Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lakerfan, who posted above, was seeing personal best power improvements in the first few weeks of using them yet he refuses to give the cranks any credit for those improvements.

As I keep pointing out to you, this is utter BS. Stop trying to shove it down our throats.

Lakerfan never did any power testing during that period. Because his Powercranks broke.

Rik
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [rik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Lakerfan, who posted above, was seeing personal best power improvements in the first few weeks of using them yet he refuses to give the cranks any credit for those improvements.

As I keep pointing out to you, this is utter BS. Stop trying to shove it down our throats.

Lakerfan never did any power testing during that period. Because his Powercranks broke.

Rik
Again, why don't we let the reader decide for themselves. Here is a link to his experience and what he wrote at the time: Triorganic forum

I think most would intepret that result as his seeing substantial power improvement in a relatively short period of time even though he did no formal power testing.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik
Again, why don't we let the reader decide for themselves. Here is a link to his experience and what he wrote at the time: Triorganic forum

I think most would intepret that result as his seeing substantial power improvement in a relatively short period of time even though he did no formal power testing.
If you really wanted to "let the reader decide for themselves" you wouldn't say things that are patently false like "Lakerfan, who posted above, was seeing personal best power improvements in the first few weeks of using them".

You might also provide some context such as that Lakerfan used PCs extensively for a 8-9 month period, increased his training load by at least 30% over previous years and got a 20-watt increase in his FTP (or about 7-8%) at the end of that season. And logically attributes most if not all of that FTP increase to the increase in training load.

Rik

Rik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik

If you really wanted to "let the reader decide for themselves" you wouldn't say things that are patently false like "Lakerfan, who posted above, was seeing personal best power improvements in the first few weeks of using them".

You might also provide some context such as that Lakerfan used PCs extensively for a 8-9 month period, increased his training load by at least 30% over previous years and got a 20-watt increase in his FTP (or about 7-8%) at the end of that season. And logically attributes most if not all of that FTP increase to the increase in training load.

Rik

Rik
Hey, Rik, I would say some of what you are saying is "patently false". Lakerfan only used the cranks for about 5 months, as I remember, mid Dec to May. Further, most of my comments are going to the first 6 weeks of his training where the improvements are rapid and must be obvious, I suspect, even to you. He was seeing substantial average power increases for his training rides in the first 3 weeks that did not involve any increase "training load". In fact, it appears the "increase training load" that Lakerfan refers to (at least in these early sessions) is the fact he was riding at increasing power even though these did not involve any increased perceived effort. Even though he is riding at increased power, if the effort is not greater then I would not call that an increased training load. Something else caused the change, IMHO.

Anyhow, my statement "Lakerfan, who posted above, was seeing personal best power improvements in the first few weeks of using them" is my interpretation of his posted efforts. I would love to hear from anyone else who reads his blog that comes up with a different conclusion. I mean, it was the conclusion of Lakerfan himself as he kept writing words to the effect "I have never done such and such before."

So, let each decide for themselves. I don't see many coming here and supporting your view even though lots here seem to like to pile on to me whenever there is an opportunity. But, this is a good example for discussion as to what might be causing what.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So, let each decide for themselves. I don't see many coming here and supporting your view even though lots here seem to like to pile on to me whenever there is an opportunity. But, this is a good example for discussion as to what might be causing what.

There was a big discussion on another thread involving others "coming here" and telling you that you were wrong on this issue. Including lakerfan himself and tigermilk, and others.

The gist of it, in case you forgot, was that someone riding around on a new toy at sub-FTP intensities at a power output completely within the predicted range for the FTP of the rider is no kind of indication of a power increase.

You ignored my earlier question that if lakerfan really saw a 10% increase in the first few weeks of riding with PCs, why did he have only a 7-8% increase in his FTP (when he actually tested it) after using PCs for x months (I don't feel like looking that up again) and increasing his mileage 30% from previous seasons.

