Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [sedated] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sedated wrote:
This thread has had a lot of great info and anecdotes put out there, but here's a quick update regarding current market options, since many of the previous posts mention now incorrect information regarding Rx's and pricing, etc.

• Normatec (http://www.normatecrecovery.com/) Just went live with a new website like today, they have their MVP model available for $1650, no Rx needed. There is also a Pro model that needs a Rx.

These are still the two main options to choose from, and I can't decide for myself. (As for others, podium legs site has been down for weeks so I'm guessing that's done and sport pump I cannot take seriously.)

I would not be so quick to diss SportsPump. While I am partial to NormaTec, they are selling the BioCompression SC-2004 and BioCryo which are FDA approved devices sold in the United States. The Podium Legs... Any searches and references I found always go to Asia, so I am not sure if their status.

That being said, the Podium Legs are around $600 and what you are getting is pretty much what you get with the Recovery Pump... Both are very basic systems, both offer sequential compression by which the feet get more overall compression than the quads, and I would put the build quality along the same lines. The LymphaPress Petit Basic System (RecoveryPump) has been around for over a decade.

I think the BioCompression Boots are a little better build quality than the Recovery Pump ones.

If I were to rank them, the NormaTec Pro is the best one on the market. LymphaPress does have some other comparable model that likewise sell in a similar price range, so their price for what they offer is not exaggerated. Some of the LymphaPress offerings are much more expensive in fact.

The NormaTec MVP is the best of both worlds. The compression pump is quiet as hell. You really hear the air more than the pump, and again, I love the calibration, build quality, and like their form of phased sequential compression with the pulse.

I would probably look at SportsPump next. I don't really like the compression or lack of features, and think their model is too cut back, but price and build are better than Recovery Pump.

Podium Legs I would put at 4th. Not sure if they are still around or whether they will still be around because I don't think they went through the FDA process... but if you are going to buy cheap boots and cheap pump, you should pay a cheap price. Podium Legs are about half the Recovery Pump and all things considered, outside of price they are very similar.

I can't justify RecoveryPump. I almost went through a medical wholesaler, and you can find the Petit basic system cheaper. The technology is old, and when you really start looking at what is out there and available, there are other cheaper options. I don't like their compression, or the compression of PodiumLegs or SportsPump, and find it uneven

Everyone has their own decisions or values / Cost Benefit to weigh, just be warned, you slip into the NormaTecs a few times, it is almost impossible to slip into the other offerings without feeling cheap and dirty.

Just an opinion. But the was the exact visceral reaction I had. I had purchased another boot pre-Rev3 Knoxville, and after getting back into the NormaTecs, then next day plus when I would see ads or images of the other products, I just thought.. "Yeah... NO!" and called and cancelled and went NormaTec.

Been there. Done that. Tried the justifying the cheaper price, and grateful for the fact that my first purchase was back ordered. No regrets
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just my .2...I used NormaTech MVP...the base level unit, at Rev3 WI Dells. They had a tent set up and had an open sport when I finished the race. I was zipped up and getting compressed maybe 5 min post race/ This is after 3100ft climbing ont he bike and a hilly run. I have to say the normaTech felt great while pumping and days after I was surprisingly less sore int he legs than anytime after a HIM. I'm thinking about shelling out the $1600 bones for a unit...just wish it was closer to that $1000 price point of the Recoverypump
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

waupaca11 wrote:
just my .2...I used NormaTech MVP...the base level unit, at Rev3 WI Dells. They had a tent set up and had an open sport when I finished the race. I was zipped up and getting compressed maybe 5 min post race/ This is after 3100ft climbing ont he bike and a hilly run. I have to say the normaTech felt great while pumping and days after I was surprisingly less sore int he legs than anytime after a HIM. I'm thinking about shelling out the $1600 bones for a unit...just wish it was closer to that $1000 price point of the Recoverypump

+1- I used them at Rev3 Dells and WOW what a difference just riding home 2 hours and actually getting out and training the next day. I am with you- the price is killing me but still trying to find a way to justify them (to the wife especially)
May have to look into the "other" models now just to see what else is out there, thanks for the info from everyone else.

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normatec sure seems like an awesome product, but I wish they could be a little bit cheaper. Sadly, for us mortal without sponsorship they is some cheaper option around that, even if they are not as good, would probably do the trick.

I would be interested in reading a study that could prove me that paying twice the price is worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [rlejeune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google "sequential compression device", amazon has a 4 chamber full leg for $ 379. This is old medical technology, but I bet it wold give you the vast majority of the recovery benefits- my reading of the medical literature suggests one would need very little pressure (30-40mm HG) to see the best femoral artery blood flow (which suggests to me increased recovery possibilities). At some point I will take a shot with $400 and color it some sporty colors :)
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [tridad3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridad3 wrote:
Google "sequential compression device", amazon has a 4 chamber full leg for $ 379.

I looked into that one and gave up after discovering it has limited leg choices and concluding they were too short for me. I believe they were 30" max.

Quote:
This is old medical technology, but I bet it wold give you the vast majority of the recovery benefits-

(Not targeted at you tridad, but more generally)

I'm still surprised and disappointed that everyone assumes that the "old technology" is worse, based on some combination of NormatTec's marketing, and the fact that some famous people are using it. There are numerous medical studies showing that the old style sequential compression devices are effective for various medical conditions. I've yet to find any medical studies showing that Normatec's technology is superior.

