Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received the Clifton's on the 18th and the Hauka's on the 22nd.
Both shoes are nice shoes and responsive. The Clifton 's have an unusual feel at first but responsive and nice fit. It feel s very spongy at first but after a few minutes the first run it is no longer noticeable. It maintains some of the look of the Conquest but it's lightweight features certainly will provide a good shoe for fast past training and racing.
The Huakas are nice everyday shoe for longer distance training but again it's lightweight will allow it to be used for fast paced training and even longer races.
The one thing , I love on both shoes is the fit especially the tongue which is secure and doesn't move. Shoe is also very supportive while still responsive. Both shoes maintain the meta rocker technology allowing for good solid form

As a runner for 45 years and who has logged large amounts of miles in my younger years as modern shoe technology was developing, I feel that the Hoka brand will change the concept of running shoes for the better. These two additions will allow the company to be a force in the performance models.The company will no longer be a shoe to provide support for Ultra or older runners but be at the front of the pack in races as well.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka sponsored a group run and let everyone run in the Cliftons.
They felt true to size and there was plenty of room for my toes, no cramping. Walking around the store, there was much more pronounced squishiness under the heel. I saw several people walking around the store, bouncing on the heels. It felt weird. Otherwise, they felt like a pretty soft, low drop runner. The weight was in the same range of my pure flows.

Out on the run, I immediately felt my stride shifting around. There is so much less ground feel that I am used to that I think I was searching for the same stimuli. Once that weirdness subsided, I think I settled into a good stride. We ran 7 miles at around 7minute pace, and they were pretty comfy the whole time. Only on the short steep downhills was there any awkward steps. Again, the lack of ground feel threw me off. By the end of the run, my right Achilles was starting to ache a bit. (That did not flare back up on the run home in my flows.)

I have some old mafate 2's that I wear occasionally on long trail runs. These felt nothing like those. These were light and springy/squishy. Those are heavy and more solid. I'd say these would be a good idea if you are looking for a low-drop shoe, but want to keep the padding...since most of those are all 10+mm of drop. Price is high, like all Hokas. I think they said $130? Ouch, I can get 2 pairs for that price. I should've asked him how many miles they last. Probably the best thing for them: they don't look as goofy as the old Hokas. I bet that'll help drive sales.

Full disclosure: Hoka provided beer and cookies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The Conquest was too firm for me. I like LOTS of cushion! I did try the Altra Olympus, but the metal eyelets at the toe end of the shoe gouged a hole in the top of my foot.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't like the Olympus--beefed up sole and stability for trail running.
The Paradigm--the road version with lots of stack--was, however, great.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the opposite. The Paradigm was too firm for me.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Clifton. Whoa. Love at first sight. Shop let me run outside in them before I bought them. They were great.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First run in the Clifton, been running exclusively the in Bondi 3's. I'm a bigger guy (read: heavy) 5'10, 195 lbs, pronate and insert blue superfeet into all my sneakers.

Clifton's are definitely tighter in the toe box. I ordered the same size 12 as the Bondi. Always felt a bit roomy to me so I like the more snug fit of the Clifton. The padded tongue may help in that regard too (and it's my one gripe with the Bondi).

Immediately I felt the weight difference and they are not quite as bouncy as the Bondi. That said, they have a similar feel and are unlike most other sneakers. As Slowman notes in his review, I'm not sure they will provide the support I need on longer runs - but that's just me - YMMV.

I'll be conservative in working them into my training for a fall marathon. I'd like to race in them, but time will tell. First impression was favorable though.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jul 29, 14 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa. First longish run in Cliftons (8 miles). This is the best pair of shoes I've ever run in. The cushioning is plenty. The stability is great. And they are so incredibly light. Yes the toe box is a little tight but not nearly to the point where it'd cause soreness or pain. I worry it will tear pretty quickly that's all. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I will order a second pair and I'll probably get them half a size larger. Probably. Need to try it at the store first.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowman and All,

Here is a chart provided by Nytro to help select a Hoka shoe.

