Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@cyclenutnz

Can you tell me if the Aeria Ultimate Bars come with the riser blocks included in the box as I would need to run plenty of them. Also how does the extension tilt work with riser blocks in place? Are there any photos of a Aeria Ultimate with max stack fitted?

Stock bars on my Shiv currently have 65mm of spacers giving me a arm pad stack of 727mm from BB with 15mm of spacers above the stem as I was a 743mm before I managed to drop it. Frame stack is 540mm. Need to be able to obtain current fit as a minimum, ideally with room to move up if I choose to race full distance in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Mj46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The max aerobar stack (from headtube to top of pads) is 168mm with all pad spacers and 40mm under the stem.
So 708 Pad Y on your Shiv
The down angled stem doesn't work so well for you, would need to combine with a normal -6 stem to get more height.

Yes, all the risers are included in the kit. The tilt works exactly the same regardless of spacers.
From another thread in the forum:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, sadly I'm still not sure if I'd be able to obtain my fit. Here is my Retul Zin from the original position 15mm taller than the current one. Could you advise?
Last edited by: Mj46: Nov 9, 17 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here is a photo of the amount of steerer I have to play with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither image nor measurements are showing up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have FB messaged you as couldn't post photos from my phone for some reason. Thanks for your help, it's great to have someone who knows their stuff to ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it easier to email you? Best address?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to be sceptic, but is the 22° really true? Even PD now publishes 17° for both lengths (https://profile-design.com/collections/stems/products/aeria-ultimate-stem )
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blabelzabel wrote:
Sorry to be sceptic, but is the 22° really true? Even PD now publishes 17° for both lengths (https://profile-design.com/collections/stems/products/aeria-ultimate-stem )

The website is wrong.
The stem is designed to give a 12mm stack above the headset (centre of the bar), so the true angle depends on how you want to calculate it. It wasn't designed with an angle in mind as the sizing is XY based.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Blabelzabel wrote:

The website is wrong.
The stem is designed to give a 12mm stack above the headset (centre of the bar), so the true angle depends on how you want to calculate it. It wasn't designed with an angle in mind as the sizing is XY based.

Sorry, old thread but to confirm my understanding I think this would achieve 10mm lower pad stack (all else being equal) for me on my P3C compared to the older Tririg Sigma XF. I know you get pestered a lot, but have I got that right? Assuming you are familiar with the older Tririg geometry (which I think you are :-) ).

Noted I will also have 10mm extra reach if I go for the 100mm stem, which might be a good thing for me.

Appreciate your help, cheers.

Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

compared to

That's for a 73deg HTA
So yes, a 10mm stack reduction (or 9.82 if you wish to be fussy).
The AU stem is a bit heavier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks David, really appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question: does the AU stem have a hole on the underside of the stem for routing for a straight-pull brake?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does, there's an older thread about the AU stem and hydration system, this has some pictures of the front brake routing
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there is a barrel adjuster cable stop that threads into the underside. However, the exit angle is not great (there are pics in the other thread)
If you're wanting it for that purpose you would be better to wait till the next production run is released as the exit angle is sorted and the routing out the top is easier too. Unfortunately that won't be out until the end of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any experience with the 100mm stem and charging/accessing the di2 junction box?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmyh49aus wrote:
Do you have any experience with the 100mm stem and charging/accessing the di2 junction box?

You have to take the EW90 out to get at the charging port. It's not particularly convenient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you mention a second, modified, production run... do you think you can motivate the PD people to come up with something to hide the Blipbox? Not inside the stem of course, but on top and covered with a snap-on or magnet (like Tririg Brake) cover. That could probably be made to align with the hydration to make it clean. I know it´s not easy (give the size of this damned Blipbox), but would be very nice... and might be possible as stem and hydration have a fixed position with AU.

Just an idea ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I work at a bike shop and recently installed this stem on my SHIV along with the Aeria BTA attachment (yes, I run double straws!) AMA!

Couple general notes to start:
1) Yes, It is crazy heavy (don’t know exactly how many g, but the guys at the shop call it ‘the brick’).
2) The setup Is super clean once the BTA is installed.
3) I haven’t noticed handling to be affected enough to complain. High speed flats, downhill, crosswinds, etc all good. You only feel water swish when out of the saddle climbing.
4) trying to get aero testing to compare CdA with/without BTA attached. Will keep posted on that.
Last edited by: kevpog: Jun 11, 18 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [kevpog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post a pic?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Yes, there is a barrel adjuster cable stop that threads into the underside. However, the exit angle is not great (there are pics in the other thread)
If you're wanting it for that purpose you would be better to wait till the next production run is released as the exit angle is sorted and the routing out the top is easier too. Unfortunately that won't be out until the end of the year.

I've just finished installing this on my IA.

Firstly I ran with the supplied BTA bracket without the aeria hydration. Unfortunately you need to run quite a few spacers to get this to work (ended up being 35mm or so when running at max tilt). For this I routed brake cable through the smaller hole because the threaded nut would foul with the headtube.

However now I wanted to get the pads lower (and the hydration arrived) the cable outlet I was using was then right behind the screw holes for the hydration clip so I had to drill another one somewhere in the middle of these 2 which then runs the cable as close to the headtube as possible - albeit with some minor rubbing.

It would be great to have a few predrilled holes for bikes with headtubes which stick out a bit...

On a similar note, the flat section around the threaded brake outlet is a pain on the IA as it fouls with the headtube if you want to run it slammed. I didn't want to run another 3mm of spacers under there so grinded that section back to the stem profile to allow me to run no spacers underneath.

Maybe this could be useful for future generations of this stem
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [Blabelzabel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blabelzabel wrote:
As you mention a second, modified, production run... do you think you can motivate the PD people to come up with something to hide the Blipbox?

I don't think you're going to see any component manufacturers working to hide the current blip box. The PD answer is to put it in the ATTK IC
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [paulmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The next generation has most of the things you've mentioned. It's just some different drilling and machining as the forgings cost too much to redo.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I tried to before. This should work now.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile design aeria ultimate stem? [paulmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulmartin wrote:

I've just finished installing this on my IA.

Hi Paul, I was wondering if you used the sculpted Felt headset bearing cap, and if so how far up into the stem does your steerer tube travel? I'm trying to put the Aeria stem on my wifes bike, and not thrilled with the distance between the top of the steerer and top of the stem...
Quote Reply

Prev Next