Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy a Mac for half the price of a Shun or Glestain and be done with it, just don't put it in the dishwasher. IF Mac makes a santoku ...

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought an Adv 2 from advice on a Brit TT forum. I’d suggest any ST member also check some stuff out over in their forums.

Brand new, $60. That’s pretty affordable aero tech. Used, you can get one for like $20.

Skinsuits might not be ST stuff as I guess you wouldn’t swim in one, but they have good budget gear advice for that also.

I went with a Galibier.
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In regard to chain Lube- after reading fully the most recent Jason Smith testing, it is clear that the biggest factor in chain friction is dirt! The differential between wattage on a clean chain of different lubes is relatively small, approx 2.5 Watts from best to worst. Testing has also demonstrated that the friction can increase 5 watts or more in as little as 30 miles of riding. Based on this, I believe the most obvious, clear choice for a no brainer product is Lilly Lube. This Lube comes in top 5 of the clean chain tests, it is the least expensive per application, it is the easiest to apply (less than 90 seconds to fully clean and Lube), and most importantly it keeps the chain cleaner while riding than any other Lube, by far. I have used every Lube in the top 10 of the most recent and past tests (except olive oil!) and while I have not done friction/wattage tests, I am very aware of how clean my chain is. Lilly Lube is the only product I have ever seen that you can rub your fingers on your chain after a couple hundred miles of riding and have no black gunk on your fingers (as someone who rides a horizontal drop out, this is an amazing benefit). If, and when, Jason (ceramic speed) ever decide to publish friction data after 100 miles of riding, I am very confident Lilly Lube will go from top 5 to clear number 1. As a bonus, it is 100% USA made, in San Diego, by a company that believes in product first and does not throw many away on marketing hype.
I do not work for, or represent Lilly Lube, just was fortunate enough to try and test their product.
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
In regard to chain Lube- after reading fully the most recent Jason Smith testing, it is clear that the biggest factor in chain friction is dirt! The differential between wattage on a clean chain of different lubes is relatively small, approx 2.5 Watts from best to worst. Testing has also demonstrated that the friction can increase 5 watts or more in as little as 30 miles of riding. Based on this, I believe the most obvious, clear choice for a no brainer product is Lilly Lube. This Lube comes in top 5 of the clean chain tests, it is the least expensive per application, it is the easiest to apply (less than 90 seconds to fully clean and Lube), and most importantly it keeps the chain cleaner while riding than any other Lube, by far. I have used every Lube in the top 10 of the most recent and past tests (except olive oil!) and while I have not done friction/wattage tests, I am very aware of how clean my chain is. Lilly Lube is the only product I have ever seen that you can rub your fingers on your chain after a couple hundred miles of riding and have no black gunk on your fingers (as someone who rides a horizontal drop out, this is an amazing benefit). If, and when, Jason (ceramic speed) ever decide to publish friction data after 100 miles of riding, I am very confident Lilly Lube will go from top 5 to clear number 1. As a bonus, it is 100% USA made, in San Diego, by a company that believes in product first and does not throw many away on marketing hype.
I do not work for, or represent Lilly Lube, just was fortunate enough to try and test their product.

I agree that Lilly Lube is clean. However IMO the drive chain sounds noisy. Almost as if it’s under lubricated or not lubricated. So I question whether the lube is actually penetrating the chain pins.
Last edited by: Skyline Chili: Feb 26, 18 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I think can see your thought process but let’s be clear this is a best of the best shootout? Is price a factor? Because then the list changes. I’m just asking :) because I like what you’re doing here.

There is lots of tunnel data on various top end trisuits, and no one is testing the Desoto suit...because it’s not in the same league, and it’s more expensive. LG, Castelli and Cuore are at the top from a quality, aerodynamics and price point. Castelli sleeved suits can be had for much less than the flisuit, and with proven aerodynamics and comfort.

The AlphaX is an interesting one, it’s universally the best aerobars but it’s also the most expensive by a long shot. There I don’t see it as accessible to the average joe? If that makes sense?...just a thought and thanks for putting this amazing list together.

exxxviii wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
You can’t talk about budget when you put the AlphaX there.

I thought that might open a minor can of worms. Regarding the Alpha X, that is so universally loved no matter whom is advocating (fitter to aero tester), it seems to be unequivocally the best. But, there is probably a narrower delta between the helmets. You ought to start a list of the lowest cost incremental upgrade products. You could put the Bayonet 3 bars on that list.

