being able to use a WR wetsuit. ;-)

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
At worlds he wouldn't be allowed to compete without the glasses, and thats besides the point. He wishes to compete against other athletes. He just wants fair rules and he sees this as unfair. You know like you not being able to use a WR wetsuit. ;-)

I believe the change to 76 degrees by WTC is unsafe for me, and others, and I see this as unfair.

Yep, I believe the 5mm limit for wetsuits is unsafe and unfair for everyone. :o)

He wishes to compete against others and wants an unfair advantage. Blind is totally different that 80% blind.

So, if I am a 85% blind person, it is unfair to have to compete against a 80% only blind person.

Now wait, we have a model that can be used, and thats the HITS model. 1 year age awards.

Again, I do not see he wants to compete. I see him wanting to force his values, issues onto everyone else and "compete" with his "advantages.

Oh well, this is one of those topics everyone will have their opinions since this is not a fact based issue, just emotional.

So, why did he sue an RD that he has not raced with?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the change to 76 degrees by WTC is unsafe for me, and others, and I see this as unfair.

I'm fine with it and don't think people who can't stand a bit of cold need floats. I've also never known a fast swimmer who thinks thats a "unsafe" temp.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aaron isn't the only blind athlete that doesn't like this rule. It's first year enforced at nationals, there were 30 blind athletes there to boycott the ruling. Many were/are totally blind and are against the rule...it isn't just Aaron. Getting accepted into the Paralympics was great, but it has some negative things too, which need to be worked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:

I'm fine with it and don't think people who can't stand a bit of cold need floats. I've also never known a fast swimmer who thinks thats a "unsafe" temp.

Yep, just different opinions on a different issue.

If USAT changed the rules that everyone had to do the run backwards, I would either stop doing their races, or start training to the new rule.

Next year I am having to buy a new wetsuit and relearn :o) to swim with only 5mm vs the 10mm floats I have now. :o)

When the rules change, I either adjust, or just go somewhere else.

The last thing I would do is sue, but I guess that is just me.

And again, he sued the RD because of what?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, obviously we don't know the whole story, and it is tough for me to decide how I feel. I agree he has an advantage over fully blind athletes without wearing glasses, but I think he would be at a big disadvantage having to wear them. And obviously he can't race in the age group division, and if you're not racing, what are you doing, paying to train? Big conundrum.

Also, maybe he didn't want to sue anybody, but it was the only way to force them to address this issue in a fair manner?

http://train4autism.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [coltank17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coltank17 wrote:
Well, obviously we don't know the whole story, and it is tough for me to decide how I feel. I agree he has an advantage over fully blind athletes without wearing glasses, but I think he would be at a big disadvantage having to wear them. And obviously he can't race in the age group division, and if you're not racing, what are you doing, paying to train? Big conundrum.

Also, maybe he didn't want to sue anybody, but it was the only way to force them to address this issue in a fair manner?

So, what is a fair manner? What does the person who is 85% blind do? or 90 or 95%? The governing bodies did their homework and made a rule. On the surface, it sure seems like the correct rule.
If he wants to compete in the "blind" division, which to me means 100%, then to level the playing field, they are allowing non 100% blind to compete if they wear glasses. What if they just change the rules
and say unless you are 100% blind, there is no worlds division. This would sure solve his issue, right?

Again, life is not fair. But most do the best with that they have and do not bitch about it. Life is not "fair" to me, but I sure do not look for someone else to blame and sue. But, ....

Just like they changed the ITU bike rules and allowing drafting. I wonder why all the ITU folks did not sue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a legal definition for blind, it should be used, no stupid glasses. I teach blind skiing and as part of my training had to put on blackout goggles, couldn't tell, at slow speeds, whether I was going forwards or backwards. Although you do quickly switch to using other senses, you are not used to them. Try running with your eyes closed sometime or swimming with your eyes closed (I wouldn't advise cycling in this fashion though).

My Para gripe is with bike cutoff times for wheelchair athletes, they have to be very highly trained to make the bike cutoff but can post great times in the "run" in their racing chairs. In fact, excluding para Olympians, hand bikes will be 30% to 40% slower and racing chairs 30% to 40% faster. Doing a Sprint or Oly has then BOP at T2 but passing people continuously from there. Of course this depends upon hills and the course.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Partially blind triathlete sues [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
There is a legal definition for blind, it should be used, no stupid glasses. I teach blind skiing and as part of my training had to put on blackout goggles, couldn't tell, at slow speeds, whether I was going forwards or backwards. Although you do quickly switch to using other senses, you are not used to them. Try running with your eyes closed sometime or swimming with your eyes closed (I wouldn't advise cycling in this fashion though).

My Para gripe is with bike cutoff times for wheelchair athletes, they have to be very highly trained to make the bike cutoff but can post great times in the "run" in their racing chairs. In fact, excluding para Olympians, hand bikes will be 30% to 40% slower and racing chairs 30% to 40% faster. Doing a Sprint or Oly has then BOP at T2 but passing people continuously from there. Of course this depends upon hills and the course.

So, what is the legal definition that is being used at a race to be in the blind division? 10% blind, 50%? 80%? Both eyes.

Can I enter the blind division if I am teethered on the swim, tandem on the bike, and black out glasses on the run?

Just like when the ITU said drafting is legal since non drafting was impossible to enforce "fairly", maybe I just do not get it, but blind, in terms of competing against others seems very easy, you cannot see which gives you a sighted advantage.

I really am trying to understand what I am missing. But more than than, I have yet to see a better proposed solution that is 100% to all "blind" folks racing equally. I am all eyes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
coltank17 wrote:

So, what is a fair manner? What does the person who is 85% blind do? or 90 or 95%? The governing bodies did their homework and made a rule. On the surface, it sure seems like the correct rule.
If he wants to compete in the "blind" division, which to me means 100%, then to level the playing field, they are allowing non 100% blind to compete if they wear glasses. What if they just change the rules
and say unless you are 100% blind, there is no worlds division. This would sure solve his issue, right?

Again, life is not fair. But most do the best with that they have and do not bitch about it. Life is not "fair" to me, but I sure do not look for someone else to blame and sue. But, ....

Just like they changed the ITU bike rules and allowing drafting. I wonder why all the ITU folks did not sue.

And that is the argument here. He doesn't feel that the ruling is fair, and there doesn't seem to be a fair category to compete in. Rules change all the time, but only when people challenge them. That is what he is doing, challenging the rule. Same thing we do on bike laws, marriage laws, etc.

http://train4autism.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think the issue might not be with awards, but participating (safely) at all.

It may be that, in order to be allowed to use a guide, he has to wear the blackout glasses. Maybe these choices:

1. Wear glasses, use guide

2. No glasses, no guide

and he is asking for this choice:

3. No glasses, use guide

I'm sure there is an official definition of the threshold of impairment for using a guide. I however have no interest in searching for it!

Maybe homie just wants to compete (w/o having to put the blast shield down like Luke in Episode IV....)

I'd guess this isn't about Kenny and the good folks at 3D, but it is about changing a rule.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next