Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
The great thing about duathlons is that you don't have to worry about this sort of thing happening.....

OK, that's pretty funny. Sad about duathlons....I love them.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
you know, maybe this is a time that the endurance athlete community can share some of its expertise with the fight for civil rights.
to wit: you don't start with a marathon.
find a nice local 5k, see how that goes, learn from there. if it's something productive and enjoyable, start building up to the longer races.
You know, people have been fighting for civil rights in this country for more than a hundred years, and the BLM is in many ways a continuation of a movement that got very big about 55 years ago. And that movement actually disrupted things, faced condemnation from many white people, and had some small success. Just sayin'.

I get your point, but this is not the early 60's in the deep south where: You couldn't ride in the front of the bus, or sit at a particular lunch counter - by law. I get that there needs to be progress in certain areas and, indeed there should be protests that are relevant to the problems faced.

But, last I checked; the folks who put on TCM allow anyone (race, creed, color, gender, etc.) to participate. No discrimination what-so-ever. So, to me there is a complete and illogical disconnect to protesting the TCM - it's not the place to win a "war" that's already won. Arguably, if you look at many sports which "race" dominates the playing field? Even in marathon running. (OK, not in triathlon - yet, but NFL, NBA, etc. "the money sports").

Protesting an inappropriate arrest, etc. I get. In fact, that should be something deplored in a color blind fashion. Completely different. If I were BLM, I'd ask "will this help our cause?" gaining press/attention isn't the same as moving opinion in the desired direction - big difference. Having Rosa Parks pulled from a bus gathered the desired attention. Blocking the TCM? I just feel this is one mis-guided (and lost) cause.

no offence

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
[You know, people have been fighting for civil rights in this country for more than a hundred years, and the BLM is in many ways a continuation of a movement that got very big about 55 years ago. And that movement actually disrupted things, faced condemnation from many white people, and had some small success. Just sayin'.

yeah. and as a general rule of thumb, the folks on here criticizing BLM now are the same folks who were criticizing MLK back then.[/quote]

Hmmmm, I don't think so. BLM is a black anti police movement....as demonstrated by their actions. You only hear/see them when a white cop shoots a black thug usually in the process of committing a crime and/or resisting arrest. They could care less about any of the other hundreds of black lives who are killed by other blacks every week.....they are nowhere to be found. MLK headed up a legitimate/needed civil rights movement that both blacks and whites supported. The two groups are at opposite ends of the spectrum and you are really insulting MLK and others who supported the civil rights movement of the 60's by putting these two groups/issues in the same conversation.
Last edited by: gphin305: Sep 29, 15 21:37
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
[

Hmmmm, I don't think so. BLM is a black anti police movement....as demonstrated by their actions. MLK headed up a legitimate/needed civil rights movement that both blacks and whites supported. The two groups are at opposite ends of the spectrum and you are really insulting MLK and others who supported the civil rights movement of the 60's by putting these two groups/issues in the same conversation.

1) you are grossly misrepresenting what BLM is and is trying to achieve

2) there are many whites who support them

3) you are grossly misrepresenting the amount of bi-racial support MLK had.

It is easy, in hindsight, to say that MLK marched in support of "much needed / legitimate" civil rights.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
[

Hmmmm, I don't think so. BLM is a black anti police movement....as demonstrated by their actions. MLK headed up a legitimate/needed civil rights movement that both blacks and whites supported. The two groups are at opposite ends of the spectrum and you are really insulting MLK and others who supported the civil rights movement of the 60's by putting these two groups/issues in the same conversation.

It is easy, in hindsight, to say that MLK marched in support of "much needed / legitimate" civil rights.

x2.
i still think blocking the marathon's a dumb idea though.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
[

So you're position is BLM support the police, a majority or at least a plurality of whites support BLM, and MLK had little to no white support?
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
I get your point, but this is not the early 60's in the deep south where: You couldn't ride in the front of the bus, or sit at a particular lunch counter - by law.

Segregation of lunch counters was not (generally) by laws, but rather by company/store policies. That particular struggle was about equal access to businesses serving the public, not against laws prevent black people from using those businesses. (There may have been cases of law through local ordinances setting up segregation, but I never heard of that). The big boycott that started at a Woolworth's somewhere is an example. Woolworth the company chose to discriminate.

