Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pose and calf injuries [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John. I like your explanation. This is how I ran from age 12 to 25 when I ran track, cross country and then short course tris. Then I started doing Ironmans at age 25 and started the bogus heal strike routine and constantly had nagging injuries. Back to the way I ran in my youth using pose in the last 18 months at age 37 and now feel great again. Go figure. I start running the way nature intended me to and things work fine. I've never seen kids running around bare foot heal striking.

As for the original question on calf soreness, if you use the mid foot strike purely for shock absorption and gradually lowering your body's weight onto the supporting foot (kind of like the ball to heal strike when walking down stairs) and don't worry about the push off and just roll off your foot as the forward component of gravity pulls you forward (assuming you lean from the perpendicular at an angle theta, this force of gravity is (9.8m/s**2)*sin(theta) ), then you get a component of gravity pulling you forward rather than your calves having to push you forward. Hopefully I have not been too complex explaining this. Much easier to teach in person or with a picture. The way I teach kids how to get the right position on XC skis is to have their friend put their hand out straight at chest level and then have them lean into the the friend's hand pushing with their chest. This has to be done without a bend at the waist, just at the ankle. It is not a big lean, just very subtle feeling of falling forward. Works on run as well as XC skis. If you do this, the calf soreness should be eliminated. This is how our track coach taught us to run in the early 80's.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Pose and calf injuries [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OCTriGeek,

I have had on going IT Band problems and have tied alot of different things to fix this. I ran across the POSE method and now what you suggest. I would like to talk to you about your expierance with IT problems and how you got rid of this problem if possible. Can I call direct sometime for a few minutes. I appreciate it, let me know....

THANKS-

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Looks like I'll be a guinea pig [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered my Pose book & DVD late last week, so I'll be starting it later this week when they arrive. I've never really run before. Never played football or rugby, or wny ball sport, just swimming. I'm also 87kg, so on the heavy side as runners go.

Looks like I'll be a nice guinea pig to see whether POSE can teach me to injury-free or not. I'm aware of the need to build up the calves gradually, and am good at listening to my body. Anyone got any tips, or warnings?
Quote Reply
Re: Pose and calf injuries [jaime876] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Jaime wrote:
In Reply To:
.. but I believe it was mainly because I was pushing off
About 2 months ago I started running again after many years off and tried running with pose right away. Now my L. soleus is acting up too. Probably because of the exact same reason above. Time for some more massage and some tweaking to my running technique.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Last edited by: powergyoza: Mar 21, 04 18:41
Quote Reply
Re: Pose and calf injuries [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may sound kind of obvious, but 'Pose' is a major change for a heel striker.

Did you guys build mileage gradually, add some strengthening exercises to your routine, maybe do some rope jumping, and/or add some simple plyometrics to help facilitate the technique change?

I would think making the change without a plan or some type of preparation and you're just asking for some type of overuse injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Pose and calf injuries [JustCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing the gradual build. But not the rope jumping or plyo. Thanks for the tips!

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Pose and calf injuries [JustCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This may sound kind of obvious, but 'Pose' is a major change for a heel striker.

Did you guys build mileage gradually, add some strengthening exercises to your routine, maybe do some rope jumping, and/or add some simple plyometrics to help facilitate the technique change?"

Yep, it was a MAJOR change. I didn't to any strengthening exercises. My mileage build wasn't real gradual either because I was in the middle of training for a marathon when I made the change. I had very painful calves for about a month and aggravated my achilles because I was exagerating the movement too much. I was able to run the marathon, but not as fast as I wanted. Now I've been using Pose for over a year and my speed is finally increasing and I have absolutely no pain or soreness even after a 20+ mile run.

Don
Quote Reply
Re: Pose and calf injuries [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came across this article and thought it would be of interest.

http://www.triathletes-uk.org/info/running.html

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply

Prev Next