Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor
Quote | Reply
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/09/10/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Ironman.aspx

So, is this good or bad? A lot of financial power goes in. And no doubt that triathlon is on the map of large companies. Some (or many) might say that this kills the spirit of Kona ... if there is any left.

To those who tend to say that Ironman (especially with support of Amazon) is killing our sport: Stop participating in Ironman events, support your local race. And stop ordering from Amazon...
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s been title sponsored by some company for years (decades). Ford was the title sponsor for years. GoPro has done it for a few years.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. Well, it is a new sponsor. Today more powerful than any other sponsor before (in financial terms). Reactions here in Germany are "how can you? Amazon is such a bad boy. Ironman is selling out their soul. Etc.". Maybe the reputation in the Us is different and the reaction is "who cares". Don't know. Just asking/posting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, is this good or bad? A lot of financial power goes in. And no doubt that triathlon is on the map of large companies. Some (or many) might say that this kills the spirit of Kona ... if there is any left.

If by the "spirit of Kona" people mean the spontaneous, accessible and cheap event that happened in the early years, that was killed decades ago. As evidenced by the popularity of the large IM races, people want commercialize and crowded races so in that sense, Kona is what people want and have.

To those who tend to say that Ironman (especially with support of Amazon) is killing our sport: Stop participating in Ironman events, support your local race. And stop ordering from Amazon...

Sponsors don't kill a sport, they go where the demand goes, following the crowds. It's the athletes who pay high fees and enter crowded races that attract sponsors so if there is blame, it's on the athletes.

I'm certainly not going to stop buying my books from Amazon because they sponsor a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does seem odd though, I mean in the UK at least Amazon has quite the reputation for flogging cheap knock offs of genuine cycling gear - Im taking 3T carbon bars that snap when going downhill, Giro helmets that aren't safe. Its been on TV , they've been sued and I for one would not buy a single thing from them while they are happy to scam people like this.

For me it is odd for Ironman to want to assosciate with a brand that has history of knowingly causing cyclists life changing injuries just so they can make a few extra £'s/$'s...I would imaging that Ironman could find other headline sponsors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:

is this good or bad? A lot of financial power goes in. And no doubt that triathlon is on the map of large companies. Some (or many) might say that this kills the spirit of Kona ... if there is any left.

I’d have to think a non-endemic title sponsor with deep pockets is going to be a good thing overall.

Eta: apparently, it’s a nutrition marketplaxe they are launching. Reading the whole article is helpful before commenting.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Sep 11, 18 4:04
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading these posts was quite an eye opener for me as here in the states we seem to have quite a different view of Amazon. I don't think anyone really hates them and most people love the money they save and the efficiency of their Amazon membership. There is some grumbling about large corporate companies but for the most part Amazon is very well liked. I don't have an opinion either way on their sponsorship. Was just surprised at the difference of opinion across the Atlantic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. In the UK they are destroying family businesses and paying no tax so all of the spend goes out of the country. I know people choose to spend with Amazon and then complain that the country cannot afford certain public services etc but you cannot have it both ways.

I for one despise them and it is a shame that Ironman has partnered with them...I kind of think they are two peas from the same pod. Corporations that dont give a monkeys about their customers so long as it makes them a couple more $'s
Last edited by: jayski: Sep 11, 18 4:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You say that you despise Amazon, as it would have "knowingly caused injuries/accidents to people" and "destroyed local businesses".

Let me guess, you or your family/friends have (had) such a local business? Cause to me, it seems that your arguments are made out of hatred rather than else.

I don't see the shame in Ironman and Amazon partnering. I, for one, prefer to wait to see what this brings, before ranting online.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [robeambro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep they have knowingly sold fake giro helmets that offered no protection and sold stuff like '3t' bars that sheared during descents... if a real shop did this they'd be boycotted. But hey, Amazon can do no wrong in some peoples eyes.

Personally Id prefer to pay the same amount (or a little more sometimes) and speak to an actual person and help my community. I am in the minority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have trouble believing this is the overwhelming reaction. Have you taken a look at a Bundesliga Jersey lately?? Your players are walking, running, advertisements! The concept of advertising is hardly new to sport. You think IM is going to pass us the chance to have one of the biggest commercial giants in the world be it’s title sponsor???? Not a chance. This was a huge score for IM (the private company).
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, of course they will do it - I just think it is a shame. Ford, Go Pro etc etc is fine but I hope (doubt) IM asked questions that they should have during their due diligence.

Again, my opinion but I am also fully aware that the greater population very rarely feel that online giants such as Amazon can do any wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I have trouble believing this is the overwhelming reaction. Have you taken a look at a Bundesliga Jersey lately??

...every weekend. Not sure what you have watched. Please do not mix German Bundesliga with e.g. Austrian soccer league. Totally different. But anyway. I am not blaming IM for picking Amazon as a sponsor (or vice verse). I have an opinion on Amazon, yes. But don't judge on the IM-Amazon cooperation/sponsorship. IM is a brand that wants to make money (and produces good value for the money that triathletes pay, imho), Amazon wants to make money, so they go together. Understood. And if I not had little kids that make travel difficult I would be on Hawaii in a few weeks and would give a sh** about who the sponsor is ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
Reading these posts was quite an eye opener for me as here in the states we seem to have quite a different view of Amazon. I don't think anyone really hates them and most people love the money they save and the efficiency of their Amazon membership. There is some grumbling about large corporate companies but for the most part Amazon is very well liked. I don't have an opinion either way on their sponsorship. Was just surprised at the difference of opinion across the Atlantic.

