Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
The shoe is definitely unstable. Watch athletes with poor OR weak mechanical infrastructure and you can see it. There are many athletes already surfacing with achilles, calf and posterior tibialis injuries after switching to the VP 4 or Next % shoe. Many more will follow. The shoe is definitely not for everyone, and very bad for some

Thats the athletes running which is unstable, not the shoe. They promote good mechanics, if you dont run with good enough mechanics then highly likely you arent going to like them as they will uncover any weaknesses which other shoes may be covering up for you through some extra stability features that they have. I'm a heavy runner (16st) who puts a lot of force through the footstrike, but i have good mechanics and these shoes are an absolute dream to run in! They just make you want to run fast.

Are they weird to walk in? absolutely, but thats not what they are designed to do. Will they help stabalise your over-pronation? definitely not, but thats not what they are designed to do.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:

Thats the athletes running which is unstable, not the shoe. They promote good mechanics, if you dont run with good enough mechanics then highly likely you arent going to like them as they will uncover any weaknesses which other shoes may be covering up for you through some extra stability features that they have. I'm a heavy runner (16st) who puts a lot of force through the footstrike, but i have good mechanics and these shoes are an absolute dream to run in! They just make you want to run fast.

Are they weird to walk in? absolutely, but thats not what they are designed to do. Will they help stabalise your over-pronation? definitely not, but thats not what they are designed to do.

That doesn't mean the shoe promotes good mechanics. That means they're great for people who have good mechanics.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
The shoe is definitely unstable. Watch athletes with poor OR weak mechanical infrastructure and you can see it. There are many athletes already surfacing with achilles, calf and posterior tibialis injuries after switching to the VP 4 or Next % shoe. Many more will follow. The shoe is definitely not for everyone, and very bad for some

You said it to start...they are either poor or weak biomechanically.

Athletes like that should purchase a shoe accordingly to deal with their deficiencies.
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
TLT wrote:

That doesn't mean the shoe promotes good mechanics. That means they're great for people who have good mechanics.

Yes, it does. What it doesn’t do is correct poor mechanics (which isn’t promotion of good mechanics it’s correction of poor technique or biomechanical issues).

@the.lazy.triathlete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other words : "if you have no problems, this shoes will solve them for you"

This is what we usually call "a very narrow usage window"

What is the percentage of peoples with "good enough mechanics" to use them correctly ?
I do not know. I'm not in. And I'm not alone.
What % of the runners : ??

Your version : it is a great shoes for peoples with good mechanics. Yes. Sure.
My version : it work for some peoples, it does not for some others. Are the one the shoe is working for "with good mechanic" ? Maybe, maybe not.

Hopefully, the competition now filling the gap will bring similar performance shoes with a "wider usage window".

Maybe this is not interesting for you. It is for us, with "not good enough mechanics".
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Feb 8, 20 3:21
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
In other words : "if you have no problems, this shoes will solve them"

This is what we usually call "a very narrow usage window"

Like Dan wrote in his 4% review :
"But for a longer run or race there are way too many other bothersome issues for me to really like them. The elements that annoy me will catch up and overtake the features (such as the lighter weight) and make me slower."

What is the percentage of peoples with "good enough mechanics" to use them correctly ?
I do not know. I'm not in. Dan is not in. We are probably too old :-)
As you say, it is a great shoes for peoples with good mechanics. Sure.
What % of the runners : ??

Hopefully, the competition now filling the gap will bring similar performance shoes with a "wider usage window".

Maybe this is not interesting for you. It is for us, with "not good enough mechanics".

This hurt to read. If you have an issue significant enough that you need a feature within a shoe to correct it for you, then the Next% is not built for you. You cannot call it unstable because you have mechanical issues which cause you to be unstable. It's nothing to do with age. You dont need perfect running mechanics by any means for these to work for you. It's like blaming a MTB for not being aero enough, its not designed to be!

