Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series)
Quote | Reply
For more info, see recall notice from CPSC.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Wonderful. Two bikes to haul to a dealer for inspection...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way overdue, particularly for a company like Shimano that's supposed to be the more careful and reliable of the 3 big group makers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we're supposed to immediately stop using the affected cranks. Is anyone going to keep on riding until the shops get up to speed on the official inspection process? Asking for a friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the bonding separation or delamination occurring? On the spindle? What is actually failing?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This instagram account has quite a few different examples
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Way overdue, particularly for a company like Shimano that's supposed to be the more careful and reliable of the 3 big group makers.

It's a horrible look in view of previous straight-up denials.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

i agree it's way overdue. too many instances of this over the years. but i wonder why you think shimano has a better reputation at this than SRAM. in the past i've found SRAM to handle recalls very responsibly. and look, i'm not a SRAM fanboy. well, check that. i guess i am. but i'm also a shimano fanboy. i think i'm clearheaded about the areas where SRAM *enjoys* shortcomings. but according to my observation SRAM is historically more likely to be responsible about a hazardous product than any major component company.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
but i wonder why you think shimano has a better reputation at this than SRAM.

I don't know, just general popular perception, maybe unjustified by reality. I *am* a SRAM fanboi, and I intended it as a subtle dig. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Wow - not before time. Like this has been going on for literally years!

I think I have 9 - not a typo - 9 affected cranksets between me and my wife with TT, Tri, road and cross bikes. My latest is a 9200 crankset so my only bike not affected - everything else is affected.

Damned if they do - damned if they don't! What a cluster.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

So basically Hambini was 100% right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uK7FSZ6OFM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:
but i wonder why you think shimano has a better reputation at this than SRAM.

I don't know, just general popular perception, maybe unjustified by reality. I *am* a SRAM fanboi, and I intended it as a subtle dig. :)

i don't know why there's a perception of this. if you're right and SRAM is considered the less-responsible actor, i just don't know why that would be. i remember the hydraulic brake recall from several years ago - where the brakes didn't work in freezing temps, and that was unearthed during cyclocross season. SRAM was really good with communication and hard work at restoring people's product. if anything, i find certain component companies historically prone to not believing their product would ever fail and treating warranty and recall accordingly. i don't find that true of SRAM.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
echappist wrote:

Wow - not before time. Like this has been going on for literally years!

I think I have 9 - not a typo - 9 affected cranksets between me and my wife with TT, Tri, road and cross bikes. My latest is a 9200 crankset so my only bike not affected - everything else is affected.

Damned if they do - damned if they don't! What a cluster.

Assuming that the issue is truly resolved with 9200 series.

Given that Shimano states that cranks made in 2020 and after are deemed safe yet wasn’t able to find a cause by late 2021, i’m not inclined to take Shimano’s words at face value…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what happened with the manufacturing process after July 2019 that those units are not affected?

Seems like there was an understanding/acknowledgement by Shimano 4 years ago that there problem and that was the reason for the change.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano Recalls Cranksets for Bicycles Due to Crash Hazard​https://www.cpsc.gov/...-Due-to-Crash-Hazard
produced before July 2019 for a possible bonding separation issue.
Affects Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series, and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series: applicable model numbers are ULTEGRA FC-6800, FC-R8000, DURA-ACE FC-9000, FC-R9100 and FC-R9100-P.
Europe: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/info...owtech-road-cranksets-inspection-program.html
Should have stuck with square taper.
Hambini:

USA text: Consumers (f***ing "consumers"! - call them cyclists perlease) should immediately stop using the cranksets manufactured before July 1, 2019, and contact an authorized Shimano dealer to schedule a free crankset inspection. Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.
Incidents/Injuries: Shimano US has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
Sold at bicycle stores USA-wide from January 2012 through August 2023 for between $270 and $1,500.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Sep 21, 23 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the Shimano website and they say you can do a 'self-inspection' on your cranks:

https://bike.shimano.com/...t-recall-notice.html
"As a consumer what do I need to do?
First validate if your crankset is part of the recall. Second, if it is part of the recall, you can view a self-inspection video on YouTube here or we ask you to take it to your local retailer to get inspected. Retailers can be found at our Dealer Locator and the retailers who have opted into this inspection process will be flagged on our dealer locator as an inspection location."

Self-inspection video:

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
echappist wrote:

So basically Hambini was 100% right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uK7FSZ6OFM

I'm not going to watch that video, but I don't think it takes "Hambini" to identify that Shimano had an issue. We've known this for the better part of a decade.

Unless he identified the problem before it became commonly known, in which case, kudos.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
echappist wrote:

a broken clock is right twice a day

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a half dozen of these cranksets over the years. Never an issue.

I have two bikes that are indoor only now, so not going to bother getting them inspected.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were any of these models sold on bikes outside the US? Or is this purely a US (and Canada) problem?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would I know?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
How would I know?

Sorry, I wasn’t asking YOU directly, I just replied to the last comment.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Shimano issues recall on its Hollowtech Crankarms (affecting Ultegra 6800 and 8000 series; and Dura Ace 9000 and 9100 series) [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
How would I know?

How about NOT doing that? Lazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
How would I know?

How about NOT doing that? Lazy.

Anyways… was this crankset sold outside the US?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Anyways… was this crankset sold outside the US?
Of course they f'ing were (see also Canada 60k). See my post above. Shimano Eu with same recall.
Quote Reply

Prev Next