Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait!!! Some time on the trainer first?

Interested in your thoughts on comfort and the heel design. The Velcro he used was pretty cool - allows for self aligning and resists sheering forces

To the self molding person - I had my feet fast a second time this past weekend and I'm confident you'll do a fine job if you have a friend to help

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it will be on display at NAHBS coming up.

I'm speaking with the people at Fidlock to see if a magnetic, super low profile and adjustable closure system can be used/created for the all carbon Simmons shoe. Will post any updates.

GreenPlease will be testing his shoes at A2.... now?

Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

I'm speaking with the people at Fidlock to see if a magnetic, super low profile and adjustable closure system can be used/created for the all carbon Simmons shoe. Will post any updates.

He is there today?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly in Charlotte today...? He said he's testing on Wednesday

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

I just got to Charlotte. I bumped my time to 9:00am Thursday to accommodate Heath. I'm going to run by A2 in the morning to pick up the MORF bar and Simmons' latest prototype. Both will be tested :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi GreenPlease,

Sorry to revive such an old thread but it was a fascinating read. Wondering how these worked out for you? Ever since I saw Adam Hansen's shoes I've been fascinated, and it looks like you've done all the hard work for a tri-specific version of the Hanseenos.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any info from your end by chance?

Darren
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there - I've had two pairs of Simmons full custom, full carbon mojo shoes for some time and love them: one road and one tri pair from Simmons Racing.

I've been working with Simmons on a new buckle system is that is super aero and finely adjustable. We're working on a pair for RVB for the season.

Let me know what specific questions you have. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bite. I'm interested.

I saw on Wiggins shoe they put the boa near the arch of the foot. Any chance they could move it to the heel of the shoe and mostly enclose it within the carbon heel?

Also. Was there ever any A2 tunnel data against the shoe. I know it's custom and the shapes are different.. but like a comparison between stock brand X in whatever your appropriate size is... vs... Simmons custom in your size.

Also. I've raced in the rain a few times.. is there any chance for water drainage out the bottom of the shoe?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Hi there - I've had two pairs of Simmons full custom, full carbon mojo shoes for some time and love them: one road and one tri pair from Simmons Racing.

I've been working with Simmons on a new buckle system is that is super aero and finely adjustable. We're working on a pair for RVB for the season.

aren't your feet getting hot in these? does not seem to have any ventilation and the carbon totally blocks all air movement
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero wise, sadly, in general the knock against custom shoes is that your foot isn't a great shape. The shoes that generally do best (like empires/spec sub6/etc) don't look like a foot, they are narrow and tube shaped. GP's data from A2 kinda confirmed. (although of course, because they are custom, the good old "it depends" is the golden rule)

Having seen a couple of different designs in person (and even made my own prototypes) I can tell you one thing for certain. Simmons is a professional finished product. All the other ones (Hanson's *his that he wore* not sure about the one's he's producing now, most of the other boutique sellers that are cheap*er) look like somebody took a cast of your foot and wrapped it in a few layers of kevlar/carbon :D The Simmons I have seen all looked like you could mount them as works of art.

As to your idea on where to put the boa... this was what I came up with, (exaggerated heel that would house the boa - these were track/tt'ish design and you'd tighten them with an allen wrench. For something like tri you'd have a cutout window where you could access/twist the boa, although it'd be hard to do it "fast") although in the end I just went with a zipper on my prototype.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Mar 6, 21 11:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

I’m interested to see what designs you have cooking, as I’m in the market for a custom shoe and am deciding between simmons and Bont zero+
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mbellis5 wrote:
I'll bite. I'm interested.

I saw on Wiggins shoe they put the boa near the arch of the foot. Any chance they could move it to the heel of the shoe and mostly enclose it within the carbon heel?

Also. Was there ever any A2 tunnel data against the shoe. I know it's custom and the shapes are different.. but like a comparison between stock brand X in whatever your appropriate size is... vs... Simmons custom in your size.

Also. I've raced in the rain a few times.. is there any chance for water drainage out the bottom of the shoe?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Yes, Simmons has placed BOA and Sidi closures on the heel and shrouded them slightly in carbon to the extent they can still be replaced if need be.

GreenPlease took his Simmons tri show to the windtunnel and they didn't do bad, but also didn't do amazingly. I'd agree with Morelock that the foot isn't that aero and you have to do some shaping. For example, see the VeloVetta design which is incredibly aero, but not custom. Simmons is working on a more aero design. And, he worked daily with the UK Olympic track team and they test everything in the windtunnel and those shoes are shaped a tad and test incredibly well, but the results aren't made public. Simmons also works with the New Zealand and German Olympic teams, and those teams come to him strictly for performance/aero gains the shoes offer.

yes, holes can be placed in the shoes. I've worn my road and tri shoes now for many years, in the very heavy rain during training, and in tris and I have no holes and I've never had water build up. but holes can be had.

Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Aero wise, sadly, in general the knock against custom shoes is that your foot isn't a great shape. The shoes that generally do best (like empires/spec sub6/etc) don't look like a foot, they are narrow and tube shaped. GP's data from A2 kinda confirmed. (although of course, because they are custom, the good old "it depends" is the golden rule)

Having seen a couple of different designs in person (and even made my own prototypes) I can tell you one thing for certain. Simmons is a professional finished product. All the other ones (Hanson's *his that he wore* not sure about the one's he's producing now, most of the other boutique sellers that are cheap*er) look like somebody took a cast of your foot and wrapped it in a few layers of kevlar/carbon :D The Simmons I have seen all looked like you could mount them as works of art.

As to your idea on where to put the boa... this was what I came up with, (exaggerated heel that would house the boa - these were track/tt'ish design and you'd tighten them with an allen wrench. For something like tri you'd have a cutout window where you could access/twist the boa, although it'd be hard to do it "fast") although in the end I just went with a zipper on my prototype.

So, here's where we're at with a new, micro adjustable, aero buckle, building off your image

This below piece is ~4.5mm tall and attaches on the body of the shoe and goes under the flap/lid of the shoe.

This piece attaches under the lid of the shoe and a U shape is cut into the lid that slots into the top part of the below piece and the hole is to rivet it on.

When you press on the U cut out in the above piece, you push this piece down. You can see the ridge in the second male piece and how that catches the matching ridges in the first image female piece. When you press on the lid of the shoe, the buckle ratchets tighter like a Sidi/Shimano shoe buckle strip. When you press on the U piece cut into the lid, it disengages the buckle. We are proposing the lid of the shoe is 'sprung' open as the default position making entry super easy for tri and road. When you push down on the lid, the buckle engages and ratchets tighter. Being only ~4.5mm tall, it can fit nicely under the lid of the shoe and out of the wind. If the heel of the shoe is shaped appropriately, this can be one heck of an aero shoe. We are possibly working on a pair for RVB at the moment as one-off custom shoes.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 15, 21 21:15
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I’m interested to see what designs you have cooking, as I’m in the market for a custom shoe and am deciding between simmons and Bont zero+

just posted above. No way I'd ride in Bonts after having custom shoes. They're pricey, but then again, my road shoes have an insane number of miles on them after 6 years and they look new and I bet they have another 6+ years in them, and Simmons will completely overhaul the shoes for $300 if that were ever needed

Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

aren't your feet getting hot in these? does not seem to have any ventilation and the carbon totally blocks all air movement

Good question - short answer is, No, your feet will not get hot.

longer answer: we've found that if you take something like a carbon plate and put it in the sun, it will get insanely hot. For example, when we've tested things like the Revolver aerobar, it got so hot in the sun that it burned to the touch and caused us to sweat at a higher rate. On the other hand, when you completely encase something in carbon, the outside gets hot, but the inside doesn't get too hot. Leather/synthetic/fabric shoes are insulating and my feet get really hot in those on a 100 degree day. I've ridden 5-7 hours on 100 degree days in Simmons shoes and never even thought about my feet: not hot, not sweaty (sure they sweat, but I don't feel it when riding), and most important: not pain or pressure points.

So no, heat isn't an issue and ventilation is only needed for shoes that act as insulators. Carbon does more reflecting than insulating, we've found.

Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I bought a pair of Simmons shoes after reading this thread a couples years back. Some comments.....

1. Super nice people to work with, and they genuinely try to get it right for you.
2. Unlike normal shoes, and even unlike a lot of custom shoes, these are literally a hard carbon shell around most of your foot. That includes the upper to some extent. One issue I ended up having with this was that any little defect, any little pressure point area that maybe wasn't molded absolutely perfect to the shape of your foot at that point, will be felt, no give like a leather upper, and is not easy to move / re-shape, even with heat.
3. He builds these based on a cast of your foot. They have you cast your feet using plaster wraps. I had someone help me, but I think a more accurate way would be to use a casting sock like R7 does.
4. First pair I received were about 2 sizes too small, no idea why. They made a second pair for me. These came in like 2 sizes too big, and when I inquired, they said that the original casts had crumbled and thus the second pair was a bit of guess work, thus the size issue. They then made me a third pair based on more casts I sent them, and this time I will say they are very close. But due to point #2 above, they just aren't that comfy for me. Gave up after that.
Between shipping charges and import charges of multiple casts and shoes, I spent a good 2500 Can on these shoes that don't work for me.
Absolutely nothing -against- Simmons, again super nice and tried to make it work. And the craftsmanship is really nice. But they didn't work for me.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Mar 16, 21 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Aero wise, sadly, in general the knock against custom shoes is that your foot isn't a great shape. The shoes that generally do best (like empires/spec sub6/etc) don't look like a foot, they are narrow and tube shaped.

I'm going to add here, if somebody is going the Empire route that IMHO you do need to spend the premium coin on the SLX version.

