Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [triryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can not wait for Frankfurt, as the race is in 2 weeks, i would really appreciate if you could get this soon?

Let me know if i can help with whatever format in starting list you need, pretty proficient in excel if you need it on certain format.

Cheers, thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw they have a participant list now, so I created a psych sheet for it here: 2019 Ironman Florida Psych Sheet
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [onder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would create one if it were straightforward. I try to match people on name, age, and country. I've had to remove the country constraint for some due to it not being available. I haven't updated things to look at an age group rather than a specific age. It is something I want to do as a lot of the final start lists drop the age information. I just need to find the time to make the appropriate changes to make it more flexible but not sure I'll get to it before your race.

onder wrote:
I can not wait for Frankfurt, as the race is in 2 weeks, i would really appreciate if you could get this soon?

Let me know if i can help with whatever format in starting list you need, pretty proficient in excel if you need it on certain format.

Cheers, thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great work you are doing. The majority seem to be US races though (timing, interest?). Any chance of doing one for IMUK?

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:
I saw they have a participant list now, so I created a psych sheet for it here: 2019 Ironman Florida Psych Sheet

Thanks! Awesome to see we've got the highest athlete to KQ ratio haha. Also notice at least one pro name on there in the 35-39 AG. Probably because I don't think the pro start list is out yet. Really appreciate it though. Lot of work to be done haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:

Thank you for doing this; you get my donation again this for this...... FL one I dont quite understand how a ex pro and a guy with USAT score in high 90's get pushed to 17th and 18th in rankings and 1st never has had significant results (m40-44). Guess thats how they fell in the algorithm? Normally they have seemed to be mostly spot on.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I double checked, and it is working as expected. The rankings are meant to be directional rather than exact. For the people you mentioned, 1st is ranked that way because they are the only one with a top 5 IM finish in the last 2 years. 18th is ranked further down due to USAT rankings taking less precedence (not everyone in the world will have one). I count All American status for slightly more, but otherwise USAT score only comes into play after anyone with a top 20 IM in the last 5 years or a top 10 HIM in the last 5 years. One project I want to do is back test a lot of the results to see if my thresholds for top X finish in Y year for race distance Z can be improved or customized by division.

Toothengineer wrote:
triryan wrote:

Thank you for doing this; you get my donation again this for this...... FL one I dont quite understand how a ex pro and a guy with USAT score in high 90's get pushed to 17th and 18th in rankings and 1st never has had significant results (m40-44). Guess thats how they fell in the algorithm? Normally they have seemed to be mostly spot on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, he is listed on the normal start list http://www.ironman.com/...da%205%2020%2019.pdf so that is why he's included.

rjrankin wrote:
triryan wrote:

Thanks! Awesome to see we've got the highest athlete to KQ ratio haha. Also notice at least one pro name on there in the 35-39 AG. Probably because I don't think the pro start list is out yet. Really appreciate it though. Lot of work to be done haha
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - just time right now. I did the first one last year (IM Santa Rosa) for my own interests. The US races seem to be pretty standardized in terms of the data provided (i.e. last name, first name, gender, age, country line by line), so it is easy for me to parse those other races. When it deviates from this (no exact age, region instead of country, or data spanning multiple lines in a pdf), it isn't straightforward with what I have. I could match athletes on name only, but then I might be crediting one athlete with another athlete's results. I tried to do an analysis on IM and HIM from 2014-2018 and found:

There were 398,727 unique athlete names.
There were 25,023 names with more than one country.
There were 82,344 names with more than one division. (some of these would be people aging up)
There were 90,795 names with more than one country+division.
carlos martinez appeared in 10 countries.

PrimalSteve wrote:
This is great work you are doing. The majority seem to be US races though (timing, interest?). Any chance of doing one for IMUK?

Last edited by: triryan: Jun 18, 19 21:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting it did not pull up my 5th place in 2017 at IMTX; so must be slightly off or something not pulling up right? Never to take anything away from way you do this since your the only way that does it... but not all placing are equal. Lets look at IMTX which at least to me always seem to have the most prev KQ'ers racing in it and is harder to place top 5 then other races. This list at certain spots does not seem to past the eyeball test. Ivan Dominguez is the clear cut favorite of m40-44. I would be awesome if you could run back end numbers to see how how the predictions pan out by a % or something. Once again thanks for doing what you do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem! I had a deeper look into what you are doing and realised that you are pulling data from USATF data which might cover a lot of the North American race entrants but is likely less of the overall field for IMUK anyway!

