Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P90X = Very Cool [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
If those 3 hours don't stress your "muscular system" what is being stressed?

My cardiorespiratory system silly! The primary reason I could not hold 250 watts for 3 hours today (like when I am race fit) is because my heart and mitochondria, etc are not to that level yet.

It doesn't have to do with my muscles, in the strength sense, because my 5 sec power, squatting ability, etc etc does not change throughout that period of getting fitter- probably because those things are related to PCr and not glycolysis, beta oxidation, etc

-Physiojoe

Before you call anyone silly, are not those mitochondria that you are lacking in skeletal muscle? That's why muscular endurance is a silly term; it's redundant. All endurance is muscular in nature. If you're doing a 3 hour ride, I doubt that cardiac output is limiting your performance. It's not like you're at VO2max or your heart gets too tired to keep beating.

I also very much doubt that you are severely taxing your respiratory system since, from what I've read and heard, the primary limiter at VO2max for most people is cardiac output, not respiratory volume, and for a 3 horu ride, you're well below VO2max.

I said nothing about strength being a limiter. I would offer that on a 3 hour ride, most are limited by muscular metabolic fitness, not cardiovascular fitness.
Last edited by: JollyRogers: Dec 15, 10 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about a 55 geezer IMAZ finisher who's now doing P90X (and finding it damn tough)? Maybe I'll bulk up and drown anyway.....
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What about a 55 geezer IMAZ finisher who's now doing P90X (and finding it damn tough)? Maybe I'll bulk up and drown anyway.....

Okay, you are old enough to remember the original "Superstars" TV series. Do you remember Joe Frazier in the swimming competition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPk2zl5s6xM

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great reading in this thread, its hilarious! Someone should be documenting great quotes throughout ST and make a book... maybe call it, "How to De-Pussify America: The HTFU Lifestyle of Slowtwitcher's" All we need is Captain Canada's workout plan from a year or two ago and this thread would be complete.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dforbes - agreed. One of the best posts ever (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2490974):

CaptainCanada.........

Monday:
AM: wake up, masturbate
PM: clean bike, drive to coffee shop and hang out and look like I am training

Tuesday:
PM: Go to pool, find excuse not to swim, soak in hot tub and flirt with female swimmers. Go to pub and drink beer.

Wednesday:
AM: wake up, think about masturbating, go back to sleep
PM: short run, as in from home to video store and back. Watch three movies. masturbate.

Thursday:
AM: run 28km, bike 180km, swim 5km
PM: spend entire evening bragging online about huge training week

Friday:
AM: masturbate
PM: masturbate

Saturday:
AM: sleep in
PM: watch video of Kona. Count as training.

Sunday:
Scheduled day off.
Cheat and masturbate anyway.

Like yours, this is theoretical. Sometimes I masturbate more.
Last edited by: miwoodar: Dec 15, 10 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [miwoodar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YESSSSS!!! It is now complete...

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you should have followed my replies and what was said prior. I was replying to someone who suggested endurance athletes should "stress their muscular system" in the gym, instead of aerobic type activity.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished an Ironman and started P90X three weeks later. Thought I was in pretty stellar shape after the IM. Apparently not. I've had my a$$ handed to me by P90X. Love it love it love it.

I'm on week 11 of doubles and trying to decide if I want to do another round right away or wait. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Perhaps you should have followed my replies and what was said prior. I was replying to someone who suggested endurance athletes should "stress their muscular system" in the gym, instead of aerobic type activity.

-Physiojoe

I followed your reply where you said that a 3 hour ride did not stress your muscular system. Your reply was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think most of the things that PJoe has been saying have been wrong, no surprise there tho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

-Physiojoe

I followed your reply where you said that a 3 hour ride did not stress your muscular system. Your reply was wrong.

Let me rephrase: PCr system, not muscular system. Corrected!

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, I think most of the things that PJoe has been saying have been wrong, no surprise there tho.

Uh, no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CurleyElle,

Awesome job. They have some other videos called P90X+ and Insanity that I hear up the the workout intensity. You may want to give those a try.
Last edited by: TRI: Dec 16, 10 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [rareid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few points of clarification.

I currently lift weights, but not to be fast.
Paulo isn't a "rabbit," but is not a bad runner either. As of a few years ago he'd never done an IM. Has he done one since then?
You might beat me in 100m as I don't know how fast you are, but I wanted to add that I also tripple jumped 38 feet and pole vaulted 11 feet in high school, so I wasn't exactly slow.

; ^ )

Carry on.

