Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i'm waffling on this. it seems to me that one way to get us back to having permits granted for races is just to require proof of vaccination for entry, until we don't need to anymore. i recognize this is a political football right now. but it's just public health. i believe this is a requirement for kids to attend school, no? once we get past the pandemic, we're back to normal. but for 2021, it seems to me a reasonable discussion point.

israel has a "green passport" which is basically this. if i owned a restaurant, for example, or a gym, i'd eagerly embrace this idea. there would be no reason for me to be denied the ability to provide a service to those who can prove they're vaccinated, and i think i'd get a lot of business if folks knew everyone in my establishment had been vaccinated.

what say you?

The horse of having a safe and secure proof of vaccination (record) has left the barn.

Everybody can make their own vaccination card in minutes. There is no security whatsoever.

But sure, if it makes people feel better. LoL.

I have to vaccinate my dog for rabies and pay for tags. I suppose I could save a couple bucks by getting a counterfeit but I dont. Why people want to take on some elaborate scheme when vaccines are free is beyond me.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
trail wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

"Pentagon leaders say they will not require their personnel to take the vaccine until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gives its full approval of the drug. So far, the FDA has only given emergency authorization that allowed for the initial distribution of the vaccine. It could be up to two years before the full approval comes, military officials have told VOA."

Getting side-tracked, but I think it's important to not mischaracterize what the DoD is doing. Don't mistake the lack of requirement for lack of intent to broadly vaccinate the U.S. armed forces, and quickly. And the U.S. Navy is doing things like relaxing requirements for quarantines, restrictions on port calls, etc, for those who are vaccinate. DoD leadership is very much pushing 100% vaccination by voluntary means.

So maybe think of a race in California like getting some shore leave. Those who are vaccinated are free to take off for some bar-hopping over the weekend. Everyone else stays on the ship. But no one is required to get the vaccine.

Tbere is no mischaracterization. DoD is 100% behind the vaccination program and using every legal means to push it, both ethical (like education programs) and unethical (such as your punitive example). The latter type of action is par for the course in the military. Before they were stopped on the anthrax program, military members were court martialed and/or discharged for not taking the shot. So many quit the service over it that congressional hearings were held. No doubt, the long history of DoD using members as guinea pigs is hampering current efforts to achieve full compliance.

To reiterate, I am vaccinated. But I feel strongly that there should not be any government sponsored benefits for taking an experimental vaccine.

Problem is, we are not talking about government sponsored, but some sort of random requirement from a race director.
Which makes it a different and more complex issue. Given the nature of it, not a pretty one.
You donā€˜t need to disclose a medical condition to some random person. You are free to lie, if Ironman asks you about it.
You may not be able to successfully sue Ironman, if your condition causes you harm during the race.
But unless thereā€™s a law, the RD has no legal leg to stand on if you present a fake Vaccine card to race.
The more I think about it, the more it just becomes another nuisance (like having to sign a meaningless waver).

(Not drunk yet).
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i'm waffling on this. it seems to me that one way to get us back to having permits granted for races is just to require proof of vaccination for entry, until we don't need to anymore. i recognize this is a political football right now. but it's just public health. i believe this is a requirement for kids to attend school, no? once we get past the pandemic, we're back to normal. but for 2021, it seems to me a reasonable discussion point.

israel has a "green passport" which is basically this. if i owned a restaurant, for example, or a gym, i'd eagerly embrace this idea. there would be no reason for me to be denied the ability to provide a service to those who can prove they're vaccinated, and i think i'd get a lot of business if folks knew everyone in my establishment had been vaccinated.

what say you?

The horse of having a safe and secure proof of vaccination (record) has left the barn.

Everybody can make their own vaccination card in minutes. There is no security whatsoever.

But sure, if it makes people feel better. LoL.

I have to vaccinate my dog for rabies and pay for tags. I suppose I could save a couple bucks by getting a counterfeit but I dont. Why people want to take on some elaborate scheme when vaccines are free is beyond me.

Great it was easy for you to get vaccinated. Most arenā€™t that privileged.

And no, wouldnā€™t cheat on dog tags.
Thatā€™s law, and outsourced to a county contractor that is eager to please local government, which can result in your dogs being taken.

SMH.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a really dumb idea. Want to see this sport contract into oblivion? Do this.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe just have waves for vaxxed and non-vaxxed participants. Separate the transitions and give the vaccinated a head start to keep away from the freedom-loving no-chip athletes. More motivation to stay out front.

Race officials to give fines for spitting? Separate finish areas?

