Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [skankyleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
In light of recent results i.e. Ironman Texas, there happened to be a few individuals who not only beat the entire pro women field but also edged out more than a handful of pro men. This happens at just about every race and most likely has been discussed at some point but at what point in your racing career do you bite the bullet and get the heck out of the age group field?!?! If the first 2 podium spots of the age group are occupied by individuals swimming sub 1 hour with a 4:30 bike and a sub 3 hour run while taking out a handful of pro's what the hell is going on?!?! Just hand them over a Kona spot and put them in some personalized ''people with good genes who ran at a D1 college but are only fast enough to be a B or C grade pro but do not want to get their pro card because they will get lost in the shuffle'' class. Thoughts on sandbagging?
I can't for the life of me figure out what your problem is.
Some people, due to genetics, backgound and training are very fast. Some of those have decided to try and make a living off the sport. These are pros. Typically pros will be the fastest in any given race for obvious reasons. They get their own category.
One person is the winning male and one the winning female. The winner could be either pro or amateur but will obviously be pro in almost all cases. Everyone else is sub divided by age for the same reason it's done in any sport, so that, in theory you're competing against others in your approximate demographic. i.e. If you're 50, it's not realistic to compare yourself directly to 25 year olds.
Since there's age categories and finishing places are recognised by age category, it facilitates a qualification system for Kona to produce a field that represents all demographics with, theoretically, the best athletes in each age group, plus the pros.

Why would you tell the fastest age groupers that they have to pretend they're pros or go in a separate category?
And if this made sense (it doesn't) where would you put your cut-off?

Pros are identified separately because they're pros. This is what they do.
They don't have a right to be the fastest, they just typically are.

Amateurs don't have a right to be helped fool themselves into thinking they're great. Nor do they have a right to have more and more sub-divisions made in the field until everyone gets a medal......

If you can't beat the best in your age group, that's okay. Learn to deal with that disappointment. Don't pretend someone's cheating you.

I'll never be fast. My genetics aren't bad but my background and age are against me, plus I'm maybe just not committed enough. That's okay. I'm not fooling myself. I still expect and intend to get faster for another few years but that's unlikely to get me much beyond mid pack. I'll keep it up as long as I'm enjoying it and getting something out of it.
Some of the guys who are fast but not quite fast enough to get on the podium or get to Kona have a pathetic lack of perspective. It's all ego and self deceit. You're being robbed by dopers, or celebrities, or the lottery, or rolling starts. Now, apparently we have people who feel they are being robbed just because they aren't fast enough. If other guys are faster than you, you don't win. That's how racing works. You don't get to say they're magically in a different category and you still win. Get a grip.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was the most long winded bs response to post i've seen in a while. How long did it take you to peck away at those keys?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
That was the most long winded bs response to post i've seen in a while. How long did it take you to peck away at those keys?
I was bored.
So keep me amused, where's the BS?
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's simply a matter of finances. The agegrouper has got it too good to go pro. He gets free gear just like the pro's he's beating. Based on the demographics of Ironman he probably makes more money than the pro and his pathway to Kona is really straightforward. Where's the incentive?

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [emge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the end you shouldn't have to defend yourself. If you're a speedy AGer, you're a speedy AGer. Let the haters hate and let the winners continue to win and work.

emge wrote:
Clay Emge, here to defend myself. Shout out to Greg, Brendan, Gerlach and others for their kind words too!

Sorry it took me so long to respond...my full-time job as an engineer and family duties as a husband and father keep me pretty busy.

First I will address the Kona slot that I let roll-down...my wife is due to have our 2nd child in September, so both Chattanooga worlds and Kona are off the table this year. Something bigger and better came along.

There was a comment about avoiding drug testing and stricter drafting rules....false. I was drug tested immediately after finishing on Saturday (and have been a couple times before, including a random test in which USADA showed up to my house at 6 AM). Referees keep a pretty close eye on AG athletes, esp at big races like Kona and even IMTX.

Skanky Leg had a comment about textbook Age Grouper "if you work a solid 40+ hr a week job (not just coaching other athletes and being able to train) and didn't swim bike or run in college, you are a textbook age grouper...". I work 40+ hrs a week as an engineer, and was not a college athlete (engineering classes were a pretty full load). Textbook 📚.

Yes, I did race as a pro for 1 year (2014). I kept my full time job as an engineer, and never truly aspired to be "professional" in Triathlon. If nothing else, I wanted to be able to look back on life and tell my kids/grandkids, etc that I was a pro triathlete. But August of 2014 found me with a sacral stress fracture and instruction to not run for 6 mos. So instead of re-upping my pro license in 2015, I went back to AG ranks and my wife and I welcomed a little boy into our family.

