Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [danstark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So lawyers.....$5mil settlement......who "won" this?

Seems like Lance gets off easy, so does this show that the case likely wouldnt have gone well for govt?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

We all do in the sense that we hopefully never have to hear Betsy's constant bitching, whining, and spotlight seeking ever again.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

We all do in the sense that we hopefully never have to hear Betsy's constant bitching, whining, and spotlight seeking ever again.

Don't bet on that. For the better part of decade her whole life has been about the hope of seeing Lance living in a van down by the river. The decade before that it was about revenge for Frankie not having his contract renewed (and some money still owed) when her insistence on not doping made him useless as a rider for any team. She has always been every bit as vindictive and mean as the caricature she has built about Lance. The difference is that over the last decade Lance learned and improved; she became ever more twisted.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of last May his net worth was around 50 million according to Forbes. That includes his homes, bike shops, podcasts, investments, and other things. I think the 6.65 million plus his lawyer fees will hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beyond being banned from events, this is the last of all legal ramifications pretty much right? I'm still kinda shocked he only has to pay that amount and it's "over".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who "won" this?
Seems like Lance gets off easy, so does this show that the case likely wouldnt have gone well for govt? //

I think the real winners are Floyds contributors, if he actually has to pay them back. Most of those people believed him and probably gave more than they could really afford because of that belief. The next biggest winners are Floyd's lawyers and the govt. ones who were going to have to prosecute this case. They would most likely have been big losers if this got drug out, millions in fees accrued, and likely losing in the end with no payment, or very little. So Floyd's got some coin, the govt, got to save money likely lost, and next up would be Floyd. He gets just enough probably to stay out of bankruptcy(if he hasn't already), and able to pay some bills until he finds his niche in life.

Lance was also a winner in this.Won't change his life much, and he has already moved onto the next thing in his life, besides raising his kids. And I think he has another chapter or two to write now that this is over. Floyd will now reside in relative obscurity, Lance will most likely find some niche still in the public eye. People that did a lot worse than him, have come back and had radio/tv shows, wrote best selling books, or just landed on their feet and made big money again. It might be a big stretch still, but looking at politics these days, that would not be out of the question. I think it was a consideration before all the ruckus came about. We now know that skeletons known and unknown are not a disqualification to becoming a politician...

It will be interesting to see where his ambitions lie, I dont believe he is the same guy I knew 30 years ago. Some elements yes, but are any of us the same as we were? That drive that won 7 TDF's( yes folks, he won them, look it up, do you see someone else's name as the winner) is still there I think. Dont think he is going to go quietly into that dark night, but I could be wrong. Wont be the first or last time, that for sure....
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think his stages podcast are pretty good, atleast for the ones during the Tour. I kinda liked them more for the "keeping it real" parts of each daily race, etc. Hell they went from like what Tour coverage to now 10-12 other events in what 2 years time frame? I also heard the Tour of Flanders RD himself invited Lance to Flanders this year, but Lance had a family emergency to take care of. I'm not sure how much money they make off that, but it's got a good following i think.

I've listened to his other podcast and some of them were good, some of them I've not even cared to listen to them.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've listened to his other podcast and some of them were good, some of them I've not even cared to listen to them. //

Ya I have heard a few, really depends on who he is interviewing. Neil DeGrasse Tyson was one of my favorites, but I just like that guy...
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Twotter wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Don't bet on that. For the better part of decade her whole life has been about the hope of seeing Lance living in a van down by the river. The decade before that it was about revenge for Frankie not having his contract renewed (and some money still owed) when her insistence on not doping made him useless as a rider for any team. She has always been every bit as vindictive and mean as the caricature she has built about Lance. The difference is that over the last decade Lance learned and improved; she became ever more twisted.

THIS.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Raised $800 million for cancer research. What a monster.

Just last week I heard him claim something closer to 2 billion (per The Forward show with Torkelson).

CC
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So doper Floyd finally found a way to make money with biking ... Bet he lit up a cigar sized blunt after that one. I wonder if Phonak will put in a case for 1.5million now that they know he has it. This was the guy that got people to donate to his "I'm innocent" case then after the money was blown said "actually I totally did". If anyone should be reimbursed double it's those samaritans. These kind of actions make the world a less charitable and helpful place.

And poor us postal, all that ill gotten exposure must've been awful for them. It sounded like the lettering of lances contracts demanded a win at all costs approach because if they didn't wear yellow on the champs they would get paid Jack shit. If anything it seemed like ups forced its athletes to win or starve trying, no in between.

Was there similar sponsor refund cases in baseball or are only cyclists the media whipping boy of choice?
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Apr 20, 18 1:04
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:

doping? in cycling? on behalf of Captain Renault, I am shocked. I can see how this would have been news to the Postal Service too.

Not only news to them, it's news to the US government cuz if it wasn't, wouldn't this be state sponsored doping?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a reasonable outcome for all concerned. Supposedly, the government has been trying to settle the case for awhile and Lance was consistently rejecting settlements. Personally, I thought the argument that the USPS was harmed by their contract with Armstrong was ridiculous. USPS seems like it did well in the relationship, both financially and from a publicity standpoint. And I'm kinda skeptical that the brand was harmed by the revelation that Armstrong was indeed doping. Or that USPS had no reason to suspect that he was indeed doping (cough). Honestly, I wrote the lawsuit off as a Hail Mary from a cash-strapped organization that would play well in the press since people seem to have an irrational hatred of Lance.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
who "won" this?
Seems like Lance gets off easy, so does this show that the case likely wouldnt have gone well for govt? //

I think the real winners are Floyds contributors, if he actually has to pay them back. Most of those people believed him and probably gave more than they could really afford because of that belief. The next biggest winners are Floyd's lawyers and the govt. ones who were going to have to prosecute this case. They would most likely have been big losers if this got drug out, millions in fees accrued, and likely losing in the end with no payment, or very little. So Floyd's got some coin, the govt, got to save money likely lost, and next up would be Floyd. He gets just enough probably to stay out of bankruptcy(if he hasn't already), and able to pay some bills until he finds his niche in life.

