Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Concept2 RowErg
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Concept2 RowErg. Still undecided. Please talk me into buying one. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [Archibald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy one. You won't regret...

Until someone suggests something else.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are horrible devices, but you should definitely get one! Way too much time spent staring at myself in a mirror using one. I’d get one if my wife didn’t loathe those indoor hours of erging so much.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned one for about 4-years and love it. Reasonably priced & very low maintenance (I oil the chain one a month and replace the batteries in the PM5 monitor every couple of years.) Great full body workout -- especially legs & core. I use it two or three days a week -- 3-4 hours total time. Definitely helps my cycling. The company was founded and is run by rowers who have developed a terrific international community of like minded folks. Rowing is a technique sport, and Concept2's website has tons of videos & other info to help you get started and stay motivated. There's a good reason why Concept2 is used by virtually every prep school & college rowing program. BTW, although I live in Vermont, I don't work for or have any financial interest in Concept2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horrible. Hateful. Wouldn't use it as anything more than a clothes hanger.

But indestructible if you decide to use it, sport standard if you want to rank pieces and know where you stand, and great resale value if you want to get rid of it.

My view is through a glass, darkly. Like Nate I spent far too much of my life and sweat, vomit, and blood on C2s. I never, ever want to get on one again. If I was buying an erg for myself, I'd buy an RP.

But I am buying one for my wife as somehow she does not have the same feeling towards it as I do in spite of having rowed nearly as long as I did. If she uses it, great, If not, we'll not lose on the transaction when it's turned over. But I know that it'll hang clothes well, it'll give our kittens somewhere to launch attacks from, and if, when hell freezes over and I feel like getting on an erg again, I'll know it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [joj4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joj4444 wrote:
I've owned one for about 4-years and love it. Reasonably priced & very low maintenance (I oil the chain one a month and replace the batteries in the PM5 monitor every couple of years.) Great full body workout -- especially legs & core. I use it two or three days a week -- 3-4 hours total time. Definitely helps my cycling. The company was founded and is run by rowers who have developed a terrific international community of like minded folks. Rowing is a technique sport, and Concept2's website has tons of videos & other info to help you get started and stay motivated. There's a good reason why Concept2 is used by virtually every prep school & college rowing program. BTW, although I live in Vermont, I don't work for or have any financial interest in Concept2.

Do you do „easy“ sessions on the C2 and interval work on the bike or the other way around or is it a mixture? I thought that getting on the C2 in the morning for 20-30 minutes and then after work on the bike.

How did help your cycling?
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scored a super-cheap one a couple of years ago for my daughter to supplement her HS crew training.. and she promptly quit crew. After it sat in the garage for a while I upgraded the PM3 to a PM5 and replaced some worn/corroded parts, started using it myself and it kicks my ass - legs, core, upper back, cardio. I alternate with Zwift sessions, so 2-3 sessions/week.

Get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the erg, I do about 25% easy steady rowing, about 25% intervals (mostly 5 or 6 X 1500 or 2000 hard with 500 recoveries) and 50% moderate effort varying strokes per minute every 1000 or 2000. For SPM I generally do 22,24,26 & sometimes 28 if I'm feeling frisky.

The biggest benefit for my cycling has been improved leg & core strength -- most evident in climbing. It might not be as noticeable if I had a weight training program, but I've never done anything other than a few planks & some pushups.

Your idea of a short row in the AM with cycling in the PM is similar to what I do several days a week except that I often do a longer row in the morning and an hour spin on the bike later in the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all fairness if there's a better all around indoor exercise and machine I don't know what it is.

Just spent far too much of my life going backwards, and I spend a lot of hours every week trying to help people go backwards faster so I don't want to come home to it (or even look at them when I go downstairs at work!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine! I have a dynamic and it’s awesome:). Great company to work with. You won’t regret it. Right now I am rowing on the water, but late fall through late spring, I use it a ton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a Ski Erg and use it a tun. My whole family uses it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been wanting one for a while for no good reason and finally got one last November. I used it 2-4 times a week since then until about end of May. My main thoughts are:
- I find using it to be absolutely brutal for some reason. I just can’t figure out how to go “easy” on it, so anything I do I’m in z4 HR (compared to running; so it’s even higher if I compare with cycling).
- I do feel like it’s a good workout when I do it, kind of like cardio cross fit with emphasis and legs and VO2Max if you will
- I stopped using it for now because I’m within a few months of IM and I feel like if I have time for something other than planned SBR, I might as well just ride easy or do functional strength. I’m sure I could swap some of them for rowing but because of the first thing I mentioned, I feel like it will be a random taxing workout vs trying to go with the plan (which I’m doing)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Concept2 RowErg. Still undecided. Please talk me into buying one. Thank you.