Maybe you could answer that now. To make it easy for you, I'll make it a multiple choice format:
a) he didn't really have a 10% increase in power in the first 6 weeks
b) he had a 10% power increase in the first 6 weeks, but using PCs for x months caused a subsequent power decrease

Rik

P.S. have you contacted John Wiggins for that blog update yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank,

I know I never said I would comment on these type of threads again but I think it's important that people know the facts. No speculation -- just facts.

Look, I've said this many times over but I just don't know what the main contributor was to my increase in FTP that year. I simply changed too many variables. Like all things in this sport it was likely multi-factorial. The one thing I do know is that I was very very focused on achieving top 5 in my AG at IMC that year so I rode a ton. Is was quite common for me to ride 5x/week, for example. I also did some things (not on PCs) that I never did before like ride 6hrs @ IF between .77 and .81. Not sure about you but but if you ever want to kick your own ass real hard then just ride 6hrs @ IF of .81. It makes suffering through a set of indoor 2 x 20s seem like a walk on the beach with a hot Victoria Secret chick by your side (preferably Alessandra Ambrosia). ;-)

Now there are several ways I can provide you the data (eg miles/week, TSS/week, etc) but I can quantitatively tell you that my training load increased substantially. So, if we just focus on the facts then you can't ignore the fact that my training load increased. And if I was a betting man and you asked me to put my money on a guy training on PCs with no increase in training load vs a guy training on regular cranks with a 30% increase in training load then I'd put my annual salary on the latter dude.

Here's another data point, btw. Last year I trained on PCs from Oct - April but my training load decreased from the previous year. Interesting enough, my FTP probably dropped about 10w. I couldn't even maintain the same power for intervals or long rides but last year was just about survival for me. Now I don't talk about this too much because I also had an extremely mentally challenging time last year and that could have certainly played a significant role in my decreased performance.

Last thing... If anyone ever tells you they are 100% sure they know what contributed to their increase in power then I think they're (unintentionally) lying to you. The fact is that we all change way too many variables year to year to know for sure. And, as I stated above, it's almost always more than one factor that's reponsible for our improvement in the sport anyway. This is why I just try to focus on the funadamentals. We, including myself, all tend to debate the silly stuff way too often. It's entertaining but I'm getting too old. Just get out there and figure out a way to increase your training load. If that's using PCs then all the power to you.

If you want to talk about then details then let's talk about race execution... ;-)

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

There was a big discussion on another thread involving others "coming here" and telling you that you were wrong on this issue. Including lakerfan himself and tigermilk, and others.

The gist of it, in case you forgot, was that someone riding around on a new toy at sub-FTP intensities at a power output completely within the predicted range for the FTP of the rider is no kind of indication of a power increase.

You ignored my earlier question that if lakerfan really saw a 10% increase in the first few weeks of riding with PCs, why did he have only a 7-8% increase in his FTP (when he actually tested it) after using PCs for x months (I don't feel like looking that up again) and increasing his mileage 30% from previous seasons.

Maybe you could answer that now. To make it easy for you, I'll make it a multiple choice format:
b) he had a 10% power increase in the first 6 weeks, but using PCs for x months caused a subsequent power decrease

Rik

I am sorry, Lakerfan did not dispute his improvement, as I remember. I don't remember Tigermilk, either, disputing Lakerfan's improvement. The dispute as I see it (except with you) is not that there was or was not improvement during this period but why did the improvement occur? You are the only one that is denying that there was improvement in that first 6 weeks, that I know of.

Here is what he wrote in his very first post on them after about 1 month on the cranks. "You can clearly see that I've had a nice progression starting from about an average of 140 - 170 watts to consistently above 200 watts. I should point out that I don't believe I've ever managed more than 2 or 3 consecutive rides where I've averaged more than 200 watts on the trainer or outside. As you can see, my last 7 rides have all yielded an AP above 200 watts." So, he reported never having 3 rides in a row averaging over 200 watts before PC's to never having a training ride below 200 watts at about 4 weeks and being at about 220 watts average on his training rides at the end of 6 weeks. I would interpret that (and I suspect most others would also) to be about a 10% increase.