I bought the ACC version first. Then some SLX came on super sale in my size. The aero profile presented is significantly different IMHO from same size ACC versus SLX........the SLX being smaller.

I have not the time to test it as I have other fish to fry this spring, but to me it is an obvious improvement visually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks good, I haven't thought a lot about tri specific shoes in a while, but if the triathlete could live with only doing flying mounts/dismounts, there's a lot of potential for some aero upgrades I'd think on the bottom of the shoe.
Making a boat hull'ish shape should be good... but obviously you can't run (or really even walk) in something like that.
I've often wondered which part of the old mark1 Bont Crono's made them slippery... they are very long, pointy at the toe and hull shaped on the bottom (although even they make sacrifices there to allow for some amount of walking, however awkward)

Also for bespoke shoes... it's a lot more work but at the right price... building the pedal in (probably works best with speedplay aero's) like the old Lamson project 96 shoes you'd think would be pretty trick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is super cool. I'm on a bit of a shoe journey (have some Bont Zero+ on the way, planning on ordering Ed's Velovettas as soon as they launch). To date, I've never had cycling shoes that weren't a bit uncomfortable. The full custom carbon is super appealing from the comfort perspective.

Do you have a mailing list where we can follow what you're working on for Rudy? If you can get an aerodynamic and flying-mount-friendly version, I'd very likely order a pair to try them out. Thanks!

Darren
Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
This is super cool. I'm on a bit of a shoe journey (have some Bont Zero+ on the way, planning on ordering Ed's Velovettas as soon as they launch). To date, I've never had cycling shoes that weren't a bit uncomfortable. The full custom carbon is super appealing from the comfort perspective.

Do you have a mailing list where we can follow what you're working on for Rudy? If you can get an aerodynamic and flying-mount-friendly version, I'd very likely order a pair to try them out. Thanks!

You can follow Simmons here and I'll be sure he posts images: https://www.instagram.com/simmonsracing/?hl=en

He's been slammed with prototypes for us recently... if you see Rudy's and Sam's bikes, you can figure it out pretty easily, but keeping the cat in the bag for now...

Quote Reply
Re: Full Carbon Custom Tri Bike Shoe: Your Input Wanted [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Cajer wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I bought a pair of Simmons shoes after reading this thread a couples years back. Some comments.....

1. Super nice people to work with, and they genuinely try to get it right for you.
2. Unlike normal shoes, and even unlike a lot of custom shoes, these are literally a hard carbon shell around most of your foot. That includes the upper to some extent. One issue I ended up having with this was that any little defect, any little pressure point area that maybe wasn't molded absolutely perfect to the shape of your foot at that point, will be felt, no give like a leather upper, and is not easy to move / re-shape, even with heat.
3. He builds these based on a cast of your foot. They have you cast your feet using plaster wraps. I had someone help me, but I think a more accurate way would be to use a casting sock like R7 does.
4. First pair I received were about 2 sizes too small, no idea why. They made a second pair for me. These came in like 2 sizes too big, and when I inquired, they said that the original casts had crumbled and thus the second pair was a bit of guess work, thus the size issue. They then made me a third pair based on more casts I sent them, and this time I will say they are very close. But due to point #2 above, they just aren't that comfy for me. Gave up after that.
Between shipping charges and import charges of multiple casts and shoes, I spent a good 2500 Can on these shoes that don't work for me.
Absolutely nothing -against- Simmons, again super nice and tried to make it work. And the craftsmanship is really nice. But they didn't work for me.

2.) As I have never tried them on or got to handle them a ton, a question for you and Milesthedog both - is the upper stiff? There are additives you can add to Epoxy (and even some more exotic epoxy sold that way) that can allow for quite a bit of "flex" - almost turns it into a rubbery vs. rigid layup. That's what I did, seems to hold up ok and gives a little more room for error I figured. Also perhaps using low modulus carbon on the upper would allow for more give.
3.) I tried both the plaster wrap and the casting socks when I was making mine. Agree the casting sock is a better alternative, but still very open to user error. My first attempt had a super raised arch, second attempt was basically flat, third was somewhere in the middle but yeah I could probably do 10 more and still not get it perfect. This is one of those things, imo, you either need some experience doing yourself or you need the person who really knows what they are doing taking the "cast."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With regards to your first question - the third pair he made for me did have a slightly more flexible upper. I'm honestly not sure how he did it.

Second question - the casting - I mentioned R7 uses the sock - they also have you use a specific shape wooden platform under your foot that they send you as part of the cast kit. So its somewhat hard to mess up and is pretty consistent.
When doing the wraps for Simmons, he has you just place your foot on a flat soft layer of towels to try to get a natural weighted shape, but that is somewhat hard to do consistently (at least to me) and would result in differences like you described. The slightest difference in weight distribution etc will change the shape. Hard to get that consistent.

I have actually used the third pair for really short stuff, like a sprint tri or du, where I don't have to ride more than 30-40 minutes. Any more than that, ouch. :(
Quote Reply

Prev Next