Re: Cody Beals [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing that.

Best slowtwich post I've ever read.

Enjoy the rest/recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time for the ST powers that be to do a Cody Beals feature. I think with his posting here today there was a lot of great information provided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
907Tri wrote:
This guy is now 3-0 in Ironman races in the past year (got 2nd in a challenge full distance earlier this year).

Not quite. 3-0 at the full distance, period. Challenge Cancun was a half.
<mic drop>

As always, thanks for taking the time for the insightful post. Best of luck in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two really nice guys to cheer for at Kona. Canadian triathlon is definitely looking great. Really hoping Cody and Lionel do well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [nogluten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Cody Beals ... Congrats on another epic performance! The big dance in October will be entertaining!

Also......What did Lionel say to you at the finish.. In Talbot's video, it sounds like Lionel says "F*** You" like three times.

Forgot to add the quote I was responding to.
Lionel said fucking awesome and fucking machine. One of the fucking statements was a misfire, but he definitely said it 3 times.
Last edited by: Calchemma: Aug 20, 19 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing race. Can't wait to see you guys all face off in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now thats a great writeup, paired with a great race! Well done, enjoy the rest!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Hey, I just wanted to pop by to say thanks for all the discussion and support! I just read through the entire thread.

Legend. Goodluck in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. Sounds like you and your coach have things dialed in. Looking forward to watching you in Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Cody - sure sounds like you've got a good handle on what works and doesn't work for you and how you're framing your life - makes it hard to beat someone who measures success away from the podium - I too ascribe to the 'bare minimum effort' approach to life...so much less pressure, so much more enjoyment.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the write up Cody. Now relax, recover, and rededicate for Kona. It’s going to be an awesome race.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job Cody, I was a bike catcher at IMMT Sunday. Great execution of the run to come out on top with a new course record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks so much for the post Cody!

congrats on that killer win and best of luck in Kona.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that may be the most meaningful piece I’ve read here. Recover well, best of luck in Kona!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Cody, a very well written, intelligent, and insightful response to the ST banter. Very much looking forward to watching Kona, and wishing you all the very best for a great race :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:

I popped a naproxen on race morning and hoped for the best, which is a terrible strategy!

Hello Cody,

I have to congratulate you for your race on sunday. However I must say that the sentence quoted above leaves me bitter. While I appreciate your transparency, know that Naproxen is allowed by antidoping rules and also know for a fact that you are not the only pro using this kind of "strategy", I must argue and say that this is too far in the grey zone. You should not race if you need to use a painkiller.

Some will disagree and say that everything not prohibited is allowed. One point of antidoping is to protect equity (yes you can tell me that everybody could/should to that!) but another is to protect athletes themselves and inhibiting pain signals with a drug is not something to take lightly.

I hope that you will hear this feedback and agree that this behavior is not necessary to win races.

Antony Costes

- Antony Costes -
PhD in Biomechanics / Professional Triathlete (9 pro wins)

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it."
Lord Kelvin
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Cody Beals. What a great post! I appreciate your positive energy, attitude and insights. It was very helpful for me. Good luck with everything in your future training and races!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Hey, I just wanted to pop by to say thanks for all the discussion and support! I just read through the entire thread.

I'm currently taking a much-needed vacation in rural Quebec and doing my best to unplug and focus on recovery. I really enjoyed my AMA after IMMT last year, but I can't commit to one now. All the excitement, screen time and navel-gazing isn't exactly conducive to recovery! With less than 8 weeks to Kona, I need complete focus. I wanted to share some thoughts here before truly unplugging for the week.

I really surprised myself at IMMT! My season before this had been a grind. A nasty illness in March followed by a string of related injuries (basically the first of my career) led to a DNF at 70.3 Taiwan, lackluster performances at Challenge Cancun, 70.3 Victoria and Eagleman, and a DNS at Roth. Not surprisingly, my level of passion and enjoyment for the sport took a hit.

Lead-up & Changes

Leading into IMMT, I made some important changes. I took my training philosophy of "minimum effective dose", shared by my coach/mentor David Tilbury-Davis, to the extreme. A lot of pros and coaches are "maximalists" in that they consider optimal training load to be one hair below the level that leads to overtraining, burnout and injury. I take a different view. I consider long course training and racing to be unhealthy in many ways, practically toxic. So I aim to train as little as possible while still progressing as an athlete and achieving my goals. I could elaborate more, but this is the essence of the "minimalist" training philosophy I've been increasingly committed to.

In the 12 weeks before IMMT, I only averaged 17 hours per week of training. Given an achilles injury, there was a bias towards cycling and swimming and I only averaged about 52/km of running with a some weeks closer to zero.

Another important change was returning to training mostly alone. I enjoy the social aspect of training with the many awesome athletes in Guelph, but I realized that I was often compromising on workouts or pushing too hard. Training alone is dull (especially since I train mostly indoors) but I accomplish precisely and specifically what I need to do. I also reaffirmed my long held belief that I never need to push sessions past 90% effort in training. Truly all-out efforts are very finite resource that I have to safeguard.