I cannot explain his failure to further that later when he did his testing although, if I remember correctly, he did have some sickness and other issues interfere with his training and racing, plus he stopped using the PowerCranks entirely after about 5 months. Lots of things can reduce performance for a race or testing. Few things can increase it. You have failed to explain his reported improvements (on his documented training time) in the first six weeks, other than to deny those reports indicate improvement. LOL.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik

I am sorry, Lakerfan did not dispute his improvement, as I remember. I don't remember Tigermilk, either, disputing Lakerfan's improvement. The dispute as I see it (except with you) is not that there was or was not improvement during this period but why did the improvement occur? You are the only one that is denying that there was improvement in that first 6 weeks, that I know of.

Here is what he wrote in his very first post on them after about 1 month on the cranks. "You can clearly see that I've had a nice progression starting from about an average of 140 - 170 watts to consistently above 200 watts. I should point out that I don't believe I've ever managed more than 2 or 3 consecutive rides where I've averaged more than 200 watts on the trainer or outside. As you can see, my last 7 rides have all yielded an AP above 200 watts." So, he reported never having 3 rides in a row averaging over 200 watts before PC's to never having a training ride below 200 watts at about 4 weeks and being at about 220 watts average on his training rides at the end of 6 weeks. I would interpret that (and I suspect most others would also) to be about a 10% increase.

I cannot explain his failure to further that later when he did his testing although, if I remember correctly, he did have some sickness and other issues interfere with his training and racing, plus he stopped using the PowerCranks entirely after about 5 months. Lots of things can reduce performance for a race or testing. Few things can increase it. You have failed to explain his reported improvements (on his documented training time) in the first six weeks, other than to deny those reports indicate improvement. LOL.
I'll take your answer as a 'b" then: He had a 10% power increase in the first 6 weeks, but using PCs for x months caused a subsequent power decrease. Despite increasing his training load 30%. Those PowerCranks giveth and taketh away, eh?

You don't seem to get it: someone riding around on a new toy at sub-FTP intensities at a power output completely within the predicted range for a given ride time given the FTP of the rider is no kind of indication of a power increase. Period.

The fact that you keep desperately clinging to this dubious "10% power increase in six weeks" idea in thread after thread is a sad reflection of the fact that you have no other data to go on. Have you talked to Jon Wiggins yet? He could surely supply you with some more meaningful data. C'mon Frank: some of the best track cyclists in the world were using your product as an integral part of their training for well more than a year, reported huge power gains initially, but then didn't show for Beijing. You're not a little curious to find out what happened?

Rik

Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank,

I know I never said I would comment on these type of threads again but I think it's important that people know the facts. No speculation -- just facts.

Look, I've said this many times over but I just don't know what the main contributor was to my increase in FTP that year. I simply changed too many variables. Like all things in this sport it was likely multi-factorial. The one thing I do know is that I was very very focused on achieving top 5 in my AG at IMC that year so I rode a ton. Is was quite common for me to ride 5x/week, for example. I also did some things (not on PCs) that I never did before like ride 6hrs @ IF between .77 and .81. Not sure about you but but if you ever want to kick your own ass real hard then just ride 6hrs @ IF of .81. It makes suffering through a set of indoor 2 x 20s seem like a walk on the beach with a hot Victoria Secret chick by your side (preferably Alessandra Ambrosia). ;-)

Now there are several ways I can provide you the data (eg miles/week, TSS/week, etc) but I can quantitatively tell you that my training load increased substantially. So, if we just focus on the facts then you can't ignore the fact that my training load increased. And if I was a betting man and you asked me to put my money on a guy training on PCs with no increase in training load vs a guy training on regular cranks with a 30% increase in training load then I'd put my annual salary on the latter dude.

