Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cody Beals [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all the fanfare Sanders receives, it's pretty wild that a guy like Beals just flys under the radar. Hopefully, his success continues in Kona.//

Ok now, can we dispense with flying under the radar and no one talks about him now? Over 3000 hits in a day or so, and we are about to go to page 3 on replies. At the very least, he has many fans here, not too many pros get this type of attention. Take a look at the Anne Haug thread, she smashes a big race, has a 3rd in Kona to greatest of all time, and is a threat to win, one reply, mine. Now that is under the radar.... (-;
Last edited by: monty: Aug 19, 19 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody is a Kona rookie, Lionel held the lead in Kona only two years ago until the closing miles... Unless the sport goes more mainstream, Kona finishes = coverage you get

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
For all the fanfare Sanders receives, it's pretty wild that a guy like Beals just flys under the radar. Hopefully, his success continues in Kona.//

Ok now, can we dispense with flying under the radar and no one talks about him now? Over 3000 hits in a day or so, and we are about to go to page 3 on replies. At the very least, he has many fans here, not too many pros get this type of attention. Take a look at the Anne Haug thread, she smashes a big race, has a 3rd in Kona to greatest of all time, and is a threat to win, one reply, mine. Now that is under the radar.... (-;

Haug has to be one the the greatest under the radar athletes. Another one that comes to mind is David Mcnamee. Is this guy under a rock until Kona every year?
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will occasionally post his workouts on social media. I recall seeing a 42km treadmill run and a couple of 6 hour, 5200+kj indoor trainer rides to his instagram in the build to IMMT. My impression from his instagram is that he is primarily indoor-based, and those are crazy trainer and tmill wkos. So, like lionel, he trains indoors... but his setup seems much more spartan.

He should get more props from the "staring at a wall in your unfinished basement while training for 6 hours is a measure of your awesomeness" crowd here on ST than he does.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is great that Cody is getting a well deserved recognition of his win!
Bravo Cody! I like to have a “good” “nice” guy to cheer for. Wishing him a great race in Kona!
It will be interesting to see how he does against top guys in the sport. His three wins were wisely chosen races in a build to Kona. If he recovers and has a smart little build (maintenance), he has a good top 8 shot (that does not mean he cannot podium). There is a lot of talent. In Kona, so I wouldn’t bet the the farm on him to win.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longrunhome wrote:
I sincerely hope not but I wonder if coming out has hurt Cody with regards to getting sponsors or fans. I know that in 2019 it should be an non issue but I don't think it is.

Didn't know this fact. Into the pink....Since Lionel likes to mimic athletes who beat him (frodono went vegan, then did Lionel).... Will Lionel become homosexual to win Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Good point. Since Cody is off the radar in terms of YouTube videos and the like, he doesn't get all the feedback (some negative) that Lionel receives.

I thought Sanders had an awesome race coming off an injury. It was very impressive and it was likely far from his best. Probably it was his best that day, but it will take time for him to regain his form completely.

In terms of his running gait, I did not see a limp. His stride was shortened, but cut him some slack as he's running an IM and coming off injury. Hopefully Sanders doesn't cook himself going into or at Kona. In my opinion, I'm not sure he can get into peak form, after doing one IM less than 2 months from the WC. The timing of his recovery places him at a disadvantage relative to guys like Lange and Frodeno, and perhaps even someone like Beals.

Scottxs wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Cody Beals is very likeable...….. For all the fanfare Sanders receives, it's pretty wild that a guy like Beals just flys under the radar.

If he (Beals) hops on social media that will stop. Sanders receives fanfare because he is pretty transparent making him an approachable guy even if you never meet him.

I think that is good for the sport when the Pro's make themselves available even if its on social media. What other sports out there can amateurs share the same venue at the same time with the Pros?

FWIW, Cody is very active on Instagram, much more so than Lionel and many others. Instagram is a great medium that doesn't require lots of extra time for editing etc and one thing I know he focuses on is time efficiency. Could be why he doesn't have a YouTube presence.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Cody was coming off an injury as well.

I don't know the difference - if any - between when Lionel was able to return to full training vs Cody's time. On results it would appear that Cody was back running before Lionel.

Lionel seems to be ruled by emotion. Cody tends toward his engineering / plan and execution approach. Both have their (dis)advantages.

Cody should try to leverage his wins by building a bigger social media presence to grow his brand value / sponsorships.

He's already laid down the 'total transparent pro' narrative (professionally and personally) to go with his unbeaten IM record.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Cody should try to leverage his wins by building a bigger social media presence to grow his brand value / sponsorships.

The question is does he need to do this. He seems to be doing very well and I think his racing speaks for itself. I believe he has a pretty good winning formula, sponsors that he is happy with and maybe bigger sponsors and more sponsors take away from his winning formula. Should always maximize your earning potential as the sport has a short lifespan but sometimes more is not better.

Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:

I don't know the difference - if any - between when Lionel was able to return to full training vs Cody's time. On results it would appear that Cody was back running before Lionel.

Lionel seems to be ruled by emotion. Cody tends toward his engineering / plan and execution approach. Both have their (dis)advantages.

He's already laid down the 'total transparent pro' narrative (professionally and personally) to go with his unbeaten IM record.

Not sure when Cody got injured, or if he was. His schedule this Spring and Summer was: 703 Taiwan, Challenge Cancun, 70.3 Victoria, Eagleman, and IMMT.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He had to miss Roth due to injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody trains hard, smart, and is very transparent, which people are slowly starting to notice and follow. He's got a bright future and look forward to following his success.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I really hope that he changes his kit, though. Absolutely hideous.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought so.

1poseur1 wrote:
Agreed. I really hope that he changes his kit, though. Absolutely hideous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody beats Lionel and now it's open season on Sanders with several posters. Maybe just the usual haters? Can't we love them both?
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Scotttriguy wrote:

Not sure when Cody got injured, or if he was. His schedule this Spring and Summer was: 703 Taiwan, Challenge Cancun, 70.3 Victoria, Eagleman, and IMMT.

He had an Achilles injury. First major injury of career. Hobbled through run at Victoria and Eagleman. Pulled out of Roth (which was probably a good thing)

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I just wanted to pop by to say thanks for all the discussion and support! I just read through the entire thread.

I'm currently taking a much-needed vacation in rural Quebec and doing my best to unplug and focus on recovery. I really enjoyed my AMA after IMMT last year, but I can't commit to one now. All the excitement, screen time and navel-gazing isn't exactly conducive to recovery! With less than 8 weeks to Kona, I need complete focus. I wanted to share some thoughts here before truly unplugging for the week.

I really surprised myself at IMMT! My season before this had been a grind. A nasty illness in March followed by a string of related injuries (basically the first of my career) led to a DNF at 70.3 Taiwan, lackluster performances at Challenge Cancun, 70.3 Victoria and Eagleman, and a DNS at Roth. Not surprisingly, my level of passion and enjoyment for the sport took a hit.

Lead-up & Changes

Leading into IMMT, I made some important changes. I took my training philosophy of "minimum effective dose", shared by my coach/mentor David Tilbury-Davis, to the extreme. A lot of pros and coaches are "maximalists" in that they consider optimal training load to be one hair below the level that leads to overtraining, burnout and injury. I take a different view. I consider long course training and racing to be unhealthy in many ways, practically toxic. So I aim to train as little as possible while still progressing as an athlete and achieving my goals. I could elaborate more, but this is the essence of the "minimalist" training philosophy I've been increasingly committed to.

In the 12 weeks before IMMT, I only averaged 17 hours per week of training. Given an achilles injury, there was a bias towards cycling and swimming and I only averaged about 52/km of running with a some weeks closer to zero.

Another important change was returning to training mostly alone. I enjoy the social aspect of training with the many awesome athletes in Guelph, but I realized that I was often compromising on workouts or pushing too hard. Training alone is dull (especially since I train mostly indoors) but I accomplish precisely and specifically what I need to do. I also reaffirmed my long held belief that I never need to push sessions past 90% effort in training. Truly all-out efforts are very finite resource that I have to safeguard.

I also changed my practices around recovery. I still take a more reactionary than proactive approach to recovery, rarely planning days off/easy in advance. But I embraced taking far more days off/easy on an as needed basis without the guilt or anxiety this used to trigger. If I woke up and felt like taking the day off, I just did. As a result of cutting out most of the truly miserable training, I felt a lot fresher and sharper throughout this block.

Another related change was prioritizing sleep above all else. I consider sleep the single best use of my time. I've struggled with insomnia for a decade and always viewed sleep as my greatest limiter. In this block, I stopped trying to fit my day around other people's schedules. I slept and woke whenever I felt like. I deliberately cleared morning commitments from my schedule when possible and stopped trying to make the early swim squad. This led to some weird days where I'd wake at 10-11am and sometimes finish training as late as 11pm! The bottom line was that I was averaging more sleep than ever before (~9 hours/day).

Come race week, I had a strong sense that I was either on the brink of a personal best performance or complete blowout. I felt extremely anxious until I arrived in Tremblant, then oddly calm. I was confident that my swimming and cycling were stronger than ever, but my running was a huge question mark. I was prepared to limp across the finish line like my last two races or even be forced to walk. I popped a naproxen on race morning and hoped for the best, which is a terrible strategy!

Execution

It was a great day for me, though no race is ever perfect!

