Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Really like your set up. Which BTA system have you installed ?
Thanks
A.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Alex2204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used the Profile Design HC mount to setup the BTA:

https://www.amazon.com/...7b6bee7a0e59c879f293

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Have you changed since ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am still using it. However, I switched my regular bottle with the profile design aero HC bottle for racing but keep a regular bottle when training.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, thanks. I am still looking for the perfect setting for my P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys. I'm going to necro this thread.

I joined this site literally just to ask a question about this bottle. I haven't decided between the FRP bottle or the Carbon one. The thing is the 8g weight difference doesn't bother me. What does bother me is if the carbon version holds the bottle better than the FRP version. Bumpy roads in SA make bottles easy to loose. So if the Carbon version holds the bottle better and tighter than I think that it's worth the cost over the FRP version to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Alastair_S1D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the GFRP version. At first I mounted it to the downtube, during the first ride I lost the bottle, moved it to the seat tube and never had problems again. Quite interested in other people's experience as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [VGT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VGT wrote:
Heard of Google?

Isn't it bad slowtwitch etiquette to use a picture of someone's bike and not give them credit for it.... LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Is anyone using the ELITE CRONO CX bottles on their bike. If it is possible, can you post a picture of them on the bike. I am looking for single and double bottles on the frame. I believe that Campled had them on one of his bikes and he was using two of them.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: Just realized this is an old ass thread....probably should have replied to the last post then. Comments and opinions still hold true for me.

Already been posted but I thought an updated photo would be nice. I love the look and I am sure they are fast, but if they're not full they are rattle traps. Also, they're not the most secure on rough roads even though, I've only had one ejection. Used them in crits and short road races, not really drinking in the former. Not hateful to get in and out, but even after years of riding with them it's not intuitive to place them back. Also, you have to squeeze them post placement to ensure they are secured. If you can live with all of that then go for it!

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jan 25, 18 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did use one but after it bounced out on a rough section of road in an IM and I lost my concentrated nutrition I went to the X-lab aero bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one carbon one and one plastic one. The carbon holds much, much better. I had to put the plastic one on the seat tube and the carbon one on the down tube so that it'd act as an anchor to keep the plastic one in.

Of course, doing it that way, I can only access the one on the seat tube by taking out the one on the down tube, so that's not ideal...
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to get two carbon ones then. I am sure I can learn how to get them in and out efficiently.

I don't know if the Xlabs bottle is UCI legal. But I know the Elite is. And so should be no issues using them in CSA sanctioned races.

I'm going all out on aero gains for road racing. I've just built myself a Transonic. Got some 50mm clinchers for it. Aeronova LTD bars. So now I'm looking at gains in other areas. Pic of the bike taken at a race a few months ago. Those bottles just look so clunky.

When you guys talk about "neutral" bottle placement etc, what do you mean by that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest you look elsewhere for aero gains on a road race bike. What do you expect to do for races longer than 60-70km where you'll need a bottle handup?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thing is we don't get bottle hand outs in races here. And I don't stop at water tables. Only the sponsored athletes get the luxury of team cars or feed bags in races. So I carry all my own fuel and food for 100+km races on board for the duration of the race. So I imagine gains can be made here.

Besides. The bottles look sexy. If there is one thing that can make you go faster it's the "feel good" factor that you get just from having a bike that "looks" faster.

I am always looking for other gains I've already changed my computers position which should help it a wee bit. I'm going to change my set up over time until I can get a slammed or as close to slammed stem as possible without being uncomfortable. The rest of the gains is just going to be on me in terms of clothing helmet and shoes which I am already looking into as well.
Last edited by: Alastair_S1D: Jan 25, 18 23:22
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
I have one carbon one and one plastic one. The carbon holds much, much better. I had to put the plastic one on the seat tube and the carbon one on the down tube so that it'd act as an anchor to keep the plastic one in.

Of course, doing it that way, I can only access the one on the seat tube by taking out the one on the down tube, so that's not ideal...

If that's the case I'd hate to see the plastic. I'm not trying to be an alarmist at all, but these are not the best bottles to have if you are counting on them. That being said I have ridden plenty of gravel at speed and not lost them.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I will raise this one from the dead again, just because people use google (i did).

There may be faster bottles, but i think these balance looks and speed. I use the plastic cages (i think they are fibreglass reinforced composite) and they are fine. No ejections ever, and i hit some rough stuff. I think there were design updates to resolve retention issues, and i no longer think you can get the carbon cage versions as of this writing.

And yeah, they are rattle traps when empty. Another negative is that bumps can cause water drops to fire out the spout. So if the bottle is overfilled, your bike can get some drips on it. As a result, i would never use them for sugar/electrolyte drinks.

I have thoughts about using one bta on my aerobars. They would be a great fit for a narrow arm position, and pretty aero. Downside would again be leaking on the bumps as water would always be at the spout.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Sep 9, 19 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one on my TT bike - total piece of crap. Small volume, very hard to drink from, only way to get fluid out is by squeezing the bottle hard. When you squeeze it, the volume is now smaller - so when you place it back in the bracket it rattles and may fall out until it has gradually re-inflated itself so to speak. Currently setting my TT bike up for next year and will replace this with a traditional bottle cage and a round bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
they look fast, i may grab a couple for the road bike

I usually try to avoid telling others what to install on their bikes, but I'd suggest you not put these on your road bike (at least if you ride in groups).

I have this bottle on my TT bike and sure once you get the hang of it, you can generally get it in and out without incident, but it's nowhere near the easy and near-mindless process of a round bottle and standard cage, so you're much more likely to drop this bottle than a regular bottle, particularly in the scrum that is group riding.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one of those, installed on the bike, thinking: -" Hey, there's another marginal gain blah, blah...".
Used it on a few rides, then threw it out. My intention was to be able to actually use the bottle to drink while riding the bike. This bottle doesn't accomplish the task very well. Water pouring out from everywhere after a couple uses only.
So I did the same as most of the World Tour guys on their TT bikes, I'm on "normal" round bottles now.

Louis :)
Last edited by: louisn: Sep 9, 19 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like the newer elite tt bottle. Forget the name. 400ml.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Crono CX. I drilled a few holes in the plastic cage and I'd guess it's as light as the carbon one now. I've been using it since I saw Frodo using them several years ago. I never fill it above the fill line and I've never had problems with spilling or ejections. I guess if I had a leaking copy I'd just spend the $15 and get a new bottle.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question, is the Elite Crono CX faster on the downtube or the seattube? have mine on the downtube (Triathlon bike) and find it easy to use. If fast on the seattube, I'll move it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to test it to be sure. I have mine on the downtube and find it's hard enough to snap back into place after a drink.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Crono CX Aero bottles. [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Downtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked Jan Fordeno about the Crono he has on the down tube of his Canyon Speedmax how it tested in the tunnel for him and he said it was a zero impact aerodynamic addition.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next