Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course the issue with nonsense rules like this is that they can be used offensively against targeted people. I'm not implying that's what happened here, but officials in a sport as marginal as triathlon can be bought, or more likely just help out their friends. It's sort of like the old adage "we'll make everything illegal, then only arrest the people we want".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the course that day. I ran about 3 hours slower than Matt Sharpe. Around mile 11.5 I saw two guys running the other way (I think it's mile 9 and change) they were completely shirtless. I have been doing this for 10 years and this is the first time I can remember seeing this. I wonder if they were disqualified.

When I got near the finish about mile 13 a volunteer was standing there telling everyone to zip up. My zipper was above the chest strap but I zipped up the rest of the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcfan40 wrote:
When I got near the finish about mile 13 a volunteer was standing there telling everyone to zip up. My zipper was above the

Zipper Police has to be pretty low on the volunteer jobs status list. Stand there and get eye-rolled at for like 4 hours. :) But still above Porta-potty Toilet Paper Replenisher.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I canā€™t help but remember LA at Superfrog Tri racing in Speedoā€™sā€¦
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every professional sport has attire rules and while they may be a PITA they will continue to exist. And in this case itā€™s mostly entirely about the advertising and sponsorsā€¦ and frankly thatā€™s OK.

I wonder how many of the people who are outraged by the rule as also outraged by the cost of races. Would you prefer these races lose the marketing and sponsor revenue and push those costs onto the athletes by raising prices even more? Seems a small price to pay to have your suit zipped up at the finish line.

Definitely sucks for MS that he wasnā€™t aware of the rule. Hope he gets another win soon to wash that bad taste out.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 1000%.

Can't have a rule like this & apply it here & there. That's the problem with the rule. If it was enforced with an iron fist, there would have been a quick learning curve in pro fields. The problem is that it isn't and now an athlete trying to cut it in a sport without a ton of prize money lost out on a paycheck. I don't get any arguments blaming the athlete. Yes, he even admitted that he knows the rule exists. But if it was enforced consistently, he would know to follow it.

WTCS has the rule in place for photo ops & every single kit is designed with a back zipper that you don't have to worry about when you cross the finish. Long course kits aren't made with back zippers. Makes no sense for IM to follow this rule. & IM could get rid of or amend this rule tomorrow. There's nothing stopping them from taking action.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
World Triathlon has a similar rule specifically for middle and long course, with similar penalties.

IRONMAN has stated they want more alignment with the WT rulebook (hence the new shoe rules this year).

They're not going to get rid of it.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Men can go Haley Chura mode and wear a "bro" if they so choose to, you're just also required to fully unzip the top and bring it down to your waist..

Duds should so do this just to show how stupid the rule is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skid777 wrote:
I can't even describe how this shit infuriates me. For the record, I'd barely even heard of Matt Sharpe before this occurred, so I couldn't care less who won or placed in the race - it's not about that. This is just such a black eye on our sport and it makes me irate.

I've told this story many times, I think on ST as well. I called Jordan to talk about it when it happened as he was our pro Liaison at the time and he encouraged me to pursue although the eggs would never be unscrambled. This is abridged version, much more egregious full story

- I did the inaugural Challenge Atlantic City iron distance race. The winner got the trip to Bahrain and was sizeable prize purse. Inaugural races have their problems as kinks aren't worked out

- I was in second off the bike and had a lead biker.

- I was eventually passed and fell to third and the lead biker went with that second place guy.

- I later passed the original leader off the bike to go back into second and I picked up that lead biker again

- We were at the far end of the course, extremely crowded narrow boardwalk, not the wide boardwalk section on the main strip, only enough room for really 4 people shoulder to shoulder. Nobody (general beachgoes/tourists) knew a race was going on.

- I was literally just trying to run around people on the boardwalk

- I was pulled over by an age-group ref on a bike after about 90 seconds of picking back up this lead biker, who wasn't wearing a helmet may I add (the ref I am referring to), and given a 5 minute standpoint penalty for outside assistance by an age-group official, the pro head ref were literally already on
a plane back to Alabama. Apparently I was too close to the lead biker for 15 seconds. This was at mile 16 of the run. By the time she got off her bike, pulled her phone out, fumbled on keypad a few times ended up being like 6 minutes.

- I'll add this only bit of color. This ref was biking besides me leading up to the penalty. Like riding besides me so much that I remember seeing her butt-crack hanging out. I had no idea she was a ref. I spent so much energy just focusing on her as she was putting me in a dangerous position as a racer and didn't want to get run over, run into her. There were not supposed to be bikes at this part of the course, all bikes were supposed to be stopped by the police.