Regarding suits, Opinions seem to be pretty well spread on those. This thread alone has seen multiple votes for LG, Castelli, and Kiwami. I had a Castelli and returned it. I do not there is as much consensus here. If consensus emerges, I am all over it. Until then, the lowest price should probably determine the selection.
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
The biggest factor in chain friction is dirt...I believe the most obvious, clear choice for a no brainer product is Lilly Lube.
Based on the studies I found and other related comments, I believe that Squirt is faster, even after contaminants are introduced. It is probably at the pointy end where the differences are minor. Lilly Lube is more expensive (at least on Amazon), which is also a detractor. The other wild card that could displace both is Premier's wax-based lube. I do not think it has been compared to Sqirt and Lilly yet. But its 16 oz bottle is a tremendous value.
EnderWiggan wrote:
Is price a factor? ... LG, Castelli and Cuore are at the top from a quality, aerodynamics and price point.
My intent was get the obvious easy recommendations selections. So, some spendy things like Alpha X seems to be so broadly recommended that it is worth it, even though it is expensive. Adding the Aerohead probably did dilute the intent, since it then leads to the high price and low price option. That makes it super complicated. Most would probably argue the Aerohead is better, but it is probably more of a tiny difference and probably not worth 3x the price.

Do you think there is a clear, obvious winner for a tri suit? If the Castelli, LG, Cuore, & Kiwami (also popular on ST) are at parity, and Castelli is the cheapest, then do you think that is the one? I have not really searched for comparative wind tunnel data between those suites. And, I have not researched whether suits are hugely individual, like helmets, when then relegates the choice back to cheapest that is likely to be one of the fastest for most body types.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course suits are highly individual. Just like helmets and pretty much everything else.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The noise may be based on application method. Lilly Lube recommends applying at least 12 hours before you ride, so I always apply AFTER my long rides, so it has plenty of time to wick into the pins and the solvents have evaporated. I apply weekly after my long ride for the week, so I typically go 150-300 miles between applications.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
The noise may be based on application method. Lilly Lube recommends applying at least 12 hours before you ride, so I always apply AFTER my long rides, so it has plenty of time to wick into the pins and the solvents have evaporated. I apply weekly after my long ride for the week, so I typically go 150-300 miles between applications.

I used it 3 times and each time I applied it 48 hrs. prior to riding. IMO it’s clean but that’s about it. I’m all about saving watts but I’m not willing to do so over at noisy drivetrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
So, some spendy things like Alpha X seems to be so broadly recommended that it is worth it, even though it is expensive. Adding the Aerohead probably did dilute the intent, since it then leads to the high price and low price option. That makes it super complicated. Most would probably argue the Aerohead is better, but it is probably more of a tiny difference and probably not worth 3x the price.

If you keep your eyed peeled, you can get an Aerohead for ~$125. That's not an outrageous price for a TT helmet, particularly since it includes a visor so you are effectively getting helmet+glasses. So I do think its inclusion on the list makes sense.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Feb 26, 18 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good, but I will point out it is roughly 50% more expensive than Rock & Roll Extreme (also a petroleum based lube), which tests out right next to it on the Friction Facts chart, and which does not seem to attract a lot of dirt in my experience.

$8.95 for 4 oz. on Amazon vs. $13.95 for 4.23 oz.
Last edited by: vjohn: Feb 26, 18 16:59
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ender - Are you referring to the Castelli Free Sanremo?

Strange that they're all sold out on Castelli's website. Guessing they're coming out with a new model soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
I am envious of this kind of thinking (and the list looks pretty solid!)

Personally, I'm the guy that reads 400 reviews on what's the best Santoku knife for the kitchen, finally pull the trigger (on an amazing knife that is way nicer than what I need) then immediately get almost debilitating cold sweats wondering if the other ones I looked at are better at slicing tomatoes. I'm like the non-homicidal Patrick Bateman.

(I never use the knife because it's too nice. My wife never uses the knife because it's too sharp.)

i think you and i may have been separated at birth.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic list. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Looks good, but I will point out it is roughly 50% more expensive than Rock & Roll Ultimate (also a petroleum based lube), which tests out right next to it on the Friction Facts chart, and which does not seem to attract a lot of dirt in my experience.

