Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [simon lessing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would lap my Jet- ski....any other examples Simon ?

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Dave Scott did a sprint in Dallas last weekend [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and won. This is the second year he has come for the race and he won last year too.
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one objective when I swim with Dave.....to lap him.
Dave has one objective when he swims with me..... not to get lapped by me.
It usually ends up with everyone else in the lane getting pissed off with the both of us (especially my wife) as I usually hijack the interval if Dave is making it!

a lot of testosterone in our lane.
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [simon lessing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Scott's locker is across the locker room from mine at FAC. He looks better at 50-ish than I did in my 20's.

Best of luck Simon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simon,

Since I started the dang thread, (and since Dave's picture was up on the fridge way back in 1984 while I was thinking of doing my first tri the next summer...)spill the beans a little...despite trying not to get lapped by you in the pool, from what you see could he still pull off a sub 9 in Kona at 51?

Mark

(Nice of you to take part on the forum with us BTW)
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dave himself said that he could easily blow away sub 9 at Kona when guys like Molina were racing in the mid 9's at other Ironmans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simon, more importantly is Dave squatting and bench pressing more than you ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love to watch that , hopefully I could take some mental notes to sort out some of my many technique flaws.

In the big picture though , nothing like training with athletes of his caliber to push it just that little bit more.

Are you planning on catching Jan Siebbersen on the swim this year ?

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you gave Dave the time to get fit and if he could stay away from injury for a period of time. I really do think that he could go sub 9
I have never met anyone who enjoys physically pushing himself as much as he does, he is one tough guy.
He just never gives up!

Dave is also living in the real world, like most of us he has other obligations,family,buisness and a personal life to take care of.

I think it would take a lot to get him back on the start line of Hawaii
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simon, best of luck in Kona. I plan to be back there next year. (Only short course for me this year).

David C
Reston, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simon,

Thanks for the reply. It is a cool thing to have your insight on things. I also think it says something about Dave that this thread has over 9000 views after a relative few hours on the board.

Best of luck to you this year...and tell The Man we all say hi!

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But seriously, have you guys ever seen Dave Scott out of shape."

Simon,

I went for a 10 mile run with Dave in Penticton during IMC week a few years ago. I recall standing in the parking lot yakking with the rest of the guys after the run and Dave takes his shirt off and I could not believe that I was looking at the body of a man in his late 40's. He seems to be very well preserved.

Best wishes in Kona,

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See Fleck...cosmetic bulk rules. You better get your skinny ass in the weight room, or wither away to aerobic nothingness....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave still races now and then, right?

I would love to see Mark Allen race again also, even it was just an appearance thing.
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He seems to be very well preserved". Yeah, but can he make a face quite like this guy, the Tyrant of Clermont?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that my face would look a lot worse if I was trying to cycle barefoot on SPD pedals up a hill. OUCH!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Man swam and rode at the 25th anniversary Sports Spectrum in Shreveport, LA a few weeks back. Took off with the young guys and by the first bouy there wasn't anyone even close. 1300+participants and many spectators jaws dropped to the floor when he dropped his shirt. Best part of it, he was as nice as he could be. I am with whomever posted the comment of 10,000+ viewers on this post!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simon,

any chance of you coming back to IM Lake Placid in 06?

Watching you win the 04 race was amazing!
You certainly brought an aura of prestige to my hometown IM.
Have a great race at Kona .

PS- And just like all the folks here on ST , it would be a huge thrill to watch Dave tow the line with you guys at Kona again,especially if he found the time to carve out some serious fitness.He's a gentic phenom.

Fish

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [Tom 538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He won a sprint in Dallas on Sunday. He mentioned that he had a long line of guys lined up to kid him about how they were gonna beat him.

He was good natured about it but you know that has to get old, having 30 year olds gunning for him in a sprint.

My goal was to finish within 10 minutes of him, missed that by about 40 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

We've got to back Mister Lessing's run training, he's the best all-round triathlete of the last 15 years -- certainly the best all-round runner. One of the greatest moments of my tri-career was when the big guy shared details of his long run with me and I realized that I was doing the same thing. OK, two minutes slower over 20 miles but I was close!

I wouldn't offer Simon advice on racing as he's got a wee bit more experience than me. However... I think that an effective strategy might be... line up behind Peter, follow Peter all day long, make move at Mile 25 marker, thank Gordo on October 16th (I'll be sitting at Dave's table -- he can vouch for the strategy).

Being fast to T2 can be a curse. The fastest Ironman many talented folks do is their 'slowest'. History indicates that the best runners in our sport dominate when not leading off the bike.

g
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too Bad Dave Scott's not racing Kona.

I am really looking forward to hopefully meet him when he comes to Vegas to participate in the Silverman in November! Man, I've never seen ANYONE that freaking fit!

Jason

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [gbyrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man

Good to hear from you. Do you really think Simon is posting here? :-) My advice is free, so he can take it for what its worth, right? :-)

I agree that no one has been a better all around athlete the past 15 years, with the exception of that little Aussie power house, Welchie.

I like your advice and would use that as my strategy as well. I think Simon has the ability to win but racing off the front @IMH- not so sure that's the way to do it - it's only been done 4x that I can think of (Stadler, Helriegel, Scott, Howard). Once again, I agree that he should hang back and make his move late, ala TDB, MA, PR etc.

MR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, I think you can also count the 1996 Van Lierde win as "racing from the front" We was one of the first out of the water, came off the bike with Hellriegel, sat in the sin bin and then ran Mr. Hellriegel down. Poor Hellriegel. The guy runs 2:46.xx and loses. Its gotta rank up there with Dave Scott running 2:42 in 89 and not beating Allen.

Speaking of Mr. Lessing, Reid and Van Lierde, if you guys recall, a decade ago in 1995, the ITU Long Course World's Podium was Lessing-Van Lierde-Reid. Something tells me that Mr. Lessing can hold his own with the best guys at Kona.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: My annual wishful thinking post: Dave Scott in Kona? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev

Good memory! I was thinking more in terms of going off the front from the bike and running on their own to the finish, but I can see what you mean - LVL was one unreal athlete.

MR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do Kona winners get a lifetime exemption for qualifying? What are the different exemptions (top 10 pros get next year, AG winners, do the top 3 get like 5 years, or is it just the champ)?
Quote Reply

Prev Next