Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure about the aero profile on the Trispoke? It is my rememberance that it was similar to the Spin model in that the spokes were essentially oval rather than NACA spec airfoils, and that in general, the wheel was not all that fast.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you sure about the aero profile on the Trispoke? It is my rememberance that it was similar to the Spin model in that the spokes were essentially oval rather than NACA spec airfoils, and that in general, the wheel was not all that fast.

Chris

Well...if that was the case, it would work even further against your observations, right? ;-)

Thinking that the TriSpoke brand trispoke is no better than the horrible (aerodynamically speaking) Spin model is a common mistake. However, the only thing the 2 wheels "share" is the fact that the shape of the spokes when viewed from the side are somewhat tapered, in contrast with the straight spokes on the Specialized/H3 wheels.

When I first acquired my wheel I was curious about it's potential. So, I compared it to the original DuPont patent description and found that all the elements claimed in the patent (aspect ratios, depths, etc.) were actually present on the TriSpoke as well. Even the rounded leading edge/tapered trailing edge of the spokes is there (yes, the wheel is directional.) About the only thing that's different is that the total side area is slightly less (due to the "hourglass"-type tapering of the spokes when viewed from the side) and the fact that there's a pretty significant (IMO) lip at the interface of the composite rim and the aluminum brake track. I don't know if the spokes are an NACA profile exactly, but they are definitely more "wing shape" than just plain ovals.

Since that time, I've also found some old Chet Kyle data that includes the wheel, with not only zero yaw measurements, but also at least one measurement at yaw (10 degrees IIRC). It's not as good as the H3 at yaw, but it's no slouch either. At zero yaw, it's basically equal to an H3.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 29, 08 22:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional info, Tom. It's been a great many years since I have seen one at all, and I believe it was only during a race that I saw it then, so the wheel was spinning and I probably could not reliably infer anything.

I am not sure what to make of your 0 yaw data, other than to say that it's essentially irrelevant. I test a zero yaw just to see what happens, but I make all of my assertions as to what is truly faster from my windy condition data. This may not be the right thing to do where you are from, but around here, windless days only exist before 8:00am, and even then can be hit or miss.

Looking at my zero yaw data I have:

Nimble Crosswind with 20c Vittoria Corsa Evo CX = we will call this the baseline
HED 60 with 16 spokes and 21c Clement Criterium = +2 watts
Zipp 404 with 16 spokes and 19c Vittoria Corsa CX = +3 watts
HED 90 with 18 spokes and 21c Clement Criterium = +3

This is for the CarbonAero fork. Not normalized for reduced Crr of tires. The Zipp is the only one that MAY have a butyl tube. The others are confirmed latex.

Same bicycle (Kestrel KM-40) but with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero:

Zipp 404 with 16 spokes and 19c Vittoria Corsa CX = we will call this the baseline
HED 90 with 18 spokes and 21c Clement Criterium = +2 watts
Nimble Crosswind with 20c Vittoria Corsa Evo CX = +5 watts

The Reynolds isn't the worst fork for the Crosswind, and the Oval is slightly closer (@ 4 watts) to the 404.

I forgot to mention that I tested the Look HSC 1 and HSC 2 forks as well. The HSC 2 is probably the best performing fork by weight, not that anyone cares too much about that.

Anyway, not sure there was really any point to this other than "what works for you is what works for you". This is the primary reasoning behind me only putting up the order in which things perform, rather than the magnitude of the differences. So many different things can effect the outcome that it's hard to make any inferences at all outside of the exact system you are running.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for the additional info, Tom. It's been a great many years since I have seen one at all, and I believe it was only during a race that I saw it then, so the wheel was spinning and I probably could not reliably infer anything.

I am not sure what to make of your 0 yaw data, other than to say that it's essentially irrelevant. I test a zero yaw just to see what happens, but I make all of my assertions as to what is truly faster from my windy condition data. This may not be the right thing to do where you are from, but around here, windless days only exist before 8:00am, and even then can be hit or miss.

Looking at my zero yaw data I have:

Nimble Crosswind with 20c Vittoria Corsa Evo CX = we will call this the baseline
Zipp 404 with 16 spokes and 19c Vittoria Corsa CX = +3 watts
HED 90 with 18 spokes and 21c Clement Criterium = +3

This is for the CarbonAero fork. Not normalized for reduced Crr of tires. The Zipp is the only one that MAY have a butyl tube. The others are confirmed latex.

Same bicycle (Kestrel KM-40) but with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero:

Zipp 404 with 16 spokes and 19c Vittoria Corsa CX = we will call this the baseline
HED 90 with 18 spokes and 21c Clement Criterium = +2 watts
Nimble Crosswind with 20c Vittoria Corsa Evo CX = +5 watts

The Reynolds isn't the worst fork for the Crosswind, and the Oval is slightly closer (@ 4 watts) to the 404.

