Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
For the record Ray Botelho went ~the same speed both years. I didn't bother looking up his power. Yes this is one example, but Eagleman is notorious for having very very low yaws. If there is ever a chance to make a comparison this is it. Granted, as a quant, of course this won't suit your expectations but in the absence of some third-party and truly independent data, I am going out on a limb and say there is no reason people should pay a premium for a Ventum over say a Cervelo P5/P3 or Trek SC. There is certainly no reason to switch off an SC, P5, Dimond, Shiv, Felt DA/IA, unless you literally shovel cash into the fireplace to keep warm in the winter.

Thomas,

Maybe you should do some research.

Cervelo P3
Ultegra Di2
Alloy Wheels
Rotor Cranks
$5,799

Trek Speed Concept 9.5
Sram Force
Alloy Wheels
$5,499

Ventum Z
Ultegra Di2
3T fork
$5,499

I would say the Ventum is very good value for money.

As you go up the range we add more value by adding Ceramic Speed BB and OSPW systems as standard on Dura Ace models! What other bike brands add this value. We also include 1 year of Bike insure and 1 round trip with TriBike Transport.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Now my opinion of Ventum continues to grow and grow but there just are not enough Ventum's out there to get truly comfortable. Outside of the pro athletes, I have seen one, exactly one Ventum in the wild. On the contrary I have seen so many Dimonds it is unreal. From training rides, to races, Dimonds are everywhere. Again, personally I am not an early adopter. I DON'T want to be the guinea pig at this point in my career. I am not Anti-Ventum in the least, but I always am a skeptic. With time, usually come confidence.

As for this comment. Dimond I believe has been on sale for nearly 5 or 6 years. Ventum is approaching 11 months. I would say the fact that there is now over 250 Ventums on the road around the world is pretty good for a new company. Maybe I'm bias I'm not sure you tell me.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Jimmy, you mentioned here a few months ago about a new model and strongly reduced pricing - such as a bike equiped with ultegra Di2 for $5.5k. Any news on that? I think the point about people riding Dimond's more and more often is valid, and this is not yet the case with Ventum. But, the current pricing at >$6k for just the frame simply makes it not a consideration for most of us.

Yes we are releasing a more economical version at Interbike next week. The frame will look the same as it used the same molds but uses slightly different carbon more T800 than T1200 and a slightly different layup. This helps us bring the cost down so we can now offer a complete Ventum with integrated hydration, a 3T fork and Ultegra Di2 for $5,499.

We will release more details next week and will be available through our growing dealer network. We also offer 1 year of Bike Insure and 1 round trip with Tri Bike Transport with your purchase.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact me any time.

jimmy@ventumracing.com

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:
For what it's worth, back of the envelope calculations and modeling with Best Bike Split never pegged my P4 CdA as low as my wind tunnel testing with Ventum.

This is hardly surprising. When you are racing, you have to sit up to drink, corner, look around, etc. I'd be shocked if ANY athlete's "race" CdA came in at within 0.01m^2 of their tunnel CdA. I think +0.01 is even a "best case scenario" for race day CdA versus tunnel CdA. On many courses, you'd be lucky to get that close.

For sure. I recognize that and tried to factor that into my comparisons, though it's next to impossible to quantify. Actual race CdA will always be higher than tunnel CdA, however CdA calculated from race data may be skewed by legal drafting to some extent. I have at least one race power file that predicts a freakishly low CdA which I'd attribute in part to riding efficiently in a pack for a good deal of the race. It's not hard to imagine a case in which calculated race CdA could be even lower than tunnel CdA due to the draft effect.

I would bet that this happens quite regularly.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [JimmySeear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just so my name is not besmirched here...

