Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman World Championship Announcement
Quote | Reply
Ironman world champs "super" announcement tomorrow. Any ideas what this could be?

https://www.facebook.com/...deos/511265949864321
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [kobayashi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're going to split it over 2 days like to 70.3 world champs.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking that as well, but it would definitely disrupt a lot of people’s travel/accommodation plans if they had planned to leave on the 10th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moving to February?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They want to make Slowtwitch happy and will move it around the world. Yes, that is in pink😂

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kobayashi wrote:
Ironman world champs "super" announcement tomorrow. Any ideas what this could be?

Just a guess, but I wonder if it has to do with changes to qualifying. I haven’t followed it that closely, but ultimately they have to have the right number of people qualified. With most of last year cancelled and races being cancelled this year, I’m thinking they may need to make some changes to get the right number of people in Kona.

Having said that, it still seems too early to make any concrete decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just can't imagine how any news would be "super" at this point. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
They're going to split it over 2 days like to 70.3 world champs.

The locals would LOVE this. HA!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kobayashi wrote:
I just can't imagine how any news would be "super" at this point. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Good news would be no press conference. If there is something to cover, in this day and age, it does not seem like there can be anything positive to cover now. I hope I am wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
kobayashi wrote:

Just a guess, but I wonder if it has to do with changes to qualifying. I haven’t followed it that closely, but ultimately they have to have the right number of people qualified. With most of last year cancelled and races being cancelled this year, I’m thinking they may need to make some changes to get the right number of people in Kona.

My feeling would be 60-75 spots at all remaining races in order to get numbers up.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going split race. Clever move: get it established as a ‘socially distanced’ necessity limit 1000 on each day then gradually increase over time to the ‘dream’ of 2000+ on each day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Thom wrote:
kobayashi wrote:

My feeling would be 60-75 spots at all remaining races in order to get numbers up.

Maurice

Building on this a little bit, at the age group level, I don't expect many Europeans to be present in Kona simply because quite a few IM races in Europe through June have already been postponed until later this year or next. If the cut-off date is sometime in August, that doesn't leave many opportunities....and that assumes that races in July and August actually take place. On the other hand, races in the US and elsewhere are happening and people are starting to qualify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved permanently to the United Arab Emirates or Bahrain?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Moved permanently to the United Arab Emirates or Bahrain?

* other oil rich oppressive regimes are available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kobayashi wrote:

i assume it'll be something about sports.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
I’m going split race. Clever move: get it established as a ‘socially distanced’ necessity limit 1000 on each day then gradually increase over time to the ‘dream’ of 2000+ on each day.

How is this handled in 70.3 I assume a lot more men than women race the WC? WOuld you have some male ag on one day and some on another, would not be good to get an overall winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only guess is that it is -not- about splitting the race into two days.

Through all of this pandemic crap, not once have I heard any local government / health authority say "Oh, we can't allow a 3000 person event, if only you could cut it to 1500 people".............
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

How is this handled in 70.3 I assume a lot more men than women race the WC? WOuld you have some male ag on one day and some on another, would not be good to get an overall winner.

You could easily do the older men’s AGs, as part of day2 with all the women. The men’s overall ag winner is not likely to come from, say, the 50+ crowd.

They could also have day1 as the race for qualifiers, and day2 as an open signup race. Doubt they’ll do this, even though it’s the obvious way to maximize $$$$.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That it will happen this year.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New official sock sponsor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubt there will be enough participants to split them into 2 days.
Australians/Kiwis locked out, most Europeans and people from countries with mandatory visa too. 5 months until September, and I don't see any upcoming changes in international travel.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Texas 9th Oct will become the World Championships split over two days, 2500 per day...... Republican state and everything opening so pretty much good to go

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickMa wrote:
Australians/Kiwis locked out, most Europeans and people from countries with mandatory visa too. 5 months until September, and I don't see any upcoming changes in international travel.
Remember the Americans and Canadians have a "World Series" without any other countries participating and the Super Bowl winners are apparently "World Champions" so loading two days worth of Yank age groupers from the Legacy backlog,the 2020 deferrals and 2021 qualifiers would be USA podium glory of legendary proportions. Luckily the international professionals can still travel to resume their usual place atop the Ironman World Championship podiums.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman World Championship Announcement [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
NickMa wrote:

Remember the Americans and Canadians have a "World Series" without any other countries participating and the Super Bowl winners are apparently "World Champions" so loading two days worth of Yank age groupers from the Legacy backlog,the 2020 deferrals and 2021 qualifiers would be USA podium glory of legendary proportions. Luckily the international professionals can still travel to resume their usual place atop the Ironman World Championship podiums.

Are all your posts on this forum about how much you hate North America?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any ideas what this could be?
---

IM Kona will be run by the PTO!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next