Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
nah, not overreacting. (I wish there was a way to convey tone of voice in text besides overusing smileys, but I digress).

I'm just saying, I didn't post this for everyone to feel included. I posted it for people to accept as a friendly competition, if that's something that appeals. It's only a dick measuring contest in the sense that ANY competition is one. It's a competition. Someone is gonna be fastest, and someone else is gonna be slowest.

Now, I've already set it up so that it's a little like golf. Anyone 60+ gets a roughly 10% handicap (SCY --> SCM). If you want to suggest something where people can also hit from the white tees, then feel free. I don't know what that would look like though.

It's all good from my end. Someone has to be slowest, and maybe my slowest times will give others lurking a bar to shoot for (ex: "I can beat that guy, but I'm not posting anything, I'll just go do it on my own").

I think by Oct 31 I'll have a few more times in. Today will be a bit sluggish after yesterday's 6200m in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didnt realize this was a swimming thread until I clicked on it yesterday..I thought it was you guys betting the kona race. I did a 2:43 this weekend for my 200IM in scm at a meet. Maybe I'll try to get some 50s in this week but I could probably just tell you what my times would be with reasonable accuracy.

I got the Form swim goggles about a week ago and have been using them in practice. I really like the app and being able to review my workout after the fact. There were a few glitches like it was recording my butterfly as breaststroke and you have to go into "drills mode" for kicking or drills which I tend to do a bunch of at the beginning of practice.

I dont think you need to do anything to generate more participation here just be welcoming to people who do finally participate.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
I didnt realize this was a swimming thread until I clicked on it yesterday..I thought it was you guys betting the kona race. I did a 2:43 this weekend for my 200IM in scm at a meet. Maybe I'll try to get some 50s in this week but I could probably just tell you what my times would be with reasonable accuracy.

I got the Form swim goggles about a week ago and have been using them in practice. I really like the app and being able to review my workout after the fact. There were a few glitches like it was recording my butterfly as breaststroke and you have to go into "drills mode" for kicking or drills which I tend to do a bunch of at the beginning of practice.

I dont think you need to do anything to generate more participation here just be welcoming to people who do finally participate.

Welcome to the club! Don't forget to post your age along with splits so I can add you to the leaderboard (especially age). If you wanna do it as a broken 200, then you can resubmit those times too.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll try to get some 50s in this week but I could probably just tell you what my times would be with reasonable accuracy. //

Ha, good one dude(or dudette). No, you don't get to tell us what you would have done, you actually have to swim them! (-; By the looks of your overall 200IM time you just did, it should be no problem to set up a main set of lots of easy stuff, with 4x50's fast in there. You get to dive on the fly only, the other 3 are push offs. It will actually be interesting to see how much faster you are by doing separate 50's with rest, you are the only one I think who actually raced a 200IM this month. And don't forget your age for AG awards..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Ok so I have some updated times Jason... ugh, ready?

Backstroke: 33.50 -- I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had good walls and that helps a ton. Had she said 32.5 I would have been shocked and had she said (the coach timing me) 34.5 I would not have been shocked. But there you have it. That freakin stroke... glad thats done.

Breast: 36.1 -- again, pleasantly surprised. I did it this am at the end of a 5k workout. Kind of feel like taking another crack at it but Im ok with it.

Now I need to do free and with a fly split of 27.5 I basically have to push a 24 to get around 200 for the 200 YARD im.. I know it isnt meters.

Im at 1:37.1 for the 150.. so correction. I would need to push a 22.9 to get 200.. HAHAHAHAHA...

Tomorrow am is my "distance swim day" typically we do 400s and higher .. so, I will be plenty warmed up to go for it. But NO WAY am I breaking 24 let alone 23!

If my free goes well and I crack a 24.5 or so, I may get up and dive in for another 50 fly and see if I cant take a second off there.

