Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Parlee TT...
Quote | Reply
Anyone ride one? Thoughts please...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have never ridden one but was a bit surprised when I saw the final product. Would have expected quite a bit more from that brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have never ridden one but was a bit surprised when I saw the final product. Would have expected quite a bit more from that brand.

How so?

Riding the Awesome Train With: Dark Horse Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/....php?showtopic=27827

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really pleased with mine. It handles very very well. I would recommend it to anybody.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [ChromeMobius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just looks very uninspired in my opinion. If it had no graphics on it, it may look like some random carbon frame from Taiwan from 5-6 years back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compared to that gorgeous Scott you're riding, Angelina Joile would would plain!

So you don't feel that Parlee's TT bike is a design of simplicity and elegance, but is just an uninspired reheat of an old design? Maybe you could use your powers at ST to demo one and do an in-depth writeup....?

Riding the Awesome Train With: Dark Horse Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [ChromeMobius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, I am talking personal opinion on looks alone. Plus we can't all have the same taste.

Also, who is Angelina Jolie? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, based on looks and design the Parlee is quite bland to me. Could do a lot better with the same amount of money. If you need custom, you could always go BMC/Guru.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some like the colorful "circus" bikes and others like the understated looks.
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [neil_laing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT bike is just incredible. What a piece of art!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replaced my 04 P2K with one, love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree... would rather have understated and rides WELL than something "wow, look at that" that can't climb or take corners well. Simple looking is fine with me as long as it fits me well, and I am fast on it!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
THAT bike is just incredible. What a piece of art!

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Parlee TT, not the full custom bike where Bob Parlee measures you, but the more standard TT.

I think this is one of the best TT bikes on the market. The biggest reason for saying this is that the Parlee comes with two head tube heights. So you can order a frame with a tall or short head tube. This from a comfort/fit standpoint is a huge selling point. I am really suprised that more bike makers do not do this. I always thinks it funny when I see a guy riding a P3 with 6 inches of spacers to give them more height. In reality I don't think most people fit on something like a Shiv to ride a 112 miles, much less get off and run a marathon. While I know MACCA rode a Shiv at Kona, I don't think he rode one in any of his other races because the bike is not that comforable. Is the Shiv fast, sure but day in and day out I don't think it works for a lot of people, same with the P4 and some of the other high end superbikes.

My Parlee rides & handles great, it is also very light.

My Parlee is a 58 frame with the tall head tube. 3T Brezza Limited Team Bars, SRAM Red, Zipp Vuma Chrono Crank & 808 Clydesdale wheels.

With Pedals & Seat, but no water bottle cages it weighs 17.1 pounds. So a smaller frame or without Clydesdale wheels or different seat (mine is kinda big) and you are looking at a 16 pound bike.

I do not think you can go wrong with Parlee, their road bikes all receive rave reviews. I would be very suprised to hear of someone buying a Parlee TT and not being completely satisfied. I have heard of a lot of Cervelo owners going to a Parlee, but have never heard of any of them going back to Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.. This is the kind of stuff I want to hear. I am on a Specialized Transition that I like, but does not fit well. My recent fitting, in which I felt comfortable AND powerful, shows the Parlee TT, Cannondale Slice, and Scott Plasma as the 3 best fits for me. I like the Slice and Plasma, but the Parlee is unique.. kinda like ride something different. Am leaning towards the Parlee or the Slice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Parlee TT. I agree that the paint job is not incredibly flashy, but the the real value in the TT lies in its basic, fast design. Bob Parlee's focus is on making an aero, light, strong bike, not a piece of eye candy with curvy & colorful tubes. They are currently doing some wind tunnel testing at MIT in order to refine the TT's design.

As was mentioned above, the bike handles very well for a TT machine. It is a high-end, high-quality bike.

As a disclaimer I should mention that I'm sponsored by Parlee, but nevertheless they make awesome bikes! All the reviews by cycling magazines are very positive...

------------------------------------
http://ebrownracing.com | http://twitter.com/EzEBreezy
------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [EBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ethan, thanks for the post. I have been told that the Parlee TT rides very much like a road bike and ascends/descends well. Have you found this to be true, compared to other tri/TT bikes you have ridden in the past?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my eye on a Z4/Z5 right now, so Parlees have really been catching my eye lately. I saw at least three at Clearwater, all with custom paint. Parlee's stock paint is not flashy, but it offers unlimited custom paint options. You can get as flashy as you want. You also have custom component options giving you nearly unlimited choices. If you want a Rival drivetrain and Zipp wheels Parlee will do it. A lot of Parlee dealers also specialize in custom geometry bikes and are very fit oriented (I've seen at least one who does Retul fittings), so you can be sure that you will not only get a great bike, you will get a great bike that will help you be the fastest triathlete you can be. My only complaint is that the headtube and fork look out of place in conjunction with the bike's othewise clean lines.

Nice to know Parlee is refining their design. I look forward to seeing what a no-nonsense company, committed to practical, durable designs comes up with. That may be just about the time I am in the market for my next tt bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every time I see them I think, "That is a an over-priced bike for the guy who just wants to be different." As Herbert said, there is nothing that makes it stand out at all, especially for the price, and I doubt it is even as aero as the bottom-priced Cervelo. Hate Cervelos and, to a lesser extent, Felt, all you want, but they deliver in the value market. A lot of companies make carbon bikes because aluminum just doesn't sell anymore, but they are not very good at it and count on the ineducated customer to not see them for what they are.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Cannondale Slice is a super nice bike and seems to be well thought out. Try to see if you get to ride them all yourself actually. Because it doesn't really matter what we all think. You have to like it.

I actually rode a Parlee road bike at Outdoor Demo last year and that felt quite nice. My gripe with the Parlee TT is not that it isn't flashy (neither are the Parlee road bikes and I like them), but the TT looks somewhat like a clumsy attempt to make a TT bike. The bulky head tube actually looks out of place.

I am very happy for all of those who bought the bike and love it, because in the end that is all that matters. And if you are sponsored by Parlee hopefully you like the ride too.

It just isn't for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not commenting on the TT bike, but to imply that Parlee is not good at making carbon bikes is pretty off base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not the TT but i have a parlee road bike and it is without a doubt an incredibly smooth ride. i make the analogy to cars, both a nissan 370z and a BMW M5 are really quick cars...and probably faster than you "need". the difference is the manner at which they transit the sensation of speed to the driver. a 370z at 95mph feels nothing like an M5 at the same speed. in the same way a parlee Z4 instills in the rider a degree of confidence that might not truly be warranted because the bike doesn't feel "quick" or "twitchy" at speed. it corners, not unlike an M5, as if it's on rails. the two people i know who have the stock parlee TT say the same thing about their bikes, supremely comfortable and really stable.

one of the women i work with set the age group record at kona last year and she has a custom parlee that she absolutely raves about. she's not sponsored, she's just small and finally got a bike to fit her well. not sure about the wind tunnel but bob parlee spent many years making racing boats and knows more than a little bit about hydrodynamics. does that mean he know aerodynamics? i can't comment to that but if i had to take a guess i'd say he's probably not clueless on the topic.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [EBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind of changes?
Quote Reply
Re: Parlee TT... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said anyone could not build bikes. The TT, however, looks like a cheap knockoff priced like custom. I'd be shocked if there is remotely the type of research/tunnel time/experience with AERO frames in that bike compared to bikes that cost a lot less.
Chad
Quote Reply

Prev Next