Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Actually it is possible to operate hydraulic hose with a splitter where the reservoir sits in. We dud a built for a customer with 1 functional hand to operate 2 hydraulic disc brakes with 1 lever. But you could also run 2 cables to two separate brakes, but the hardware is quite big and not easy to integrate in a bar or frame.

Jeroen

2 brakes from 1 lever is different than 2 levers (and reservoirs) to one brake. In the latter, you'd end up just pushing fluid from one reservoir to the other...

Conversely, hydraulic rim brakes don't require a reservoir and can be set up as a "closed" system. No problem there for 2 levers into one brake...or 2 brakes from one lever, for that matter :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm,yes, i think you ate right. Now that i think back to that splitter it has 1 entry port and a double output to the brakes.
I guess i was to quick with my reaction ;-) it would be a nice idea though ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [aesops02267] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are those brake levers seriously on the extensions or is that someone just playing around during setup??
I could not imagine the instability created when braking from the extensions......
Surely that is just someone putting them there prior to installing properly??!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do find it entertaining that Jtek and 'aero or die' have been forgotten.

Not my style, but brake levers on extensions are not new (as you, at least, well know)

My feeling on the frame design is that they've focused on what happens to the air that comes off the front wheel into the fork crown area.
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way there would be tilt here is if the extension bracket swivels against the mono clamp. But I don't see room for the hardware to do that so I'm not hopeful.
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Are those brake levers seriously on the extensions or is that someone just playing around during setup??
I could not imagine the instability created when braking from the extensions......

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I knew a few people who used mechanical splitters to run levers on the extensions...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I knew a few people who used mechanical splitters to run levers on the extensions...

Exactly. The intend was to mount at least the rear brake lever (on a splitter) on the extensions, so that one could easily scrub off speed and take minor turns without getting out of the aero position.

Doing that split is a lot easier and better performing with a hydraulic system (without lever reservoirs, that is) than a cable system. In fact, one can buy a "Y" splitter for Magura rim brake hose that's intended for trials bike purposes that will do the job: https://www.trialprod.com/...t-hose-splitter.html

Of course, the old Hooker "Aero or Die" aerobars took that concept of brake levers on the extensions to a whole 'nuther level, with no basebar (per se), a brake lever mounted on the right extension out near the tip, and with the brake lever on the left extension further back. The idea was to more easily perform a left turn at a turnaround, as was typically the fashion for a 40K out-and-back TT course ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Sep 15, 20 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need to brake, why do you need to be in a position intended to go faster. If you want to bleed speed, should you not just sit up for a sec? This only makes sense if the fact you have the brakes on the extension is beneficial when you are trying to go faster. So that would be the aero penality of having the levers out there vs in a stagnation region perhaps.

I get why brakes are on extensions on an AoD setup, but with a base bar? I don't know. Seems like a silly idea.

Beautiful picture of the Hooker btw. Thanks!

Interesting design on the downtube of the new Plasma. It seems like what works is either minimizing the gap to the wheel, or make it large enough that interference drag is not an issue. Will be interesting to see tunnel numbers.

Nice bottom bracket gusset!
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'm not seeing any obvious way of adding tilt, but I guess there could be something in the clamp contraption to allow that?

I don't think there is without going the wedge route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't think that Scott will put brakes in the aerobars, at least for triathlon market.
(maybe, for TT races)....
All pics that I saw for this new Scott Plasma, the breaks are in the basebar ("normal").

In this Instagram, there are more pics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFJ9uq7hsFI/
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two built-in hydration bottles. Interesting.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know, back end looks nice, that big gap between the tube and the front wheel, i thoght i read somewhere that would make a bike less aero, guess not??
The many straws and bladder seems interesting but does not please the eye, i actually think the old design was really solid! Big question is if they will release it in XL as they did with the old one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
I really don't think that Scott will put brakes in the aerobars, at least for triathlon market.
(maybe, for TT races)....
All pics that I saw for this new Scott Plasma, the breaks are in the basebar ("normal").

In this Instagram, there are more pics.

There's zero chance this is an option even if someone wanted to do it that way. There's no way to run the brake line from the extensions to the brake calipers. The front brake hose goes through the fork in one of the tech drawings I saw.

Interesting that the bottom bracket is another bottle, seems like overkill particularly since there is a frame bottle. I had the same question when I saw it initially, but just chalked it up as a "storage". I think if Scott thought about this bike being as versatile as possible, there are ways to make the BB & top tube bottles storage.

The base bar doesn't appear to have any foldable feature for ease of travel. It does appear it can be set-up to have drop or rise which is nice.
Last edited by: Andres: Sep 17, 20 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do an XL, Just saw it in their B2B website, 7k for the frame set

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the exploded diagram Andres posted on his site there are fixed tilt options by switching out the mono riser clamp
Angles are written on the side of the shim

This sort of thing provides some of the answer to the other thread about why bikes are so expensive - all those proprietary parts in the bars cost a lot to make.

Also appears that electronic cables will go into the rubber cover on the top of the mono, then down into the basebar, so you won't want too much mono left sticking up.
Basebar grip height comes from changing the bar, not flipping it.
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Sep 17, 20 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that plus all the storage. I don’t get it. We aren’t going camping for a week on a bike like this.
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, now I get it... it's an aero bikepacking bike! Lol.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

The fit chart has been posted a long time ago. Search "plasma" and one of the previous threads has it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Two built-in hydration bottles. Interesting.

Where are you seeing two? I see one (looped) straw coming out of the frame and the BTA is for nutrition
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at the Instagram pics from the link below you'll see two straws and also notice the frame storage near the bottom bracket is actually a hydration bottle.

Wouldn't surprise me if they offer different solutions for that area. If they don't, someone will eventually.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh cool. I dig it, actually. Aid station carb drink in one, water in the other, fix kit in the rear, and personal special sauce blend in the BTS bottle.

I wouldnt use their the BTA tthough. I think you could mount something cleaner/narrower if you wanted food there, though. Like a PD ATTK mounted at the same height, reversed, and backed up with the wide end against the monopost
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

That's so much for a frame :(

The Di2 price is more reasonable, but a waste when so many of the components aren't what I want
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, good spot on that!!! I was wondering why there seemed to be duplicates of that. Duh!
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was searching for something else and I saw it listed here

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or here: https://www.radsportfrei.ch/...emium_Bike_XL58.html
for 17 kCHF (about 18.5 kUSD) in SRAM Red AXS and Zipp 808 !

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Last edited by: jcbesse: Oct 7, 20 0:17
Quote Reply

Prev Next