- I went to this race alone like many races. The winner who won that day had his girlfriend/wife literally all over the course giving him splits, which is legal if they stay stationary, but I just use it to speak to things we focus on and not other things.

- I talked to the head official after the race, there was no apologies given, in fact I was the one that had to give an apology in the end for even bringing it up. The head official was selling her tech company the following week for like ~2 million. I can't remember the exact amount, but the fact that she was talking to me about this just showed how tone-deaf she was. I would later find out she was notorious for giving out and upholding stupid penalties. Just talking about it makes me really want to follow thru with it back in the day but sadly I didn't have the energy. I just wanted to move on, I guess sort of like a victim in other things.

I almost quit triathlon that day, it caused severe trauma that followed me for a good 2 years and still probably affects me to this day. This isn't the only issue I had in my career with refs. Watching Jan this weekend not have to serve some sort of penalty or stuff his swimskin in his jersey is triggering. There are other stories out there of egregious violations.

I haven't followed Zippergate as much as maybe I should but rules need to be applied consistently. That is the 100% the most important thing. We would always discuss things in pro meetings as a group and racers understood what is and isn't going to get called. For example in drafting, you aren't going to get a penalty in the past if you rolled into the draft zone at the bottom of hill into an uphill. Refs know it might not be 12 meters there, or heading into a tight turn for instance. They didn't seem to care when the sport was on the up and up, not sure they have the manpower now on the down and down to properly correct these things.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few have, usually when it was the whole "no zipper below some point on the sternum."

But look. This isn't 'Nam. This is triathlon. There are rules. Mark it zero, Smoky. Next race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This rule applies to AGers as well? Thatā€™s utterly insane if so.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm one of those people who don't want to see big beer guts and hairy chest hanging out in the public for God's sake. That really disgusts me, so I actually like this rule. If rules applies to everyone and everyone race under same condition. I'm perfectly fine with that. I've known him before Waco 70.3 last year and I've been following him on Instagram as well. He said he learned his lesson, and moves on. If you want to change the rule, protest, write a letter and do something. If not, well, we have no choice but follow. But please keep the zip up rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the permanent wearer of a Better Sweater / inheritor of the title of "Hairiest Chest in Triathlon" from one Jesse Thomas, I take offense with your post. LET THE HAIR FLY.

To Lagoon, yes, it's applicable to age groupers. There was an official on the run at Lake Placid reminding folks that they needed to keep the zipper attached at the bottom. People complied without much of an argument.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xath10 wrote:
I canā€™t help but remember LA at Superfrog Tri racing in Speedoā€™sā€¦

LA is very unprofessional. :)

I do miss that race, and will never forgive IM for undermining it, then killing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas -

I'd say I get it, but I don't think I really can as I've never done this for a living and never had a race win or place taken away from me for a stupid penalty. But I kind of do. This shit still gets me pissed just as an athlete in the sport. And when I read about ZipperGate it got me thinking about another one of these idiot calls and it got me all fired up and pissed off as hell about it the last week or so and this one happened almost 15 years ago.

We're hijacking this off onto all sorts of tangents, but fuck it this my thread anyway, so I'm entitled! I'm guessing being from the midwest and this was during your prime you probably recall it. I'm guessing it was somewhere circa 2010 - Daniel Bretcsher, an up and coming pro from Indiana had what was apparently his first decent pro win - the old Muncie Endurathon which is now Indiana 70.3 I believe. He wasn't DQ'd, but lost the win due to a 4 minute penalty for having his equipment out of his assigned slot in the transition area. Pics of it showed his running shoes were about 6 inches into the slot next to his when he started. The kicker though, was that slot was empty - the pro assigned to it was a no-show that day, and that was known by all well before the start. His shoes were still 3 feet or whatever away from the next slot that was actually being used, and nowhere near in his way. But some ref decided to take the win from him. I recall he classily issued a big apology on social media (as you said you had to in your case) and I was just so pissed that he did, as I'm sure he must have been beyond infuriated about it as you were, (and in my opinion rightfully so) but that's what you have to do to be a good little soldier so your sponsors and all the high-minded folks on Slowtwitch won't tear you a new one even though you were the one who got fucked in the ass.

The part of it to me on this one and what infuriated me even more (and as you can tell still does to this day) is that if you look at the transition area in most any USAT tri anywhere after the race, tell me how many people don't have some bit of clothing or equipment they threw off that isn't six inches out of their slot? I'm guessing they could penalize 80% of people at every race if they wanted to be pricks about it. Nah, they won't do that, but we'll just ding the pro for one end of his shoe being in a slot that wasn't even in use that day.