Here's another data point, btw. Last year I trained on PCs from Oct - April but my training load decreased from the previous year. Interesting enough, my FTP probably dropped about 10w. I couldn't even maintain the same power for intervals or long rides but last year was just about survival for me. Now I don't talk about this too much because I also had an extremely mentally challenging time last year and that could have certainly played a significant role in my decreased performance.

Last thing... If anyone ever tells you they are 100% sure they know what contributed to their increase in power then I think they're (unintentionally) lying to you. The fact is that we all change way too many variables year to year to know for sure. And, as I stated above, it's almost always more than one factor that's reponsible for our improvement in the sport anyway. This is why I just try to focus on the funadamentals. We, including myself, all tend to debate the silly stuff way too often. It's entertaining but I'm getting too old. Just get out there and figure out a way to increase your training load. If that's using PCs then all the power to you.

If you want to talk about then details then let's talk about race execution... ;-)

Thanks, Chris
Thanks Chris but I am focusing on the first 4-6 weeks. The longest ride you had in that first 4 weeks were two rides of 2 hours yet you were seeing average power increases in those rides (and on all the rides in that 4th week) that you had never seen before (you averaged 205 and 210 watts on those long rides). It is quite possible that you changed many things in your training later on as you became more adapted but I see nothing in that first 4 weeks that can account for that early improvement you were reporting other than the PowerCranks doing something to change your mechanics to something more efficient and powerful. Of course, once the basic pedaling mechanics have changed then normal training principles apply and all the other stuff you did interferes with the analysis as to what role the PC's played. But, your changes were so rapid and so dramatic in that first 4 weeks I just cannot come up with any explanation that makes any sense other than to invoke the PowerCranks as the source of that improvement. Even at that I cannot say exactly what it was that changed to allow this improvement amongst the several things we postulate as potential sources of improvement.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last thing... If anyone ever tells you they are 100% sure they know what contributed to their increase in power then I think they're (unintentionally) lying to you. The fact is that we all change way too many variables year to year to know for sure. And, as I stated above, it's almost always more than one factor that's reponsible for our improvement in the sport anyway. This is why I just try to focus on the funadamentals.

Chris,

Wow! Outstanding summary.

The problem is that many here and elsewhere want to see that nice linear, 2 + 2 = 4 relationship, that if I do these workouts, for this long, I'll get this result. For those that have been around endurance sports for a while, we know that, that rarely
IF EVER happens. Lot's of variables and lots of influence from what you did 6 months ago or more than a year ago. Maybe what you did or did not do 6 months to a year ago is having more positive/negative impact than what you are doing now!! This never get's mentioned in any of these threads. People just put the training in 6 month or less silos and think that's what's impacting what they are doing.

The best, most predictable, and quantifiable results come from a moderate amount of training done every day, and every week and every month for several years!

I am still benefiting from the training I put in 15 years ago!! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You don't seem to get it: someone riding around on a new toy at sub-FTP intensities at a power output completely within the predicted range for a given ride time given the FTP of the rider is no kind of indication of a power increase. Period.

The fact that you keep desperately clinging to this dubious "10% power increase in six weeks" idea in thread after thread is a sad reflection of the fact that you have no other data to go on.
Rik
Could you please find just one person who agrees with you that the data and comments posted by Lakerfan in that first 4-6 weeks of PC use does not indicate a substantial improvement in cycling power?

No other data to go on? Perhaps you would like to comment on the Phil Holman results achieved in 7 months. No actual power given but pretty substantial speed improvements (enough to get him a medal at worlds) in an experienced track cyclist.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank,

Something to consider... I was also running much less than previous years during that period of time. Note the following paragraph:

So far I'm quite impressed with my results. Note: I didn’t say I was impressed with the PCs or with the change in my training. Yes, I’m impressed with the amount of power I’m producing as it’s clearly greater than anything I’ve produced over a number of consecutive rides in the past. However, I have run very little in the last month so it’s simply too early to even begin to draw any conclusions at all. In addition, look at my frequency. Although the overall mileage isn’t overly impressive, I’ve never ridden with this much frequency in my life.

