Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Last year, I was offered an insane deal on their top end TCR Advanced SL with DA Di2 everything. Seller was a super rich guy with whom I share a mechanic, and he just didn’t care what he got back for it. It was a half size too big for him and he rode it just a couple times.

I had a similar reaction to the brand—kinda like buying a Toyota or Honda.

But the thing is phenomenal. Just flawlessly engineered and perfect for me. I love the bike now, and view the brand as having an almost reverse cache to it—someone riding one of their top end bikes may be more about the quality than whatever the paint on the frame says.

In terms of brand cachet, Giant does as well as Hyaundai. In terms of actual quality, Giant is like Toyota/Lexus.

Except in terms of reality, most of the carbon and aluminum bikes, including those from mass market brands with more cachet (cough cough Specialized) is made by either Giant or Merida. A corresponding comparison would be something like BMW contracting out most of its production to Toyota.

None of this stuff is inherently rational when one digs into it
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is very much a North American view of Giant as a brand. They've never quite "connected" with the consumer here the way Trek and Specialized have as large manufacturers, and certainly smaller brands like Cervelo enjoy more cache. They've done well with the Liv brand, though.

Giant is much more popular in other parts of the world. Great product, it just doesn't seem to produce excitement the way other brands do. I actually think it's still a hangover from the days they were sold at Performance bike shops. Perhaps that was too long ago to have an effect on most people now, but I do know it was a problem then and hasn't gone away.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a huge Giant fan, my TCR and trinity advanced bikes are just amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody hates on Fuji! I love love love mine <3

It all just comes down to what appeals to you.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [PattiPepper65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And me. My Norcom 2.1 is quick and great for long rides. Plus my frugality usually prevails and I couldn’t overlook the value proposition vs comparably spec’d bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right there with you. I would never get a Specialized. No logical reason, but has something to do with the way the name reads on the frame. Just nitpicking but when I am spending that much, it has to be what I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My '18 Trinity Advanced Pro is by far the fastest TT bike I've had. They do have a bit of different ride feel which might take some getting used to. It doesn't feel as stiff as my Felt, but my times on it have been considerably faster on the same local courses at comparable fitness levels. I will say that the rear brakes are PIA. Just changing the damn pads requires a trip to the shop (and even they hate fooling with it). Plus, just leave off the integrated bottle and you have a UCI legal tt bike.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, I could never justify the high price for some of these bikes! I'd hate myself every time I missed a workout or gained a few pounds! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got 2 giants currently- very happy with both. I think they are as high performance as any trek/ specialized if not better. Their marketing/ cache is not as good. Like any brand- they do some things I like and some I dislike; but their value is pretty damn good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought that Giant has a lot of bang for the buck. I have one of their cross bikes and love it. Other bikes I have are from Cervelo(road and tri), Litespeed (road) , Santa Cruz (mtb) and Canyon (road)
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Giant SL0 Pro Advanced Super Tour Carbon whatever-they-call-it. Been riding it most everyday.

Long top tube on the thing, so have a too-short stem right now. Oversize steerer makes the stem a special order.

It's a stout, well built piece of furniture (frame). Almost non-descript.

Initially I have to say it lacked a personality and character in the way it rides. But it does everything well & you'd be nuts to say it's not a great bike.
The previous owner upgraded to E-Tap 11, tubeless, DuraAce brakes which are A++.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was totally unaware that Giant was not a bike snob bike... I own and ride a Giant Propel that I really like. The integrated aero brakes were a PITA until I figured out how to maintain them, I put eTap on it and went tubeless with HED Jet 6+ wheels... also slapped on a carbon 3T Aeronova bars. It's a great bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have a boring image but get their designs right and control their manufacturing themselves. One thing I like about them is they tend to overbuild their carbon frames compared to others and their specs are tight. I've bunnyhopped the snot out of and clattered into potholes many times on both my TCR and Propel with no problem. My team used to have a deal going with them and I've only seen one failure where head tube insert disbonded. Never seen any cracks over a couple dozen riders after lots of crit crashes and general abuse.

I've had a couple of Giant Aluminum frames as well which I hated. My CX frame was way too flexy on the rear and stiff on the front. My HT MTB frame (XTC) was way too stiff overall, great for climbing but horrible descending and over rough ground. I have the carbon version of the XTC now (same year) and it rides beautifully.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [PattiPepper65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PattiPepper65 wrote:
Everybody hates on Fuji! I love love love mine <3

It all just comes down to what appeals to you.