I was second out of the water again, swimming very comfortably in the chase pack. I two beat kick most of the swim, other than a painful opening 400 metres. I marked Andrew Yoder and Antony Costes on the start line and didn't even try to hang with Antoine Jolicoeur-Desroches.

I separated myself from the pack early in the bike. Lionel caught up very quickly, which didn't surprise me given his swim-bike focus. His ride was extremely impressive! To put it in perspective, I had to average 10-15 W more than my bike course record last year and I still lost 5 minutes! I hung with him until 130 km before making a strategic decision to let him go, otherwise I'd be walking the marathon! I was so paranoid about the slightest insinuation of drafting that I was usually 15-30 meters behind him, which is stupid and not a good idea in Kona!

I was so relieved that the injuries I'd been working through (Achilles tendinosis, ITB friction syndrome) didn't really bother me on the run. I actually had a feeling of fluidity that had been missing from my running for months.

To be honest, I'd all but conceded the win when I barely made up any time on the first lap. My attention started to wander and km 21-31 were probably my slowest. I started to convince myself that a conservative finish for 2nd was smarter with Kona on the horizon. That's when I spotted the 1st place pace biker up ahead. It's as if my legs picked it up without any input from my already defeated brain! After a decisive pass, I made a point of enjoying the closing section a lot more than last year, having not a clue that I was on pace for sub-8 hours or a run course record.

I was confident that I was capable of this run after controlled and unpressured sub-2:50 runs at IMMT and IMChoo last year. I just didn't expect it to happen now after such inconsistent run training. I'm still analyzing all this with David as there are obviously some lessons here to guide my approach going forward.

Other Thoughts
A few other comments in response to points in this thread:

-Lionel is a class act. He was so gracious. I've always looked up to Lionel. We're strikingly different in some ways but I can relate to him quite a bit. I admire that he was so combative when he could have raced much more conservatively for his Kona slot. I'm kind of terrified every time I race Lionel, but he's undoubtedly elevated my game more than any other athlete.

-No, I didn't deliberately win by 7 minutes. Yes, it would have been smarter to win by 7 seconds instead. But people act as if athletes have accurate real-time position data and situational awareness every second of the race! My brain isn't firing on all cylinders after 8 hours and I'm not taking any chances! The last few km were controlled.

-Related to the above, I don't believe that racing a hard IM this close to Kona is a liability. I probably performed better at IMChoo 6 weeks after IMMT last year. I didn't go all-in with training during this block, saving something for the next two months.

-Yes, I could do a better job with self-marketing and social media. I could undoubtedly make more money or grow my following if I hussled harder. But that's absolutely not why I'm in this. As I've discussed in my annual budget posts, I strive for minimalism and simple living. Making more money or having more followers wouldn't enrich my life or my level of happiness, perhaps even the opposite.

I also have a love-hate relationship with social media. As much as I love all the meaningful and positive interaction, making myself transparent and vulnerable takes a toll, especially as a very sensitive and introverted person. I'm happy with the balance I'm striking now. I put a lot of myself out there. Other stuff, I keep to myself for the sake of my mental health, relationship, personal life, etc. I'd love to find more time to blog and vlog, but triathlon already takes up too much of my life!

907Tri wrote:
This guy is now 3-0 in Ironman races in the past year (got 2nd in a challenge full distance earlier this year).

Not quite. 3-0 at the full distance, period. Challenge Cancun was a half.

Anyways, hope you found something insightful or entertaining in this rambling post. Thanks for the platform. I'm off on vacation now. :)

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So great to have you here.

This is great perspective on your prep for this race and your overall training goals.

Thank you!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughtful post!! Best of luck in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time to post here!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing.

PS - love the kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Cody Beals ... Congrats on another epic performance! The big dance in October will be entertaining!

Also......What did Lionel say to you at the finish.. In Talbot's video, it sounds like Lionel says "F*** You" like three times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a class act Cody. I already think you are way more transparent and generous with your time than you need to be - and it tremendously benefits the community. Keep doing you and ignore the haters.

Congrats on the W and best of luck in Kona!
Last edited by: blayze: Aug 20, 19 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race Cody, and glad to see you have finally learned the less is more lesson. I think at the very end of that interview with you and Lionel, I can hear you say to him that he seemed to do quite well on the less program too..Knowing this, I give you better odds in Kona now. People that get this, can do a lot more high quality racing, because they don't burn race efforts on the training grounds.

Was also good to see you ride out of your comfort zone to hang with Lionel, you will absolutely have to do that in Kona, and just like you did here, reevaluate 80 or so miles in. Hanging with the pack and setting up for a fast run, often has a guy passing a lot of people to a top 5 finish. Another fan here(for a long time actually), who cant wait for your big debut...
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I give you better odds in Kona now...

Like...what kind of odds. lol :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next