Quoting yours and Dan's opinions doesnt make that a fact; it just means for you and dan, they dont work or you arent willing to correct issues to make them work for you (if thats possible). I've not read Dan's review to know enough about that small sentence you've extracted, but tbh it sounds like hes guessing what will happen rather than actually testing it. There are 1000's of people who are running in them perfectly happily and smashing PB's, so no i wouldn't call that a narrow window. Take a look at their sales.

Why wouldn't I want other brands to develop shoes just as good? or that cater to wider needs in terms of support etc? I've never said I wouldn't, so stop trying to push your obvious anti-Nike BS onto me. I hope we see all the brands bring out shoes just as good, because then we should get a price drop on them all and running will stop being the Nike show and just go back to running. But for now, they are seriously ahead of the game!

@the.lazy.triathlete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:

You will notice I corrected my initial post. My mistake, I mixed reviewed from Dan and Jeroen. None of them liking the shoe, by the way.

To the subject :

"Thats the athletes running which is unstable, not the shoe."

Wow... just wow

I need no "feature" in my shoes.
I run only in "neutral shoes", with no special support or orthotics.
And I have absolutely no issues.

The Nike VF4% is the only shoes who injured me. Because it is specially unstable. As other peoples wrote just above your post.
And your answer was THIS. Wow....

No, I do not agree.

The answer, for me, and other posters above, is "very narrow usage window" shoes.

Stop denying the truth.
If reviewers say "risk of injury" : https://fellrnr.com/wiki/Nike_Vaporfly_4%25
If many peoples come here to say "risk of injury"
..... it is most probably because the VF4% is specially unstable. And is associated with a specially high risk of injury.
Higher than most neutral shoes.

This does not prevent some peoples to use them without injuries. OK
Next is much better than initial 4%. OK.

And yes, we all expect other brands fill the performance gap with more stable shoes and better prices.

I'm not anti-Nike, I'm just allergic to bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm talking about the Next%, not the VP4%. I've never run in the latter.

You're linking a wiki review which is several years and models out of date to current shoes. The guy who wrote it also says "I've rated the Vaporfly as "best of the best"". See how we can all cherry pick info.

You're trying to use a handful of anecdotal experiences (about an old shoe that doesn't even carry over to newer versions/models) to slate an entire range of shoes.

"it is most probably because the VF4% is specially unstable. And is associated with a specially high risk of injury.
Higher than most neutral shoes" Once again, not a fact. Just based on a couple of anecdotal experiences you've read and taken as gospel.

I'm bored of your drivel, I wont be responding to you further.

@the.lazy.triathlete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
I'm talking about the Next%, not the VP4%. I've never run in the latter.

You're linking a wiki review which is several years and models out of date to current shoes. The guy who wrote it also says "I've rated the Vaporfly as "best of the best"". See how we can all cherry pick info.

You're trying to use a handful of anecdotal experiences (about an old shoe that doesn't even carry over to newer versions/models) to slate an entire range of shoes.

"it is most probably because the VF4% is specially unstable. And is associated with a specially high risk of injury.
Higher than most neutral shoes" Once again, not a fact. Just based on a couple of anecdotal experiences you've read and taken as gospel.

I'm bored of your drivel, I wont be responding to you further.

I think we unfortunately have fed a troll. I'm with you on this; I won't be responding either. It's a waste of energy for someone who clearly has biomechanical issues and needs something drastically different than the vast majority of normal runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
TLT wrote:

Yes, it does. What it doesn’t do is correct poor mechanics (which isn’t promotion of good mechanics it’s correction of poor technique or biomechanical issues).

So then the shoe doesn't promote good mechanics lol.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
... someone who clearly has biomechanical issues and needs something drastically different than the vast majority of normal runners.

LOL

Super-turdburgler have the super-power to see I have "biomechanical issues and needs something drastically different than the vast majority of normal runners".