Normatec's site (and quite honestly, Rappstar's posts above, which even contain factual errors) have more marketing fluff than substance:
- It uses "old technology" as a negative term, implying anything new must be better
- Uses the fact that it's patented to imply efficacy, which is crap (you can patent bad ideas.. they just must be new)
- It's invented by a PhD - therefore the technology must be awesome?

It's also a potentially misleading description: Their writeup originally lead me to believe that NormaTec invented and patented peristaltic compression (where only 2 or 3 chambers are compressed at one time). This is not true. There are other units that have been doing peristaltic compression for a while now. NormaTec's patent is based on adding in the pulsing action combined with peristaltic compression.

I would love to see a study comparing:
1) Sequential compression vs peristaltic compression
2) Peristaltic compression with and without NormaTec's pulsing

Until then, it would be nice not to see everyone be dazzled by marketing info and propagating the "newer must be better" mantra, whether due to being sponsored or otherwise. It very well could be better, but we don't know that for sure, and the lack of published comparative studies makes me at least somewhat skeptical. (If it exists and I missed it, send me a link?)

Their FDA status is also meaningless in terms of arguing efficacy. Technically they are only "FDA Cleared" which does not involve any testing for safety and efficacy, but simply arguing that the product is similar to a device that has already been approved. Here's an example post in the Lymphedema community that expresses concerns over Normatec's marketing and efficacy.
Last edited by: matto: Sep 2, 12 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. It is old, proven, effective technology (for medical issues) that I have not seen evidence, or am aware of, any "new" technology that is more effective. SCD (sequential compression devices) are the standard of care for preventing blood clots after surgery/trauma, improving lymphedema etc... Now how this translates to athletic recovery is more anecdotal (at least to me) at this stage, but appears to be positive. Given the proven medical benefits of increased blood flow/lymphatic movement I would anticipate it being an effective tool for recovery- as long as the price is right!
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [tridad3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are other newer cheaper pumps out. Just as effective, and some have more features.
Check out The RevitaPump at http://www.revitapump.com. Basic Model similar to Recovery Pump is $649. The Digital Model with 8 compression modes is $999.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another new player. I've been selling compression pumps for years. These pumps are actually USA made.

There are other newer cheaper pumps out. Just as effective, and some have more features.
Check out The RevitaPump at http://www.revitapump.com. Basic Model similar to Recovery Pump is $649. The Digital Model with 8 compression modes is $999.
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [revitapump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you created a whole new login just to tell us that huh?
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [revitapump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
revitapump wrote:
Another new player. I've been selling compression pumps for years. These pumps are actually USA made.

So why would I buy it from you, when I can get it from NeoMedic directly since it is their devices as well as it looks like I can get it off of Amazon cheaper?

In fact, the digital model is the the price of your basic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do any of these models cover the hams/glutes/hips areas?
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out:

http://www.h-e-a-t.com/...lancer-pro-1033.html

These pumps have a "pants" garment that addresses your needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Maui5150, thanks for you imput.....the Normatec MVP is on my list of things to get. I wish I had them this moment too!!
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [bad91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New to this forum - I discovered it as I was investigating recovery pumps. Has anyone tried a device called the Venowave? Its portable (battery-operated) but I'm not sure if it will generate the same pressure and pneumatic devices.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MRtrihealth [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: MRtrihealth: Dec 4, 12 17:52
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doesnt include the glutes.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MRtrihealth [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: MRtrihealth: Dec 4, 12 17:50
Quote | Reply
Recovery Pump is still on sale for $995, although more partial to the NormaTech. Hard to wrap my head around the additional $600. Anyone been using either lately?
Last edited by: waupaca11: Jan 8, 13 20:53
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
Come on, Jordan - step up for NormaTec and have them ship me a demo unit for early June... I can guarantee HUGE exposure!

When you get the units rather than trying them and judging the effectiveness by how your legs feel, you should go a ve3ry scientific run test. Just shut your eyes and run for a while If you go in a circle then the faster leg obviously recovered better.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA:
I just ordered my Normatec MVP's from their site. . . the coupon code "Alexander12" is still good for $150 off and free shipping. . . .so $1495 shipped.

Thanks to this thread for dragging that dough out of me. I've got most of the boxes checked equipment and training wise. I sooo wanted to jump to the P5 this year but, bang for buck, I feel like developing my engine further is still the best investment. I already ride a well positioned P3, 808 FCs, quarq, etc so lets see what freshening up the legs does for me. My anesthesia job + 12k meters/pw Swim, 50 mpw BarryP, and 200 (building) quality riding is taking its toll.
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [mjcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lordy lordy! I got my Normatecs...arrived approx. 5 days after ordering. Very easy to use right out of the box. Build quality is medical/commercial grade IMHO. The pulse technology is a winner for these boots over systems I've seen in healthcare. I've settled in on setting 5 (1-7, 7 strongest). My wife prefers 2 (girls lol). They are already making a difference. I even put them on after a long day of work... Game changers
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [mjcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for a pair of recovery boots if y'all have any for sale. Shoot me a PM. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I want to choose everything Lance chooses...and I still like Lance -- but let's not open that can of worms (or did I just do that??)
Quote Reply
Re: NormaTec MVP Boot vs. Recovery Pump Boot [timryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timryan wrote:
Not sure I want to choose everything Lance chooses...and I still like Lance -- but let's not open that can of worms (or did I just do that??)

Don't really care what you're eluding to. Just want some good recovery boots...that's all. No need to bring something irrelevant to this string of posts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next