Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep your fingers and thumb on the top side. Forget the slots or holes, except the one you run your middle finger through. I have no idea what the others are for. Squeeze your fingers together a bit to keep them on.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a true comparison of fists closed vs open hand in pulling, test it with a pull buoy (no kicking) and at the exact same Stroke rate. It is easy to compensate for loss of propulsion with increased SR or stronger kick.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [gary sr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
5. Therefore, focus on driving the recovering hand and arm hard to the water (fully extended).

So, does the "fully extended" bit mean that the recovering arm should be fully extended, i.e. straight at the below, before the hand enters the water? Or does it mean that you should drive the recovering hand/arm into the water until it is fully extended? I have been thinking the correct technique was the later, but just wanted to clarify what this meant.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We use a Propulsion/Drag meter in FL testing various static drag positions at fixed velocities, towing across the pool. I have not tested fist closed vs open yet, but I will next time I am down there. I can already tell you that the difference will be significant.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it should come down hard, but fully extended. There is a lot less drag in air than there is in water.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you! There is a lot more to the recovering arm motion than just recovery. We call the kinetic energy derived from the recovering arm and rotating body (shoulders and hips occur separately about .2 seconds apart) Coupling Motions. They can both be very powerful ways to augment the effect of the two propulsive forces generated by the pull and kick.

We write an entire chapter on Coupling Motions in my book for all four strokes and the start. I am on your side!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
I think we agree that the Bernoulli effect at the speed of swimming and with the small size of the wings (hands/arms) it is not a significant force. Sculling, if purely a motion out and back will generate lift but no propulsion. The hand(s) must move backward to do that.
You are correct in that when we try to move the hand in a direct line backwards very quickly, the hand swerves a little. If you kick very fast with fins on and one arm is pointing straight down, we don't have the strength to keep it straight. It swerves from the tremendous amount of drag it is causing. That small amount of excursion of the hand caused by the frontal drag forces is not the same as the in sweep or out sweep so often seen in swimmer's pulling motions.
As the hand passes the shoulder on its way back, the elbow and upper arm elevate in order to try to keep the hand moving backward, not upward. The hand sort of cuts off the corner of the circle from 6 to 9 o'clock on its way back, so the motion is more linear than you might think.
Someone in the thread mentioned that the arm is a class 1 lever. It is not. Like the forearm, the entire arm is a class 3 lever with fulcrum being the shoulder joint, effect load being at the insertion of the major muscles moving the arm into the head of the Humurus, very near the fulcrum. Even if the force load is 2/3 the way down the arm (as you suggest) or at the hand (where I believe most of the force is being applied), the mechanical advantage is far less than one. While the EVF brings the hand closer to the fulcrum, increasing the mechanical advantage, meaning we can push the hand through faster with the same amount of force, I believe that we lose too much biomechanical advantage in this awkward motion to win in the overall propulsion battle. But we do win in the drag battle, and that takes precedence, unless we are swimming a 50 sprint.

I remember reading something about Alexandre Popov using less force but having less drag than other top sprinters (presumably your son included hah). Care to comment on this?

Fascinating discussion by the way
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Popov used a medium octane recovery with very hard hand delivery and fast shoulder rotation-great coupling motions. He also did 21.9 with a SR of 110, about the slowest of any swimmer under 22 seconds. Great propulsion and DPS from strong pull and kick and great coupling.

Caeleb swims the 50 m sprint today with a SR of over 130, yet still has great kick, pull and a much better start. He is also going a second faster.

Gary Jr's stroke rate in the 50 was around 125 with a great kick.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Am I to understand that the (often referred to as recovery arm) plays no roll in forward movement?
Maybe you believe there is some benefit there, maybe you dont. But you have not talked about it.

As far as fist swimming, in my experiences, similar to another poster here, I have seen times within 2 or 3% of non-fisted swims (this is for experienced college age swimmers and advanced age groupers).... in the tri community that % is even closer as the closed fist allows triathletes to move through that "pull phase" (horrible name) and get to the arm throw (recovery as its often referred to) much easier and thus takes a lot of strain off the shoulders and back. IE they go just about as fast without trying to apply all that force on the hand under the water.

my simple points are:

The throw over the water is all to often neglected in swimming and is an area that can create more propulsion than any effort UNDER the water. (I would argue its less taxing energy wise to move ones arm through air than water... no?)

That throw over the water changes your (yes dan) anchor arm into a first class lever.

