Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [vladi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dad, where are you located? Is non draft important? She has the opposite of a top 30 nationally bike fit. Let’s figure out which reputable fitter is close to you.

Eric

vladi wrote:
You are right - she is 15, rated top 30 nationally last year

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
She isn't properly fit on the Speed Concept.

Well, I don't want to admit but I'm about her size bit heavier but still under 130.
Her fit is not right. She can go lower and lean forward a little.
Once fit is done right, she can haul ass for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [vladi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dad, just to echo other responses, she should go to a competent TT fitter. Her fit looks like she is on a road bike. She's way too far back. Hips should be rotated downwards. Head needs to be down. She should have plenty of flexibility to get lower but it might be more of a case of teaching her how to ride the TT position, which a competent TT fitter could also do.

I have an aero road bike and a cheap old TT bike and the TT bike is always faster than the road bike unless the course is straight uphill with no descent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2-3mph faster on the TT bike for the same power is the guide I normally work to.
The SC is a bit of a pain to adjust, so you're going to need to find a fitter with a fit bike who will firstly get her into an appropriate position for that style bike - that's pretty basic but as you've seen not many fitters can do even that. Secondly they should go through a process of testing different options, taking feedback, assessing limitations etc in order to find the best position for her now. And finally they should be keeping an eye on UCI rules for position, just so there are no surprises if she wants to do any serious bike races.
Then you'll need to get the giraffe stem swapped out and the bike configured to her new position.
After that it should be a lot more enjoyable to ride and she can work on adapting to the new position.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Dad, where are you located? Is non draft important? She has the opposite of a top 30 nationally bike fit. Let’s figure out which reputable fitter is close to you.

Eric

vladi wrote:

We are in MD, south of Baltimore, Ellicott City. Thanks!!

Her priority is draft legal, but she also ocasionally does sprint age group and road TT.
Last edited by: vladi: Jun 20, 19 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could average 21MPH!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vladi wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Eric

vladi wrote:

Her priority is draft legal, but she also ocasionally does sprint age group and road TT.

She's about to get 1.5 mph + back just from a real fit. Looks like she's set up to engage the wrong muscles while cutting the the air like a parachute. You should be excited for her, good things coming, and good luck. Awesome to see the sport getting younger in the US.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter also does USAT junior elite and occasional bike races, but just crits though, so no TT bike for her. Once in a while for a local sprint non-DL race, she will put on a clip-on bar. But I've never measured the speed difference. One thing for sure, like all other said, is that copying the road position to TT is definitely waste of the TT bike's potential. Even with clip-on bars for my daughter, she would at least move the saddle forward and handlebar down a bit to rotate her position forward, it's nothing like her road riding.

I agree with others, you need to find a good fitter to do a proper TT fit. There are a few good bike fitters around here (I am in Northern VA). Kur at VeloFit in Herndon is super knowledgeable and has worked with some pro riders in the area, e.g. JoeD; I've also heard good things about VeloConcepts in Culpeper where several of the uber-triathletes in the area get fitted there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you put the gearing ratios into a speed calculator
50x14 @ 95rpm = 26.7mph
52x14 @ 95rpm = 27.7mph
for the entire range the 52/38 is about 1mph faster than the 50x34

obviously you need power to compare exactly but just the chain rings could be the difference

http://speed_at_cadence
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
I'm not a fitter, but that fit doesn't look fast. Do you have a picture of her on the road bike doing a TT. My bet is she looks better there.

Just added a road bike pic at the beginning of the thread. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
My daughter also does USAT junior elite and occasional bike races, but just crits though, so no TT bike for her. Once in a while for a local sprint non-DL race, she will put on a clip-on bar. But I've never measured the speed difference. One thing for sure, like all other said, is that copying the road position to TT is definitely waste of the TT bike's potential. Even with clip-on bars for my daughter, she would at least move the saddle forward and handlebar down a bit to rotate her position forward, it's nothing like her road riding.

I agree with others, you need to find a good fitter to do a proper TT fit. There are a few good bike fitters around here (I am in Northern VA). Kur at VeloFit in Herndon is super knowledgeable and has worked with some pro riders in the area, e.g. JoeD; I've also heard good things about VeloConcepts in Culpeper where several of the uber-triathletes in the area get fitted there.