My claim that Ventum was using an open mold fork was correct at one time. They definitely started off with the fork from an Avenger on several of the test models that showed up. The exact fork is pictured a few posts after Jimmy's, and that was absolutely used on the first few frames that were built up. Afterward the new nose cone turned up without any appreciable change to the rest of the fork, so it was only an assumption that it was the same. Whether it is truly "open mold" or not does not matter, but it is being put on other frames coming out of China/Taiwan. Also, the linked DengFu frame that was referenced is a different machine than it was when I posted last year. That is clearly not the same fork _at all_

I guarantee there isn't anyone else on this forum foolish enough to spend as much time as I do combing through Alibaba.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimmySeear wrote:

Thomas,

Maybe you should do some research.

Cervelo P3
Ultegra Di2
Alloy Wheels
Rotor Cranks
$5,799

Trek Speed Concept 9.5
Sram Force
Alloy Wheels
$5,499

Ventum Z
Ultegra Di2
3T fork
$5,499

Jimmy this is where we are going to disagree. Trek and Cervelo have been building bike for many years, they have had thousands of failure and have no doubt learned from every single one of them. They have warranty programs in place to ensure that they get those bikes back so they can test them. Again, this is where only having ~250 bikes out on the road is going to hurt you. They also have stores in many locations where I can get replacement parts the very same day - the value of that dealer network is huge and can't be underestimated. Comparing prices is futile IMO. Given a similar cost for Ventum or Trek Speed Concept or Cervelo I am going to pick Trek/Cervelo. You saw the correct strategy IMO with companies like KIA or Hyundai who tried to gain market share by offering cars at cheaper prices and then slowly raised them. Then there is the point you walk into a Trek dealer right now and you are getting 25% off that list price.

Now I may not be your ideal clientele. I don't stay at bed & breakfasts while traveling for the same reason, I am not a boutique type of purchaser. I am in for a predictable and consistent experience. To be honest, take away the sponsorship, and I do believe that you wouldn't have pros forking out their own $$$ to buy a Ventum. I love that you sponsor athletes, because you know that despite the chatter, pros do sell bikes. You may not be able to easily quantify it, but they sell bikes. Now with that being said, there are people who care about looks, who care about having something else others don't and I do think that clientele is more of the Ventum clientele given the current pricing.

Lastly, believe me, I love entrepreneurs - they are nimble and move hastily. They are passionate. But often times they wear too many hats and focus too much on one aspect of the business they love. I think you are doing a great job in continuing to move Ventum forward, and your right, Rome wasn't built overnight. But that gets back to my original point, you are expecting people to treat you like Rome instead of say Verona (just picked randomly some other Italian city on Google Maps). Now maybe your list price is not what you are actually charging customers, that could be but I don't have knowledge of that and I am just going on list.

Regardless, as I have said in previous threads. Anyone would be crazy to buy ANY bike right now. As Dan said, good things are coming. People should at least wait until Kona.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
Just so my name is not besmirched here...

My claim that Ventum was using an open mold fork was correct at one time. They definitely started off with the fork from an Avenger on several of the test models that showed up. The exact fork is pictured a few posts after Jimmy's, and that was absolutely used on the first few frames that were built up. Afterward the new nose cone turned up without any appreciable change to the rest of the fork, so it was only an assumption that it was the same. Whether it is truly "open mold" or not does not matter, but it is being put on other frames coming out of China/Taiwan. Also, the linked DengFu frame that was referenced is a different machine than it was when I posted last year. That is clearly not the same fork _at all_

I guarantee there isn't anyone else on this forum foolish enough to spend as much time as I do combing through Alibaba.

You are correct we did use an open mold fork when we first had our frame. This was for initial proto-types and then once we were happy with the frame, we then designed our own fork and fairing. At first glance the fork does look similar to the open mold we used before.

Our fork now is our own design and molds for both fork and fairing.

I believe Dengfu and another company Hongfu might get their forks from our factory but I'm not sure sorry. I know some of the other bike companies that share our factory with and they are all very well respected. We were very careful when it came to selecting our factories to begin manufacturing.

