Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [sol-rosenberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sol-rosenberg wrote:
Well, maybe not. I might just say f*ck Ironman.
It's astonishing to me that more people haven't done this already. They've squashed local races all over the country, they underpay the pros, don't give a fuck about AGers, and don't seem to want to deliver a good product. I guess when you have a monopoly you can do what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Vertebrae6395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. Not sure I'll ever do another. My last was in 2019 only for redemption. In 2016 I did the same race and walked off the course with about 5 miles to go because I didn't want to be a part of "it" anymore. Regretted that decision. Went back a few years later to check the box. Didn't want my last race to be a DNF for silly reasons.

================
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since many have already paid for air fare and accommodations, which may or may not be refundable, I see a lawsuit brewing.

Jim Lukanich
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Vertebrae6395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vertebrae6395 wrote:
sol-rosenberg wrote:

It's astonishing to me that more people haven't done this already. They've squashed local races all over the country, they underpay the pros, don't give a fuck about AGers, and don't seem to want to deliver a good product. I guess when you have a monopoly you can do what you want.

Because people are sheep and brain washed to the Ironman organization and their McDonald running of every race being identical.

I do however agree that people should support their local races. Sure do a few Ironman's. But local is where it's at. If you don't support local events, they will disappear and never return.

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [littlepete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but local race tattoos aren't cool.

================
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [jlukanich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
absolute-a-mundo

================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Allen just announced he is coming out of retirement to capture his 11th Nice and seventh Ironman World Title.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hope this is not true
ALOT of People do this sport for KONA not to do IRONMAN world champs in NICE
Reduce the field size of KONA and keep its aura/ magic.
I don't get why they have to change history
The Tour de France in Australia would be very very different , Just like changing Challenge Roth to St George - its not the same. Im hoping this is a big time rumour. Does anyone know if this could be slightly untrue?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kailua-Kona Total Landscaping, located in Nice, France
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
If true, not the worse idea in the world

(no one want to race in a place where we are not welcome... and Kona is WAY overpriced)

I agree. And I'm not saying it's a bad idea, incorporating another destination, but this will affect the number of people wanting to go to the WC. As I said in a previous thread, it will end up like the 70.3 WC. If Kona is not an option and the WC is a million miles away people simply won't go. For any 70.3s WCs that are in the US or Europe, pretty much anyone in Australia can go, spots will roll down past 50. I don't think it will be that bad for an Ironman WC, but you certainly won't get roll downs where pretty much everyone takes their spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sol-rosenberg wrote:

You can still get your MDOT tattoo when its your year to do Kona. You could also get a McDonalds tattoo at the same time. Maybe a Pepsi one as a bonus. Tesla? Ford? the list is endless for those wanting a corporate logo on them

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. It will decrease the # of people wanting to go for each gender in the years it’s not in Kona. And then the year it is in Kona I imagine qualifying races will be increasingly stacked (mostly affects men given all the women for tri spots now). People will turn their focus on the Kona year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My post should have been in pink. Sorry.

================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Per Tri-Today

The Ironman World Championship is moving to another location: Nice, France. At least a part of it, because starting next season, the Ironman World Championship will be held in two separate locations each year. In 2023, the men, both pros and AG, will race in Nice on Sept. 10, while the women will compete for world titles in Kona in October. A year later, in 2024, roles will be reversed and women will come to Nice, while all the men race at Kona. For at least the next few years, the men’s and women’s races will be separate and will continue to rotate between two different venues.

I appreciate it’s a small number of affected people, but what about those men planning to do Lahti and Kona next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [CaliB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly how I feel. I left IM specifically due to the crappy courses here in the US and the Kona centric view. Racing in Nice or many other great locations really excites me.

And for people who think Nice is expensive, they are just bad at travel planning, as there are tons of good to great options all along the coast that can support the race at decent prices.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious who at Ironman decided it was a good idea to start handing out slots for two days of racing in Kona next year without a *firm* commitment from Kona to support that? And does this person still have a job?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
If true can we go back and give Mark Allen 16 world titles? 10 in Nice and 6 in Kona.

