Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359
Quote | Reply
I just ran across this yesterday and was surprised I hadn't heard of it before. It's been out for over a year; long enough for a new and improved version to be introduced. User reviews are generally favorable. It's marketed for MTB but should work fine for TT/Tri bikes. It consists of a "remote" (pod with shift buttons) that you can mount on your extensions, and the servo unit which attaches to your chainstay and pulls a short length of cable that attaches to the rear derailleur. Plus a phone app for adjustments. That's it.

The outstanding feature IMO, is that it is completely universal and customizable. In other words, you set the number of gears and the spacing between gears. There is a phone app that allows you to do this. Use any cassette and any derailleur that can handle the range of the cassette. Lets you mix and match brands of derailleurs and cassettes (Sram, Shimano, Campy, whatever) and generations, and never becomes obsolete. For instance if you can set it up for an 11spd bike now and when 12spd comes out (that fits on 11spd cassette bodies) all you need to do is buy a new cassette (and probably chain) and reprogram your shifter.

The remote (shift buttons) have an MTB mount that should work pretty decently for TT bikes. It fits the normal extension diameter anyway. I'd probably mount it with the shifter buttons facing forward/down so I can access them with my fingertips.

It's missing the auto-trim features of Di2 and Etap. There may be other relative downsides as well, but I frankly know little about those systems because they are horrendously expensive IMO, and I've never considered buying them. The D1x seems simpler. The servo unit looks a bit clunky, but not that bad. A big upside vs mechanical or wired electronic is that you don't have to route cables or wires, which can be a big PITA on some integrated systems if you want to hide the cables and you want to make position adjustments/experiments. People who have Etap or Di2, what do you think?

I just finished setting up push button mechanical 1x shifting on my TT bike, so I don't think I'll buy this just yet, but it is intriguing.

Company site:
https://www.archercomponents.com/

Lots of reviews and info. Note that there is a new version out a few months ago (called Trail) with longer battery life, faster shifting, easier battery access, better remote buttons, and an optional button on the remote to adjust the system without using your phone:
https://www.google.com/...2F29%2F2019&tbm=

Servo:

Remote:

Last edited by: rruff: Aug 29, 19 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For MTB I think this is a good inexpensive way to get mostly wireless and I am thinking about this for my 29er. I do not believe this is an option for 1x road "YET"
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How come?
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean there's not really a reason this wont work for a road or tri 1x set up though? I like the idea for my 1x tri bike. I was definitely interested in Xshifter back when there was the kickstarter but good thing I didn't give anything...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They need to create a shift pod for road/tri. Yes you can adapt it but I do not believe it would be ideal. It would be great if they could somehow have something that would work with standard non shifting road brake levers or with tri bar extensions.

This system is optimized for MTB but not road or tri yet.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 29, 19 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they had a shifter you could operate on the hoods or drops... that would kick ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see a problem. It would be nice to have more options for positioning the remote, but it should work ok as it is.

Ya, I saw the Xshifter first but it looks like they screwed up pretty much every aspect of bringing a product to market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
They need to create a shift pod for road/tri. Yes you can adapt it but I do not believe it would be ideal.

If you flipped that remote so the buttons are facing forward/down between the extensions, then they'd be right where my modded flatbar shifter are now. You can use your fingertips to shift. The clamp is the same diameter... extensions and MTB bars are the same size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a picture of your current set up?

Again I am not saying it can't be done as I could make something work very easily but it is not ideal and if they could have it placed like standard road and tri shifters, they would have a lot more sales.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Do you have a picture of your current set up?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed the company and got a response a few minutes later that they are planning to introduce a remote for TT bikes before the end of the year. But honestly I think the one they have would work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be great to see what they come up with and where it fits.

I have been using aerobars for 30 years and there is an ideal place for the shifters and a compromise. Never liked having the shifters in the between the extensions. This is going back 20 years in tech.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer to have the shifters offset a bit from the extensions themselves. Directly on the end isn't good since that part is in the palm of my hand. Buttons facing the inside on the extensions would probably be fine, but there would be a chance of accidental shifting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at this thing many moons ago. It was a very cool idea back then, but the concern was that thing would go into the spokes if given a good shake. Is it still the case?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks great! I could see spending $400 opposed to $1000+ to upgrade it. For local TT's the 1x would be fine, should I decide to make the effort for any more UCI TT's I might want a 2x option though. I wonder how well the actuator could be hidden inside a Shiv TT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I don't see a problem. It would be nice to have more options for positioning the remote, but it should work ok as it is.

Ya, I saw the Xshifter first but it looks like they screwed up pretty much every aspect of bringing a product to market.

I never got mine. I think some people got theirs though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean...it's pretty cool, but what exactly is the real benefit.

You're still using a cable actuated system, which means cables and housings still need to be replaced and shift quality is impacted by dirt that gets into the system. Yes, you have a lot less cable to run and replacement seems like it may be easier...or not depending on how difficult it is to open up that electronic unit and run a new cable in there.

The beauty of di2 and etap is that once the system is set up, typically you just have to manage the batteries. With this system, you still have to manage the cables with regular maintenance, adjust cable tension at the barrel as needed, and still maintain the batteries. An electronic shift by this system isn't really going to be any more precise than a full cable system given it uses the same mechanics of cable and spring tension to move the derailleur compared to a motor that moves the derailleur and exact amount each time.

I'm not a total expert on all this stuff...but am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say:
compared to etap - almost as easy to install, WAY cheaper
compared to fully mech - way easier to install, less cable to stretch (less maintenance) and as you say, when the time comes, replacing that cable is super easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
This looks great! I could see spending $400 opposed to $1000+ to upgrade it. For local TT's the 1x would be fine, should I decide to make the effort for any more UCI TT's I might want a 2x option though. I wonder how well the actuator could be hidden inside a Shiv TT?

I someone who rode 1x at Worlds last year, where there were some 12% grade sections as I recall. I think he used an 11-40 cassette with a 58. Custom gears.

The actuator goes under the chainstay; not sure where else you could put it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The actuator goes under the chainstay; not sure where else you could put it.
In theory, I don't see why an actuator couldn't be designed to stick right on a derailleur's cable entry stop. You'd probably want such a part to be pretty compact and light, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
You're still using a cable actuated system, which means cables and housings still need to be replaced and shift quality is impacted by dirt that gets into the system.

It's like 6 inches of cable vs 6 feet. And the full housing and snaking through bars and stem and through the frame and chainstay that makes TT mechanical problematic. Lot's of friction, and it's a pain to change the housing, or simply adjust the bars on any bike where you want to keep the cable hidden.

It's true that this won't shift any better than a really good mech system, but none of my TT mech rear shifters have been that great. Not as good as my MTB or road bikes for sure. I think it's the full cable housing.

The cable is super easy to replace BTW. It's shown in some of the videos. There is a port with a silicone seal.
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No spokes if you are running a disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right before the first pic...

You said, "longer battery life" twice.

I like longer battery life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering the same thing. My 1x shifts fine. First time and every time. I tend to not mess with it. I don't mix cassettes either because I have a separate tri bike for hilly races (that's what my IA10 is for).

If you add this, you lose some weight of cable and housing but gain some weight of the boxes so that might be a wash or some extra grams.

But what is the real gain?
Quote Reply
Re: Archer D1x - Universal wireless 1x shifting for $359 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doh!... fixed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next