Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
And the assumption is Cam is ignoring his run for many months when he clearly is not. Lionel has been explicit that he's been avoiding his swim.

His Strava data suggests he is ignoring his run. 16k per week for the last 10 weeks, with 3 weeks of zero. Same time last year, he was smashing it - 80 to 100k weeks.

IMO, purely in terms of winning Kona (which is all he seems to want from Triathlon), another year of massive swimming & running volume was required. But, I certainly do not begrudge the guy for what he has done this year, for himself & his family.

I know I may sound old school and totally out of touch with the present, but what if he didn't record all his runs on Strava? Is that really totally out of question?

This is what I was getting at. Does everyone actually record every workout all the time these days? I only record key workouts that I want to look back at. But maybe he records every step to see his overall training load if he does a lot of easy workouts all over the week around his key bike training and he wants to see their cumulative impact. Old school method you just recorded all those by hand.

Dev

Podcast he did with Bobby Julich

https://www.velonews.com/...-racing-as-training/
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow_bob wrote:
He has already finished three grand tours though, so riding such big race isn't really that new for him. Riding one with one of the biggest teams might be different though.

So he has!

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/cameron-wurf

Apparently he was on LeakyGas/Cannondale - when they were sort of a big deal and had Basso, Sagan & Nibali on the roster; before Nibbles went to Astana

https://www.procyclingstats.com/...igas-cannondale-2011

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Oct 21, 20 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

He wont improve his bike time at Kona but he will miss an opportunity to be a runner or swimmer for three months

Ineos domestiques set the tempo and blew the peloton up in stage 1. Wurf was part of that. And over the next 16 stages he will find himself in a break and he will similarly work to blow the field up for Carapaz. But, yeah, he could have been in the pool instead training for Kona 12 months off. True that.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Christian Van Velde keeps refrering to him as Cam the Triathlete.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

I know, it’s hilarious. He’s been doing some impressive work these past 2 days as well as in the other races he’s started in the last couple months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
And the assumption is Cam is ignoring his run for many months when he clearly is not. Lionel has been explicit that he's been avoiding his swim.

His Strava data suggests he is ignoring his run. 16k per week for the last 10 weeks, with 3 weeks of zero. Same time last year, he was smashing it - 80 to 100k weeks.

IMO, purely in terms of winning Kona (which is all he seems to want from Triathlon), another year of massive swimming & running volume was required. But, I certainly do not begrudge the guy for what he has done this year, for himself & his family.

I know I may sound old school and totally out of touch with the present, but what if he didn't record all his runs on Strava? Is that really totally out of question?

This is what I was getting at. Does everyone actually record every workout all the time these days? I only record key workouts that I want to look back at. But maybe he records every step to see his overall training load if he does a lot of easy workouts all over the week around his key bike training and he wants to see their cumulative impact. Old school method you just recorded all those by hand.

Dev

Dev I do so few I have to, there wouldn't be much on strava for me !

Is a year of little running and biking really going to make a difference to an experienced triathlete when Kona is still some way off ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

Haha...Cam would have had enough time after today's stage to crank out a fast 1km transition run before Froome showed up at the finish line and then they could go get beers together. And Cam was only 6 min behind Dumoulin on a tough stage today. Tough day for Tom D.
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's doing great and its probably heaps more fun than training for an IM a year away and he's getting a pay day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Christian Van Velde keeps refrering to him as "Cam the Triathlete"

In much the same way that if you make ONE joke about Band Camp, you're marked for life as "That Flute Girl"

I heard today's commentary and he actually asked first "Can we call him 'Triathlete Cam?' 'Cam the Triathlete?'" But was quick to say "Good to see him doing Grand Tours again, after being away for a while"

Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CVV said yesterday something to the effect of "I bet all his triathlon buddies are jealous that he's at the front of the peloton in a Grand Tour, while they're sitting at home"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam can just go to the Veldrome in Bordeuax after this Giro is over and make sure he takes down Lionel's number on hour record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
CVV said yesterday something to the effect of "I bet all his triathlon buddies are jealous that he's at the front of the peloton in a Grand Tour, while they're sitting at home"

And today's CVV quote "one of the best domestiques in the peleton"

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Cam can just go to the Velodrome in Bordeaux after this Giro Vuelta is over and make sure he takes down Lionel's number on hour record.

They're in Spain, dude

I know it's confusing with both going on at the same time, and somewhat simultaneously, as well

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Cam can just go to the Velodrome in Bordeaux after this Giro Vuelta is over and make sure he takes down Lionel's number on hour record.