And the challenging thing in what you do with your arms when you swim is that the movement is simple. However our feedback loops, based on survival, and how we are wired make it extra hard to keep this simple. Over analyzing and over detailing only the underwater aspect of swimming w the arms is not surprising based on this knowledge. And also highlights our desire for more information here. Heck we have a whole host of swim tools that highlight our desire to focus on where our brains are getting feedback, while in the water... hands / paddles of all shapes and sizes and claims of improvement and feet / fins of all shapes an sizes and claims of improvement. And coaches who promote focusing only here by using fancy terms.

daved

He does cover the importance of the recovering arm in his post. Here are the two points he makes about how important creating that momentum with the recovering arm is:

4. The speed of the hand entry of the recovering arm is directly tied to the speed of the shoulder rotation- both powerful coupling motions for your pull.
5. Therefore, focus on driving the recovering hand and arm hard to the water (fully extended). The fast shoulder rotation comes with it. It is the only BOGO I know of in the sport of swimming. Too many swimmers enter their arms like a modern toilet seat with a spring hinge on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
The kinetic energy of the recovering arm (particularly at the end of the recovery) as the hand nears the water, and the kinetic energy of the rotating body (shoulders and hips rotate at different times about .2 seconds apart) do, in fact, augment the effect of the two sources of propulsion, pull and kick. We call these motions Coupling Motions. Neither one generates any propulsion, but when they occur during the propulsion, or while the propulsion is still in effect, they will augment the effect.

It just so happens that the aggressive arm/hand entry will cause the shoulders to rotate faster, increasing the kinetic energy in both motions. That is the BOGO I refer to. Sprinters tend to use a straight, fast arm recovery with very high SR to maximize this coupling effect.

Great thread.

Now will be back to splashing the blue hairs in the adjacent lanes with my quick and 'coupled' hand entry.
Yes, I noticed that works to drive the stroke. But it just looks 'ugly' and certainly I am going to be in the doghouse with the soccer-moms+ a lane over..... until figuring out how to coordinate it with smooth hand entry.
I'll tell them they should direct complaints your way.

No, seriously, Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

This is not synchronized swimming. You don't get any time deducted for looking pretty!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
Popov used a medium octane recovery with very hard hand delivery and fast shoulder rotation-great coupling motions. He also did 21.9 with a SR of 110, about the slowest of any swimmer under 22 seconds. Great propulsion and DPS from strong pull and kick and great coupling.

Caeleb swims the 50 m sprint today with a SR of over 130, yet still has great kick, pull and a much better start. He is also going a second faster.

Gary Jr's stroke rate in the 50 was around 125 with a great kick.

This kind of boggles my mind. I know it's apples and oranges to say the least, comparing myself to that (I do longer distance, not sprints; I'm an adult-onset swimmer with only a couple of years experience, not an Olympian), but I really struggle getting my SR above 80! And that is when focusing on high stroke rate over short distances. My regular, longer distance (500 yd+) stroke rate is probably more in the 50s to low 60s.

Increasing my stroke rate, while keeping the effort level (RPE) the same has been a struggle. Anyone have tips on how to do that?
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know your age, but it is common for many older Masters swimmers and all triathletes to use a SR in 50's and 60's for distance events (over 200 meters), so don't despair. Get a Tempo Trainer (Finis..you can find them on our website) and train with it. Start with what you can handle for your aerobic sets. Prefer to do shorter repeats (100's 150's 200's with short rest) holding SR. Gradually build it up.

Remember that we are developing a more shoulder-driven technique, so don't spend a lot of time pushing out the back. Most of your propulsion should come around when the pulling hand is near the shoulder. Then release the hand quickly in the back quadrant and get it back out front.

Some swimmers will simply do better with a hip-driven technique, even with no significant kicking propulsion. So keep that in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the post.

Can I ask you where you got that KL photo from? I want that as wall art in my pain cave.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will send you by email if you private message me. I borrowed it from SwimSwam - a Mike Lewis photo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
We have a bunch of free videos on Youtube (and Lane 1 on our subscription). Or you can take a deeper dive and subscribe to Lane 2 or Lane 3. Lane 3 now has over 300 videos...many on freestyle technique.

Is there a link? I apologize but I can’t find them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to http://www.theraceclub.com and click on membership bar.

Last edited by: gary sr: Apr 27, 21 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
I don't know your age, but it is common for many older Masters swimmers and all triathletes to use a SR in 50's and 60's for distance events (over 200 meters), so don't despair. Get a Tempo Trainer (Finis..you can find them on our website) and train with it. Start with what you can handle for your aerobic sets. Prefer to do shorter repeats (100's 150's 200's with short rest) holding SR. Gradually build it up.

Remember that we are developing a more shoulder-driven technique, so don't spend a lot of time pushing out the back. Most of your propulsion should come around when the pulling hand is near the shoulder. Then release the hand quickly in the back quadrant and get it back out front.

Some swimmers will simply do better with a hip-driven technique, even with no significant kicking propulsion. So keep that in mind.

I think a few years ago you said that most of the propulsion comes from when arm passes nose to just before belly button and outside of that, you're not really getting much propulsive force, but outside that range you are in the best streamline?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of drag cost would there be to spear the water a little deeper to setup the catch quicker? I don't understand how the press down has any benefit. I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to get into the catch position given my (and others) limited mobility/flexiblity.
Quote Reply
Re: Freestyle Pulling Motion [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul,

We now have a Pressure Meter, which measures the Pressure (Force/area) on the pulling hands and the body rotational speed. We have found that the peak force from the pulling hand can occur anywhere from the shoulder all the way back to the release, depending on where the swimmer elects to push the hardest and when the coupling occurs.