I don't know of any bike manufactures that make their mass production forks out side of Asia. I would like to know who does manufacture outside of Asia.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, I love the Ventum in almost all ways. The *only* problem I have with it is that the nose cone is a crap shape and does not stick out far enough in front to meet a front bottle like the Torhans.

I don't know who has done the CFD on that for you, but my own work shows that almost every shape/depth I can come up with is better. I started that project to make my Falco mo' better, but it's like the easiest exercise ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
BTW, I love the Ventum in almost all ways. The *only* problem I have with it is that the nose cone is a crap shape and does not stick out far enough in front to meet a front bottle like the Torhans.

I don't know who has done the CFD on that for you, but my own work shows that almost every shape/depth I can come up with is better. I started that project to make my Falco mo' better, but it's like the easiest exercise ever.

I love that you're doing your own CFD work. I would be very interested to see what else you test.

We also found a deeper nose cone was faster on CFD testing but when tested in the tunnel the Stiction interaction with the wheel rotation effected the length of the nosecone hence why we shortened the reach.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a matter of getting the cone close enough to the tire to push the incoming air around the sides, or far enough way for all of the air riding with the tire boundary layer to fit on the way out without causing pressure increases for the air on the way in.

In my testing, it's been best to actually make the cone overlap down the tires near the sidewall in front of the brake with about a 1/2" gap to the tire, and closer to 5/8" at the top. Makes a huge difference at non-zero yaw to push that air away from the tire on the sides. If you want to get close like your current model, you have to get REALLY close, and honestly it would probably help a ton to have some interaction with a downtube to help shed a little more air before it gets to the back of the fork crown.

I've actually never modeled a front end where the fork crown didn't blend into a frame member behind it...because that's ridiculous.

$20 says I can cut close to 40 grams off of your front end with a better nose cone and moving the whole "top tube" down enough to smooth airflow off the back of the fork crown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
Just a matter of getting the cone close enough to the tire to push the incoming air around the sides, or far enough way for all of the air riding with the tire boundary layer to fit on the way out without causing pressure increases for the air on the way in.

In my testing, it's been best to actually make the cone overlap down the tires near the sidewall in front of the brake with about a 1/2" gap to the tire, and closer to 5/8" at the top. Makes a huge difference at non-zero yaw to push that air away from the tire on the sides. If you want to get close like your current model, you have to get REALLY close, and honestly it would probably help a ton to have some interaction with a downtube to help shed a little more air before it gets to the back of the fork crown.

I've actually never modeled a front end where the fork crown didn't blend into a frame member behind it...because that's ridiculous.

$20 says I can cut close to 40 grams off of your front end with a better nose cone and moving the whole "top tube" down enough to smooth airflow off the back of the fork crown.

This this this. I have no tools but spend all my time on my fit that creates a 3d cone shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jimmy,

Fixed this for you.

Obviously there might be impact to side force with the larger bottle, so maybe you sacrifice overall height at the seatpost attachment there and spec a little more meat in the post to accommodate. You could also do 2 sizes of bottle. I would no doubt purchase a Ventum if you handled the air off the fork crown. You're just too wide there to ignore the trailing edge.
Last edited by: chicanery: Sep 17, 16 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs with Ventum? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I would bring in my two cents to the forum. I have riden both a Dimond and Ventum and both bikes were way more comfortable then my Shiv. I choose to ride Ventum over Dimond for a few personal reasons but could not have gone wrong. For me as I am in Canada the fact I could ride the Ventum on a trainer was a big selling point.

I will also give Diaa and Jimmy a ton of credit the support and willingness to answer questions is unbelievable.

The price does stop 99% of the population but so does the price of my exotic cars. With the new Bentum coming out priced just over $5000 I think we will see a ton of them in 2017

Triathlete Factory
http://www.triathletefactory.ca
info@triathletefactory.ca

Ventum Racing / Roka / On running Shoes
Quote Reply

Prev Next