Since then, I have indeed thought about going back to pro racing. But I don't want to put that pressure on myself, and would rather enjoy this sport as a hobby while continuing to push myself and see what I can achieve. As others have mentioned, my time would have put me out of the money anyway, so there are really no financial incentives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
Maybe they dont have to ''make the jump'' to pro.... maybe, as the title suggests, they can be a part of a new class all together. 8:30 for an IM can not be used as a reference point or ''setting the bar'' for even competative AG'ers. I mean, whats next? Pros entering non pro races like IM MOO to steal the overall victory?

Ok, let me get this right...You sign up on this forum 10 days ago, dis a legend in the sport of triathlon as being a poser (mark Montgomery), and complain that the fast people are too fast and should be moved to 'another class' so that they are essentially racing a different race than everyone else.
You know what, I think that we should suggest that Dan do the same thing with this forum...Have people start out in a beginner forum where there is just a whole bunch of ignorance mixed in with a healthy serving of stupid; then as your posts gain some real merit, you move up to a higher posting group.
I am assuming that you are trolling here, and not really this naive. Please stop being annoying and try to contribute something useful. If not, your complaint seems pretty lame 'we should have more categories of winners so more people can feel like they are winners' because the flip side of that is the cheapening of any win. Sure you can say that you were the winner of the married/60hour desk job worker with 4 kids and a 50 year old house that needs new roof and insulation and do all your own car work category...but that really seems like desperately digging for recognition where you did not earn it. WTF are you doing triathlon if the racing part does not make you happy???? Find something else to do, as life is too short to play a game that takes as much time as triathlon if it does not make you happy. If you are serious, then educate yourself a little more about the sport and the people that are on this forum. Many of them have been in the sport from the beginning. They can even remember when we were just a news group on rec.sports.triathlon and before that we just met to BS at the Budlight beer truck after the race under the giant inflatable Tinley.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
You did a much better job of explaining it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emge wrote:
, I have indeed thought about going back to pro racing. But I don't want to put that pressure on myself

What pressure? Wouldn't that just be self-inflicted? Sounds like pro is a way less-pressure way to race Ironmans. You get to start at the front, less crowding, much cheaper registration for races, get into any race you want, better bike rack positioning... all kinds of perks. Hell, I remember being told I couldn't use the porta-cans in the IM Texas transition area before the race because they were for "pros only."

I think it's more of a case of wanting to be a great age grouper instead of an average pro. Which is fine - that's just being a human - we like to compare ourselves to those immediately around us. But I don't see any extra pressure of being a pro except pushing yourself too hard to be a great one instead of just an average one.

I'm not trying to pick a fight over it. Just an observation. What am I missing here?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gphin305 [ In reply to ]
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree with the OP.

2016 IMLP in the M50-54 there were 24 pro-caliber guys racing that kept me from KQ...kinda sucked
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
emge wrote:
, I have indeed thought about going back to pro racing. But I don't want to put that pressure on myself

What pressure? Wouldn't that just be self-inflicted? Sounds like pro is a way less-pressure way to race Ironmans. You get to start at the front, less crowding, much cheaper registration for races, get into any race you want, better bike rack positioning... all kinds of perks. Hell, I remember being told I couldn't use the porta-cans in the IM Texas transition area before the race because they were for "pros only."

I think it's more of a case of wanting to be a great age grouper instead of an average pro. Which is fine - that's just being a human - we like to compare ourselves to those immediately around us. But I don't see any extra pressure of being a pro except pushing yourself too hard to be a great one instead of just an average one.

I'm not trying to pick a fight over it. Just an observation. What am I missing here?[/quote]

I can relate.....will be racing as a pro this year for the first time and can understand the "pressure" aspect. Over the past couple years, I had a few goals to reach as an AGer which I was fortunate to achieve. Since I earned my card last year and IMG announced a new OLY distance series, I figured why not take the next step and opportunity to race against some of the best pros (Cam Dye, Ben Kanute, etc.) just for the experience. I have no visions to podium or earn any money.....still have a demanding FT job with limited hours to train. But I feel a renewed pressure to not embarrass myself (i.e., finish last) and anticipate feeling very anxious instead of the usual feeling of confidence as an AGer prior to an event. First race as a pro will be in June and already feeling anxious/pressure.....just me and my wish to do well, I guess.