With shoulder-driven freestyle the peak shoulder rotation and hand entry occurs when the pulling hand is near the shoulder, leading to the peak force. With hip-driven freestyle, the hand is in front of the shoulder when the peak shoulder rotation occurs, so we often find the peak force at the end of the pulling motion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Here is one propulsion story you might enjoy (not widely known).

In 1992, there was a world-class backstroker from Gainesville FL, Martin Zubero. He had dual citizenship, USA and Spain, as his father was Spanish. Since the Olympic Games were in Barcelona that year, Spain offered $1Million to the first Spaniard to win a gold medal in the Games.

Spain doesn't usually win too many gold medals, and with Swimming going off the first week of the Games and Martin having a good chance of winning, he did the capitalist thing and decided to swim for Spain.

A couple of months before the Olympic Games of Barcelona, Martin swam the 200 backstroke in a rather rinky-dink meet in Alabama, going 1:56.5, smashing the world record. He was unshaved and untapered, and put the swimming world on notice that he was the man to beat in Barcelona. Apparently it worked, as he won the Olympic Gold medal and, being the first Spaniard to do so, won $1M. Not bad for a day's work. His winning time in Barcelona was 1:58.4, almost two seconds slower than he had done in that little meet in Alabama.

I was intrigued when I looked at his swim in Alabama that he nearly even-split the race. Out in 57+, back in 58+. No one had ever come back nearly that fast in that race. How did he do that, unshaved, untapered, no less? Years later, he confided in a friend of mine, who knows Martin much better than I do, that he came off of the turn at the hundred and all the way down and back during the second 100, he pulled on the lane line markers with his strong right arm. The stroke and turn judges at that meet, whom I am sure were not experienced, never caught him doing that.

I am not sure what the moral to this story is, but it clearly proves that if you want to swim faster, you should pull on the lane line marker, or another swimmer's ankle or a ladder or any other heavy or immobile object you can find underwater. That technique definitely will increase your propulsion.

BTW, your notion of EVF giving you more anchoring is not entirely wrong, especially when compared to a pull where the elbow is leading the hand by a lot. A vertically placed forearm will cause more drag (moving backward) than an angled forearm....just less than the hand causes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary sr wrote:
Dan,

Here is one propulsion story you might enjoy (not widely known).

In 1992, there was a world-class backstroker from Gainesville FL, Martin Zubero. He had dual citizenship, USA and Spain, as his father was Spanish. Since the Olympic Games were in Barcelona that year, Spain offered $1Million to the first Spaniard to win a gold medal in the Games.

Spain doesn't usually win too many gold medals, and with Swimming going off the first week of the Games and Martin having a good chance of winning, he did the capitalist thing and decided to swim for Spain.

A couple of months before the Olympic Games of Barcelona, Martin swam the 200 backstroke in a rather rinky-dink meet in Alabama, going 1:56.5, smashing the world record. He was unshaved and untapered, and put the swimming world on notice that he was the man to beat in Barcelona. Apparently it worked, as he won the Olympic Gold medal and, being the first Spaniard to do so, won $1M. Not bad for a day's work. His winning time in Barcelona was 1:58.4, almost two seconds slower than he had done in that little meet in Alabama.

I was intrigued when I looked at his swim in Alabama that he nearly even-split the race. Out in 57+, back in 58+. No one had ever come back nearly that fast in that race. How did he do that, unshaved, untapered, no less? Years later, he confided in a friend of mine, who knows Martin much better than I do, that he came off of the turn at the hundred and all the way down and back during the second 100, he pulled on the lane line markers with his strong right arm. The stroke and turn judges at that meet, whom I am sure were not experienced, never caught him doing that.

I am not sure what the moral to this story is, but it clearly proves that if you want to swim faster, you should pull on the lane line marker, or another swimmer's ankle or a ladder or any other heavy or immobile object you can find underwater. That technique definitely will increase your propulsion.

BTW, your notion of EVF giving you more anchoring is not entirely wrong, especially when compared to a pull where the elbow is leading the hand by a lot. A vertically placed forearm will cause more drag (moving backward) than an angled forearm....just less than the hand causes.

that is quite a story. there's a lesson in there. somewhere! perhaps that when a seasoned onlooker comes on a result that just doesn't make any sense, there's generally an explanation ;-/

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. And often the explanation is not a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Gary,

I have a question that I am not sure if it’s a dumb question but I’ll risk it.

How much does hand size matter in swimming? I have relatively small hands, and I often wonder (esp when I put even a small paddle on) how much propulsion I’m losing from hands being 2-3 cm less wide and long. It seems very obvious but then I start thinking about the girls who are way faster than me amd they have even smaller hands and so do the 12 year olds in the other lane but they have much smaller bodies. So is it hand size that matters, or is there a hand/body surface area ratio that matters, or is lack of hand size made up for by higher stroke rate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question, not dumb. Hand size does matter, particularly when there is enough strength to pull the larger hand through the water without slipping. So does feet size. However, there have been lots of good swimmers with average-sized hands and feet....though I would have to say few or none with small hands or tiny feet. SR can make up the difference to some degree.

Swimming is interesting in that lots of different body morphologies have found ways of succeeding, depending on the stroke and distance. There are so many variables in swimming.
Quote Reply

Prev Next