All for now, hope you had a great weekend.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Maybe I'll try to get some 50s in this week but I could probably just tell you what my times would be with reasonable accuracy. //

Ha, good one dude(or dudette). No, you don't get to tell us what you would have done, you actually have to swim them! (-; By the looks of your overall 200IM time you just did, it should be no problem to set up a main set of lots of easy stuff, with 4x50's fast in there. You get to dive on the fly only, the other 3 are push offs. It will actually be interesting to see how much faster you are by doing separate 50's with rest, you are the only one I think who actually raced a 200IM this month. And don't forget your age for AG awards..(-;
Yeah I’ll put the time in for the leaderboard. I think dev also did his as a continuous 2IM, just that he got splits.

Curious about those form goggles, if they do split tracking and wore them in the meet then use those splits. Otherwise he’ll be split less.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev and Jason,

not to put myself in the middle of your convo but here we go...

i wonder how many reading this thread actually tried it but then didn't post..? sure it's just a data point, but I would bet there are a couple.

Both of you have great points and this was a motivating challenge for me this month. And I have done the 100/100 too.

Long story short: we should do these things. Bc not doing them means no one takes part. If people silently do it, fine. If they are intimidated, sorry. But by not doing it, then there is zero chance we motivate ANY one. Swimmer or not.
I believe dev was just meaning or meaning to ask maybe(?) how we market this to get more participation. It's nice Dev! You're a nice guy!! But I think (politely) that isn't jason's responsibility.

Ok Ill shut up now and go for a run. See if my freakin leg will actually let me

daved

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I get that was Dev's angle, or I think it was anyway (correct me if I'm wrong there, bud..)

I guess my thing is that I'm just putting it out there because it's fun for me. If other's want to join in, then great! If not, well, I'm OK with that too.

As of now, we've got nearly 4300 views on this thing, so maybe there are people doing it and not posting (that's fine as well), or maybe it's just planting a seed in some folks that will germinate in the spring, or maybe it's just causing a bunch of people to mutter to themselves "look at those fools.." (that's OK too.....)

I would like to believe that there's a Vegas betting line on the outcomes here. I've got nearly 5 seconds to make up on Monty, wonder what odds I'm getting. ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wonder how many reading this thread actually tried it but then didn't post..? sure it's just a data point, but I would bet there are a couple. //

I was thinking the same thing, for every poster, there was a lurker that did some or all of the challenge, just because it was here. But yes, this was not a mass participation event, it was for a small % of the fishes still swimming right now. And a lot of the regulars are off now too, so really just a boost to the few of us looking for some distraction and motivation. I think Dev is looking for something like the 100/100, but other than the guppy challenges dan has promoted, pretty hard to get mass participation in swimming. OF course there are the total yardage ones, but that just doesnt go well with swimming fishes, and not really a metric we cue off of. Perhaps when it gets closer to spring, we could do a full virtual meet to coincide with masters nationals meets, that could get a lot more interested. Then we could have 1650's or 1500's, maybe even a 3k/5k. But unfortunately nothing we do here will ever surpass the guppy challenges, as in the real lakes, lots more guppies than big fish...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The goggles definitely do split tracking. You can set it up for 50 or 100 splits. It does flash 25 splits when you flip also but that is a little too much info I don't think the app records 25 splits. It is actually easy to ignore display especially when its sunny out The app is really good to review your swims after practice and records your total yardage and actual time swimming and every set is broken down with total time and splits. Wearing the goggles would be illegal and a DQ in a meet though. If I was a distance swimmer I would be tempted to wear them in a local meet and let them DQ me. The info is so valuable and a good training tool. I was doing some 300s in practice and coming in around 3:45 but reviewing my splits were like a 1:11 and a couple 1:17s so it told me the truth that my stamina sucks. Without the data I actually thought I was just cruising 1:15s at an even pace. thats scy btw

I have some real splits times from my 100s at the meet. 100 fly my first 50 split was a 32.8. and free I did a 31.4/33.7 so I will call it a 32.5. I cant beat those in practice so I'll submit those along with some back/breast times I'll do this week. For reference my 100IM time at the meet was a 1:15 but I don't think my broken 200 will be faster than 2:30. I don't know what that means I'm not a sprinter I guess. 53yo male
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like you could be first here --> https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

post your results there so we can get that party started...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post motivated me to do a timed, max-effort 50 back for the first time in about 35 years. And I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I've been working on improving my technique recently, mostly via sets of hard, but not all-out 25's. A year ago, my 25 back repeats were as slow, and sometimes slower, than similar breaststroke sets. I've seen some improvement, but didn't really realize how much faster I'd be on a 50 back vs 50 breast.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to believe that there's a Vegas betting line on the outcomes here. I've got nearly 5 seconds to make up on Monty, wonder what odds I'm getting. ;-) //