There are two sides to the medal. Most people just don't care. They are happy about the possibility to order online in a very convenient way, allowing them to safe money. However, some people care and are concerned about bad conditions for workers at Amazon (very low wages) and the fact that little shops downtown have to close because they simply lose customers to Amazon. I personally avoid shopping at Amazon, but that does not mean anything personally good or bad about the IM/Amazon relationship...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

...every weekend. Not sure what you have watched. Please do not mix German Bundesliga with e.g. Austrian soccer league. Totally different)[/quote]

How did I mix them up??? I’m quite familiar myself...since my teenage years. Since you said you are from Germany, I assumed you would would understand the reference. My point which I think was very clear is the players’ jerseys are littered with ads so this concept should hardly new or surprising in the year 2018.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 11, 18 5:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
Yep they have knowingly sold fake giro helmets that offered no protection and sold stuff like '3t' bars that sheared during descents...

So I'm curious, does Amazon work differently where you are? in that they aren't simply a middleman that essentially sells either directly from the brands itself or from actual retailers?

A quick search for 3T handlebars on Amazon and 7 of the first 8 products that appear are sold from 3T itself. The top 'sponsored' item isn't 3T nor brands itself as 3T, it's sponsored and one would have to be daft to order it thinking it is 3T. Not necessarily being pro-amazon, I know the internet can work differently in other countries so please elaborate on the 3T thing...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this mean free Kona Travel if you have Amazon Prime membership?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

...every weekend. Not sure what you have watched. Please do not mix German Bundesliga with e.g. Austrian soccer league. Totally different)

How did I mix them up??? I’m quite familiar myself...since my teenage years. Since you said you are from Germany, I assumed you would would understand the reference. My point which I think was very clear is the players’ jerseys are littered with ads so this concept should hardly new or surprising in the year 2018.[/quote]

Ads are neither new nor surprising to me. And I am not against it. Nor am I against a sponsorship of Amazon of an IM event. Not sure why you believe anything would be surprising to me. However, I do not understand the reference when you say that a Bundesliga jersey would be littered with ads. I see one major sponsor on the chest and a little one on the sleeve. Btw: Most Bundesliga clubs are member owned, not by companies or private persons. Well, but all this completely diverts from the original question ;-)

Last edited by: motorcity: Sep 11, 18 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
Resactions here in Germany are "how can you? Amazon is such a bad boy. Ironman is selling out their soul. Etc.". Maybe the reputation in the Us is different and the reaction is "who cares". Don't know. Just asking/posting...

Not sure if it will be good or bad, but the soul unfortunately was gone a long, long time ago. Because ironman/WTC and amazon have more than a bit in common in terms steamrolling over competitors ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 11, 18 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once WTC agreed to float a Ford SUV in the bay at the start in Kona, nothing surprises me. I'm going to wait and see what Amazon does as title sponsor. The soul of IM lives out on the Queen K in the lava fields between the resorts.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 11, 18 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
The soul of Kona lives out on the Queen K in the lava fields between the resorts.

I'd say that it lives when you are about to swim out to the start line, when you are out in the Energy Lab and when you take the final turn onto Ali'i Dr. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletes are funny creatures. We whine and cry about the cost of gear, then make big box companies out to be bad. We whine and cry about how little money pros make, then complain about big box companies killing the sport. Wtf? Triathlon is such a microscopic sport that we should be BEGGING for a sponsor like amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be worse

Could be Walmart

< too many pix to choose from >

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/09/10/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Ironman.aspx

I don't know if it's good or bad, but mainly, I don't give a rat's ass who the title sponsor is. As to supporting my local race, that would be the Great Floridian Triathlon which last year did not even have a 100 finishers. My age group (M60-64) at Ironman Florida will easily surpass the entire field at GFT. It's like telling someone to skip the majors and go back to Little League. Fat chance on that happening. And one other thing, Amazon is the only place I can order Chocolate PowerBars! The local grocery stores, LBS, running stores, etc., no longer stock them. I have no intention of dropping my Amazon Prime membership.

This post reminds me of one I saw on Facebook the other day about Ironman's acquisition of Rev 3 HIMs. All the WTC haters were saying they were going to support indies ... soon. Yeah, I've been hearing that story for over 10 years. The fact is, it's all talk, and indie registrations keep falling because for the most part, you get what you pay for and people know it.
Quote Reply
Re: Amazon to become 2018 Ironman WC title sponsor [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am all for this...bring in the large title sponsors...which might bring in more competitors..which might make entry fees not so damn ridiculous.

I feel like Jeff Bez should throw in $250,000 in prize money out of his own pocket (he would make this back in like 10 seconds). Money makes the world go around - this sport needs all the money it can get
Quote Reply

Prev Next