I hope that helps,

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could you please find just one person who agrees with you that the data and comments posted by Lakerfan in that first 4-6 weeks of PC use does not indicate a substantial improvement in cycling power?

You really make it too easy. How about this from tigermilk: "Not to belittle lakerfan, but personally I think the dude was just wimping out in the past. His per-existing FTP indicated he could ride at those wattages."

To elaborate on that theme, Lakerfan stated that his estimated FTP was 260 watts then. He also stated that his HIM power was 205 watts. That's 79% of FTP, which is a bit below the guidelines of 83-87% of FTP for a HIM in Training and Racing with a Power Meter (216-226 watts in this case). So his rides on PCs that were 200-220 watts for 2 hours are well within the rough range of his HIM bike power, which takes significantly longer than 2 hours and occurs after swimming 1.2 miles and before running 13.1 miles.

The idea that because you do a 2-hour ride at around your HIM bike power, it means that your power has increased is silly. It just means that, as tigermilk pointed out, you rode harder. Which is natural for anybody trying out a new toy. While riding 2 hours at 80% or so of FTP requires some work and concentration, it's really not all that hard. Depending on the person, all out power for 2 hours would be about 93% of FTP. Now that would not be pleasant at all. If his data showed a 2 hour ride above 242 watts then, yeah, I would say his FTP had increased substantially above 260 watts in that six weeks. But it didn't and it didn't.

Is there a reason you are not contacting Jon Wiggins? Maybe you already have, and you don't like what his data shows?

Rik
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe what you did or did not do 6 months to a year ago is having more positive/negative impact than what you are doing now!! This never get's mentioned in any of these threads. People just put the training in 6 month or less silos and think that's what's impacting what they are doing.

You know, I couldn't agree more with you on the statements above.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are wasting too much time discussing this. Don't you realize that this debate will be resolved this weekend with "Half Fast Man" and his race results? Then, and only then, can we move beyond the big PC debate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You really make it too easy. How about this from tigermilk: "Not to belittle lakerfan, but personally I think the dude was just wimping out in the past. His per-existing FTP indicated he could ride at those wattages."

To elaborate on that theme, Lakerfan stated that his estimated FTP was 260 watts then. He also stated that his HIM power was 205 watts. That's 79% of FTP, which is a bit below the guidelines of 83-87% of FTP for a HIM in Training and Racing with a Power Meter (216-226 watts in this case). So his rides on PCs that were 200-220 watts for 2 hours are well within the rough range of his HIM bike power, which takes significantly longer than 2 hours and occurs after swimming 1.2 miles and before running 13.1 miles.

The idea that because you do a 2-hour ride at around your HIM bike power, it means that your power has increased is silly. It just means that, as tigermilk pointed out, you rode harder. Which is natural for anybody trying out a new toy. While riding 2 hours at 80% or so of FTP requires some work and concentration, it's really not all that hard. Depending on the person, all out power for 2 hours would be about 93% of FTP. Now that would not be pleasant at all. If his data showed a 2 hour ride above 242 watts then, yeah, I would say his FTP had increased substantially above 260 watts in that six weeks. But it didn't and it didn't.

Is there a reason you are not contacting Jon Wiggins? Maybe you already have, and you don't like what his data shows?

Rik
You make it too easy.

Remember his FTP was an estimated FTP. And, his half IM power would have been after a period of peaking and taper while what he was reporting here was off-season base work. If he could ride at those powers before, why didn't he? Wimping out indeed. That is simply rationalization. He simply reported that he had never done such power in training before (and he did have a power meter and keep records) and after awhile he reported it being impossible to ride at less than 200 watts. He was reporting improvement in his ability to train at higher power without really trying. What more do you want?