Thanks for the references! They must be rivaling each other at the elite cups then :-) Did you go to Richmond and/or Wisconsin?
Last edited by: vladi: Jun 20, 19 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer can be more adequately answered once you have a power meter on each bike. Even then, for most accurate results, if you could use the same pedal based power meters on each bike to see how the power measures up to her MPH. Remember that there can be a significant difference between two modern power meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the same race series, but my daughter is racing the junior (16-19) and I believe yours is in youth (13-15). Next year they will compete against each other. She races for Endorphin and knows quite a few girls from MC Elite, as well as coach Lausch. Yes we were in Richmond, but not Winsconsin. Next stop is Monroe, and then Iowa, and then Nationals. We've been doing this for a few years now, and enjoy both the process and the competition very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [limited] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
limited wrote:
If you put the gearing ratios into a speed calculator
50x14 @ 95rpm = 26.7mph
52x14 @ 95rpm = 27.7mph
for the entire range the 52/38 is about 1mph faster than the 50x34

obviously you need power to compare exactly but just the chain rings could be the difference

http://speed_at_cadence

This is close to what she maxed out on the same (flat) course during Tri It, Bear, DE -- 28.1mph on AR past year and 26.2mph on SC this year, which confirmed she is slower on SC despite much more favorable weather this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
It's the same race series, but my daughter is racing the junior (16-19) and I believe yours is in youth (13-15). Next year they will compete against each other. She races for Endorphin and knows quite a few girls from MC Elite, as well as coach Lausch. Yes we were in Richmond, but not Winsconsin. Next stop is Monroe, and then Iowa, and then Nationals. We've been doing this for a few years now, and enjoy both the process and the competition very much.

My daughter is first year junior this year (her racing age is 16), she is with MC Elite. This is her second year on elite circuit. She also raced couple crits last year, including Nats. See you in Iowa then!
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, bad for on the TT, just crank that seat as far forward as you can a drop a heap out of the aero spacers (way too high at front) then she will be able to get over the crank and generate power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say check out ERO. Their east coast facility is up in PA (Allentown area I think), but very reputable.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vladi wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Eric

vladi wrote:

Small world. I live in EC. Is she planning on doing Church Creek? I'm a bit scared to ask who around here fit her on the TT bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
vladi wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Eric

vladi wrote:

Her priority is draft legal, but she also occasionally does sprint age group and road TT.

Small world. I live in EC. Is she planning on doing Church Creek? I'm a bit scared to ask who around here fit her on the TT bike...

Wow, yes indeed ... as usual :-)!

Yes, she has done all CCTTs for the past 3(?) years, but not sure about this year yet as she may opt going to the track with BYC on Sunday, but unlikely both ...

Hmm, well, pm me if any :-) Like I mentioned, the fit is very comfortable and she can stay on aerobars forever.

Can you recommend someone in the area for "advanced" TT fit? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Race Pace in Ellicott City just got a new Bike Fit person, he was at Princeton Sports in Columbia and is really good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly locally I don't know anyone who does aggressive fits. Everyone local seems to be in that comfortable to complete Tri fit category of fitters. I personally did a combo of self fit with a pretty comic slowtwitch fit thread years back (that helped quite a lot), then went to see a RETUL fitter. That fitter did help fix some saddle height issues that were impacting my knee tracking, but basically left alone my drop and front end position. I then spent time tinkering on my own doing a combo of field testing and basement video. The result is that I'm pretty slippery and do pretty well for my relatively weak power. However, it also means that I can't really recommend anyone here that can start from scratch. I do have a local buddy who just finished 11 in TT Nats. I'm not sure if he self fit or not, but can ask if he has a recommendation.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: TT/Tri bike (Speed Concept) is SLOWER than road bike (AR3) [bchambliss10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bchambliss10 wrote:
I believe Race Pace in Ellicott City just got a new Bike Fit person, he was at Princeton Sports in Columbia and is really good.

Yes, right, I think I heard about this guy. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:

-) Her position is worse on the TT bike
-) Her power is worse on the TT bike

I would just focus on improving those two things and the rest should take care of itself.

ETA: I would double check that there isn't something dumb like a dragging brake.

Thanks!

When the bike just came from from the factory (custom order) few months ago I decided to check out the bottom bracket bearings by simply hand spinning the cranks with the chain removed, they spun like a single turn and ... stopped, tried it again -- same result. Turned out the shimano Crank Arm Fixing Bolt was waaay over torqued!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most significant variable linked with speed is temperature. If the comparisons were made in one case with cold temp and on the other with hot temp, hot temp give always much better speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vladi wrote:
Her priority is draft legal.

Aha!

Is the average speed on the road bike taken from her races? If it is all draft legal on the roadie then I'd expect it to be fast, assuming she finds herself in a working group pretty often and not riding solo.

That might explain some of it. But it still shouldn't distract us from the piss poor TT bike fit she has had. Man, you should be excited, when you get her fit properly she will get a free turbo boost!

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply

Prev Next