Keep up the good work!

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for mentioning the missing result. There was a bug in some new code when the athlete DNS'd/DNF'd in a particular year, which I've fixed. The sheet has been updated, and you are now #1 in M40-44 :)

I don't have the stats on accuracy, but spot checking, the podium finishers are normally near the top of the sheet. Where it misses is if someone wasn't on one of the participant lists but then ends up on the final start list.

For Ivan, it looks like he has raced as Pro, so when I look at if that name has been in M40-44, or M35-39 the last 5 years, it doesn't return any results. So Pro converting to Age Group is an edge case not covered right now.

Agree that some races are more difficult to place higher in than others and it's something I can look at in the future. For now, the algorithm is the same for all divisions and is meant to be directional (and works because there is normally a wide variety of ability in a race). I recognized that when doing the Psych Sheet for Kona last year (most people having placed in the top 5 to qualify)...I created a different algorithm for that one, but it still wasn't as accurate. Thanks for the feedback!

Toothengineer wrote:
Interesting it did not pull up my 5th place in 2017 at IMTX; so must be slightly off or something not pulling up right? Never to take anything away from way you do this since your the only way that does it... but not all placing are equal. Lets look at IMTX which at least to me always seem to have the most prev KQ'ers racing in it and is harder to place top 5 then other races. This list at certain spots does not seem to past the eyeball test. Ivan Dominguez is the clear cut favorite of m40-44. I would be awesome if you could run back end numbers to see how how the predictions pan out by a % or something. Once again thanks for doing what you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah mine is going solely off USAT ranking and not showing the two IM results I have (not a complaint at all). I'd imagine once the pro list comes out Colin and Ivan will come off AG rankings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
Yeah mine is going solely off USAT ranking and not showing the two IM results I have (not a complaint at all). I'd imagine once the pro list comes out Colin and Ivan will come off AG rankings

Oh I got it: all the pros are falling into the ag just on the bib list and he is running off that.... ha I did not even know FL had a pro field! .... I should not have said anything I dont like being bumped to #1 in my AG, so much for flying under the radar.

Last edited by: Toothengineer: Jun 19, 19 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s just my guess because both of them raced in the pro field in Boulder. I’m okay with being as low as I am, not that results would bump me up much higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random question: is there some common sense way to figure out what my approximate ranking would be in your algorithm BEFORE I sign up? Like comparing my IM and HIM finishes and or my USAT ranking to the competition. For example I was considering entering IM MD after a disastrous Cork race and wanted to see if I would even have a shot for the podium in M35-39.

Thanks!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Random question: is there some common sense way to figure out what my approximate ranking would be in your algorithm BEFORE I sign up? Like comparing my IM and HIM finishes and or my USAT ranking to the competition. For example I was considering entering IM MD after a disastrous Cork race and wanted to see if I would even have a shot for the podium in M35-39.

Thanks!

You can't determine if you actually have a shot just by looking at the list?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you do a 70.3WC one?

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just updated the sheet with the June 7 start list. If you were on it, you would be 7th.

sch340 wrote:

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

You can't determine if you actually have a shot just by looking at the list?

A vague notion, yes, but unless I've raced the people on the list before it's tough to tell whether I would be ranked, say, 2nd or 10th based on just USAT scores and previous finish times/places

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks! I'll make another donation

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI I think the AGs are shifted by one tab on the IM MD sheet. So for example the M35-39 folks are actually under the M40-44 tab. Seems to be shifted like this across the board

triryan wrote:
I just updated the sheet with the June 7 start list. If you were on it, you would be 7th.

sch340 wrote:

Thanks!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I fixed it.

sch340 wrote:
FYI I think the AGs are shifted by one tab on the IM MD sheet. So for example the M35-39 folks are actually under the M40-44 tab. Seems to be shifted like this across the board
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM canada released the bib list. any chance you could update IM Canada.
Last edited by: iliketri: Jul 11, 19 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start list is up for IMMT.

Happy to keep paying my annual contribution if they gave you a format you can work with (or if they didn't).

Thanks again for all of these!

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply

Prev Next