You know, I am not Jon Wiggins boss. I am not bothering him to provide data that you wouldn't believe anyhow. When I get it I will share it with everyone.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik
Is there a reason you haven't commented on the Phil Holman data?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank,

Something to consider... I was also running much less than previous years during that period of time. Note the following paragraph:

So far I'm quite impressed with my results. Note: I didn’t say I was impressed with the PCs or with the change in my training. Yes, I’m impressed with the amount of power I’m producing as it’s clearly greater than anything I’ve produced over a number of consecutive rides in the past. However, I have run very little in the last month so it’s simply too early to even begin to draw any conclusions at all. In addition, look at my frequency. Although the overall mileage isn’t overly impressive, I’ve never ridden with this much frequency in my life.

I hope that helps,

Chris
Hey, that is fine. However, I am not aware that simply cutting back on one's running would produce such dramatic power improvements. Maybe TDF riders should do some run cross-training then cut back on their running the month before the TDF. So, you cut back on your running, but we are talking simple base work in the off season over 4-6 weeks. No attempt to maximize power or anything, just putting the time in (and it was less time than usual). These changes simply happened. In fact, you reported it became impossible for you to ride at less than 200 watts now. And, I wasn't aware that frequency could make up for low mileage in an endurance athlete.

Yes, I noted you did not say you were impressed with the PC's. You have stated that clearly. However, you were impressed with your results (and so am I), even though others here are not and some just think you were "wimping out" before. The only point of debate/discussion (except in the mind of Rik, who still denies you were seeing improvement) is why that improvement, that so impressed you, occurred?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God Damn you Chip!!! I saw this thread and knew I should stay away. I saw that Frank was commenting and knew immediately that the same drivel and non-sense was being thrown back and forth. I opened the link anyway thinking "maybe this time it'll be different... I'll just read one post" and now I've gone and wasted 20 minutes of my life reading this shit and I'll never get that 20 minutes back. Personally I couldn't give a flyingfuckatarollingdonut whether PC's work or not, but I do know that everytime I subject myself to the ridiculous level of discourse on the topic and the complete inannity of Frank's arguments I lose IQ points. I need to program a little boot that will pop out of my laptop and kick me in the ass every time I read a PC thread. Maybe then I'd learn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik
I'm sorry, I was too busy successfully answering your other question. Since that was so easy, let me give this one a try....

Hold on...

OK, I must have missed the power data that was posted in that thread on Phil in the first go round. Let me read a little more...

Oh wait, there wasn't any power data. Or historical training data. Not really worth a comment. It was worth opening that thread though for this gem from the notable curmudgeon Jobst Brandt:
I don't think you are a suitable specimen to evaluate whether there
are merits to this method for general application. I believe to
validate this, young racers who are well trained should try it.
Racers in retirement years have often invented uncommon positions,
special handlebars, unconventional cranks and the like, claiming great
advantage when in fact the device was an accommodation of their
declining athletic ability.
Your turn...how's Coach Wiggins doing lately? You need to freshen up your so-called "data" a bit methinks.

Rik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Hey, that is fine. However, I am not aware that simply cutting back on one's running would produce such dramatic power improvements. Maybe TDF riders should do some run cross-training then cut back on their running the month before the TDF. So, you cut back on your running, but we are talking simple base work in the off season over 4-6 weeks. No attempt to maximize power or anything, just putting the time in (and it was less time than usual). These changes simply happened. In fact, you reported it became impossible for you to ride at less than 200 watts now. And, I wasn't aware that frequency could make up for low mileage in an endurance athlete.

Yes, I noted you did not say you were impressed with the PC's. You have stated that clearly. However, you were impressed with your results (and so am I), even though others here are not and some just think you were "wimping out" before. The only point of debate/discussion (except in the mind of Rik, who still denies you were seeing improvement) is why that improvement, that so impressed you, occurred?