They're in Spain, dude

I know it's confusing with both going on at the same time, and somewhat simultaneously, as well

I know better than that....I meant to type Vuelta but had a Giro stream playing in the background and my fingers just typed Giro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Apparently he was on LeakyGas/Cannondale
Quote:
before Nibbles went to Astana
First of all, the correct nickname for Nibali is obviously "Nibbler," and second... "LeakyGas"? Really?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to the Vuelta, Cam and Froome look like they rode together 17 and 18 min back today on Formigal. That's the stage where Froome lost the Vuelta on the Contador+Quintana ambush in 2016! Today was the replacement for Tourmalet.

So France, now that they got their Grand Tour done, told the Giro to go away from Izouard and Vuelta to not have their Tourmalet summit both this weekend!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

First of all, the correct nickname for Nibali is obviously "Nibbler," and second... "LeakyGas"? Really?

Leakygas lololololololol
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [Boundless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha thats a good new thread or gameshow

Leaky gas
Greg lemons
Cuddle evans
Lance I Am Strong
Peter Sagging
Miguel In the Rain
Team Skai (thats european for pleather)
Matthew From the Pool
Michael Race Missin
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeans Void
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [Boundless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boundless wrote:
friskyDingo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Leakygas lololololololol

It's far from new

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...?post=773334#p773334

Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general reply to the thread. It appears that Wurf and Froome are riding lock step with each other on most stages.

Wurf is 116th overall and Froome is 114th. Both ~1:20 down on Carapaz on GC. Cam seems to be exactly where we would expect him. Froome, well hopefully this is all part of recovery for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Back to the Vuelta, Cam and Froome look like they rode together 17 and 18 min back today on Formigal. That's the stage where Froome lost the Vuelta on the Contador+Quintana ambush in 2016! Today was the replacement for Tourmalet.

So France, now that they got their Grand Tour done, told the Giro to go away from Izouard and Vuelta to not have their Tourmalet summit both this weekend!!!

Yes but in August seemed to have the virus under control. Macron looks like he is announcing a one month lockdown tonight. Some countries are taking it seriously!
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Yes but in August seemed to have the virus under control. Macron looks like he is announcing a one month lockdown tonight. Some countries are taking it seriously!

Indeed, in august and september virus control was reasonnably OK in France.

From October it went up vers seriously (apparantly as the consequence of a cold period end of september), and the gouvernement had to make serious changes to the policy, now up to a 4 week "full" containment to be announced tonight.

So, authorizing many peoples to gather in Briancon (you need to go through the city for Col d'angel, Izooard) and around Tourmalet was perceived by the government as not coherent, conflicting messages ....

Don't know what is the weather currently in the US, but one month after real cold (10° is "real cold" in France :-) be ready for a big virus wave :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Cameron Wurf is riding the Vuelta! [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Canada, and its colder (lots of days down around 5C or colder in most of the country) and we're trending at 2700 cases per day up from 1700 per day during the peak in the spring. Deaths now 30 per day vs 175 per day at the spring peak. Hospital capacity is 2 weeks or more ahead of deaths but from what I read locally, there is buffer here to manage more. We've gone back to stricter measures in parts of the country but it seems there is Covid19 fatigues and idiots are being Covidiots and not helping....oh well.

But we did not need to be geniuses to figure out that what France was allowing back in September during the Tour de France was going to bite eventually, but hey they got their Grand Tour in which is what they wanted even if cases back then were already rapidly rising and shooting past 10K per day, and they don't want other Grand tours showing up now. Its OK let's just call a spade a spade and enjoy the Vuelta.

But back to Cam at the Vuelta, the guy is doing just fine, he is getting paid, for what he is supposed to do, earning a paycheque and riding with his buddy Froome while in a lot of the world athletes are limited to almost no racing. It is a win for him. I am sure by Kona next year, he will be back on track. Or he will just keep racing pro cycling since this sport is happening and triathlon is largely dead without age groupers being able to race (it shows you that pro triathlon cannot exist without age groupers which means without deep pockets like PTO there is no pro triathlon...age groupers are the deep pockets that keep pro triathlon going in general).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Canada
My son live in Montreal, and apparently yes cold is coming

Yes Cam Wurf is doing well. Great job leading the peloton for long portions.
Hopefully (for us spectators) he will succeed to keep his swimming and running level to be competitive in Kona 21.

And I agree with you, it clearly show the dependency of LD Tri to age group participation, with no TV rights, limited interest from sponsors...

Tour, Giro, Vuelta occured
Kona did not... because not sustainable as pro only I guess
Quote Reply

Prev Next