Sure would help with the drafting if you knew the person in front of you had a dry cough and could no longer taste their nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Leave is Earned. Denying leave is the first way to get a commander fired. Not sure if you've noticed, but command climate in a lot of places is poor. So please take the bad idea fairy and get him out of your life.

I was referring to this article stating that Navy crews with 100% vaccination rates can relax COVID restrictions, including the 14-day pre-deployment quarantine requirements and more port calls, e.g. "Immunized sailors will also be able to get off the ship and enjoy expanded liberty in ā€œsafe haven portsā€ like Guam or Bahrain." I apologize for implying that 14-day quarantine is like leave restriction. But that is a pretty huge incentive. I'm sure no one wants to be that last guy preventing a port call. (assuming the article is correct).
Last edited by: trail: Apr 7, 21 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DoN clearly doesn't know jack about its own force. They consistently have the lowest morale across the service and have the most O-5 and O-6 unit level commanders across the DoD fired. You know they're doing "that" because the quite healthy population that is represented across the DoD is like...naw fam, I'll wait until it's fully approved.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a few others have alluded to, I think this is a "solution" to a non problem.

Triathlons almost always happen outdoors. There are almost zero documented cases of covid spread outdoors, except in a few rare circumstances that would not be present in an outdoor triathlon.

Following the science seems very clear here. Why put up a high bar blockade to an outcome that is exceptionally remote. Seems like a swim test passport would save way more lives, but that would probably never fly.

https://medicalxpress.com/...rare-impossible.html

Also, I'm definitely not anti vaxxer, proudly got my vaccine a few months ago. Why can't science be the path to what should be unrestricted?

In a few weeks, per Biden, everyone remaining should start to have access to the vaccine. If people choose not to, why should that prevent racing?

Lastly, many (most? ) colleges allow you to not have vaccines if you claim religious reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you do about the individual who has natural immunity from prior infection?
The fit triathlete is probably the lowest risk person to get covid and become dangerously ill from it. Most who get covid are midlly affected by it. It is the smaller percentage who have an adverse reaction to the viral infection and develop serious pulmonary ocmplications. Unfortunatley, these people are also those less likely to respond appropriately to vaccination and develop protective vaccine related immunity. The community is poorly informed about the virus and what it does and why its bad.
Covid binds to the ace receptors in the lungs and attacks the type II alveolar cells which are responsible for surfactant production. In those who do poorly from the infection, they loose these cells and the lungs cannot absorb oxygen effectively because of the lack of surfactant much like a premature baby. Why this happens in some and not others is unclear. Clearly there is some genetic predisposition and less obvious is why children are so resilent in general. The vaccine efficacy is over rated. Trials did not sample population groups representation of the real population with large exclusion criteria for participation in the trials for the Pzifer and Moderna vaccines. Typical flu vaccines have efficacies in the 50-60% range and we will probably over time see this with the mrna vaccines. Remember most dont get sick from the virus so the demonitor for efficacy should be those at risk and not include those not at risk. The vaccinated also can harbor the virus in a lower grade infection and the transmissibility of the virus in these circumstances is unclear. Bottom line the vaccine is far from perfect. For the individual the benefit of the vaccine is based on risk benefit ratio. Astra Zeneca s vaccine already is in quesiton becasue of hypercoaguable complications. Manadating the vaccine in this circumstance is complicated. Polio hurt everyone, so does measles, mumps, rubella.Here the risk benefit ratio is more clear. These are also conventional vaccines and these diseases unlike the cornavirus are not mutating rapidly.
These vaccines have only been granted an emergency user authorization. They do not have long term followup for complications. I do not pretend to have the answer, but taking a strong stance on either side of the argument is wrong because both sides are missing too much information for a valid conclusion.
At the end of the day it does not matter if you get covid, only if you get covid and the covid progresses and cause severe to crtiical symptoms. Therapeutics for the disease are the best answer. There are many solutions coming for this around the corner. If we can mitigate the incidence at which this viral infection progresses to severe/critical conditons in people then we have a solution which is durable and safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Within the Boston Marathonā€™s update today was a statement that participants might need to provide proof of two negative COVID tests to be able to race.

Given the choice, Iā€™d rather provide proof of vaccination - much less of a hassle and much cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
There are almost zero documented cases of covid spread outdoors, except in a few rare circumstances that would not be present in an outdoor triathlon.

This was before the British variant, the Brazilian one, the South African one, and all the future ones.

Sorry!