I also changed my practices around recovery. I still take a more reactionary than proactive approach to recovery, rarely planning days off/easy in advance. But I embraced taking far more days off/easy on an as needed basis without the guilt or anxiety this used to trigger. If I woke up and felt like taking the day off, I just did. As a result of cutting out most of the truly miserable training, I felt a lot fresher and sharper throughout this block.

Another related change was prioritizing sleep above all else. I consider sleep the single best use of my time. I've struggled with insomnia for a decade and always viewed sleep as my greatest limiter. In this block, I stopped trying to fit my day around other people's schedules. I slept and woke whenever I felt like. I deliberately cleared morning commitments from my schedule when possible and stopped trying to make the early swim squad. This led to some weird days where I'd wake at 10-11am and sometimes finish training as late as 11pm! The bottom line was that I was averaging more sleep than ever before (~9 hours/day).

Come race week, I had a strong sense that I was either on the brink of a personal best performance or complete blowout. I felt extremely anxious until I arrived in Tremblant, then oddly calm. I was confident that my swimming and cycling were stronger than ever, but my running was a huge question mark. I was prepared to limp across the finish line like my last two races or even be forced to walk. I popped a naproxen on race morning and hoped for the best, which is a terrible strategy!

Execution

It was a great day for me, though no race is ever perfect!

I was second out of the water again, swimming very comfortably in the chase pack. I two beat kick most of the swim, other than a painful opening 400 metres. I marked Andrew Yoder and Antony Costes on the start line and didn't even try to hang with Antoine Jolicoeur-Desroches.

I separated myself from the pack early in the bike. Lionel caught up very quickly, which didn't surprise me given his swim-bike focus. His ride was extremely impressive! To put it in perspective, I had to average 10-15 W more than my bike course record last year and I still lost 5 minutes! I hung with him until 130 km before making a strategic decision to let him go, otherwise I'd be walking the marathon! I was so paranoid about the slightest insinuation of drafting that I was usually 15-30 meters behind him, which is stupid and not a good idea in Kona!

I was so relieved that the injuries I'd been working through (Achilles tendinosis, ITB friction syndrome) didn't really bother me on the run. I actually had a feeling of fluidity that had been missing from my running for months.

To be honest, I'd all but conceded the win when I barely made up any time on the first lap. My attention started to wander and km 21-31 were probably my slowest. I started to convince myself that a conservative finish for 2nd was smarter with Kona on the horizon. That's when I spotted the 1st place pace biker up ahead. It's as if my legs picked it up without any input from my already defeated brain! After a decisive pass, I made a point of enjoying the closing section a lot more than last year, having not a clue that I was on pace for sub-8 hours or a run course record.

I was confident that I was capable of this run after controlled and unpressured sub-2:50 runs at IMMT and IMChoo last year. I just didn't expect it to happen now after such inconsistent run training. I'm still analyzing all this with David as there are obviously some lessons here to guide my approach going forward.

Other Thoughts
A few other comments in response to points in this thread:

-Lionel is a class act. He was so gracious. I've always looked up to Lionel. We're strikingly different in some ways but I can relate to him quite a bit. I admire that he was so combative when he could have raced much more conservatively for his Kona slot. I'm kind of terrified every time I race Lionel, but he's undoubtedly elevated my game more than any other athlete.

-No, I didn't deliberately win by 7 minutes. Yes, it would have been smarter to win by 7 seconds instead. But people act as if athletes have accurate real-time position data and situational awareness every second of the race! My brain isn't firing on all cylinders after 8 hours and I'm not taking any chances! The last few km were controlled.

-Related to the above, I don't believe that racing a hard IM this close to Kona is a liability. I probably performed better at IMChoo 6 weeks after IMMT last year. I didn't go all-in with training during this block, saving something for the next two months.

-Yes, I could do a better job with self-marketing and social media. I could undoubtedly make more money or grow my following if I hussled harder. But that's absolutely not why I'm in this. As I've discussed in my annual budget posts, I strive for minimalism and simple living. Making more money or having more followers wouldn't enrich my life or my level of happiness, perhaps even the opposite.

I also have a love-hate relationship with social media. As much as I love all the meaningful and positive interaction, making myself transparent and vulnerable takes a toll, especially as a very sensitive and introverted person. I'm happy with the balance I'm striking now. I put a lot of myself out there. Other stuff, I keep to myself for the sake of my mental health, relationship, personal life, etc. I'd love to find more time to blog and vlog, but triathlon already takes up too much of my life!

907Tri wrote:
This guy is now 3-0 in Ironman races in the past year (got 2nd in a challenge full distance earlier this year).

Not quite. 3-0 at the full distance, period. Challenge Cancun was a half.

