Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
echappist wrote:
For more info, see recall notice from CPSC.

Wonderful. Two bikes to haul to a dealer for inspection...
Two?! Cute. We've a service course in our basement. I need a Shimano rep to come to us.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
How would I know?

Sorry, I wasn’t asking YOU directly, I just replied to the last comment.

How about NOT doing that? Lazy.

The forum doesn’t allow for this option in a straight-forward manner.

A reply is always made to someone and not to readers at large.

I think some has worked out a way, but the most obvious method (as used in this post) is still in effect a reply to someone who has posted.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 21, 23 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
How would I know?

I think some has worked out a way, but the most obvious method (as used in this post) is still in effect a reply to someone who has posted.

And that person gets a notification that someone has replied to them. Annoying AF.

Anyone who's used this forum for any amount of time knows this is horrible UI design and it's been this way forever and the solution is to respond to the OP.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
And that person gets a notification that someone has replied to them. Annoying AF.
Anyone who's used this forum for any amount of time knows this is horrible UI design and it's been this way forever
Switch off your notifications. Sorted.
Or if not to that person, delete their name in the title line of a comment eg [NordicSkier]
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Anyone who's used this forum for any amount of time knows this is horrible UI design and it's been this way forever
Switch off your notifications. Sorted.
Or if not to that person, delete their name in the title line of a comment eg [NordicSkier]

Your second suggestion won’t work for him, as it appears that he’s enabled notification as a default.

He should heed your first suggestion though. The notifications could be toggled to off in the user control panel; took me only about 12 yrs to figure out how, and i used to have to uncheck the box with every single post.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Incidents/Injuries: Shimano US has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
Sold at bicycle stores USA-wide from January 2012 through August 2023 for between $270 and $1,500.

This is the real shocker. I can't believe you can have almost 5000 "reported" failures before you do somethig about it. Even if serious accidents resulted from 0.5% of these failures, the class action lawsuit should be a doozy.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of jokes about Shimano claiming "We've never heard of this before" over the years but I wonder if that was ever a response put in email or other traceable communication.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Even if serious accidents resulted from 0.5% of these failures, the class action lawsuit should be a doozy.

Just pointing out that recall notice says 6 reported injuries out of 4519 reported failures, so that's about 0.13%.

I agree with your point, just doing the math.

And, yes, I take the reported #'s as a grain of salt as probably not all failures or injuries made their way to the CPSC reporting system.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
echappist wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
How would I know?

Anyone who's used this forum for any amount of time knows this is horrible UI design and it's been this way forever and the solution is to respond to the OP.

So if I have these cranks what should I do?not to you, Just replying to 11th last

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
How would I know?

Jesus, who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? That was uncalled for.

What's "Lazy" is the forum software here which, unlike any other forum software I've ever seen, has no functional way to join the discussion other than to reply to an existing post. So unless your previous post is quoted, you should never assume someone who's replied to your post is actually replying to you.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Sep 21, 23 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Jesus, who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? That was uncalled for.

What's "Lazy" is the forum software here which, unlike any other forum software I've ever seen, has no functional way to join the discussion other than to reply to an existing post. So unless your previous post is quoted, you should never assume someone who's replied to your post is actually replying to you.

My general attitude toward many posts on ST has been snark as of late, but perhaps we could help him (and others).

To turn off notification by default, go here and change the relevant settings to "no" (in red boxes in the screenshot).

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was sure - SURE - that this impacted me. My DuraAce race bike, however, is a generation older than the recall. But what about my Ultegra-equipped road/training bike? Also, one generation older than the recall. So, to all of you rich folks on more modern Shimano gear than me - I'll be faster than you b/c I'm training while you are wonking around getting your gear sorted. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

Incidents/Injuries: Shimano US has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
Sold at bicycle stores USA-wide from January 2012 through August 2023 for between $270 and $1,500.

This is the real shocker. I can't believe you can have almost 5000 "reported" failures before you do somethig about it. Even if serious accidents resulted from 0.5% of these failures, the class action lawsuit should be a doozy.

Risk Management - basically a bean counter weighing the cost of "doing the right thing" now, against not doing that, and estimating the cost of future lawsuits.
Major corporations do it all the time - and also hoping no one is paying attention to Hambini !!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Way overdue, particularly for a company like Shimano that's supposed to be the more careful and reliable of the 3 big group makers.

in my opinion, while shimano vs campagnolo shared 60-40 or 70-30 of the road bike market,maybe

now, that shimano is 80-90% of the market.. I could see that their groups are fancier, more expensive, lower quality and have less support for spares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly right. My D/A 9000 failed years ago. Warranty had expired and Shimano did nothing. It's long gone at this point. Grumble.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:
now, that shimano is 80-90% of the market..