Since we're on the subject, I still want to link to this excellent article about COVID spread. In short: masks are highly effective against larger droplets (sneeze, cough, shout, sing, spit inadvertently ever so slightly), less so against aerosols, time of exposure to aerosol is very important, as is ventillation. Aerosols pretty much harmless outdoors. This was before the British variant however.

https://english.elpais.com/...through-the-air.html

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, I doubt RDs are going to pay someone to check on folks vaccine status assuming they can even get access to the information independently. The best they could probably do is to limit the race to vaccinated participants then leave it up to the athletes to comply. I don't expect to see that. Meanwhile, we are debating an unlikely, theoretical proposition.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
wetswimmer99 wrote:
There are almost zero documented cases of covid spread outdoors, except in a few rare circumstances that would not be present in an outdoor triathlon.

This was before the British variant, the Brazilian one, the South African one, and all the future ones.

Sorry!

Since we're on the subject, I still want to link to this excellent article about COVID spread. In short: masks are highly effective against larger droplets (sneeze, cough, shout, sing, spit inadvertently ever so slightly), less so against aerosols, time of exposure to aerosol is very important, as is ventillation. Aerosols pretty much harmless outdoors. This was before the British variant however.

https://english.elpais.com/...through-the-air.html

Your referenced article only mentions indoors. Please back up your statements with some type of study or research or latest expert thinking. I would like to read source(s) to your statements.

This article from BBC March 29th, continues to state exactly what I stated. Outdoor transmission not an issue.

https://www.bbc.com/.../explainers-55680305

This article mentions variants are also extremely difficult to spread outdoors. Again, outdoor triathlon participation seems to be an exceptionally low covid concern.

https://www.vox.com/...outdoor-transmission

Thanks.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 8, 21 5:39
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The survey needs a 4th option... "You are already signed up for all the races you want to do and none of them require anything about vaccines."

I have a full race calendar for 2021 already. No races in the four states I will be racing have mentioned anything about vaccines.

I will be fully vaccinated before my 2nd race. I am kind of in the "I don't care" camp, because I had assumed that vaccine passports were a fait accompli for the US. But, that seems to be dying a little in recent political rhetoric.

The nut is that I think the ship sailed and most of the US will do what it was going to do anyway independent of a vaccine requirement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m not sure about all states on this. My wife is a public school teacher in California. Currently all students attending public school must be vaccinated. Measles, Chicken Pox ETC. The COVID vaccines are not FDA approved as of yet so they are not required to attend school.

On another note. Iā€™m riding my bike on the coast highway stopped at a stop light. A rider pulls up along side and we chat about that particular light (do you stop or roll it?). An older guy running stops 6 feet away and yells at us for not having masks on and being less than 6 feet apart.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
An older guy running stops 6 feet away and yells at us for not having masks on and being less than 6 feet apart.
good ol virtue signaling at its best. i despise todays general society / population.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

"Pentagon leaders say they will not require their personnel to take the vaccine until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gives its full approval of the drug. So far, the FDA has only given emergency authorization that allowed for the initial distribution of the vaccine. It could be up to two years before the full approval comes, military officials have told VOA."

Another quote from the Pentagon...

"We can't make you do anything, but we can make you sure wish you did..."

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Iā€™m not sure about all states on this. My wife is a public school teacher in California. Currently all students attending public school must be vaccinated. Measles, Chicken Pox ETC. The COVID vaccines are not FDA approved as of yet so they are not required to attend school.

On another note. Iā€™m riding my bike on the coast highway stopped at a stop light. A rider pulls up along side and we chat about that particular light (do you stop or roll it?). An older guy running stops 6 feet away and yells at us for not having masks on and being less than 6 feet apart.

Clearly your 2 man 30 second super spreader outdoor cycling event needed a public lecture

But seriously speaking by now there is soooo much evidence that outdoors is safe, that we can go ahead with our outdoor activities, but its not worth fighting people on it. Just put our heads down and roll away to the distance. But we do need more communication by public health officials in some countries to leave outdoor people alone. Where I live in Canada, our city's head of public health is saying "even outdoors is not safe" so stuff like that is not helping data driven public communication.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:

Duffy

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The survey needs a 4th option... "You are already signed up for all the races you want to do and none of them require anything about vaccines."

I have a full race calendar for 2021 already. No races in the four states I will be racing have mentioned anything about vaccines.

I will be fully vaccinated before my 2nd race. I am kind of in the "I don't care" camp, because I had assumed that vaccine passports were a fait accompli for the US. But, that seems to be dying a little in recent political rhetoric.