I was unable to find the original chart on the HOKA website and this copy is a difficult to read …. apologies …

This chart shows dimensions (drop etc.) – meta rocker – fit – weights – category – cushioning – responsiveness – inherent stability ....... for each shoe.

[As compared to other HOKA models]

When you can read it the chart spells out the differences between shoe models and is helpful in making a selection.

For instance the chart shows the Bondi 4 with three dots for stability and the Conquest 2 with 4 dots for stability indicating that HOKA considers the Conquest more stable. That kind of comparison data is available on the chart for what appears to be the entire line of HOKA shoes.

I liked the Stinson Lite the best of those I tried on ..... but I am very old and very slow.

Also here is a review of some HOKAs with some cut in half views:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Hoka_Shoe_Review

And another:

http://www.boulderrunningcompany.com/...one-information-page

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
I'm wearing the Cliftons at Ironman Canada tomorrow. I will let you all know how they feel from miles 114.4 to 140.6.

How did your race go? What were the Cliftons like?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review, specifically the info about the tighter toe box. That's a deal breaker for someone like me with wide forefeet. The Bondi is just wide enough in the toe box for me, so I guess I'm sticking with those.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
I'm wearing the Cliftons at Ironman Canada tomorrow. I will let you all know how they feel from miles 114.4 to 140.6.

How did your race go? What were the Cliftons like?

I had a nasty leg cramp start at about mile 80 of the bike. The climb back to Whistler made it much worse. My leg seized up several times on the run so I bailed after mile 6 and DNF'd. So I will let you know after IMMT in 2.5 weeks. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things:

1) I've been in the Conquest for over a month, bought the Clifton and loved it so much that I bought a Bondi 3 last night.
2) FUCK ME! When is the Bondi 4 coming out? I like the stability of the Conquest but want that Bondi plush!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ran in or raced in The Clifton with no socks? If so how did it work out and how far?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've now got a half dozen runs (up to 90min) in the Cliftons. Have been running in Bondi3's since April.

The Cliftons have softened up nicely. I am an under-pronator. In regular shoes, I tend to run on the outside edges of my feet and that is problematic.

With the Bondis I found it more natural and comfortable to press down into the ball of my foot, rolling toward the big toe. It took a bit for that to feel natural with the Cliftons since they are firmer.

But it's working good now, and I will definitely race in the Cliftons and continue to use them on shorter and threshold runs. They are far better for quicker running that the Bondi.

I'll continue to wear the Bondi on the long Sunday runs. They're just so cush and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, there's a Bondi 4 already?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aloha All,

I am large (6'2", 210) Hoka fanatic. Been running in Bondi, Bondi 3, Conquest for over 3 years.

Just completed Vineman (full) in the Clifton in 95 degree weather. Wow, awesome shoe! Light, comfy, fast.

Felt great all 26 miles. Took third AG (50 - 54) in the run and 4th AG overall. Only my 2nd full distance Tri.

Could not be more pleased with the Clifton, also excited about the Bondi 4. I find the Clifton runs a half size larger than the Bondis

I to never really got used to the Conquest, too stiff.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you got any more thoughts about the Clifton and Huaka now that you've had some more time in both of them? Anybody else run in both and compare the two?

I'm trying to decide between the shoes, and would like more info about cushioning, rocker, fit, etc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [Subldoed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, the Clifton is a nice combo of light and cushion. Looking forward to racing in them. I also agree about the Conquest being too stiff.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For you runners. I have had 3 foot surgeries in last 18 months. My big toe on right foot is now completely fused. Doc says I need to switch to mid foot strike. Which shoe would be better for that?

