Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication?
Quote | Reply
So I'm looking at getting a new bike, and it is hard to find any critical reviews of them. Do they exist? Or is every new bike from a major manufacturer the best ever?

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerogeeks is just as bad. nothing they review is bad. NOTHING. i called them out on instagram and got a bunch of bullcrap saying they only choose to review products they know they can promote to the public. riiiiiiiight.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
aerogeeks is just as bad. nothing they review is bad. NOTHING. i called them out on instagram and got a bunch of bullcrap saying they only choose to review products they know they can promote to the public. riiiiiiiight.

I second the hypocrisy of 'reviews' from people who are trying to get free gear or make money. Shoe reviewers/influencers are the worst. They'll give mild comments but hide it behind positives. I can't even begin to tell you how many shoes I've tried and hated... then go back to the review and can't believe how much they missed or just left out on purpose.

**And on the flip side, open reviews of products online (i.e. on Yelp, Amazon, etc.) can't be trusted either since its typically the people who have a problem with a product that have enough passion to actually write a review.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
So I'm looking at getting a new bike, and it is hard to find any critical reviews of them. Do they exist? Or is every new bike from a major manufacturer the best ever?

In a different industry, in a past hobby life, I wrote for an "online magazine" for this hobby. I received an item for review, and thoroughly tested it. The item SUCKED. I wrote my review, and submitted it to the publisher. Instead of publishing the review right away, the publisher actually scheduled a weekend trip to my home to confirm my review. This guy flew across the country to verify my opinion of this item. He confirmed this particular thing was truly terrible. He edited my review to soften it a bit, but the message was clear: this really wasn't a good item (it was an attempt to use a particular type of thing in an application that was inappropriate... somewhat akin to trying to shoehorn disc brakes onto a frame not designed for them).

He then published this review, with an editor's note at the top stating that not only was this my opinion, he confirmed this by taking a weekend flight across the country to confirm what I was writing.

End result?

We got sued by the manufacturer.

After a long fight that almost ended up in court, the publisher quietly pulled the review and made it go away. The suit was a typical rant from an unhinged individual questioning my methods, my credentials, everything. Nothing about the scientific points I presented explaining why this particular device could never work in this application. I ended up getting emails from a number of people that managed to read my review who supported my position (as they tested the item themselves and agreed with me). In any case, my point with this story is that I would consider any "published review" of something like a bike to mean "yea it's good" and if you DON'T see a professionally published review of something you are considering, to take that to mean it was reviewed, but not favorably, and therefore quietly buried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
Do they exist?

I don't know about bikes, but pinkbike savaged the Enve M735E wheel. Though to be fair it almost seemed like Enve was trying to literally kill the reviewer. Maybe that's what it takes. ")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike radar occasionally gives out 1- or 2-star (out of 5) ratings. Scores below 3.0 are rare, especially for bikes. But they happen.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Kiley count???

Honestly, no....and that kinda sucks, but I think you can probably also read between the lines a bit of things that might be characterized as weaknesses or cons and be able to infer that those aspects are probably far worse than as written.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Huang, currently of CyclingTips.com, is not known for pulling his punches. (He has the nickname of Angry Asian.) If he rates something as being good I'm prepared to believe him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hambini
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [CreepinTortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CreepinTortoise wrote:
James Huang, currently of CyclingTips.com, is not known for pulling his punches. (He has the nickname of Angry Asian.) If he rates something as being good I'm prepared to believe him.

Agreed. He did one of the few reviews of the felt fr1 road bike a few years back. He basically said great bike, poor rear brake. He was quite disappointed by the rear chainstay brake performance, and felt even sent him an ee brake to replace it. He spent a lot of time on the issue. Maybe too much, and i think he really disliked chainstay brakes.

I eventually bought the same bike frame, but with ee brakes (and sram etap)... and it was fantastic. The braking in the rear was great. But i also use jagwire elite sealed cables, and my rims are laterally stiff.

Either way, i kind of take all reviews with a grain of salt. Setup is a big part of any system.

Does it fit?
Will it meet my needs?
Can i afford it?
Is the bike built with quality?
Does is look hot?

Generally the rest sorts itself out. Bikes are not that complex.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Nov 20, 19 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The was a bicycle magazine (back when paper existed), Road Bike Review or something like that. Not the current website Road Bike review. They really disliked Kestrel bikes and dumped all over them.

Tom Demerly of Bikesport Michigan had some critical reviews. He slammed the Litespeed Blade.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Last edited by: hblake: Nov 20, 19 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ray (DC Rainmaker) seems pretty straight-up with his reviews. Off the top of my head, his review of the Shimano R9100P power meter was pretty "meh".
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was a good one of the R-Sys wheels. Again, trying to kill the reviewer makes it hard to find anything good to say.

I did a running shoe review for a magazine once and they edited out everything negative that I said (which on one set of shoes was quite a lot).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not from a publication. This is why I come to slowtwitch.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:

what kind of bike would you like to buy? i'm happy (well, not happy, but willing) to tell you what's wrong with the bikes that you might buy, including the "wrongs" committed by our partners. to their possible chagrin ;-/

they aren't anything that i haven't written and won't write in the reviews themselves. further, if you go over to dcrainmaker you'll find all kinds of negatives written.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think part of it comes down to a sliding scale of expectations, mixed with that generally, things aren't outright crap.