In the case of buses, yes they were generally public buses and there were in some cases local laws or ordinances enforcing the segregation. But in many cases it was just agency policy, not law. And in some not even policy. In the case of the most famous struggle (Rosa Parks and the Montgomery bus boycott) there was no law or official policy of discrimination. Rather, the bus drivers had authority to say who would sit where and give other orders about stuff on their buses, and they chose to discriminate.

This is analogous to the stop-and-frisk and other violent racist practices in police departments like NYC until recently and in others - no laws saying that police should treat black men differently, but they do. And BLM is protesting that, among other things. BLM is a new name, but it's part of a continuous struggle against a continuous set of issues.

I suggest you be bit more introspective about where your opinions are coming from since they don't have a good factual grounding in terms of history.

No offence.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear the 50 women to Kona movement are going to block the finish on Palani road this year.

Not sure if I should put that in pink.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
I get your point, but this is not the early 60's in the deep south where: You couldn't ride in the front of the bus, or sit at a particular lunch counter - by law.

Segregation of lunch counters was not (generally) by laws, but rather by company/store policies. That particular struggle was about equal access to businesses serving the public, not against laws prevent black people from using those businesses. (There may have been cases of law through local ordinances setting up segregation, but I never heard of that). The big boycott that started at a Woolworth's somewhere is an example. Woolworth the company chose to discriminate.

In the case of buses, yes they were generally public buses and there were in some cases local laws or ordinances enforcing the segregation. But in many cases it was just agency policy, not law. And in some not even policy. In the case of the most famous struggle (Rosa Parks and the Montgomery bus boycott) there was no law or official policy of discrimination. Rather, the bus drivers had authority to say who would sit where and give other orders about stuff on their buses, and they chose to discriminate.

This is analogous to the stop-and-frisk and other violent racist practices in police departments like NYC until recently and in others - no laws saying that police should treat black men differently, but they do. And BLM is protesting that, among other things. BLM is a new name, but it's part of a continuous struggle against a continuous set of issues.

I suggest you be bit more introspective about where your opinions are coming from since they don't have a good factual grounding in terms of history.

No offence.

the exact details don't matter so much, we're in general agreement. That discrimination (de jura, and/or de facto (sp)) happened. Nobody is prohibited from participating in TCM. Well, I guess if you can't or won't pay the entry fee. but...

From what I've been led to believe that the prime beneficiaries of "stop and frisk" were the very locals that were "stopped and frisked." But, I'm sure someone will measure data to see if that's really true, since they don't do that anymore.

I can't imagine stopping marathon participants at mile 25 will somehow achieve the results they desire; attention yes, but not all attention is positive/beneficial. Someone will no doubt measure that as well, and, I could be wrong

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
BLM protesters shut down I-93 in Boston during the morning rush hour by chaining themselves to barrels in the roadway. Created a massive traffic jam and delayed at least one ambulance on its way to a Boston hospital. As you'd expect, the action was widely condemned even by those sympathetic to the group.

IOW widely condemned by white people who claim to be sympathetic to the group, as long as it doesn't actually inconvenience anyone, especially themselves

Well, this thread has gone downhill, but since this comment was directed at me, it might be worth passing on a few facts. Actually, the organizers of this particular protest were largely white. And more than a few members of the Black community were not at all happy about this action. And not just a matter of being inconvenienced, as some people seriously injured in a car crash in Easton had to be diverted to a lower-tier local hospital instead of a level one trauma center in Boston. But if you think it's a good idea to support protests that could have been dreamed up by an agent provocateur infiltrator to discredit the organization, hey have at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
I hear the 50 women to Kona movement are going to block the finish on Palani road this year.

Not sure if I should put that in pink.

Ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
BLM. Terrorists plain and simple

No, no too shrill. I suggest coining a term "botherists". They can join the West Baptists.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
BLM protesters shut down I-93 in Boston during the morning rush hour by chaining themselves to barrels in the roadway. Created a massive traffic jam and delayed at least one ambulance on its way to a Boston hospital. As you'd expect, the action was widely condemned even by those sympathetic to the group. The organizer of this protest apparently adheres to the same school of "let's just piss everyone off in a totally counterproductive way."