Is that true? I thought SRAM has made solid inroads in market share. When I window shop online at new bikes, anecotally about 30% of road (TT/on-road) seem to be SRAM, and for offroad (mountain/gravel), fully half of builds seems to be SRAM. Not saying that means 50% market share, and I'm just talking about high end builds, but I wouldn't guess that Shimano has 80-90% of the high end. Where by high end I mean 105/Rival and Deore/GX and up.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Where by high end I mean 105/Rival and Deore/GX and up.

I've previously thought of you as a source of cycling knowledge. With the statement above, I need to reevaluate ;)
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:

I've previously thought of you as a source of cycling knowledge. With the statement above, I need to reevaluate ;)

Ha, it's funny most of my life I was pure Dura-Ace, even from back in the 90's when I was horrified when my mom made me get 105 for my first "real" road bike. Even most of that time not being all that affluent.

But now that I can afford Red/Dura Ace easily, I care a lot less, though more than half my bikes are Red/DA. My secret favorite bike is an open mold cyclocross bike of unknown origin with 10sp Rival. It given to me by a teammate when I said I wanted to try a CX season. Figured I could trash it like a 45 y.o. trying to bunny hop pro-height barriers and not care at all. But now it's my gravel (and occasional CX) bike, and I just love it. Rival shifts and brakes just great. And, oddly, the bike is lighter than a bunch of top-spec gravel monstrosities on the market now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean. I do think the differences between 105/Rival level, and DA/Red, have gotten more narrow over time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

I'm a little surprised they want to just inspect and wait and see.

https://www.bikeradar.com/...set-recall-analysis/

Shimano says if a crankset passes inspection with no sign of delamination then you can “continue to enjoy your ride”.
However, it cautions that, even if a crank passes initial inspection, riders should “pay attention to changes in the sound and feel of how your bike is riding”, warning that “changes could indicate wear out, breakage, or need for adjustment to some part of your bike”.

So, we'll replace it if it's already broken, but otherwise, just keep riding until it breaks and then check back with us?

Obviously they want to avoid the cost of replacing a few million cranksets, but for a safety recall the response seems poor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:

After seeing all the outrage roll through, I was made aware of these numbers.

LOL really? That’s what the fuss is about?

4500 cranksets failed out of 2.8 million over the years, that’s 0.16%. Six people got hurt. Let’s say the numbers would’ve been doubled over the remaining life of the equipment. That means you have a 1/300 chance of seeing the crankset separate and 4 in a million of getting a laceration or worse.

(Double those numbers again if you think they’re vastly underreported or something).

On average. Having experienced a catastrophic crankset failure when TTing at 25 mph, which resulted in nothing other than my left leg spinning in the air and me getting immeasurably pissed off, I think it’s even less likely for a solo triathlete (who will be riding on their own and putting out steady power) to lose their balance and have an accident.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Sep 22, 23 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:

Whatever fuss there is, it's not as much fuss as your fuss over the fuss. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 back in the 90's when I was horrified when my mom made me get 105 for my first "real" road bike.

Lucky you. Mom only allowed me to get RX-100 STI until I got "better" (became juniors pack fodder from getting dropped all the time) then I was allowed to upgrade to a Bianchi with Campy Mirage 8 speed. I ended up racing with a team that had some bikes with dura ace and thought it shifted like heaven.

But same as you, now that I can afford whatever I want, I have yet to get a bike with dura ace, red or super record. Ultegra, 105, Athena and whatever the fat bike has, it's good enough for me.

Thankfully, all my cranks are 105 instead of ultegra as they have shorter crank arms so no recalls for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got this in my email

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

After seeing all the outrage roll through, I was made aware of these numbers.

4500 cranksets failed out of 2.8 million over the years, that’s 0.16%. Six people got hurt. Let’s say the numbers would’ve been doubled over the remaining life of the equipment. That means you have a 1/300 chance of seeing the crankset separate and 4 in a million of getting a laceration or worse.

(Double those numbers again if you think they’re vastly underreported or something).

On average. Having experienced a catastrophic crankset failure when TTing at 25 mph, which resulted in nothing other than my left leg spinning in the air and me getting immeasurably pissed off, I think it’s even less likely for a solo triathlete (who will be riding on their own and putting out steady power) to lose their balance and have an accident.

A solo rider whose crank fails at constant 25 mph probably represents a "better-case scenario". Relatively limited in both damage to any person involved and the overall number of people involved. Though it probably still hurts more than failure at 18 mph.

What could be worse is a group ride/ race going at 30 mph plus. Potentially half a dozen or more riders involved, and with greater damage potential as well. Shimano is probably more concerned about the latter.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 22, 23 15:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next