For example, I see this *routinely* when watching camera lens reviews. People will buy a top end $1800 or $2400 lens, do some simple 'tests' like how quickly and accurately it focuses, if it's sharp, etc. And then surprise, it does well, so they tout it. But of course a $2400 lens should be sharp and focus correctly, this isn't some amazing success. That's not exactly impressive.

Back on topic, I see the same thing with cycling gear. People will test some $250 bibs or $3000 groupset and then wax poetic about how good it is, and of course it is, it's the high end of the market. I'd love to see reviewers talk from that perspective: "Yes, it's very very good overall, but here's what's little and annoying us on a day to day basis."

It's subtle, but just some thoughts. It's not hard to buy something that's ultra upper end and then talk about how good it is.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been around bikes for 35 plus years. Truth is, from BMX - Mountain bike- Road bike- Tri bike, I have only had a few bad parts. This was out of probably the 40 bikes I have probably owned over the years. Most of the stuff is good if you know how to ride. Essentially, realize you have knees and elbows and don’t run into shit like a Mac truck.

I have never had entry, entry, low end stuff in fairness. 105 level and up is truthfully good enough for anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Ray (DC Rainmaker) seems pretty straight-up with his reviews. Off the top of my head, his review of the Shimano R9100P power meter was pretty "meh".
very good point. he and both mr llama seem to be very honest in their reviews.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:

Does it fit?
Will it meet my needs?
Can i afford it?
Does is look hot?

so, like, same as choosing a wife I guess?
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

Does it fit?
Will it meet my needs?
Can i afford it?
Does is look hot?

Except you might want to add: "Will I still want to ride it in ten years" to the list.

All kidding aside... I'll agree with the others above that DCrainmaker is one of the best and most honest reviewers I've come across. I have no doubt that Garmin has a love/hate relationship with Ray as he has always been brutally honest (both good and bad) about their products.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Not from a publication. This is why I come to slowtwitch.

Exactly, you are much more likely to hear the bad stuff, especially the stuff that would tend to show up after a few months of use, on a forum like this. Sometimes if I am looking for comments about an item on slowtwitch, I'll get more accurate results by using a google search.
So for example "HED Disc Slowtwitch" in google..
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [Nickwisdom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nickwisdom wrote:
Justicebeaver wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

Does it fit?
Will it meet my needs?
Can i afford it?
Does is look hot?

Except you might want to add: "Will I still want to ride it in ten years" to the list.

All kidding aside... I'll agree with the others above that DCrainmaker is one of the best and most honest reviewers I've come across. I have no doubt that Garmin has a love/hate relationship with Ray as he has always been brutally honest (both good and bad) about their products.

Zing, good one.

They key to a good review is to balance pros and cons. That is why structured, balanced reviews are good imho. I want to know pros and cons, and then use those to evaluate my own priorities.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is somewhat what I'm getting at. My issue is this- I have x dollars to spend on a bike. There are four or five that I am considering in that price range. Yes, I know that they are all good- but which ones had flaws, how do they compare to each other. All of these reviewers have access to all the bikes, and may or may not have preferences amongst them. Can you rank them? Say that they are similar? Or give any insight to how they stack up?

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides product "flaws" (wich honestly should be beyond product reviews), how do you know if you would automatically prefer the "best" bike on paper (reviews) ?

Yeah, reviews aren't very helpful generally. There is no golden rule.

I remember one helpful article wrote by Hunter Allen on his Cyfac Gothica bike. He described the bike as :
-not his stiffest, liveliest, not the most stable, etc. he ever had,
- Far from being the lightest either,
- But it was the bike that gave him the best times on hilly segments, with the lowest avg.power.
He also though it was generally very comfortable to ride, if I remember the main ideas.

You can also "adapt" any review, to your needs and whatever deal comes up. The brain is a wonderful thing.
Look at Rocketracing, he's happy with a crappy designed frameset, wich has very poor rear braking power, even with EEBrake, but he's happy with it. He found a good review, scored the frame, and obliterated the frame's major defect.

From Cyclingtips's review:
Quote:
One potential option is a replacement caliper from eecycleworks, which Felt sent to me to trial. That caliper was fitted with a specific linkage arm to better match with SRAM levers, and as promised, it provided much more rim clearance for a given amount of brake lever travel — enough that pad rub was no longer an issue, even when pounding the pedals out of the saddle on steep climbs.
The ee caliper’s built-in quick-release mechanism also eliminates the need for a separate inline widget.
That generous pad clearance came at the expense of overall braking performance, however. While the pad contact point was reassuringly distinct, power was lacking. Moreover, I found the caliper’s overly stiff spring tension to require an inordinate amount of hand effort at the lever, which felt particularly out-of-sorts when combined with the standard SRAM Red front caliper’s comparatively feathery-light action.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever seen a negative review from a publication? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Tom Demerly of Bikesport Michigan had some critical reviews. He slammed the Litespeed Blade.

Tom D! I wonder what he’s up to these days.
Quote Reply

Prev Next