The saddest thing about this was the pathetic response by the police. What this group did endangered lives and put peoples lives at risk. Instead of tolerating the crap, Boston should have bought in a tow truck, wrapped a chain around the middle of the blockade and dragged them off the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange that the BLM crowd advocates every solution and idea EXCEPT obeying the law and not violently attacking law enforcement.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
so... i am absolutely The Only One? i know nothing of the cause as I don't live in teh USA but from what i read there is a huge disparity of racism up there, culminating in huge societal factors - one of which is that black folk seem to have targets on them. is there not a huge disparity between black and white seen through many different layers of society, from education to jail?

honestly, were i running the marathon and experienced an event (can't remember the word to use) at mile 25 i would either take a rest or join in. the idea of my white ass being inconvenienced during a hobby to bring awareness - it reeks of elitism to be bothered by forcing awareness of such a grave situation. were none of you Vietnam War protesters? were none of you Cesar Chavez and farm workers' awareness fighters?

Perhaps you need to pull your head out of the sand and get beyond they hype. For every Trayvon Martin, there is a De'Marquise Elkins.

Elkins, who does not get the bad press because he is black, shot a baby in the face because the bother did not have money when she was getting mugged.

Looking at the Department of Justice Statistics, during 2012 - 2013 blacks committed 560K violent crimes against whites and whites committed 99K crimes against blacks. Then wrap your head around the fact that there are 5x as many whites as blacks. The rate of white on hispanic violence is twice that of white on black crime.

In fact, more whites are arrested for crimes than blacks. 2012 for example, 6.5M whites vs 2.6M blacks. The difference again, more blacks commit murder and manslaughter 4203 vs 4101 even though whites make up a larger population (blacks 5x more likely to commit murder statistically) Even in the area of say rape, that is 9K white and 4.5K black, though the percentage of black on white rape far exceeds the opposite, by almost 10:1.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Perhaps you need to pull your head out of the sand and get beyond they hype.

Most black criminals who commit crimes don't get much press and public denunciation because:
A: We have a justice system that general prosecutes them strongly
B: They don't claim to serve the public (ie me and you).

Of course it's bad if some random black guy kills anyone, but we know that he is generally going to face the full force of the law, so the level of outrage is appropriately less overall. The public, through the government, is already fighting those crimes.

BLM is about people working for the public not being accountable for their own crimes. That's outrageous. Crime, paid for through taxes, plus no justice afterwards. It's not the same as private crime plus justice afterwards, which is what black criminals generally face.

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
The great thing about duathlons is that you don't have to worry about this sort of thing happening.....

BlackLivesMatter leader: Yes, the plan is we're going to block them from finishing that 2nd run, damn
right all 50 of them.

People's gonna finally wake up and take notice now. Where's the media? How come
there ain't no news cameras?

Just a small critique: you do realize that your blacklivesmatter dialogue implies that they are uneducated people who can't speak proper English, and that is kind of racist. Just a little bit. You're kind of helping make their point that racism is ingrained everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

BlackLivesMatter leader: Yes, the plan is we're going to block them from finishing that 2nd run, damn
right all 50 of them.

People's gonna finally wake up and take notice now. Where's the media? How come
there ain't no news cameras?

Just a small critique: you do realize that your blacklivesmatter dialogue implies that they are uneducated people who can't speak proper English, and that is kind of racist. Just a little bit. You're kind of helping make their point that racism is ingrained everywhere.

No, I think a lot of people including myself speak that way when talking informally and off the cuff. I'm sorry if it comes off that way.

The actual leader of this chapter is very well educated and well spoken but may have not thought this thing through all the way.

Is he prepared to wait around for the 6 hour marathoners? .

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Maui5150 wrote:
Perhaps you need to pull your head out of the sand and get beyond they hype.

BLM is about people working for the public not being accountable for their own crimes. That's outrageous. Crime, paid for through taxes, plus no justice afterwards. It's not the same as private crime plus justice afterwards, which is what black criminals generally face.

The amount of "injustice" pales in comparison to the real racial violence. Please by all means. Lets talk rape. What are the numbers of Black on White vs White on Black?

