Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I looked at this thing many moons ago. It was a very cool idea back then, but the concern was that thing would go into the spokes if given a good shake. Is it still the case?

You might be thinking of something else. I don't see how this would go in the spokes unless you forgot to attach it.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I mean...it's pretty cool, but what exactly is the real benefit.

You're still using a cable actuated system, which means cables and housings still need to be replaced and shift quality is impacted by dirt that gets into the system. Yes, you have a lot less cable to run and replacement seems like it may be easier...or not depending on how difficult it is to open up that electronic unit and run a new cable in there.

The beauty of di2 and etap is that once the system is set up, typically you just have to manage the batteries. With this system, you still have to manage the cables with regular maintenance, adjust cable tension at the barrel as needed, and still maintain the batteries. An electronic shift by this system isn't really going to be any more precise than a full cable system given it uses the same mechanics of cable and spring tension to move the derailleur compared to a motor that moves the derailleur and exact amount each time.

I'm not a total expert on all this stuff...but am I missing something?

Benefit: currently it would be the cheapest way to go electronic to help keep the bike within the UCI regs.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This with some tweaks plus TRP HY/RD = wireless hydraulic disc brakes!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies, I was riffing on an old Blazing Saddles line.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
I'm wondering the same thing. My 1x shifts fine. First time and every time. I tend to not mess with it. I don't mix cassettes either because I have a separate tri bike for hilly races (that's what my IA10 is for).

If you add this, you lose some weight of cable and housing but gain some weight of the boxes so that might be a wash or some extra grams.

But what is the real gain?

All of the extra weight in your wallet.
As compared to other E-shift systems.
💰💰💰

PS - Few people have a flat course Tri bike & a hilly course Tri bike.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, that. Love the Felt, but I love the SuperSlice more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been contemplating the D1x for my Cannondale F-Si. The goal would be to switch between a gravel and MTB cockpit with relative ease (external cable routing). Right now I have a 34-11-42 setup but I’d like to switch to SLX 12 speed with a 10-45 and use a 32 to for mtb and a 36 for gravel (and different chains).
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish somebody would make 12spd road cassettes that start at 11 and fit on a normal freehub. Sunrace makes some for MTB, but none for road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could this be used for the rear brake? Then you wouldn’t have a single cable ran thru the frame if using Etap. I could completely remove my aero bar when traveling. You have front still mechanical as a safety. Ever since I’ve gone etap I’ve thought about how can you get wireless braking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I wish somebody would make 12spd road cassettes that start at 11 and fit on a normal freehub. Sunrace makes some for MTB, but none for road.

I agree, probably a good market opportunity. An 11-40 12 speed cassette would be pretty versatile.... now that I think about it, the indexing is in the shifters so in theory something like a long-cage Force 11 Speed derailleur could be used for a 12 Speed setup (with the correct chain and cassette).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really want to pop that shifter open and solder in some cateye buttons.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see why something similar couldn't be done, but it's a very different application. You'd want progressive movement for modulation; not digital steps. And progressive feedback at the lever.

I'd just ditch the rear brake... the front one does all the stopping anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I agree, probably a good market opportunity. An 11-40 12 speed cassette would be pretty versatile.... now that I think about it, the indexing is in the shifters so in theory something like a long-cage Force 11 Speed derailleur could be used for a 12 Speed setup (with the correct chain and cassette).

You can use any derailleur that can handle the span. I've heard even long cage 105 and Ultegra 11 will do 40t.

I don't think I'd ever use a 40t on a TT bike, but it would be cool to have close ratios and a largish span for semi-hilly courses. Something like 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,24,28,32.

I think the beauty of the D1x is that someone just needs to make 12spd road cassettes that fit on 11spd freehubs, and you're in business. Don't need a whole new drivetrain of proprietary parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

YES! THIS! I'd gladly take a 11-32:11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28,32. Do I need it no, but I ride A LOT in the 16t, as well as really liking the 32.

Actually an 11 speed, 12-32 would probably be a lot more useful for most of my training.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With some quick soldering, you could easily connect some eTap Clics and then put the remote on your stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s get a poll going on 12 speed cassettes for 11 speed free hubs :)
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I would say compared to etap - almost as easy to install, WAY cheaper .

Is it really though?? I have a blip box and RD (you obviously need a RD even if you buy this system). I have no expenses associated with wires as I don' have a single wire. I don't have a single blip or clic. So, my 1x etap set up cost me $375 (admittedly, ebay). This system costs $379, plus you still need a RD and wires and shifters.

I see advantages here, but pure finances isn't, I think, the biggest drawing point.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
average etap build vs this...yes, absolutely cheaper.

You have a pared down build and bought ebay. Kudos for doing it on a budget and building your ideal setup, but most people wouldn't consider shifting from a blip box a full install.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The average person is not getting a Sram Etap RD and blip box for that price and basically a one off opportunity. Even your paired down option is double at regular pricing.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 30, 19 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right but I was comparing fairly apples to apples (the stuff I bought was new, not used—in fact, a blip box right now goes for under $200). That $359 doesn’t include RD, FD, wires, shifters etc. I had a average etap build before I pared down. It wasn’t that much more money than what I currently have and it certainly wasn’t WAY more than this universal set up. If you compare a 1x set up on each (so if I bought clics or blips) it is still around the same amount of money for both set ups.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
older version blip boxes are very easy to get at $200 now--that isn't a one off. One advantage of buying a more widely available, big brand name product like sram etap is discounts/sales etc. Because this product is specialized you are always stuck paying full retail. I do this with my tri/bike clothing--I pay the equivalent of full retail clothingprice from a custom retailer knowing I can never get a discount from that retailer even though I could get a huge discount on a similar product by De Soto or the like. Its simply a choice I make. Like I said, there are advatanges here and I am not knowcking this product at all, but this product isn't saving you nearly as much as it might have several years ago before etap was so widely available nd the prices hadn't yet trickled down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and I was comparing them to AXS. You're right, the old etap have certainly become much more cost friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
That $359 doesn’t include RD, FD, wires, shifters etc.

??? D1x is a 1x system. And it includes everything you need except the rear derailleur... and for $50 you can get a quite awesome functioning 105 11spd. Or use pretty much any derailleur made in the last 30 years if you won't be using >30t cogs. And then you could use any MTB derailleur.

How much does a Sram etap rear derailleur cost? A quick search shows $550 to $650 typical, with one at $400. I see new ones have sold on ebay for as cheap as $300, but that's rare. The blip buttons are typically >$100 also. And a $200 blip box. Even if you scrounge and get lucky, I think you are spending >$500. And that's only because 11spd is old and obsolete by Sram's reckoning. The D1x will work on 12spd just fine, and probably 13spd if that ever happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://imgur.com/a/GAJWVGO

i used the XShifter to go wireless for my 1x S&S couplers travel bike. nice thing is now there is only one brake cable to break down before travel. i had to dremel the shifter a little to get it to fit road bars, i thought about the archer and matchmaker sram system, those would NOT fit on a road drop bar with out serious modification. so if you're looking for a road setup, you'll have to be creative to make it work.
the xshifter now makes a mini shifter which is smaller and goes on the bend of a drop bar, but i haven't tried that yet. my current set up can be reached from the drops and the hoods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. Maybe I just got lucky in my etap 1x purchases
Quote Reply

Prev Next