You won't regret it.
I am back into rowing on the C2 after nearly 6 years of dedicated triathlon training secondary to a nasty leg fracture and not being able to run.
It will make you suffer initially, just doing 20 mins was super tough despite having a solid base going into it 2 months ago.
Now I am hitting numbers I have never hit before starting triathlon and I am sure it is benefiting my cycling and swimming, and hopefully will make running somewhat easier when I am finally allowed to again.
There are lots of good websites and youtube channels out there.
My fav would be dark horse rowing on youtube.
The Concept2, esp with a PM5, is awesome in terms of what it can do and show you.
I did my first half marathon this morning on the C2, 1:27:18....average pace of 2:04/500m.....pretty darn happy with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Archibald wrote:
Hello,

So have you purchased one yet? I’m considering one too.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, not yet. I will next month.

Thanks to everybody for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
In all fairness if there's a better all around indoor exercise and machine I don't know what it is.

Just spent far too much of my life going backwards, and I spend a lot of hours every week trying to help people go backwards faster so I don't want to come home to it (or even look at them when I go downstairs at work!)

I realize you're prob talking strictly about "indoor exercise machines" but, if you actually meant "indoor exercise" in general, then I would argue that swimming uses at least as many muscle groups as rowing, espec if you swim all 4 strokes. If you mean strictly indoor machines, then take the "and" out of your 1st sentence. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny, for some reason I don't click with pool swimming as an indoor sport!

Indoor sport for me is simulation - so the equivalent for me as indoor swimming Vs erg would be a Vasa or similar, or bike a trainer Vs on road.

Yep, moving the goalposts... Pool swimming transfers better for me to open water far better than ergs to rowing... With a wetsuit I'm faster in open water then I am in a shortcourse pool according to last night's OW 'race'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get what you’re saying, and I agree that swimming is one of the best all around, all body and aerobic exercises. But I literally never swim indoors so I don’t associate it with indoor exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it!
Most of my friends have a C2 and that makes it cheap for me as I just hang out in their garage for my rows or I use the one at my gym after treadmill runs. Resale can sometimes be higher then MSRP when they run out of stock and the wait times are months away. Crossfitters will buy them the same day they hit FB Marketplace.

When I have to do treadmill runs I hit the C2 Rower after to balance out the hamstrings that don't get worked as much as they do when road running.

Its great for finishing back day or leg day in the gym. Like running the times are almost comparable. A 5K on the rower is almost the same as my 5K run on the road. Its weird.
For fun you can watch this while you row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0XguaVkRyY

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:

This x2....

Never owned one but used them a lot at a gym I used to belong to, when I used to lift regularly, and when I used to race more . . . (in other words, quite a few years ago).

For me it was the most perfect warm-up... Just 5 mins and every muscle group is hit.

For longer workouts, I definitely think it helped my bike climbing, w/all the leg-driving motion. But like the other poster mentioned, I could never do an easy workout on it. It always hurt, in a good way, mostly.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any of you folks bother to use the C2 Logbook and rank their best times? Slowtwitch has a club affiliation slot in their athlete profile but so far as I can tell I think I'm the only one using it.

I've been battling a shoulder issue that keeps me out of the pool and the current red tide issue on the west coast of FL has me out of OWS options too. So now I'm a Bike / Row guy for a while. The C2 does a great job of balancing out the TT bike stresses and it's great for rainy / hot days.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
It's funny, for some reason I don't click with pool swimming as an indoor sport!
Indoor sport for me is simulation - so the equivalent for me as indoor swimming Vs erg would be a Vasa or similar, or bike a trainer Vs on road.
Yep, moving the goalposts... Pool swimming transfers better for me to open water far better than ergs to rowing... With a wetsuit I'm faster in open water then I am in a short course pool according to last night's OW 'race'

Well, obv you can swim indoors or outdoors but many elite swim meets, such as this Oly Trials and the Oly Games themselves, occur indoor pools. And of course, for the majority of the U.S., the winter/spring/fall swim seasons are all indoors. But whatever...:)

Quote Reply
Re: Concept2 RowErg [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I get what you’re saying, and I agree that swimming is one of the best all around, all body and aerobic exercises. But I literally never swim indoors so I don’t associate it with indoor exercise.

Do you swim 12 months per yr and where do you live??? Most places in the U.S. you have to swim indoors if you want 12 months of swimming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
dktxracer wrote:

Do you swim 12 months per yr and where do you live??? Most places in the U.S. you have to swim indoors if you want 12 months of swimming.

he lives in texas and has a 25 yards pool in his backyard
Quote Reply

Prev Next