Quote:

I think a better way to phrase your last statement would be "I think triathletes who aren't solely concerned with their tri-specific fitness" or something along those lines. I've been down the same road you are on right now with regards to weight training/P90x/Crossfit/etc. discussions on this forum. Been blasted by Paulo and others but I probably fall into the same category as you. I don't get paid to do triathlons. I don't have the running ability of Paulo, Jordan, BarryP, or any other rabbits on here. Never have, never will. Could probably beat any of them in a 100m race any day of the week but triathlon runs aren't 100m. I know that a 10:30 IM would be excellent for me and probably be above my genetic potential and/or above my willingness to put in that amount of tri work. Paulo and Jordan probably wouldn't want to get in the water if they felt like they would cross the line in 10:30. This argument will never die. I simply choose to lift weights b/c I like being physically strong. It is something that, when I need it for my job, I need it. No amount of SBR will help me in those situations. Same thing with my Jiu-Jitsu training. I can lift weights all day long but that doesn't translate 100% to the same strength on the mat. Sport-specific training is and always will be the best way to excel at a specific sport. GPP, as offered by Crossfit or P90X to some extent, is great for the average person who doesn't have anything to train for and simply wants to be fit. But P90x and Crossfit don't make you SBR faster. I would imagine that those who see gains in improvement from weight training in the SBR times are seeing it b/c of recovery time away from the SBR but not b/c of the weight training. For you and I, and others on this forum, it may seem strange that someone would not want to be able to do a few pull-ups but those same people who aren't spending time in the gym are probably putting in more SBR training than we are and probably have better times. You simply need to be able to decide what trade-off you are willing to accept.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe that I pick this, of all threads, as my first Tri Forum post here on ST, but here goes......

I did my first round of P90X in '05 and it's what got me into racing and triathlon - I loved the competition aspect of it (if you do the program correctly, you are competing with yourself each and every workout - weight lifted, reps, etc.) and wanted more with my improved fitness. I still use the program and other Beachbody programs as they fit into my SBR training plan, and think they are truly fabulous for folks who are interested in this sort of training as an augmentation to SBR.

Two years ago I joined the Beachbody team as a "coach" (hate that term for this job but it's what they use) - I'm a reseller of the products in addition to helping people with choosing the right program, structuring a training plan around SBR, exercise modifications, and motivation/accountability (all of those extra bits are free). TRI mentioned P90X+ and Insanity - two more VERY good programs that could easily fit into a triathletes schedule nicely. ShaunT (creator of Insanity) is coming out with a follow-up called Asylum due to be released in early '11 that has more of a sports specific aspect to it (ladder drills, suicides - the clips remind me of some drills I used to do as a high school basketball player, and some drills my son does in football).

If anyone is interested in hearing more about any of the Beachbody programs, seeing clips of the workouts, etc., feel free to contact me and I can hook you up. For the people here already doing the X or Insanity, I'd love it if you'd consider signing up under me as your coach (all free - I'll just keep you apprised of up and coming releases and can help with any questions or issues you might have). My email is: mspina@beachbodycoach.com, or check out my site (where you can find the product list and info on how to sign up with me): http://www.beachbodycoach.com/mspina
Last edited by: mspina: Dec 17, 10 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [CurlyElle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm on week 11 of doubles and trying to decide if I want to do another round right away or wait. Thoughts?

Are you sick of Tony and the X? Looking for a bit of a change? More of a change? What are your goals for the next 2-3 months? Lots of things you could do, including another round, depending on what you want to accomplish and whether or not you can stand to hear Tony's jokes for another few months. :)
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [NiceTriCoaching] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hey NiceTriCoaching,

First of all - excellent transformation! I've just recently purchased P90X and just looking to do something different than the normal gym strength stuff.
I know its a bit of an old thread, but do you perhaps have some sort of schedule you used to follow doing P90X and the normal S/B/R training? I'm looking to incorparate P90X in to my reduced Volume training - and would love to get your opinion on how to effectively engage the disciplines.
Thanks in advance buddy!
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Joy!!
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently, you must shave your chest and stomach.
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [miwoodar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miwoodar wrote:

CaptainCanada.........

Monday:
PM: clean bike, drive to coffee shop and hang out and look like I am training

Tuesday:
PM: Go to pool, find excuse not to swim, soak in hot tub and flirt with female swimmers. Go to pub and drink beer.

Wednesday:
AM: wake up, think about masturbating, go back to sleep
PM: short run, as in from home to video store and back. Watch three movies. masturbate.

Thursday:
AM: run 28km, bike 180km, swim 5km
PM: spend entire evening bragging online about huge training week

Friday:
AM: masturbate
PM: masturbate

Saturday:
AM: sleep in
PM: watch video of Kona. Count as training.

Sunday:
Scheduled day off.
Cheat and masturbate anyway.

Like yours, this is theoretical. Sometimes I masturbate more.

Oh WOW. Think I have just found my new Triathlon coach,

anybody know how to get in touch with Captain Canada???

This P90X thing - its quite expensive isn't it??? Would it be possible that some people are just advertising for free here on Slowtwitch???

Any way its Wednesday and I got movies to watch and masturbating to get through. Wish me luck.

http://mobile.twitter.com/BLambTriathlete
Athlete of the Week
Meet the Team
Headwear
Quote Reply

Prev Next