Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pete Jacobs with Ventum?
Quote | Reply
I noticed Pete's instagram featured a shot of him with his bike, which comes on the heels of him saying that he rode his last race with the Boardman (unbranded). Maybe someone with a better eye can spot this better than me, but that bike looks like a Ventum.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nobody has some inside info on this?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a Ventum front fairing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He took pains to call out his wheel/cockpit and clothing/helmet sponsor (the real reason for the post) and avoided talking or showing much of the bike. This typically means it's not sponsored.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a ventum. Boardman is no longer shown on his website as a sponsor. He's probably not sponsored by ventum either.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a Planet X EX03...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
I noticed Pete's instagram featured a shot of him with his bike, which comes on the heels of him saying that he rode his last race with the Boardman (unbranded). Maybe someone with a better eye can spot this better than me, but that bike looks like a Ventum.

EDIT: My mistake. Ventum can use any aerobar.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Aug 20, 16 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alicia Kaye used to use a pro-missile cockpit, so I'm pretty sure you can modify the front-end of a Ventum to pretty much any bar setup. Kaye's was an older model Ventum though, so I can't speak to that for sure.

I would be shocked if it was Planet-X.

When he announced that it was his last bike ride on the boardman, I thought he would go Louis Garneau like Lionel Sanders.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
aerobean wrote:

Almost definitely NOT a Ventum. He's got a Zipp bar on there. The Ventum cockpit is proprietary.

Ventum used an open-mold front fork with integrated brakes from Asia. So there could be a LOT of bikes that have that fork. I wouldn't assume it's a Ventum based on the fork; that's the one part of the Ventum that is NOT unique.

It's possible for an athlete like Pete that Ventum modified the bike to allow for use of a Zipp bar, but that'd be news in and of itself.

That's not true. You can use any aerobar on the Ventum.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to be a dick, but does anyone care? Sadly I think Pete's best days are behind him, a la Leandra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
aerobean wrote:

Almost definitely NOT a Ventum. He's got a Zipp bar on there. The Ventum cockpit is proprietary.

Ventum used an open-mold front fork with integrated brakes from Asia. So there could be a LOT of bikes that have that fork. I wouldn't assume it's a Ventum based on the fork; that's the one part of the Ventum that is NOT unique.

It's possible for an athlete like Pete that Ventum modified the bike to allow for use of a Zipp bar, but that'd be news in and of itself.

Completely wrong Jordan....

1. I have talked to Jimmy alot about his bike as it truly intrigues me as a bike designer. His Fork is NOT an open mold. It is unique to his brand. Please show me an exact match to his fork. Something may look slightly similar, but not the same.

2. Aerobar... It is not proprietary. It may be optimized with their fork cover, but if you look at alot of build images. I have seen Profile Design, Zipp, PRO, etc on the bike. So, the design is made so that any cockpit can work on the bike.
Which feature of the bike made you think it was proprietary? The head tube junction doesn't come up behind the steerer tube as on a Diamonback Serios and many others???? I am even thinking about getting one to use for my new component development.

3. It is a ventum, look at the fork/Head tube interaction.. There is no cut out in the DT for the fork such as other bikes offer because there is no down tube.

Here is the new planet X as a comparison.

Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. My mistake on the fork then. I will see if I can dig up the post here that led to my mistake there.
EDIT: here's a post (there are others) by the generally very well informed & reliable Chicanery on the Ventum fork being "open mold" - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5740584#p5740584

2. As far as the aerobars, it was Todd Kenyon's post on building one up that led me to believe that the front end was a complete unit: http://ttbikefit.com/...ad-test-impressions/

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Aug 20, 16 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's in town training atm. I'll take a peek next time I see him on his bike. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end is open mold and its terrible and generic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to edit/amend a post when you make an honest error. Even Jordan Rapp is allowed to be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck tomorrow by the way...I'll be cheering for you on the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
1. My mistake on the fork then. I will see if I can dig up the post here that led to my mistake there.
EDIT: here's a post (there are others) by the generally very well informed & reliable Chicanery on the Ventum fork being "open mold" - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5740584#p5740584

2. As far as the aerobars, it was Todd Kenyon's post on building one up that led me to believe that the front end was a complete unit: http://ttbikefit.com/...ad-test-impressions/

Hey Jordan,

1. Our fork is not an open mold fork. If you look at the photo Chicanery claims is the same. The fork is similar but not the same, look at how the fairing mounts, the profile of the fork blades and underneath of the headset. Dengfu and Hongfu are a buying/selling agents. They buy from a few factories and sell as their own brand. They buy all open mold from factories in China and Taiwan. A lot of the factories will offer open mold some are very well engineered and made while others are complete crap. That is why you have to be extremely careful when buying open mold. There are some bike brands that sell a lot of bike that only sell open mold bikes branded as their own.

2. Todd did do a build with his ventum. You can use our bars but you can also fit any handlebars you want to the bike. Leanda Cave has a bike set up with road bars so she could use it at Island House Triathlon and group rides for training.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
The front end is open mold and its terrible and generic

Our handlebars are open mold for now and the fork/fairing is our own design.

We started by designing the frame and then optimized a fork to the frame and now working on the handlebars. We are constantly working on new parts of the bike.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [JimmySeear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Look forward to seeing the results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

First sentence under the "Frame Buildup" heading in my blog post referenced above:

"The Ventum frameset incorporates a fork with a standard steerer tube so that any traditional front end can be used on the bike. However, it does come with a proprietary stem and bar combo that makes for a very clean leading edge."

Should be pretty clear that you can use any bars you want to... the bike in the article is my wife's which has since been ridden in Kona and IM TX and will be in Kona this year again, full stock front end. When I get mine it will in fact use Zipp bars for fit reasons. Yes if you do use their bars you must use their stem as it is a 4-bolt platform attachment, not a standard 31.6 round clamp. Also shown very clearly in the post.

TK
ttbikefit.com
Last edited by: ttbikefit: Aug 22, 16 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fork and cockpit the same as Ventum. Just the brake fairing is different. Am I wrong?

Last edited by: Trisur: Aug 23, 16 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [Trisur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trisur wrote:
Fork and cockpit the same as Ventum. Just the brake fairing is different. Am I wrong?

The cockpit is the same

Fork and fairing is different.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [Trisur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trisur wrote:

They look different to me. The dropouts are different, the avenger being flat on the bottom, while the ventum is rounded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is Pete on board with you guys or is this your regular rumor mill BS?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply

Prev Next