Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Concept2 RowErg [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally bought it a couple of days ago. Right now I am trying to learn how to use it properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
I finally bought it a couple of days ago. Right now I am trying to learn how to use it properly.

Checkout dark horse rowing, row along, and training tall on YouTube.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:
Archibald wrote:

I think I watched all the videos before I bought it and thought, well, this looks is easy. Wrong. I signed up for the Dark Horse membership, which offers instructional videos, training plans and most important feedback on your technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
daustin wrote:
Archibald wrote:

I think I watched all the videos before I bought it and thought, well, this looks is easy. Wrong. I signed up for the Dark Horse membership, which offers instructional videos, training plans and most important feedback on your technique.

I still training for some gravel bike events so not much hard rowing. But I’ve been just following along with beginner workouts and/or technique focuses workouts for now where I’m doing like 10-20 easy sessions but trying to get the feel for it. I am finding following along with the YouTube videos and trying to mimic their technique is helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread because I'm looking into getting a Concept2. What are your thoughts now that you've had it for awhile?
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got one a few months ago. I have used it in streaks. It's a great workout and with good technique it's definitely a whole body workout. I can get my HR up quite high, which surprised me (it shouldn't have, but it did).

If Peloton introduces a rower soon, however, we will probably get one of those and sell the Concept2. The interactivity is what sells Peloton hardware, and the Concept2 does not have that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
Resurrecting this thread because I'm looking into getting a Concept2. What are your thoughts now that you've had it for awhile?

As an added note, just like a stationary bike trainer, a great fan or two can really increase your enjoyment by an order of magnitude if you put in any long pieces.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I got one a few months ago. I have used it in streaks. It's a great workout and with good technique it's definitely a whole body workout. I can get my HR up quite high, which surprised me (it shouldn't have, but it did).

If Peloton introduces a rower soon, however, we will probably get one of those and sell the Concept2. The interactivity is what sells Peloton hardware, and the Concept2 does not have that.

Check out the Apple Fitness rowing program. That’s interactive and built by a national team rower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

There were rumors of Zwift adding rowing, but then COVID and I suspect that Zwift put all their resources towards cycling.

On a related note, has anyone found a good app to use while rowing? I’ve been using the Ergdata app on my iPhone, which tracks my basic rowing data and heart rate, but it would be nice to have something more interactive.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The app EXR is closest thing to Zwift for rowers. It’s only been around a short time so I don’t think there will be a ton of rowers on at one time.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

There were rumors of Zwift adding rowing, but then COVID and I suspect that Zwift put all their resources towards cycling.

On a related note, has anyone found a good app to use while rowing? I’ve been using the Ergdata app on my iPhone, which tracks my basic rowing data and heart rate, but it would be nice to have something more interactive.

I did a trial of Kinomap. It was ok. I did not pay to continue subscribing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a guy that wants to try rowing as another alternative to running but does not want to spend on a Concept 2. Is there another cheaper option? I also don't like a subscription model for workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are definitely cheaper rowers out there, but I think what sells the Concept2 is the durability, ergonomics, and wide availability. You could probably find one used fairly easily. For example, if we get a Peloton rower when it comes out I'm going to list a barely used Concept2 for probably 750-900 bucks (paid maybe just over $1000 shipped). So you don't lose much money on them as they don't depreciate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:

No regrets buying one. I am using it for morning workouts. I am getting back into it after a few weeks off training due to Covid, doing the Pete Plan (the beginner option) and I think it is great addition to my bike training. For me personally I don´t mind that there isn´t a Zwift or whatever option, because I don´t mind looking at a simple graph and I am so focused on my form that I don´t need it anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:

I've had one for 25 years (Model C). Very durable, low maintenance, but it is not a substitute for running. It will keep you aerobically fit and give you some upper body work but it's more complimentary to cycling as it's mostly a leg/quad exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who want to have their Concept2 simulate a cyclist on Zwift , I found an app called RowedBiker. You link your PM5 to you phone and you watch Zwift on an iPad . It’s pretty cool .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read good reviews about Horizon's top level machine but they are not easy to find. Was looking to try to find one with financing like Peloton's but can't find that anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
For a guy that wants to try rowing as another alternative to running but does not want to spend on a Concept 2. Is there another cheaper option? I also don't like a subscription model for workouts.

Some things to consider when comparing prices for devices... how long will it last, how well will it work, and what can you sell it for if you tire of using it? Hands down, the Concept 2 is the least expensive rower when considering cost per year of faultless service and retained value at resale.
Last edited by: Mudge: May 13, 22 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about to put my Concept2 (Model E with PM5 monitor) for sale if anyone in the Jacksonville, FL area is interested. Bought at the end of 2019.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
svennn wrote:

Some things to consider when comparing prices for devices... how long will it last, how well will it work, and what can you sell it for if you tire of using it? Hands down, the Concept 2 is the least expensive rower when considering cost per year of faultless service and retained value at resale.

and on top of that, if you ever do need parts, the consumables are very reasonably priced and readily available.

Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men's Health had a an article a while back "You can't call yourself fit unless you can pass these 7 tests". Two of them were rowing.

500 in 1:30
2k in 7:00

I had never rowed prior to this year. I'm 5'7 on a good day so not a terribly long pull. Hitting the two benchmarks above are proving to be much more difficult than I anticipated. I'm probably able to hold a 1:45 pace for 500 at best. Don't know that I've ever hit a 1:30 even for a few seconds. So if you're getting into rowing and want some legit challenges to work towards...there you go.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Men's Health had a an article a while back "You can't call yourself fit unless you can pass these 7 tests". Two of them were rowing.

I had never rowed prior to this year. I'm 5'7 on a good day so not a terribly long pull. Hitting the two benchmarks above are proving to be much more difficult than I anticipated. I'm probably able to hold a 1:45 pace for 500 at best. Don't know that I've ever hit a 1:30 even for a few seconds. So if you're getting into rowing and want some legit challenges to work towards...there you go.

A 500 in 1:30 and 2k in 7:00 is way easier for a large rower than a smaller one since it's based on total watts not watts/kg so it's not fair to use across a size span.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peloton officially announced their rower “coming soon” today. No pricing or release date yet that I’ve found.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:

Yea that's a ridiculous standard.

I'm 5'11 and 155lbs and the best 500 I've done (as an adult onset rower) is maybe 1:45. The 40min 10k row was a much more satisfying thing to strive for.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Peloton officially announced their rower “coming soon” today. No pricing or release date yet that I’ve found.

Pelo Buddy has estimated 2500ish, which I find very steep. A rower is not a complicated machine; the Tread and Rower should not be the same price.
Quote Reply

Prev Next