And to the OP, as an apparent new member/poster, I'd also suggest taking the previously mentioned advice. Observe, learn, and understand a little bit more about the sport....the history....nuances.....etc, before you start criticizing the results/procedures of a particular race and why participants race in certain categories. There is a lot of help here if you really want to learn and maximize your potential.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:

2016 IMLP in the M50-54 there were 24 pro-caliber guys racing that kept me from KQ...kinda sucked

How about, "If you beat 2/3rds of the pro field, congrats, you're now a pro too for the next 2 years." No debate, just what happens.

And we keep calling it pro, but isn't it actually "elite"? When said like that, the below sounds totally reasonable:

"If you beat 2/3rds of the elite field, congrats, you're now an elite too for the next 2 years."

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - It seems there's a stigma of fear with being called a "shitty pro." I've seen it online and I think its rude and like some kind of weird bullying. I've seen other pros tweeting that pros that can't keep up with the A or B pack are ruining the race and shouldn't be pros. To that, I say "F. U." If you qualify as a pro, you're a pro. You didn't get there by accident. Everybody has good and bad days and we've all seen the best fall off the back and look like crap compared to those that are "on" that day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emge wrote:
Clay Emge, here to defend myself. Shout out to Greg, Brendan, Gerlach and others for their kind words too!

Sorry it took me so long to respond...my full-time job as an engineer and family duties as a husband and father keep me pretty busy.

First I will address the Kona slot that I let roll-down...my wife is due to have our 2nd child in September, so both Chattanooga worlds and Kona are off the table this year. Something bigger and better came along.

There was a comment about avoiding drug testing and stricter drafting rules....false. I was drug tested immediately after finishing on Saturday (and have been a couple times before, including a random test in which USADA showed up to my house at 6 AM). Referees keep a pretty close eye on AG athletes, esp at big races like Kona and even IMTX.

Skanky Leg had a comment about textbook Age Grouper "if you work a solid 40+ hr a week job (not just coaching other athletes and being able to train) and didn't swim bike or run in college, you are a textbook age grouper...". I work 40+ hrs a week as an engineer, and was not a college athlete (engineering classes were a pretty full load). Textbook 📚.

Yes, I did race as a pro for 1 year (2014). I kept my full time job as an engineer, and never truly aspired to be "professional" in Triathlon. If nothing else, I wanted to be able to look back on life and tell my kids/grandkids, etc that I was a pro triathlete. But August of 2014 found me with a sacral stress fracture and instruction to not run for 6 mos. So instead of re-upping my pro license in 2015, I went back to AG ranks and my wife and I welcomed a little boy into our family.

Since then, I have indeed thought about going back to pro racing. But I don't want to put that pressure on myself, and would rather enjoy this sport as a hobby while continuing to push myself and see what I can achieve. As others have mentioned, my time would have put me out of the money anyway, so there are really no financial incentives.

It's a sad day when winners can't even celebrate a win without the need to defend themselves. Bravo Clay. Everyone who knows you knows how hard you work in your athletic, professional and home life to make these wins happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
An "Elite" class? between pro and age groups? But what would be the incentive to do that instead of entering in your age group?

It used to be pretty common to have an elite wave in a multi-wave event. The incentive was they went off first, raced against the best and had a chance to break the tape. They didn't care if it took them out of the running for "age-group" awards because they didn't really care that much about those.

Not sure what happened to those elite waves. Maybe the whole WC qualifying issues for IM and USAT caused people to be less interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kinda agree with this school of thought.

To hash it out a bit.

Triathlon World Rankings for all entrants.
Best 2 x IM races during any one year count towards your IM annual Points Ranking.
Top 50 or 75 (maybe 100 even) or whatever it is by cut off Aug 31st go to World Champs as Pro's and are Pro's for following year.
Outside of that and your an Amateur until you can rank in top 50/75 the following year.
Or heck division it to sound better - Division 1 = Top 50/75, Division 2 = Next 50/75, Division 3 - all others.
No difference in divisions other than middle tier pro's get to still call themselves pro's instead of labelled amateur. And Division 1 the only pro or main card so to speak.

Not sure the World Champs should count as 1.5 times or whatever the points tally towards your ranking though as would be skewed heavily to those that raced if that race worth more points. Perhaps for the Top 10 or Top 20 only as in fairness they deserve it.

So what does this solve?

Pro Category:
- ranks the top 50/75/100 best performers over 2 or so races so is fair.
- ensures no middle tier/lower tier classifying themselves as Pro to save entrance fee's etc.
- Keeps the Pro division much more elite and perhaps more marketable.

Possible problem of if only ranking 2 races, may end with a lot on tied points. Would need to reduce ranking events if this were the case which is kinda the road they are going down in some cases anyway.