I forgot to mention that I tested the Look HSC 1 and HSC 2 forks as well. The HSC 2 is probably the best performing fork by weight, not that anyone cares too much about that.

Anyway, not sure there was really any point to this other than "what works for you is what works for you". This is the primary reasoning behind me only putting up the order in which things perform, rather than the magnitude of the differences. So many different things can effect the outcome that it's hard to make any inferences at all outside of the exact system you are running.

Chris
If the most reliable powermeters are +/- 1.5%-2%- how are you able to discern and accurately record a 2, 3, or even 5 watt difference?
Last edited by: mlinenb: Aug 29, 08 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> Not normalized for reduced Crr of tires. The Zipp is the only one that MAY have a butyl tube...

Chris, thanks for sharing your test results.

What conclusions can we draw from your data?

I assume the tire width and tube variations make conclusions like wheel x is faster than wheel y with fork z impossible without backing out the Crr effects. But can we conclude that fork x is faster than fork y with wheel z (at zero yaw, anyway)?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Aug 29, 08 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [NGMN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any iteration of the Trek TT forks, or the current Quintana Roo forks both have the wider crown and leg spacing. As already mentioned the Blackwell Time Bandit and Kinesis Carbonaero should be good canidates. Finally, the Oval jetstream, though the vents are facing the wrong way, is a decent option due to wide spacing.

Will the HED3 not make that cool "fwah-fwah-fwah" sound as it spins in the right fork? How much energy do I lose for that?

-- Boris
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [kristiancyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Any iteration of the Trek TT forks, or the current Quintana Roo forks both have the wider crown and leg spacing. As already mentioned the Blackwell Time Bandit and Kinesis Carbonaero should be good canidates. Finally, the Oval jetstream, though the vents are facing the wrong way, is a decent option due to wide spacing.

Will the HED3 not make that cool "fwah-fwah-fwah" sound as it spins in the right fork? How much energy do I lose for that?

-- Boris

To be honest, it's my opinion that the "fwah-fwah-fwah" sound is more a function of hearing the spokes pass through the contact patch region than any interaction aerodynamically at the fork crown.

Think about how any deep, hollow carbon rim has a constant "fwaaaaaaaaaaah" sound as you go along. This is caused by the road imperfections inputting vibrations to the rim and the hollow rim acting as a "sound box". With a normal spoked wheel, there aren't any dramatic differences in the vertical stiffness as the wheel rotates so you get the constant sound, but with a trispoke type wheel, that's not the case.

But, like I said, that's just my speculation....

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

-- Boris

To be honest, it's my opinion that the "fwah-fwah-fwah" sound is more a function of hearing the spokes pass through the contact patch region than any interaction aerodynamically at the fork crown.

Think about how any deep, hollow carbon rim has a constant "fwaaaaaaaaaaah" sound as you go along. This is caused by the road imperfections inputting vibrations to the rim and the hollow rim acting as a "sound box". With a normal spoked wheel, there aren't any dramatic differences in the vertical stiffness as the wheel rotates so you get the constant sound, but with a trispoke type wheel, that's not the case.

But, like I said, that's just my speculation....

So all I am hearing is an echo of the wheel vibrating? I always thought that it had something to do with the spoke passing through the fork and creating funky air pressures/waves. That compression and decompression of air led to the fwah-fwah-fwah sound. At least that is what I thought (my own speculation). I don't mind it really. It's pretty cool and I'd give up a Watt or two of energy to hear it. :-)

-- Boris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, what exactly qualifies as a wide or narrow fork?
Does it mean the distance from fork to spokes/rim or the thickness of the fork front to back?
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [SurfnRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also, what exactly qualifies as a wide or narrow fork?
Does it mean the distance from fork to spokes/rim or the thickness of the fork front to back?
Distance from fork to rim. According to ST folklore, blade separation greater than 45mm at the braking surface is preferred with a carbon-bladed wheel.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW i just did a training ride yesterday with a HED 3 alu and a Blackwell Time Bandit (The non-UNI legal version) and the wheel was dead silent. No sound whatsoever. I'm going to try out the wheel with my other bike which has a reynolds ouzo pro aero to see if i can elicit some of that noise. (If i can't get the noise with the narrow fork i'm going to REALLY feel cheated!!) Now i don't know what it means aerodynamically.

I also noticed that the sideforce was not as great as i was expecting from sidewinds. I'm 140lbs and i rode the H3 front with a 32H open pro rear wheel and i was expecting all sorts of handling problems especially when the big lorries drove past in close proximity, but i did not find any significant difference in sideforces than with any other front wheel. I think the right fork might help with handling as well as aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Repeat runs in this case reduce the overall error significantly. You will notice that the error band and other descriptive statistics are not included here - I'm not trying to sell this data or claim it is correct. I am saying that this is what I have recorded for my own position on my own gear.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So....
I would be better off with a deep rimed wheel (Jet 60/90?).