No more than 2 to 1. Suit up and you got 4 seconds right there, then hold your breath one extra time on each 50, and you have me crushed. Just don't wait until the night of the 31st to post it, you gotta give me one last chance!! And was wondering what some of the fishes think is a good handicap for a full race 200IM off of split 50's? I'm only going to be 64 this year, so the old fuck in the fast guys ocean still. Used to be after 60 you were home free, tops 10's were just a matter of hard work and some persistence. But looking at last years nationals for 60-64, I would have had to swam a 2;19 or better for top 10. I just don't think I can do that anymore, what the hell is going on out there!

I think with some more sprint training(vs absolutely 0 up to now) I could maybe get the virtual just under 2;10. Do we think that maybe 9 seconds is possible for the full? I think that may be wishful thinking, probably just have to wait for another year to the 65+ AG. But the fast times have not only followed me through the decades, they have accelerated!
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re safe for at least one more day. Practice tonight was a lactate tolerance thingy, 200 flat out, then 2x50 recovery, then 2x100 flat out on 1:50 then the recovery again, then 4x50 flat out on :50 2 50s recovery, then 8x25 flat out on 30. I was just trying to keep down my dinner by the time we got to the 50s.

I had nothing left for another fast 50.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Yeah, I get that was Dev's angle, or I think it was anyway (correct me if I'm wrong there, bud..)

I guess my thing is that I'm just putting it out there because it's fun for me. If other's want to join in, then great! If not, well, I'm OK with that too.

As of now, we've got nearly 4300 views on this thing, so maybe there are people doing it and not posting (that's fine as well), or maybe it's just planting a seed in some folks that will germinate in the spring, or maybe it's just causing a bunch of people to mutter to themselves "look at those fools.." (that's OK too.....)

I would like to believe that there's a Vegas betting line on the outcomes here. I've got nearly 5 seconds to make up on Monty, wonder what odds I'm getting. ;-)

All good guys. Daved is correct, if it gives people the motivation to try privately and not post it actually still achieves its goal (just like FTP threads, if your FTP is 210W, you may go get motivated to get to 225W because some 355W guy only go to 365W....relatively speaking you beat him).

OK as you would expect after a big volume day I had no snap today. I only got to 44s on the 50 fly SCM and 43 seconds on the 50 free. I did not even bother with the back and breast today. I'll give all 4 a go each of the 3 remaining days but I don't think I'll get to the target numbers I put up earlier in the thread. If I can get to 42+49+55+40 that would be awesome (3:06 SCM with no dive for fly)...lets see.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 3 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok new entry - M/36/SCM

Today, first day working out in the pool since August (Masters takes a break for Girl's High School Season).

400 Mix Warmup
3x(3x50 Descend 1-3) #3 Fly 33 (push), #6 Back 33, #9 Breast 39)
3x(3x100, 50easy) Round 1 first 50 free of 3rd 100 Fast Free :32, Round 2 IM avg 1:24, Round 3 Pull 1:12 avg

2000m

33/33/39/32 - 2:17

I'll take that considering the circumstances...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 3 more days to post your times up. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Ok new entry - M/36/SCM

Today, first day working out in the pool since August (Masters takes a break for Girl's High School Season).

400 Mix Warmup
3x(3x50 Descend 1-3) #3 Fly 33 (push), #6 Back 33, #9 Breast 39)
3x(3x100, 50easy) Round 1 first 50 free of 3rd 100 Fast Free :32, Round 2 IM avg 1:24, Round 3 Pull 1:12 avg

2000m

33/33/39/32 - 2:17

I'll take that considering the circumstances...

Crap, if i thought I was already slow, at the rate we are going we're going to have Lochte and Phelps show for this.