Murder?

In 2013:
3005 white people were killed. 2509 were killed by whites (white on white), 409 were killed by blacks. (remainder other or unknown)
2491 blacks were killed. 189 by whites, 2245 by blacks (remainder other or unknown)

13% of white murders were black on white. 7% of black murders were by whites.

When looking at police shootings through part of this year, 171 shot by police were white, 100 were black and 54 hispanic (60 others/unknown)

Looking at the 385 fatal shootings that were compiled, only 3 resulted in an officer being charged, in other words far more whites were shot and killed and the officers did not have charges filed against them than blacks. Ironically those three cases break down to charges being brought in the killing of 2 blacks and 1 white.

And take a look at Gilbert Collar.

Heard of him?

He was an 18-year-old white student at the University of South Alabama. He was shot and killed while naked, unarmed and under the influence of drugs by a black police officer.

You hear of Michael Brown, but when a black cop, shoots and UNARMED AND NAKED WHITE BOY... Not talk of that.

Trevis Austin, the black officer was cleared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:

You hear of Michael Brown, but when a black cop, shoots and UNARMED AND NAKED WHITE BOY... Not talk of that.

Trevis Austin, the black officer was cleared.

To me, this is the same story that BLM is pushing - that we need much more accountability of police and a break down of the blue wall of silence.

If you want to stop things like that in the future, you should support BLM. BLM has never said that that stuff is OK and I've read them say about police abuse against white people that that is outrageous too. They're naturally more worked up by police violence against black people, because that is reflective of institutional racism. But your bringing up this case is exactly aligned with the sort of outrage BLM is expressing.

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might it be more constructive to wear their Black Lives Matter T-shirts and work the aid stations?

"Here's your Gatorade, remember black lives matter."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

BLM is about people working for the public not being accountable for their own crimes. That's outrageous. Crime, paid for through taxes, plus no justice afterwards. It's not the same as private crime plus justice afterwards, which is what black criminals generally face.[/quote]

OMG! Really? Please explain the crime committed by officer Darren Wilson......which started this entire BLM "movement".
Last edited by: gphin305: Sep 30, 15 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has turned to shi*

I was hoping for some dark humor here and there but dang

Last edited by: ou8acracker2: Sep 30, 15 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Sounds like a completely reasonable way to gain support for their cause.

you can't be serious. you really think that people who have trained for and traveled to the event will feel good about being blocked from finishing at mile 25 ?

i'll tell you this: no way in hades i'd be prevented from finishing the marathon. blood will spill (and not mine) if need be.

I think your sarcasm detection meter is broken, friendo!

no sarcasm here. and you ain't my friendo. frankly, you're something else i can't say here......

Ok, let me spell it out for you. You asked if I was being serious with my initial post. I explained that it was meant to be sarcastic, thus implying that no, I was not serious and that we are, in fact, in agreement.

Now what exactly were you going to call me?
Touchy crowd.. Must be the off season or something.

And... this is why I stay in the LR. Too many idiots on this forum.

Yeah, I said it. The idiots are not in the LR, they're here, they're queer, they don't want any more bears.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Sounds like a completely reasonable way to gain support for their cause.

you can't be serious. you really think that people who have trained for and traveled to the event will feel good about being blocked from finishing at mile 25 ?

i'll tell you this: no way in hades i'd be prevented from finishing the marathon. blood will spill (and not mine) if need be.

I think your sarcasm detection meter is broken, friendo!

no sarcasm here. and you ain't my friendo. frankly, you're something else i can't say here......

Ok, let me spell it out for you. You asked if I was being serious with my initial post. I explained that it was meant to be sarcastic, thus implying that no, I was not serious and that we are, in fact, in agreement.

Now what exactly were you going to call me?
Touchy crowd.. Must be the off season or something.

And... this is why I stay in the LR. Too many idiots on this forum.

Yeah, I said it. The idiots are not in the LR, they're here, they're queer, they don't want any more bears.

Yup. The posts, followed by the deleting of his post without him, you know, offering any kind of acknowledgement that he might have over reacted or something, is pretty funny as well. Well played, angry tri-geek, well played.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next