Ryan
Engineer. Duathlete. Roadie. Human.
CAPA Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [DuGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion is yes.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks man...looks like I'll be cruising the classifieds for a while looking for my dream wheelset (Jet C2 60/90 <$1000) ;)

Ryan
Engineer. Duathlete. Roadie. Human.
CAPA Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wouldn't mind clarifying a bit further...

I finally found a 650 Reynolds Ouzo Aero fork for my P2C in the Cervelo-recommended 40mm rake. In your opinion, would a 60mm or 90mm rim be a better choice on the front?

Thanks,
Gene
Last edited by: geetee: Sep 5, 08 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a very large wheel test done on most popular wheels and some less popular ones. You can read the protocol on your own and make your own conclusions on whether that is the right way to test wheels or the wrong way. In short it seems to be an average of yaw range for each wheel with weighted average to compensate for angles rarely experienced while riding. The wheel is fixed on an inverted fork (does not look like a commercially available fork) and spun at speed. The tunnel speed is 50kph, which seems to be a general standard for testing.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html

I have done a lot of research on wheel aerodynamics, and one important piece of information (whose source(s) I can not recall) that it is better with a more narrow tire than a wider one <21mm. Other wheels are different in that a 21mm or 23mm tire helps the transition from rubber to rim.

A more simple point that I have often considered in debating this issue with myself and others is that the Postal/Discovery/Astana team has used the H3 when they could be using a Hed Stinger wheelset, but rarely if ever do. I am also aware that Zipp used to make spoked wheelsets, do not currently, and swear that they are using the fastest technology. I have no doubt that both wheels are fast- the results of Cancellara are testament to the speed of the Zipp wheels- and have heard multiple people talk about how H3's are more twitchy in high cross winds than deep section rimmed wheels. I also believe that some of Zipp's claims may be made because in order to go up against the wheel used by Lance in his tour domination (while Zipp was not producing a 3 or 4 spoked wheel), they needed to say that their wheel was just as fast if not faster. Lance and his crew (personal feelings towards them aside) was notoriously tough on equipment and pushed the envelope on performance. Money was not an object and they tested all wheelsets, and had options of 3 spokes and deep wheel sections, using the H3 in most circumstances. That has a lot of weight for basing my decisions on.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WORD...

Seamus, your long, lost teamate, dan mitchell

p.s. bet you never thought i would be grooving to TT threads, when I was a fat field sprinter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 90 will be faster in most real world occasions, but they are both very good choices.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [dylanmj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have no doubt that both wheels are fast- the results of Cancellara are testament to the speed of the Zipp wheels-

You were doing well, until this.

Xav

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [dylanmj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point, and that is why I've used a front H3 for the last seven years. However, I thought this thread was geared more toward fork/wheel interaction ("chuff") than the relative aero merits of a wheel in isolation.

My main concern with using a rim >60mm (which, in 650c, means either the Hed Jet or Stinger) is that it won't play well with the Reynolds fork.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked the Hed website and they don't make a 650 90mm Stinger. Put me down on the list of people lamenting the shrinking pool of 650c wheels.
Last edited by: geetee: Sep 6, 08 5:23
Quote Reply
Re: Dirty air w/HED3 vs deep dish? [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies. What I should have said was that if the Zipp wheels were so slow, that they wouldn't have enjoyed the successes that they have seen in the TT and triathlon world.

I also did not intend to hijack the thread with the wheels in isolation study. I do not believe however that a very slow isolated wheel will get dramatically quicker based on changing forks, unless that fork as been specifically designed to compliment that wheel's aerodynamic and pressure profile. As you move away from zero yaw, there will be less relative air passing between the fork and the wheel and turning the fork more into a faring covering the wheel.

Unless my logic is off, the principal difference between the drag of a 650cc wheel vs. 700cc wheel is that the aerodynamic properties of the wheel itself will be accelerated because the rotational wheel speed will be higher. The wheels will also begin to behave more like a disc.

Unfortunately the "local" wind tunnel can only test at zero yaw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The deeper 90mm rims play fine with the Reynolds fork. I run that configuration on my Softride pretty frequently and it runs every bit as well as a 404. Also - they are available in 90mm with an aluminum rim in the non-Jet model, you just have to be patient.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also - they are available in 90mm with an aluminum rim in the non-Jet model, you just have to be patient.

Non-Jet...you mean the Stinger? </confused>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread, and being an urban studies major ill admit the physics is somewhat over my head. I have a question.

I'm currently riding a standard road frame (07 allez elite) converted to tri geometry with no aero equipment other than aerobars, and after missing breaking 11 hours at IMMoo by 8mins ive begun looking into some wheel solutions (and not stopping to pee in future). Anyway, the question -

How well will a H3 paired with a standard, fairly non-aero road fork perform? Pics for reference if it helps -

Or is my money better spent on a standard deep dish front like a 404?

Cheers.
Last edited by: Flak: Sep 13, 08 13:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next