I love this sport, but shit like this is still incomprehensible to me after all these years.
Last edited by: skid777: Aug 9, 23 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should we require everyone to cover up on the beach and during the swim too or will you be content to ignore the beer guts and hairy chests during that part of the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [fcorrao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fcorrao wrote:
Should we require everyone to cover up on the beach and during the swim too or will you be content to ignore the beer guts and hairy chests during that part of the race?

I can move or leave if I feel uncomfortable on the beach. During the race, I wish I could but it's hard for me to do, so please cover up yourself for other people. Having stinky and sweat people around me is already enough. Let's not add more to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Why are you "infuriated?"

The rule is in place so that our sport has more of a professional appearance. Similar rules apply in most sports to some degree. We can agree or disagree, but it is pretty well known. I guess that is why NBA players, etc, need to keep their shirts on too.

lol professional appearance? We have some of the most stupid looks on athletes in the world. You can race in a bikini bottom, but God forbid an unzipped top. Just let everyone race.
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your response is kind of funny. He asked why this rule is in place. I answered. I really gave no commentary.

ā€œInfuriationā€ is an extreme emotional feeling. I feel pretty bad for somebody who is infuriated over something like this. My goodness, how does he handle ordinary life?

I, too, raced back in the days when we only wore speedoā€˜s. In fact I started before the OP. However, at that time, races that had any sort of media coverage required the torso to be covered. Basically the only ones at that time were the Hawaii Ironman and the race in Nice.

Really, the issue isnā€™t whether you like it or not, the issue is whether someone follows the rule. As example regarding Jan Frodeno was ridiculous. There are plenty of examples like that.

The thing I do not know, and have not seen, or photos of this incident. Perhaps a bad referee. There are plenty of them. I am perhaps the only one who is ever successfully handled a case because of a bad triathlon referee. So I understand.

I guess I miss your point :-)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Aug 9, 23 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is it is a dumb rule, enforced erratically and the athlete in question wasn't warned. Should the athlete have been aware and is he responsible? Yes.

I started racing in speedos too. The sport has always looked ridiculous. Let people have fun and race. Or, the very least, enforce rules consistently. Give warnings.

This is still on the athlete in the end, but wow its dumb.

Edit: Also, probably shouldn't have responded to your post as my first post was more general commentary.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Aug 9, 23 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - I have to say of all the people disagreeing with me to varying degrees on this thread, your take has to be the most bizarre of all. Just as you say you can get up and move if you don't like the view on the beach, you certainly can make the choice not to participate or watch a triathlon. It is a niche sport and unless you sought it out you could probably go your entire life without ever being exposed to one. No disrespect, but if having to see men of all shapes, sizes, and hirsuteness sweating in scant outfits, zippered or not, is offensive to you, you probably should find yourself a different hobby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
To Lagoon, yes, it's applicable to age groupers. There was an official on the run at Lake Placid reminding folks that they needed to keep the zipper attached at the bottom. People complied without much of an argument.
Interesting. What does a DQ mean for an AGer? I imagine you can't get a Kona slot, but that doesn't matter to 99% of participants. Do they pull you off the course? Do you not get official times? Do you not get to take home your medal?
Quote Reply
Re: Matthew Sharpe and "ZipperGate" [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got DQā€™d as an age grouper in Oside for speeding on my bikeā€¦.

Still got a medal, hat, food and celebrated the race and just saw about an hour later I was removed from the tracker. It really didnā€™t matter to me at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the rule came around during times (mid/late 2000s), when menĀ“s triathlon tops were in the shape of what Faris is wearing below.
I have seen races where this type of top was fully unzipped, exposing the whole torso of the athlete (though I do not recall ever seeing Faris doing this, so apologies for using his photo as example here)

I have seen athletes in Ironman races getting penalties for dropping their top all together, which in some way (IMO) is only fair. All competitors needs to run under the same conditions/rules.

On the ref who DQed Sharpe, I hope he learned a lesson. We all make mistakes. I once myself had an (unjustified) DQ during Ironman Zurich, from a ref who did not know the rules. Took a KQ from me. Bummer - but life moves on :)

Faris looks great here anyway, right? Sorta miss Faris!

Last edited by: Mulen: Aug 10, 23 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skid777 wrote:
This is just such a black eye on our sport and it makes me irate.

I agree with that sentiment, anyone looking from the outside in would probably find a DQ very harsh, especially for a Pro who's livelihood depends on results. The one thing that does not seem to have been carried out consistently by the race officials is application of the rule. Race after race we see that officials turn a blind eye to it. Matt just seems to be the first one to suffer now there is a clamp down. Going forward I just hope the rules are applied evenly throughout the races - even the stupid ones.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply

Prev Next