Lance was also a winner in this.Won't change his life much, and he has already moved onto the next thing in his life, besides raising his kids. And I think he has another chapter or two to write now that this is over. Floyd will now reside in relative obscurity, Lance will most likely find some niche still in the public eye. People that did a lot worse than him, have come back and had radio/tv shows, wrote best selling books, or just landed on their feet and made big money again. It might be a big stretch still, but looking at politics these days, that would not be out of the question. I think it was a consideration before all the ruckus came about. We now know that skeletons known and unknown are not a disqualification to becoming a politician...

It will be interesting to see where his ambitions lie, I dont believe he is the same guy I knew 30 years ago. Some elements yes, but are any of us the same as we were? That drive that won 7 TDF's( yes folks, he won them, look it up, do you see someone else's name as the winner) is still there I think. Dont think he is going to go quietly into that dark night, but I could be wrong. Wont be the first or last time, that for sure....

Oh wait, I thought that Lance was flying around on Jetblue and Ryan air with a bunch of jersey's giving them out to Alex Zulle, Jan Ullrich, Marco Pantani (RIP pirate that 2000 stage on Ventoux, we're still debating the gift or not), Joseba Beloki, Andreas and Ivan Basso. I heard that Beloki said, "no Lance don't give me that Jersey give it to Raimondas Rumsas, his wife was just traveling around with special drugs for a family member at the border" and when offered the same Jan Ullrich said, "No just give it to Vinkourov" LOL. Basso just said, "I loved getting beaten by you so much that I joined your company but I got no faster on the Disco motoman resupply vs when I was riding for Bjarne Riis at CSC and was not your waterboy"

OK OK. Can we also give back the 2006 TdF to Floyd and call it done now that all the $$$ have been dispersed?

The real part about all this is that there was not even any competition with real undoped riders (Jens Voigt's pathetic "I was the only clean guy" claims aside....yeah right, he rode 1000km on breakaway for Bjarne Riis in the turbo doped 2003 in front of a completely juiced peloton and he was clean....whatever, not sure why Jens gets so much love). We just watched around 15 years of full on EPO fueled madness. Pretty much like watching juiced up NFL.

OK back to the money thread. Maybe Lance has some money to tech invest in my startup now LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Exactly!
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [danstark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstark wrote:
BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million.

Story to follow.

Landis suing Lance is the same as Al Capone suing Charles Manson for murders... (Al Capone and Landis the "good criminals" and Manson and Lance the "bad criminals"...)

Government is conveniently on the side that secures higher payout...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems fair. Armstrong received significant punishment but he won't end up in the poor house. Landis gets something but he won't be independently wealthy.

Everyone can (or at least should) be able to move forward with their lives.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
danstark wrote:
BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million.

Story to follow.

Landis suing Lance is the same as Al Capone suing Charles Manson for murders... (Al Capone and Landis the "good criminals" and Manson and Lance the "bad criminals"...)

Government is conveniently on the side that secures higher payout...

Can we have a Vino vs Lance tri smackdown in 45-49 now that the money is doled out????
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Wow, now this site can take a break from being Lionelsanderstwitch and go back to being Lancetwitch for a couple of days.

I bet this place was pretty sweet back when LA and Chris McCormack had their little thing
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Icarus Beta....the prequel
Last edited by: Testament TN: Apr 20, 18 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [Testament TN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, this morning I listened to the stages season preview podcast. In that podcast, he talked about the trial set for May where he said something along the lines of, this trial is happening and this case cannot be settled... Sure enough, I log onto slowtwitch and find the case has indeed been settled, haha.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All things aside - it's gotta sting a little to know you're paying the guy that got you into the mess in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's gotta sting a little to know you're paying the guy that got you into the mess in the first place. //

I dont know any exact details, but I bet at one time Floyd was offered a whole lot more than he may end up with here for settling this case, but turned it down. If that is the case, then it would be the opposite of what you say, there may be a smirk about what a smuck he was for turning down bigger earlier offers. It would have been tough, with all those 30+ million dollar signs rolling around in your head. He probably had his Ferrari and mansion all picked out, now it is a moped and a bachelor pad rental on the other side of town from that mansion...
Quote Reply
Re: AP BREAKING: Cyclist Lance Armstrong agrees to $5 million settlement of government lawsuit that could have sought $100 million. [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also just want to add that I don't really know Floyd, so most of my comments are tongue and cheek when talking about him. I do know people that were close to him, used to ride the Wednesday ride and did some races with his doctor Arnie Baker. Looking at the wiki page it looks like Arnie got convicted along with Floyd for breaking into computers at a drug lab.

Anyway, I hope the dude is doing ok and found something to look forward to in life, it would be a shame if he was focusing on his past and thinking it would somehow become his future. Says he wanted to be a Nascar driver? Anyone out there know the guy, what he is doing, how has he handled all this drama in his life??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Anyone out there know the guy, what he is doing, how has he handled all this drama in his life??

Floyd is totally rad these days- he and Dave Z got a little side gig going in Leadville: https://floydsofleadville.com/

Cashing in on legal pot and putting out CBD products (likely Ben Greenfield approved!).
Quote Reply

Prev Next