Amateur Category:
- something to aim for - 2 x good races in top 50 and you go to World Champs as Pro (and shouldn't have to pay an entry fee!).
- Fairness that if some ex pro's are in your category they may be ranked as pro soon and thus keep divisions fairer possibly.
- Amateurs still qualify for Kona in normal AG slots etc and pay for the privilege.
- Top performers can earn prize money in any race if they rank in the top 8 or 10 or whatever the payouts are. I've always seen it as unfair that if a top amateur beats Pro's they don't get the prize money just because they aren't registered as such. Prize funds should be for the top performers regardless of category imo.

IM has kinda gone the other way though with the All World Athlete rankings and trying to glorify up the age group rankings. Which is fair enough to an extent, but to be honest more a case of oh you're an AWA Gold/Silver/Bronze - so you did like 3 or 5 IM branded races last year and that's what got you the points ranking...
Not true for all of course, as the top AG'ers are still at the top and racing 3 or more races but for the others it's a case of did x amount of races not necessarily performed in top x % of those races as ranking suggests.

Anyway, tangent steer back, IM would have a clear and fair Pro ranking system without question. Points allocated from 1st place and 2 or 3 races count to your ranking for IM.
Similar process for 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:

Is that supposed to be in pink? Or were there really 24 guys in the M50-54 field that had a chance to bring home money if they raced pro that day?
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new to this forum, NOT new to the sport. I guess not really having time to sit behind a keyboard and go back and forth really discredits me in the sport of triathlon. It was not trolling, it was not dissing a legend (dont know how mark montgomery was even brought into this convo) purely making a statement, a statement in which I see a pretty even split between opinions. Sorry if you butt is hurt. Carry on
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that supposed to be in pink? Or were there really 24 guys in the M50-54 field that had a chance to bring home money if they raced pro that day?
---

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heck of an answer clay and congrats on baby 2!!!!

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay you got me, but based on the OP, I wasn't sure where the line was these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
new to this forum, NOT new to the sport. I guess not really having time to sit behind a keyboard and go back and forth really discredits me in the sport of triathlon. It was not trolling, it was not dissing a legend (dont know how mark montgomery was even brought into this convo) purely making a statement, a statement in which I see a pretty even split between opinions. Sorry if you butt is hurt. Carry on

Monty IS Mark Montgomery.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
emge wrote:

I'm not trying to pick a fight over it. Just an observation. What am I missing here?

The pressure to succeed and make a living. I'm only saying this coming from a collegiate track background and I was the most anxious person ever and felt the pressure then. Obviously I wasn't competing for money but it was mentally draining. I took 5 years off after college and finally realized I needed to compete again last year. This time it was different. Yeah I feel nervous at the start of races but not an unhealthy anxious feeling. I have really enjoyed the process this time around too. I wish I had this mentally in college but that is long gone. I'm not a pro but I can only imagine if I was competing to put food on the table what it would do mentally.

Great podcast btw- I really enjoyed "the real starky" episode!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
gary p wrote:
An "Elite" class? between pro and age groups? But what would be the incentive to do that instead of entering in your age group?

It used to be pretty common to have an elite wave in a multi-wave event. The incentive was they went off first, raced against the best and had a chance to break the tape. They didn't care if it took them out of the running for "age-group" awards because they didn't really care that much about those.

Not sure what happened to those elite waves. Maybe the whole WC qualifying issues for IM and USAT caused people to be less interested.

The're still there in OLY and Sprint distance events, at least here in the Mid-Atlantic. Most larger events, with a specific pro wave (almost non-existent now) or without a pro wave still have an "Elite" wave that starts the race.
Last edited by: gphin305: Apr 25, 17 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only comeback to that is if you have a FT job while being a pro you aren't worrying about "providing" for yourself. And I know many that are in that scenario. Only if tri is your only job is that a worry but a 1st year pro? Nah that's more worried about going from podium to pro pack fodder and the resulting ding to your ego as a result of the change in finish position.

ETA: and if your a new pro doing this as your only career it's foolish to either make that decision based on where you currently sit at and only give yourself 1 year. That really is more of a decision of simply saying you were a pro. Which is cool, if that's what you want to do. Good on you, but a pro in that situation would have a terrible outlook/goals if they truly were worried about providing for themselves.

Which is my point being a "pro" in triathlon really truly applies to how many? 200? The rest of the pros are simply people who race in the group that also have either another job or financial support from somewhere. That's why I hate when people bag on pros "oh they suck they get beat by an AGer".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 25, 17 12:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next