The 80's debate has come full circle....

Let's make that 17. Add 1989 ITU Worlds in Avignon. That year he won, Nice + Avignon + Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sol-rosenberg wrote:

No, you won't, just like most others won't. Fact is, WTC races are still the best, even if you don't like their business decisions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sol-rosenberg wrote:
While I don't have a problem with IMWC not being in Kona, I will not be impacted by this decision.

Now imagine you and your partner just raced IMAZ (or IMCoz) last weekend and both qualified for IMWC in 2023 assuming it would be in Kona in at least the same week. You plop down $1400 plus fees per person looking forward to that event to secure your spot. Nary a week later you find out that one of you will be racing in Kona one month and one of you will be racing on another continent in the following month. You planned and budgeted for one trip to one far-ish location. Now, you are pivoting (perhaps frantically) to book two BIG trips two months in a row and one of you will be doing your peak training while the other is racing.

Yeah, I'd be pissed.

I think the scenario of a husband wife both qualifying in the same year and getting pissed off is worth the upside of countless athletes from Europe who would love to have an Ironman worlds in Europe and certainly in Nice. From the east coast of North America, Nice is faster to get to too. It is only an 8-9 hrs to some place like Frankfurt and 1.5 hrs connector. Going east coast to Kona, you have 6 hrs getting across north America and then 5-6 hrs more to get to Kona.

I can see from Japan, North America West Coast, South America and NZ/Aus, Kona is closer, but for most of the rest of the world, largely Europe is actually in the middle of the world (like GMT or not, that's the way it is).

This is a great move for Ironman. Nice is fabulous in a different way from Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was single and looking to date a triathlete, I know where I would be come October 2023.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sol-rosenberg wrote:
While I don't have a problem with IMWC not being in Kona, I will not be impacted by this decision.

Now imagine you and your partner just raced IMAZ (or IMCoz) last weekend and both qualified for IMWC in 2023 assuming it would be in Kona in at least the same week. You plop down $1400 plus fees per person looking forward to that event to secure your spot. Nary a week later you find out that one of you will be racing in Kona one month and one of you will be racing on another continent in the following month. You planned and budgeted for one trip to one far-ish location. Now, you are pivoting (perhaps frantically) to book two BIG trips two months in a row and one of you will be doing your peak training while the other is racing.

Yeah, I'd be pissed.

I think the scenario of a husband wife both qualifying in the same year and getting pissed off is worth the upside of countless athletes from Europe who would love to have an Ironman worlds in Europe and certainly in Nice. From the east coast of North America, Nice is faster to get to too. It is only an 8-9 hrs to some place like Frankfurt and 1.5 hrs connector. Going east coast to Kona, you have 6 hrs getting across north America and then 5-6 hrs more to get to Kona.

I can see from Japan, North America West Coast, South America and NZ/Aus, Kona is closer, but for most of the rest of the world, largely Europe is actually in the middle of the world (like GMT or not, that's the way it is).

This is a great move for Ironman. Nice is fabulous in a different way from Kona.

What is a great move for Ironman? They haven’t announced anything. At this point, this nonsense is no more than a rumor.

I find it very difficult to believe they would change course on Kona after already awarding so many slots, but maybe I am wrong. We will see. I know it would change my racing plans for 2023…..France is fine…I’ve been fortunate to spend some time there, but it isn’t Kona. I have no desire to do a World Championship there and my family has no interest in visiting either.

But, that’s me…..
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Timjr21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The longer Ironman waits to respond publicly, the more true this rumor becomes.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlepete wrote:
sol-rosenberg wrote:

You can still get your MDOT tattoo when its your year to do Kona. You could also get a McDonalds tattoo at the same time. Maybe a Pepsi one as a bonus. Tesla? Ford? the list is endless for those wanting a corporate logo on them

True

When I did my first sprint distance I got the Sprint logo tattoo

Then I did an Olympic distance and got the Olympic rings tattoo
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People don’t get it. It’s not Ironman.

KONA SAID NO!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next