This is probably why I'm running in neutral shoes with no orthotics, despite the fact I'm old and slow.

On CloudSurfer and CloudFlow
NB 1080 and Zante
Brooks Ghost 10 and Ravenna 9 (oh, look, a drastic control shoe !!!)
Hoka Bondi, Clifton, Rincon, Carbon X, SpeedGoat, ...
Old neutral Reebok and ASICS, ....

Sure these are shoes "drastically different than what is needed for the vast majority of normal runners"

You are right, let's stop the exchange here. I know who you are now.
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

An interesting interview of Ben Rosario, coach of the Hoka sponsored Northern Arizona Elite team, before the Olympic Trials in Atlanta :

https://www.letsrun.com/...ley-even-galen-rupp/

I copy the link here as he talk about the new (future) Hoka racer at the end of the interview.
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A better picture can be found in this Strava from Jim Walmsley, part of his preparation for Atlanta trials (ok, here it is soft trail) :

https://www.strava.com/activities/3083545712

I already noticed, these days, sometimes he used the "innovation shoe" tag he already used when he was testing the Carbon X, then the EVO Speedgoat. I was wondering if it was the new Hoka racer.

Here, there is a picture, and the picture seems to say "yes", as they look pretty much like the ones on Fauble video.
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another picture of the new "marathon" Hoka ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8redt4nPD6/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interview on Letsrun confirms new shoe,

"He’s going to be racing the Olympic Trials in a prototype pair of HOKA ONE ONE shoes that he loves and has nicknamed “The Trials Dagger.” "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and I too believe Faubs has a chance to win!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From an interview of Stephanie Bruce on Hoka blog (14 february) :

"Just recently we’ve been trying out the Rocket X, and I’ve like them so far, so if things point towards that direction, I will most likely run the marathon in the Rocket X."

After Aliphine victory in the women trial race, I guess it is time to announce something...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, all Hoka Runners were in that shoe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

https://twitter.com/...524847394816/photo/1

Hoka Rocket X
200 $
5mm drop
7.4 oz

Not sure if you can see it on the US site (being in Europe, can't see it).

Any info regarding softness and cushion of this model compared to Carbon Rocket (hard), Carbon X (medium), PeBa models (soft such as Nike, Saucony, ...) ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

https://www.hokaoneone.com/rocket-x/1120671.html

Only "one" shoe available- Male 5.5 or Female 6.5

I guess that counts as a public limited release?
The latest mark of HOKA innovation in lightweight, cushioned footwear, Rocket X is an unprecedented performance shoe. A groundbreaking midsole combines responsive agility with soft, forgiving landing, and contains a carbon fiber plate designed for maximal stride efficiency. Launch off the line with Rocket X.
FEATURESNew lightweight EVA foam designed to deliver a soft and responsive ride
  • 1mm carbon fiber plate designed for maximal efficiency
  • Strategically-placed rubber outsole for added durability and traction
  • Open mesh upper designed to provide comfort and breathability
  • Perforated tongue with side wings offers a stable and comfortable fit
  • Early stage Meta-Rocker designed to provide a smooth ride
  • Quote Reply
    Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [Dalton] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Beautiful. I have the carbon rocket in my shoe arsenal that I keep in the box ready for races. I def want to hear reviews of this shoe in terms of the differences between the Carbon X and the Rocket. I felt the rocket didnt get much attention for some reason, but i loved how stiff and minimally dropped that thing is.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
    https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
    Quote Reply
    Re: New HOKA for the Olympics ? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    The P-wolf is a well known anti-Nike troll. His facileness with English is superior to his use of factoids.

I personally don’t care. In fact I hope all of my competition doesn’t use the VF!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Not sure if you can see it on the US site (being in Europe, can't see it).

This should work for those of us not in the US

https://web.archive.org/...ocket-x/1120671.html
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Seems expensive for an EVA shoe. I can only imagine the margins on these shoes
    Quote Reply

Prev Next