Thanks6
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: Hoka Clifton & Huaka [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rec'd my Clifton's from Hoka and here's my take (probably nothing new). I've ran in both the Bondi2 and the Stinson Tarmac (last years version) for perspective. The Clifton is very light and flexible under foot. The same spongy feeling as the Bondi only less of it. It really feels like the Bondi to me only the mini-me version of it. The ride is very soft and cushy and my feet were telling me they could feel less support after a 7 miler and my feet were a little sore afterwards. I'll call this an adjustment period since they are used to a very plush ride. My second run in them this was gone and the shoes felt better. I ran in them barefeet and had no issues but it was only a 3 miler. When running at a faster pace is where they really feel nice with a good amount of shock absorption and road feel. To me another big difference is on downhills they dont feel like they propel you forward like the Bondi's do. They just feel like the cushion bottoms out the ride gets more firm. But I am a bigger runner at 210lbs so this might be a factor. Overall I like them and will race in them and train in the Bondis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stodr wrote:
For you runners. I have had 3 foot surgeries in last 18 months. My big toe on right foot is now completely fused. Doc says I need to switch to mid foot strike. Which shoe would be better for that?
It depends...
What shoes have you been using? What heel/forefoot offset are you used to running and walking in? How wide is your forefoot? What led to the need for fusing your toe?

Comparing the two shoe lines I'm most familiar with--Hoka & Altra:
Both Hokas and Altra offer a variance of stack. (Altra currently offering the largest range.)
Hokas have different upper and stack materials for a range of stiffness. Altras are always flexible (less so on the higher stack and trail shoes--i.e. Paradigm & Olympus).
Hokas are NARROW. Altras give LOTS of room for your toes and metatarsals.
Hokas have 4-6mm offset. Altras are zero drop, which takes time to get used to if you've not run 0-drop before and don't spend a lot of time barefoot.

I successfully ran in Stinson Tarmacs for the first 1.5 years after ankle surgery and was pleased with their customer service. However, I'm very happy to be back in zero drop, flexible shoes with a ROOMY toe box again--Altras. All attempts at replacing the Stinsons with another Hoka only led to foot wear & injury.

It's a matter of finding what works for your foot physiology and running style. I personally find mid-foot strike harder to do in 6mm drop shoes, 4mm drop shoes are ok, 2mm drop leads to mid-foot drop or even slightly posterior (for me), and zero drop tends to have me landing about right on mid-foot or even slightly anterior at times.

If you've had operations to correct bunions then get Correct Toes and shoes with a WIDE forefoot last.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thanks. Second not a big runner. Mostly a biker because of toe but am required to run to pass fitness tests. Injuries were from turf toe back when played football in college. Put up with it for last 25 years and finally the joint had to be cut out. As for shoes never stayed with anything in particular. I do have some zero drop but think I need a lot more cushion now with a bigger area for my toe with the hardware in it. Also probaly need a stiffer shoe because I cant roll over the toe now and might have to run a little pigeon toed on that side.

I understand if not enough info, but thanks for help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YooHoo! Just got an email from RRS this AM - my Huakas, preordered on 6/22 for 7/5 shipping were finally shipped this AM.
Should be able to review in a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stodr wrote:
First thanks. Second not a big runner. Mostly a biker because of toe but am required to run to pass fitness tests. Injuries were from turf toe back when played football in college. Put up with it for last 25 years and finally the joint had to be cut out. As for shoes never stayed with anything in particular. I do have some zero drop but think I need a lot more cushion now with a bigger area for my toe with the hardware in it. Also probaly need a stiffer shoe because I cant roll over the toe now and might have to run a little pigeon toed on that side.

I understand if not enough info, but thanks for help.
Zero drop is independent of stack. For example, Altra has a quiver of shoes, all zero drop, that offer a huge range in stack height (cushioning). It will take time to find the biomechanics that will work for you. A stiffer shoe does seem to be warranted but I'd recommend contacting Dr. Mark Cucuzzella and ask for input re. shoe stiffness, stack, and biomechanics.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply

Prev Next