That's a nice looking bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant? Yuck. The thought of swinging your leg over a bike made for the proletariat should make you nauseous. If you insist on buying a factory produced gravel bike, at least get yourself a Pinarello Grevil. Preferably, in a custom paint color (I recommend a bright Gold like Greg Van Avermaet's helmet). It also needs to match your Rapha team kit. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden a Giant Defy for the past two years as my primary bike. I just found an amazing deal on a Cannondale SystemSix and will be selling my Giant. I have enjoyed it and would buy another. And, I do also own an older Cervelo S2 & P2 and Specialized Diverge. All great bikes and each brand has their own group of loyalists.
Last edited by: dhinkle: Sep 11, 20 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant is a manufacturing company first and foremost. They have historically been awful with marketing, and by design in many ways. They have been very careful not to piss off other brands so they can continue to do all their manufacturing, so they can be a bit vanilla and boring. The fact is they make amazing bikes, but they lack the sexy marketing appeal of a specialized. Due to the fact they can have lower prices because they do their own manufacturing, it sends the message in the american market that they are cheap. The reality is you aren't paying the $600-1000 markup other brands have after Giant manufactures their bike. I've had many Giants over the years and they make amazing bikes. It is like they almost invite magazine reviewers to complain about them. It's always "this bike is amazing, I wanted to hate it, but it's amazing. But that paint...so boring, so I'll give it 3 out of 5 stars."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt the exact same way with respect to a Revolt Advanced 0 last summer. I've always been a bit of a bike snob and have ridden boutique-y brands for years (current rides: Ibis, Guerrilla Gravity, Steelman). I wanted a sub $4k gravel bike and rode pretty much everything from Salsa, Santa Cruz, Ibis, etc etc etc. Kept coming back to the Giant. It was equal to the Gucci rides in every respect (except price, where the difference was several hundred bucks, more if you factor in the carbon rims) and better in ride quality (subjective but not nothing). I ignored my snobby heart and went with my rational mind and bought the Giant; couldn't be happier. It's been a troublefree and flawless bike over the past year. And oddly, not a single person has made a disparaging comment about riding a mere Giant (and I don't think anyone has even noticed much less given a single shit about the logo on the downtube). Giant makes world class bikes as good as any from any builder IMO. Excellent dealer support. There is no reason not to buy one, unless your heart can't take the insult.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Last edited by: just jack: Sep 11, 20 14:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Any of you have a brand that just....blah?

Haha my brother owns a Giant shop and I could get cost bikes but I've yet to have ridden one. They are like arseholes here in Australia it seems everyone has one and I like to be different. I know I am being a snob but they do make good bikes especially for the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two Giants, they're awesome. Zero regrets. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

But if you don't mesh with a bike or brand you'll never be happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very normal body size. Average height, stack, reach, torso and limb length. If I wanted a mass produced bicycle brand, any shop would have numerous bikes on the floor that would fit me and I could ride it out the door and then thousands of miles.

I own 4 bicycles built custom for me by two different builders.

Not even sorry about it.
Last edited by: talking head: Sep 11, 20 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the Bissell Team in West Michigan a lot of the fastest local guys are on Giants. The State RR champion rides Giant. I tend to associate bike brands with the local shop that sells them and I've never been a regular at a Giant shop. I just order a 2021 Scott, I've heard that bike is actually built by Giant.

For me, I'll probably never own a Trek or a Specialized. They both make great bikes but I hate they way they try to monopolize their distribution system to sell their non-bike products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Any of you have a brand that just....blah?

The Giant Revolt makes all the financial sense, but it's a Giant. I always thought of them as the next Schwinn. A brand that is one step outside of a Dicks Sporting Goods. I really only need a frame, so wanted to buy a lower spec'd bike, strip it, and put my high end components on it (GRX Di2).

The lowest spec'd Giant is $2000, decent frame color as well. The $150 of the $300 I spent on a fit at my LBS would also be put toward the price of the big. Selling my Diverge Expert bike I may actually have a net $0 cost on this bike. Thus I could buy a pair of wheels and still be the same price as the Warbird.

The lowest spec Salsa Warbird is $750 more and is some light blue color. Not sure what to think of that color.

Geometry wise, the Salsa fits me slightly better (within 1mm of the Giant in terms of reach and stack, so not that big of a deal).

Despite the Giant making sense, I just can't pull the trigger. I've just always had a meh feeling toward Giants. Do I just have a misinformed perception of Giants? I honestly never gave them a second glance so I know nothing of them.

On a side note, in my previous thread I mentioned my LBS telling me a Giant Revolt won't be available until Spring 2021, but they contacted me and said 8-weeks. This is a much better time frame since I have zero races left this year. The Warbird is in stock at another LBS now. My Giant/Spesh bike shop did my fit and he is 100% okay with me buying another bike and bringing it in to complete the fit process. I think it's because he has zero bikes in stock right now.

I totally hear you on this. I have a couple of buddies who ride Giants, and swear by them. One has been on the podium at the world masters in mountain biking, and the other won his age group at Hawaii a few years back. My next purchase SHOULD be a Giant, because it makes sense financially...but there is still a stupid road block in my head.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't get myself to pull trigger on a Giant brand bike. I Think I'm a bike snob. [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was all set on Giant and then my wife said I am better than Giant. She knows very little about bikes and she even has that image of Giants.

Quote | Reply
I am in West Michigan. Village bike is who did my fit.

Prev Next