Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but you're a tool if you get a tattoo after completing a race. Do Jan and Daniela have IM tatts?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not, but how many Olympians do? Maybe a handful of NFL/MLB/NHL/ etc. players too.

Move on. Keep training. Be an adult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Sorry, but you're a tool if you get a tattoo after completing a race. Do Jan and Daniela have IM tatts?

Prison tats with a needle and thread? Possibly

ETA - love where you guys are taking the thread.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 6, 21 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [kobayashi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kobayashi wrote:
Ironman world champs "super" announcement tomorrow. Any ideas what this could be?

https://www.facebook.com/...deos/511265949864321

This came up when I typed "new-iron-man-series-title-sponsor":

https://speedsport.com/...eries-title-sponsor/

Reading the name, my first thought was: 'Neat, the Oil Industry is getting into the supplement business."

But good to know that Goggle has figured out how little I care about ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Omelette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omelette wrote:
Probably not, but how many Olympians do?

Quite a few.
Also - The branding (literal branding) for the winners of the 'official' WC Fatbike championships.
(If you haven't seen it... go look it up)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
... Just because North Americans aren't aware of every random occurrence around the world, does not mean we're ignorant ...

Rightly or wrongly, that is exactly how the population of the USA is regarded by the rest of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [TSTriATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TSTriATX wrote:
Yikes. Clickbait much, Ironman?

LOL, this reminds me of a "big announcement pending" pushed by the local (Polish) Ironman licencee. It's like they have a procedure for publicising non-events.

I literally can't remember what it was, but it was 100% "meh". Maybe an internationally-known athlete joining the PRO field or something.

It's funny, because they sometimes do have a big announcement to make, like the first local Ironman race after several years of 70.3s and 5150s.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Apr 7, 21 0:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:

Lucy Charles-Barclay has one, and she's sure she's the only pro that does, lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, the product is ridiculous. It's an app+sensor that lets you monitor your blood glucose.

My first thought: ah, it's good, they're trying to help diabetics.

Nah! Not for medical use.

The idea is you pay $140 a month and know when to eat and what to eat so that you beat your competition in the quest for the top 100 in your age group, or whatever.

I guess it's better than when Ironman was promoting the use of a non-steroid anti-inflammation drug to reduce training and racing pain (and, in addition to massively increasing injury risk, also risk needing a kidney transplant).

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Apr 7, 21 0:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given title sponsor turnover since the Ford days and the current situation; it will be interesting to see if they ultimately get their name above the finish line at least once.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
New title sponsor.

OMGGGG!!!!! haha

Late to this. But that's just awesome.

"Remember to drink your Ovaltine!"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
My first thought: ah, it's good, they're trying to help diabetics.

Nah! Not for medical use.

We (diabetics) have had this sensor for a while. And at least where I'm at, insurance pays for it ;-)
SuperSapiens is just trying to cash in on that same tech with a much larger potential client base.

Not sure how useful it will be for non-diabetics.
Ironically, I find mine quite inaccurate especially in one specific setting: during exercise...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
was that it? just a new sponsor? i just thought that was a yearly thing at this point!

its the triathlon version of April Fools Day

IM. press release about a huge announcement about Kona
Triathletes: this is huge, its gonna be 2 days, its gonna move around
IM. we'd like to introduce the new title sponsor
Triathletes: Are you kidding me, that's it, come on

Every year someone falls for it

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not even a fan of IM and I was disappointed :(

The two day thing would have been my guess. A competitor day and an open day. More money for IM, More people's dreams coming true, it's a win for IM and a win for athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
bretzky wrote:

Prison tats with a needle and thread? Possibly

With ink stolen from the pens at the sign-in desk

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

The two day thing would have been my guess. A competitor day and an open day. More money for IM, More people's dreams coming true, it's a win for IM and a win for athletes.

The residents of the island would never go for it.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Hasn't that horse been beat to death on this forum? I.e., it works for 70.3 but not IM. The reasons have been given again and again. IMWC is more likely to move to a new venue then ever to go to a 2 day format.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Omelette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But reaching the Olympics is one of the most difficult feats in sports. It's an elite group of athletes that devote their life to being the best in the world. Finishing an ironman is reserved for anyone with $600 to spend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
We (diabetics) have had this sensor for a while. And at least where I'm at, insurance pays for it ;-)
SuperSapiens is just trying to cash in on that same tech with a much larger potential client base.

Ironically, I find mine quite inaccurate especially in one specific setting: during exercise...

My daughter is living with T1D and used something similar in the past before moving to a Dexcomm.

My immediate reaction is that they developed this tech for diabetics, and now they're trying to see what other markets they can tap into (i.e "Soooo......what else can we use this for? Astronauts? Athletes? Soliders?". I don't see how it can be worth it, those test strips are so expensive that they're frequently stolen in pharmacy break-ins since they're so easy to sell.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my money was on IM reminding us how difficult things are and therefore you won't be getting a refund of your entry fees...ever...

keep training...lol..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
flogazo wrote:

My daughter is living with T1D and used something similar in the past before moving to a Dexcomm.

My immediate reaction is that they developed this tech for diabetics, and now they're trying to see what other markets they can tap into (i.e "Soooo......what else can we use this for? Astronauts? Athletes? Soliders?". I don't see how it can be worth it, those test strips are so expensive that they're frequently stolen in pharmacy break-ins since they're so easy to sell.

AFAIK, this requires a prescription and medical supervision.
Not that this would keep healthy people from using it without supervision and then fainting from low BG at an unfortunate time.
All just because they want to lose a few pounds and don’t take in enough food. Even with the app/device functioning properly.
Oh well, they got the lawyers to feed.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [stevesimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevesimpson wrote:
But reaching the Olympics is one of the most difficult feats in sports. It's an elite group of athletes that devote their life to being the best in the world. Finishing an ironman is reserved for anyone with $600 to spend.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
stevesimpson wrote:

He looks like quite a few IM ‘competitors‘ I have seen.
But other then them, he is elite in his chosen sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That guy probably trains more than we do. It's just not cardio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
stevesimpson wrote:

Imagine how many years it must have taken him to grow that awesome beard!
Quote Reply

Prev Next