The nut is that I think the ship sailed and most of the US will do what it was going to do anyway independent of a vaccine requirement.

one thing, as a point of order. i worded the poll specifically. this isn't about whether racing outdoors w/wo a vaccine is safe/unsafe. it's about the ability of a race to obtain a permit. how many of the races we've all signed up for in the last year have been canceled? and are still being canceled? you probably aren't racing in the northeast, or on the west coast.

however, i take your point. it may well be a pointless exercise, if we're all going to be more/less okay by july anyway.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
As a few others have alluded to, I think this is a "solution" to a non problem.

Triathlons almost always happen outdoors. There are almost zero documented cases of covid spread outdoors, except in a few rare circumstances that would not be present in an outdoor triathlon.

Following the science seems very clear here. Why put up a high bar blockade to an outcome that is exceptionally remote. Seems like a swim test passport would save way more lives, but that would probably never fly.

who are you trying to convince? were it me, yes, i'd grant the permits to RDs. i'm not the one standing in the way of races taking place. i don't know if a covid passport will be needed past, say, midsummer. but you write as if you think i'm trying to make races safer. the idea is to allow races to occur.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SDJ wrote:

Clearly your 2 man 30 second super spreader outdoor cycling event needed a public lecture

But seriously speaking by now there is soooo much evidence that outdoors is safe, that we can go ahead with our outdoor activities, but its not worth fighting people on it. Just put our heads down and roll away to the distance. But we do need more communication by public health officials in some countries to leave outdoor people alone. Where I live in Canada, our city's head of public health is saying "even outdoors is not safe" so stuff like that is not helping data driven public communication.

Yes, but you wouldn't know it considering the number of people who are still afraid to race, and some public health officials who make policy based upon worst-case conjecture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
SDJ wrote:

Yes, but you wouldn't know it considering the number of people who are still afraid to race, and some public health officials who make policy based upon worst-case conjecture.

in my opinion, what you write here is precisely my point, tho many people here - perhaps you as well - don't seem to understand the ramifications of what you write. the point of a covid passport isn't that the race is necessarily safer. now, it may well be safer, when you consider all the stuff that happens adjacent to the race (registration, expo, what have you), but the point is that you can make your point all day long about the relative safety of outdoor activities, but if the guy stamping the permit doesn't stamp the permit, what did you achieve? what did you win? you're still home, sitting on your arse, watching bowling.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
SDJ wrote:

in my opinion, what you write here is precisely my point, tho many people here - perhaps you as well - don't seem to understand the ramifications of what you write. the point of a covid passport isn't that the race is necessarily safer. now, it may well be safer, when you consider all the stuff that happens adjacent to the race (registration, expo, what have you), but the point is that you can make your point all day long about the relative safety of outdoor activities, but if the guy stamping the permit doesn't stamp the permit, what did you achieve? what did you win? you're still home, sitting on your arse, watching bowling.

I think this is the point that many are missing with this. I don't think many think that racing outdoors while socially distanced is unsafe but the issue is that cities do not want thousands of people from all around coming into their town for days and possibly spreading the virus. But if we can show that we are vaccinated and safe then maybe it would make those making the permit decisions more willing to grant them because the chance of it spreading go down significantly.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
one thing, as a point of order. i worded the poll specifically. this isn't about whether racing outdoors w/wo a vaccine is safe/unsafe. it's about the ability of a race to obtain a permit. how many of the races we've all signed up for in the last year have been canceled? and are still being canceled? you probably aren't racing in the northeast, or on the west coast.

however, i take your point. it may well be a pointless exercise, if we're all going to be more/less okay by july anyway.
Yep, I totally get it. The issue about racing is massively regional. Some of the states with some of the most popular races in the US (CA, NC, MA, HI, IL, etc.) Have huge uncertainty. Most (all) of their spring races have postponed to the fall. And, Europe is on the brink of another total cancellation year unless they can get their cases and vaccine rollout under control.

And no, I am not racing in the west or NE. (I hate that IMLP is on the brink. I was signed up for that in 2019 but couldn't go. It is on my list for someday.)

Edit: I am firmly in the "I don't care" category if that existed in the survey. For example, I want to do Hawaii 70.3 in June, if my family vacation schedule aligns. However, I am doubtful Hawaii will allow it. If Hawaii would approve the race if the RD would require proof of vaccination, then I would be thrilled. So, maybe I am a "Yes," depending on the wording of the question. But for me, maybe the wording would be "Yes, I would be supportive of vaccination requirement if a race I desired to run could only be held with this precondition of all participants."
Last edited by: exxxviii: Apr 8, 21 8:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next