Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [aesops02267] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brakes on the extensions is, umm, interesting. I can't see if those are stack-able spacers on the aero bar monopost, or if you just cut it to size once fit

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That rear of the monopost clamp looks super bulky and unaero. As does the back of the nutrition storage. Looks and reminds me of how blocky the rear of the S-Works cockpit is. Seems like it could have been made for more streamlined
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks less ugly from the side than what I saw in the previous pictures, but that front hydration system still looks out of place or completely the wrong shape or something. I would've hoped it would be something somewhat integrated like on the Canyon Speedmax/Cube Aerium C68/Profile Design Aeria Ultimate.

Brakes on the extensions seems like an accident waiting to happen, at least 80% of people don't descend in aero bars.. And I like the mono riser from a visual perspective but it seems like a pain having to cut that.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Sep 14, 20 22:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's some nice touches there and its good to see more innovation
however, brakes on the extensions = no from me
also the arm cups look very flat and its hard to be sure from those pics but i suspect not readily replaceable with aftermarket options as they look to be integrated with the connection to the mono-riser. similarly, it doesn't look like you can adjust the width of the extensions (probably constrained by the bento anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Brakes on the extensions is, umm, interesting. I can't see if those are stack-able spacers on the aero bar monopost, or if you just cut it to size once fit

The absence of hoses, shifters and chain makes me thing someone just stuffed the levers in there.
At least that's what I'm hoping.

From the look of the clamp fixing I'm guessing the bracket has grooves to match those on the tower for security. Having a tower that the bracket moves on would be their way of getting around the patent issues for mono risers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They finally solved the riddle of getting rid of the chain and pedals, nice!
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end setup is clearly designed to have the brakes in the normal position and an etap groupset. You can see where shifter cables can be routed out the back of the extension but there doesn't appear to be an obvious place to hide a junction box. The lack of complete front end integration probably helped them get around patents related to the riser on the front end but means the bike is designed for etap.

The front end system also makes it potentially easier to live with fully hidden hydraulic hoses as you can adjust the fit without messing with the hose. You may also has enough room to remove the bar for travel without disconnecting the hoses which would be a win. The down side is some serious creativity may be needed to wiggle the bars and frame in a bike bag without disconnecting the hoses. The riser poses a significant geometry challenge in terms of getting the bars the right plane to fit into a bike box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not seeing any obvious way of adding tilt, but I guess there could be something in the clamp contraption to allow that?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

I guess they could put the brake levers inside the hydration container for more aerodynamics too.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brakes on the extensions, a BTA bento box???? Ugly paint....??? Hope this is just a concept?
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
It looks less ugly from the side than what I saw in the previous pictures, but that front hydration system still looks out of place or completely the wrong shape or something. I would've hoped it would be something somewhat integrated like on the Canyon Speedmax/Cube Aerium C68/Profile Design Aeria Ultimate.

Brakes on the extensions seems like an accident waiting to happen, at least 80% of people don't descend in aero bars.. And I like the mono riser from a visual perspective but it seems like a pain having to cut that.

That's definitely a bento box.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
That rear of the monopost clamp looks super bulky and unaero. As does the back of the nutrition storage. Looks and reminds me of how blocky the rear of the S-Works cockpit is. Seems like it could have been made for more streamlined

Is that monopost meant to be cut?
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rear lever under the nose of your saddle... Saves cable length too

Once-a-miler wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

I guess they could put the brake levers inside the hydration container for more aerodynamics too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

The absence of hoses, shifters and chain makes me thing someone just stuffed the levers in there.
At least that's what I'm hoping.

From the look of the clamp fixing I'm guessing the bracket has grooves to match those on the tower for security. Having a tower that the bracket moves on would be their way of getting around the patent issues for mono risers.

You know...if the brakes were hydraulic RIM configuration, it would actually be possible to run levers at BOTH the extensions and the base bar ("Y" configuration on the levers to the calipers).

But, with hydraulic disc (with the necessary fluid reservoir) configuration, that's not possible...sigh...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The grooves on the base bar are interesting. They may actually be slots that go all the way through the bar. It'll be interesting to see what the claimed advantage is.

Agree with cyclenutnz that the mono post is grooved and meant to be cut. I don't see the ability to tilt, though nowadays you can just replace the arm pads with cups and get upturned extensions to take care of that. Mantis is the future only limited by how high you can bring your hands up to see down the road.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
The grooves on the base bar are interesting. They may actually be slots that go all the way through the bar. It'll be interesting to see what the claimed advantage is.

Agree with cyclenutnz that the mono post is grooved and meant to be cut. I don't see the ability to tilt, though nowadays you can just replace the arm pads with cups and get upturned extensions to take care of that. Mantis is the future only limited by how high you can bring your hands up to see down the road.

Basebar "grooves" look like cosmetic striping to me...

Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

+1

I also find the large space between the down tube and front wheel interesting. Back during the wind tunnel shootout my faulty aero eyeball thought that a large gap in that location would be the downfall of the Premiere Tactical given the direction some other manufacturers took, but I was wrong. I wonder if Scott and others have done some work that show an advantage of having that space. Perhaps particularly when the wheel is turned?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is a series of different length bolt that go from the top into the base base
and the grooves you see are loose and stackable / cut-able sections?
Just a guess

Last edited by: Constantine: Sep 15, 20 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, yes, now that I'm looking at them on my laptop and not my phone, I see them more clearly. Lol.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Scott Plasma Confirm! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

+1

I also find the large space between the down tube and front wheel interesting. Back during the wind tunnel shootout my faulty aero eyeball thought that a large gap in that location would be the downfall of the Premiere Tactical given the direction some other manufacturers took, but I was wrong. I wonder if Scott and others have done some work that show an advantage of having that space. Perhaps particularly when the wheel is turned?

I'm thinking they just are mimicking the downtubes on 29er MTBs (that make room for the suspension travel on the 700C wheels)...it's got disc brakes on it now, after all. What's next, front suspension? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually it is possible to operate hydraulic hose with a splitter where the reservoir sits in. We dud a built for a customer with 1 functional hand to operate 2 hydraulic disc brakes with 1 lever. But you could also run 2 cables to two separate brakes, but the hardware is quite big and not easy to integrate in a bar or frame.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply

Prev Next