There’s no such thing as Rock-N-Roll “Ultimate”. Which one are you referring to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
vjohn wrote:
Looks good, but I will point out it is roughly 50% more expensive than Rock & Roll Ultimate (also a petroleum based lube), which tests out right next to it on the Friction Facts chart, and which does not seem to attract a lot of dirt in my experience.

There’s no such thing as Rock-N-Roll “Ultimate”. Which one are you referring to?

Sorry, "Extreme", I make that mistake a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:
vjohn wrote:

Sorry, "Extreme", I make that mistake a lot.

No poblem. Do you apply it as directed or do you apply one drop per link like most petroleum based lubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I think the better question in my mind lately has been, "Are people like me taking the fun out of the sport by making athletes over-think everything?" I mean, seriously, at this point we're not talking about large differences anymore. Most of what Triathletes argue over are a few watts that aren't significant to the big picture. Jesus F*&king Christ, just go have some fun together already.

Now, of course, there's this little guy on my right shoulder saying, "What's next in aero gains? Pedals, Seatpost/saddle interface? What is it? Muhaha!"

OTOH for some of us the geeky "overthinking" is fun in and of itself. And my "overthinking" gets me FOP bike splits out of my meager MOP geezer watts, that's fun. I'm still astonished at how many more watts it takes some folks to go the same speed as myself. I have mixed feelings about the OP's list, I think there's a place for a simple list of good equipment choices for those that don't like to obsess but his list is debatable, the Alpha X aero bar isn't a real good use of your $$ if you're on a limited budget, and the GP4000 is a good choice for the conservative rider but there are faster options if you're willing to increase your risk factor slightly.

The bigger problem I see is folks obsessing about little details like chain lube or if their bar tape is too thick when they have less than optimal positions and that's where they are leaving a lot of time on the table.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it both ways, I think it needs a bit more than one drop per link, probably two. I also do the plastic bag "hot box" technique to drive the lube into the pins & rollers. Then rotate a few more revolutions, then wipe. Generally good for a few hundred miles between applications. I clean (ultrasonic) the chain anytime it starts to look dirty, which is generally every 800-1000 miles, then re-lube.
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, lots of data to back up improvements in cda when switching to Castelli, Cuore and Kiwami. Castelli is updating the colours for this season, there are some pics out there. It’s just a thought for the list because I think you’ve got so much right, it’s one thing that stands out. The Aerohead is $125-$150, so certainly a bargain.

The only other is the Alpha, yes it’s the best in class, but it looks to me like we are trying to be reasonable in terms of costs, and we are talking maybe 10 secs over a 40km (tririg vs felt bayonet), looks like Tririg took down the old study showing the p2 plus felt bayonet was only 10 secs slower than the same p2 with the old Alpha.

Again, just a thought and thank you for compiling.

JonathanNYC wrote:
Ender - Are you referring to the Castelli Free Sanremo?

Strange that they're all sold out on Castelli's website. Guessing they're coming out with a new model soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
So, some spendy things like Alpha X seems to be so broadly recommended that it is worth it, even though it is expensive. Adding the Aerohead probably did dilute the intent, since it then leads to the high price and low price option. That makes it super complicated. Most would probably argue the Aerohead is better, but it is probably more of a tiny difference and probably not worth 3x the price.

If you keep your eyed peeled, you can get an Aerohead for ~$125. That's not an outrageous price for a TT helmet, particularly since it includes a visor so you are effectively getting helmet+glasses. So I do think its inclusion on the list makes sense.

Any links for the Aerohead at that price?
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quadlt250 wrote:

Any links for the Aerohead at that price?

The top four results on Google for "Aerohead MIPS" have it at $125. CC, Backcountry, Outdoor Chip, Jar of Gems. EDIT: Damn, only size small.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Feb 27, 18 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only in size small, darn
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last sighting was last month. They seem to pop up here and there.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Don’t Overthink: Just Buy These Products [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was limited colors and sizes, like now. Those deals look like they are eliminating slow-moving, old inventory. I have set to see one of the black helmets in M or L for a material discount. If I do ever see one, I will jump on it. IMO, a dirt cheap, good looking Aerohead is unobtanium.
Quote Reply

Prev Next