Anyways, hope you found something insightful or entertaining in this rambling post. Thanks for the platform. I'm off on vacation now. :)

When you get back, maybe you or David T can answer this:

1. Did you measure your Hematocrit on this 17 hrs program
  2. I bet its higher than on the super high volume program. There is a reason why Tour de France cyclists take an illegal blood bag on the second rest day....the hematorcit is plummetting to the floor on that high volume+high intensity

Congrats.

Sub 8 on a course with 6000 ft of bike climbing to my knowledge has never been done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-No, I didn't deliberately win by 7 minutes. Yes, it would have been smarter to win by 7 seconds instead. But people act as if athletes have accurate real-time position data and situational awareness every second of the race! My brain isn't firing on all cylinders after 8 hours and I'm not taking any chances! The last few km were controlled.

-Related to the above, I don't believe that racing a hard IM this close to Kona is a liability. I probably performed better at IMChoo 6 weeks after IMMT last year. I didn't go all-in with training during this block, saving something for the next two months.

Are you sure? A lot of experts here know for a fact that you did these wrong so you should listen to them...

Congratulations on a great race, I'll be cheering you on in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe explain pink means youre being sarcastic?

Would be great if there were more winning pros giving such a thorough humble and honest updates here and taking time to respond to questions
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the awards banquet on Monday,Cody was articulate, warm and a pleasure to see up on that top step holding that way too heavy three level box trophy. He talked about Mt Tremblant and going there as a child and how special the event is for him. btw: mustaches are IN this year apparently.:-)

awesome post Cody - thanks for taking the time
hopefully i'll get to congratulate you on your Kona win next year when everyone is in Penticton ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I’m curious what you think this late season performance may do to Cody’s chances at Kona. You seem to have a good pulse on the impact a hard IM (or, perhaps more specifically, a fast run split) may have on Kona performance.

(I forget for which pro but...) I may have quibbled with you that a hard IM in May or June would impact an October Kona performance, but now we are only ~6 weeks away and that would certainly seem to be in the danger zone. Thoughts??
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals [Tigre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigre wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:

I popped a naproxen on race morning and hoped for the best, which is a terrible strategy!

Hello Cody,

I have to congratulate you for your race on sunday. However I must say that the sentence quoted above leaves me bitter. While I appreciate your transparency, know that Naproxen is allowed by antidoping rules and also know for a fact that you are not the only pro using this kind of "strategy", I must argue and say that this is too far in the grey zone. You should not race if you need to use a painkiller.

Some will disagree and say that everything not prohibited is allowed. One point of antidoping is to protect equity (yes you can tell me that everybody could/should to that!) but another is to protect athletes themselves and inhibiting pain signals with a drug is not something to take lightly.

I hope that you will hear this feedback and agree that this behavior is not necessary to win races.

Antony Costes

Hey Antony, sorry to hear that you had a tough day out there. I hope you're able to bounce back quickly.

I had planned to be offline for the week, but your post was brought to my attention and I felt it required an immediate response.

First of all, please know that I share your views about anti-doping, specifically the belief that so-called "grey area" practices (such as using non-prohibited prescription medication in an off-label, non-medically necessary manner to enhance performance) are against the spirit of the sport. I've never had a TUE and I'm very critical of how some athletes abuse that program. I also take a very minimal approach to supplementation and medication, sticking to basics and deliberately avoiding anything remotely contentious, regardless of WADA status.

All that said, I've never, ever come across the opinion that Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) like naproxen or ibuprofen could remotely be considered "grey zone" practices. Naproxen is fully permitted both in and out of competition according to WADA rules. Furthermore, naproxen is more accurately classified as an anti-inflammatory, not a painkiller. In that regard, it's not unlike the use of ice or compression gear. I too have an ethical objection to the abuse of heavy-duty painkillers by endurance athletes, such as recent cases in the pro cycling world. NSAIDs are a very common class of medication which are available over the counter in most of the world and, in my experience, are used by the majority of athletes to manage injuries and inflammation. Personally, I only take naproxen or ibuprofen in small doses for brief periods of time (<3 days) to manage acute injuries.

My sports doctor is a staunch anti-doping advocate who consults for WADA and other anti-doping authorities. I believe she also has zero objections, professional or ethical, to the use of NSAIDs.

Antony, I have tremendous respect for you as another up-and-coming athlete, but I believe that you're misinformed on this specific issue. I don't feel the need to defend myself, but wanted to express my opinion. I'd welcome anyone to add their thoughts on this.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@cody - Awesome writeup, and HUGE congrats. You completely deserve all the kudos and results you are getting this year, and it's been fun to follow along your (strangely low-key) winning performances this year.

Was wondering if you could comment on:

- Did you do any sort of regular strength training during this training cycle? (I know you haven't in the past.)

- Did you pay attention to 'postworkout fueling'?

Both of these questions come directly from having listened to Matt Dixon's Purplepatch podcasts about training as well as from currently following his 'Fast Track Triathlete' plan currently, and he holds strength training and postworkout fueling as two key pillar features of his philosophy, so wondering if that's played any role in your performances. Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next