Frank, the only thing I'll address in your statements above is the fact that you are unaware the impact a reduction in run volume will have on your power. Honestly, this is shocking!! I can provide you with quantitative data that shows my power will, on average, easily increase 5% when I reduce my run volume from 5x/week (~40 miles) to 2 - 3x/week (20 - 25 miles) and I was probably running less than 20 miles/week at the time. My power improvement was not dramatic during the period you're focused on. There was an improvement and it could easily be accounted for by a pretty serious decrease in my run volume.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If he could ride at those powers before, why didn't he? Wimping out indeed. That is simply rationalization. He simply reported that he had never done such power in training before (and he did have a power meter and keep records)

You're misreading things again Frank. He didn't say he hadn't done rides at that power before, because he had. He said he hadn't done that many 2-hour rides in a row at that power before. Since he was using a new toy. that is not surprising. Since he was doing more longer rides before starting with PCs, that is not surprising. Since he was doing a lot more running before, that is also not surprising:
"Keep in mind that I've never quite trained this way either though. IOW, I'm riding more frequently with nothing longer than 2hrs so far. My running has also been very sporadic and relatively limited so I know can handle more intensity given that most of my training is just cycling."
Since he wasn't putting in the typical 5-hour rides and wasn't running much, he was more rested for his 2-hour rides. No magic there.

In any case, riding around at 77-85% of FTP (200 to 220 watts in this case) for 2 hours doesn't impress me as being out of the ordinary. And it certainly doesn't point to a power increase beyond the 260 watt FTP reported. I can show you power data from many, if not most, of my 2 hour+ rides done at that intensity factor. If his FTP had increased by 10% during that 6 week period, those 2-hour rides are even less impressive since they would have been at just 70 to 77% of FTP, which is downright slacking off, IMO.

In the data I don't see any 2-hour rides in the 245 watt range or higher which would indicate a likely power increase beyond 260 watts.

Rik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummmm can I take this all to mean that you are not sending me a set of PC's to test?

;-)

Have a good day all
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Frank, the only thing I'll address in your statements above is the fact that you are unaware the impact a reduction in run volume will have on your power. Honestly, this is shocking!! I can provide you with quantitative data that shows my power will, on average, easily increase 5% when I reduce my run volume from 5x/week (~40 miles) to 2 - 3x/week (20 - 25 miles) and I was probably running less than 20 miles/week at the time. My power improvement was not dramatic during the period you're focused on. There was an improvement and it could easily be accounted for by a pretty serious decrease in my run volume.

Thanks, Chris
Here is an explanation that doesn't involve the need to ascribe any benefit to the PowerCranks. You have been chronically overtrained. When you started on the PC's the reduced mileage (and time) on the bike combined with the reduced run mileage allowed you to recover and see those training power improvements. Why you would be overtrained in mid-December is not clear to me but it must be true. It all makes sense to me now.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik
I'm sorry, I was too busy successfully answering your other question. Since that was so easy, let me give this one a try....

Hold on...

OK, I must have missed the power data that was posted in that thread on Phil in the first go round. Let me read a little more...

Oh wait, there wasn't any power data. Or historical training data. Not really worth a comment. It was worth opening that thread though for this gem from the notable curmudgeon Jobst Brandt:
I don't think you are a suitable specimen to evaluate whether there
are merits to this method for general application. I believe to
validate this, young racers who are well trained should try it.
Racers in retirement years have often invented uncommon positions,
special handlebars, unconventional cranks and the like, claiming great
advantage when in fact the device was an accommodation of their
declining athletic ability.
Your turn...how's Coach Wiggins doing lately? You need to freshen up your so-called "data" a bit methinks.

Rik
True to form. It is impossible for you to assess any improvement without power data. OK, so be it.

So, we have a senior rider who has been competing for 10 years. He reports certain speed improvements, in 7 months, that he thinks allowed him to he is able to make it to Worlds (and to win a medal). Most people would be able to make some reasonable suppositions regarding his abilities before the PowerCranks experiment, but not you. So be it.

Here is another anecdote for you. Joe Skufka, an experienced IM, did a 12 mile TT every month to assess his fitness. In 6 months on the PC's he increased his average speed for this TT from 20 mph to 25 mph. No power data again so I presume you will deny this represents any improvement. Am I correct?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply

Prev Next