By the way for your 10x400IM workout, how much rest between 400's? (I did 13x400IM + 1x200IM on my 54th birthday), kind of inspired by your talk about 10x400IM as one of your old workouts. One of the older Ontario Gents Andy Ritchie raced the Montreal Olympics at age 17 and did a 4:28 400IM on the old rules and we're joking around that the Andy Ritchie approved version is 25x400IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 3 more days to post your times up. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm - short course (yards) they were probably on a 1:10 base, so 4:40 and long course a 1:20 base so 5:20. I'd guess on a set like that it was probably 15-20 second rest, though it varied because sometimes there was descending involved. i.e. descend 1-4, hold 5, descend 6-9 faster, hold 10. Other times it'd be rotating through the 100 fast of each stroke, or 50/50 fast smooth, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 3 more days to post your times up. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok OCT CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Did my dist workout this am
Main set was:

475 on 6
500 on 6
450 on 6
500 on 6
425 on 6
500 on 6

THEN I did my 50 free, leg cramps and all ha.

So IM complete.
Thanks Jason for organizing this.

daved

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 3 more days to post your times up. [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well done.

I'm sliding down the leaderboard. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get in the pool before the end of the month. I usually swim Sun / Mon / Thurs, but this week isn't working out like that. Sunday night I couldn't make it to masters (wife had a date with her girlfriends) so I went to lane swim instead and had to share with a couple of ladies who I was lapping every 100m or so just doing steady stuff. I wasn't about to sprint as hard as I could. and Thursday is Halloween, so not swimming then either.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 3 more days to post your times up. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... I was poking around the interwebs looking for a training log template that I could use for swimming. Trainingpeaks isn't really built for it so I might have to roll my own.

came across this link - https://swimmingwizard.com/tools-for-coaches/

at the bottom of the page there's a section called Jon Urbanchek's Excel Sheets for Aerobic Distance Training. So I click on it, just expecting a basic template. Little did I know that this would be populated with times and initials. you might recognize some of them (you were at Michigan, right?). Little gold mine from the past...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
hmm - short course (yards) they were probably on a 1:10 base, so 4:40 and long course a 1:20 base so 5:20. I'd guess on a set like that it was probably 15-20 second rest, though it varied because sometimes there was descending involved. i.e. descend 1-4, hold 5, descend 6-9 faster, hold 10. Other times it'd be rotating through the 100 fast of each stroke, or 50/50 fast smooth, etc.

OK at my ability level and age I was targeting 30-40 seconds of rest. Not sure I'd survive on 15-20.

I kind of equate this to the 10x1 mile workout I used to do when I was a half decent runner (for age grouper).
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 3 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Wisconsin Badger thank you very much.

But yes, on the 300avg set page this is, Erik Vendt, Peter Vanderkaay, Michael Phelps, Klete Keller, Mark Warkentin maybe?, Haley Piersol. Kalyn Keller's on there too too. Matt Patton is on the 400 test page. Connor Dwyer, Davis Tarwarter on the 200 test page. Man that's a good find.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
I'm a Wisconsin Badger thank you very much.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for my transgression.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would like to believe that there's a Vegas betting line on the outcomes here. I've got nearly 5 seconds to make up on Monty, wonder what odds I'm getting. ;-) //

No more than 2 to 1. Suit up and you got 4 seconds right there, then hold your breath one extra time on each 50, and you have me crushed. Just don't wait until the night of the 31st to post it, you gotta give me one last chance!! And was wondering what some of the fishes think is a good handicap for a full race 200IM off of split 50's? I'm only going to be 64 this year, so the old fuck in the fast guys ocean still. Used to be after 60 you were home free, tops 10's were just a matter of hard work and some persistence. But looking at last years nationals for 60-64, I would have had to swam a 2;19 or better for top 10. I just don't think I can do that anymore, what the hell is going on out there!

I think with some more sprint training(vs absolutely 0 up to now) I could maybe get the virtual just under 2;10. Do we think that maybe 9 seconds is possible for the full? I think that may be wishful thinking, probably just have to wait for another year to the 65+ AG. But the fast times have not only followed me through the decades, they have accelerated!

Looks like you win. I gave the breast leg 2 more attempts this evening, improved a little bit (43 and 42.5)! Which I think gets me down to a 2:17.

Ah well, next time....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next